Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freshman QB De'Andre Johnson dismissed from FSU after video showing him hitting a woman

To be fair, she had her fist raised, then punched him first, and then he retaliated. At least his hand was open and it wasn't a punch. 

If you are going to throw a punch, don't act surprised if you get hit back. Girl or not. 

Yeah. I'm not condoning what happened in the video is okay but could he fight this based on self defense in a way? If you're watching only the video, context only shows him moving up to the bar and the girl turning around with her fist raised and then punches him first. He just so happened to pop her back. Yes, that is not right but what she did isn't right either. Could be interesting to find out later on.

To be fair, she had her fist raised, then punched him first, and then he retaliated. At least his hand was open and it wasn't a punch.

If you are going to throw a punch, don't act surprised if you get hit back. Girl or not.

looked like his fist was closed to me lol he smashed her from what I can see and I get what your saying and agree but her hit look s very very weak and his he punched her like it was a UFC match

looked like his fist was closed to me lol he smashed her from what I can see and I get what your saying and agree but her hit look s very very weak and his he punched her like it was a UFC match

If that was a punch, then that's the weakest dude I've ever seen. Lol 

Haven't any of these guys been told no good comes out of retaliation versus a woman as opposed to walking away from confrontation?

Alcohol makes people do stupid things.

Women included.  They also need to be aware that there are guys out there that won't mind punching back.  Not that I'm in any way condoning such a thing, but women can't just run around punching men (especially drunk men) and just assume there will be no retaliation.

To be fair, he managed to punch that girl hard enough to give her a bloody nose and result in his assault and battery charges. I guess his retaliation against a woman was worth it. Girl or not; he just lost his career for being a *. 

Women included.  They also need to be aware that there are guys out there that won't mind punching back.  Not that I'm in any way condoning such a thing, but women can't just run around punching men (especially drunk men) and just assume there will be no retaliation.

This is the same logic of "I'm not racist, but..."

His "retaliation" resulted in criminal charges. Sure, she shouldn't have hit first, but it still don't give him the right to act like an animal and get himself arrested punching her back with force. All he had to do was walk away like a mature adult. 

Blame her all you want, but he didn't have to hit her back. She's not to blame for him getting assault and battery charges and kicked out of a college. He brought it all on himself by acting like a barbaric hooligan. 

To be fair, he managed to punch that girl hard enough to give her a bloody nose and result in his assault and battery charges. I guess his retaliation against a woman was worth it. Girl or not; he just lost his career for being a *. 

playing D-1 yea hes done, but he'll still get a shot from some D-2 school

I don't think Dungy gets enough credit for harping on this while he was coaching.  "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Bars late at night, with intoxicated people getting more intoxicated, are a recipe for disaster.  Both students made mistakes, but what do you expect with a bunch of drunk 20-somethings in a small space?  I doubt that's the only stupid thing someone at that bar did that night, but since this guy is semi-famous (and on camera) it became news.

I don't think Dungy gets enough credit for harping on this while he was coaching.  "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Bars late at night, with intoxicated people getting more intoxicated, are a recipe for disaster.  Both students made mistakes, but what do you expect with a bunch of drunk 20-somethings in a small space?  I doubt that's the only stupid thing someone at that bar did that night, but since this guy is semi-famous (and on camera) it became news.

I agree. It's only a matter of time before you get yourself into a less than desirable situation. People who go out and party every chance the get aren't really looking at "if" anymore but "when.... watch out Gronk.

His "retaliation" resulted in criminal charges. Sure, she shouldn't have hit first, but it still don't give him the right to act like an animal and get himself arrested punching her back with force. All he had to do was walk away like a mature adult. 

Blame her all you want, but he didn't have to hit her back. She's not to blame for him getting assault and battery charges and kicked out of a college. He brought it all on himself by acting like a barbaric hooligan. 

I wonder if that female was charged as well. If not, double standard.

I haven't been to a bar in a long time because of situations like this.  Last time I was at a bar, I was in the outdoor patio area talking to a female comedian who happened to be black.  All of a sudden this drunk white girl started yelling at me that "NO, she was NOT going to show me her teets!!!"  I had never seen, much less talked, to this girl before.  If it had been a guy yelling at me like that, I probably would have left the bar immediately, because she was angry and getting in my face about it.  I think she had me mixed up with someone else, or was reliving some sexual harassment from the past or something because she wasn't listening to a word I said and just kept yelling at me.

I tried to ignore it, but she was drunk and beligerent.  At one point, the comedian I was talking to started talking back to the drunk girl (which was kinda funny since she was a quick-witted, mostly sober comedian), and the drunk girl started spouting off all this racist stuff as well.  She called the comedian a "sluht" and a "ghetto ho" and tried to fight with her, it was ridiculous.  The manager had to kick her out of the bar, but she waited in the parking lot and CONTINUED yelling at me when I tried to leave.

She is lucky she was yelling at me and not some drunk meathead woman-beater.

There are cameras EVERYWHERE. If you do something stupid, or against the law, you're going to get caught.

Aside from that fact, (cameras everywhere), just do the right thing. And, yes, Tony Dungy was correct.

Just...wow. no its not the same as saying "I'm not a racist, but..." unless you want to clarify what would have come after the "but".

I did not say it was the girls fault the qb got kicked out of school. I didn't say it was her fault that Mr qb is facing criminal charges. Though if he is then she should be as well.

