Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