They were both responsible for the altercation even happening. Yes, if he had walked away like a mature adult then he wouldn't have been kicked out of school nor be facing criminal charges. But that shoe fits on both feet....if she had acted like a mature adult, then he would not have been kicked out of school nor be facing criminal charges.

He definitely should be held reasonable for his actions...I never condoned nor excused what he did. However, that girl had no more right to hit him than he had to hit her.

I love when people say stuff like "she was trying to hit him too or was drunk/angry." Oh please, 9 times out of 10 these athletes can DESTROY most women.

Learn from Ray Rice. Even if she slugged him don't matter. One punch by him and she is out cold. Even her shoes came off.

I love when people say stuff like "she was trying to hit him too or was drunk/angry." Oh please, 9 times out of 10 these athletes can DESTROY most women.

Learn from Ray Rice. Even if she slugged him don't matter. One punch by him and she is out cold. Even her shoes came off.

Or all people can learn to keep their hands to them selves or face the consequences.

And that's exactly why women, and even most men, shouldn't provoke them.  Again, I'm not taking Johnson's side, condoning what he did or anything like that.  He was wrong.  Dead wrong.  However, if that girl hadn't provoked Johnson, then nothing would have happened. 

Or all people can learn to keep their hands to them selves or face the consequences.

Right......since women are usually such a serious threat physically to these athletes.

Okay, this thread was revealing to read. Moving on now.

Right......since women are usually such a serious threat physically to these athletes.

Okay, this thread was revealing to read. Moving on now.

Does that really matter?  Legally speaking, the chick in the video had no more right to hit Johnson than he had to hit her.  It's pathetic that he did hit her, but again, if she had acted like a reasonably responsible adult then this whole thing likely never happens.

I agree. I in no way condone battery on a woman and in my life I have never laid my hands on a woman in anger. I have always gone by the guidlines that you can push me, slap me, smack me all you want, but if you throw a punch like a man you better be ready to take a punch like one

Wow - I am truly surprised at some of the answers in this thread.  

I am of the opinion that there is no justification for hitting a woman - ever.  Does not matter if provoked or not - you simply do not do it. 

I am of the opinion that there is no justification for hitting a woman - ever.  Does not matter if provoked or not - you simply do not do it. 

No justification ever? Really? None?!

What if a woman is pointing a gun and about to shoot me? Is it ok if I falcon punch her then? 

No justification ever? Really? None?!

What if a woman is pointing a gun and about to shoot me? Is it ok if I falcon punch her then? 

Knew someone would take my comments to that level.  Of course in that instance you protect yourself at all costs - did not really think that needed to be explained.

Let me re-phrase - in the circumstances that were seen on the video or in any situation where there is no immediate life and death threat, there is absolutely no justification for hitting a woman - EVER.  You simply do not do it.  One, it is just an amazingly cowardly act and two - there is no good that comes from it.  I don't care if she swung and hit first, don't hit back.    

Knew someone would take my comments to that level.  Of course in that instance you protect yourself at all costs - did not really think that needed to be explained.

Let me re-phrase - in the circumstances that were seen on the video or in any situation where there is no immediate life and death threat, there is absolutely no justification for hitting a woman - EVER.  You simply do not do it.  One, it is just an amazingly cowardly act and two - there is no good that comes from it.  I don't care if she swung and hit first, don't hit back.

Yep....and had Johnson held his fire and walked away there, he'd probably be given a ton of credit for not reacting physically like he did in what clearly was not a life or death situation.

Too late now.

I am of the opinion that there is no justification for hitting a woman - ever. Does not matter if provoked or not - you simply do not do it.

I am of the opinion that there is no justification for hitting another person, ever... no matter the gender.

I also know that sometimes, under certain circumstances another person can easily push even the most mild mannered to their limits, and it's best to just walk away when that happens, but that is also easier said than done sometimes.

Lessons learned.

So if I punch you in the face (and somehow not knock you out) you would just be a mature adult and walk away huh? 

This story reminds me of Pacman Jones who was in a similar situation about two year's ago when he hit a woman at a bar.  As in this case, there was also a video that showed what happened.

This is the thread where it was discussed:

Since this FSU QB was cut, I was wondering if Jones was given any disciplinary action by the NFL. Maybe, I'm missing something; but I can't find anything . . . not even a small fine. 

There is absolutely justification for hitting a woman.  Defense of self, defense of others (i.e. the man and woman's son who is at risk).  I'm not saying that being called racial epithets is proper justification, but I will never understand the argument that women should not be hit under any circumstances.  Guns, knives, blunt objects, etc., are plenty enough to equal the playing field between a physically dominant male and woman who would be less capable to defend herself without a weapon.  

In essence, for the vast majority of cases, there's no reason for a man to hit a woman, but sometimes, there is.  There's no such thing as a blanket statement that no man should ever hit a woman, regardless of the situation.  It's not always possible for the other person to walk away, much less leave a helpless child in the process.

Didn't see this before I said the above.  Seems we both acknowledge the reality of hte situations, either in the situation with Johnson or in the alternative hypothetical.  That's all anyone can really do.  Of course there are times and situations one can walk away from.  I've done it even though I wanted so badly to retaliate.  But in a bar, what's the point?  Who's going to take it to the internet that the provoker talked a bunch of trash to a guy who woudn't fight back?  It's like, "Uhh, cool story, bro..."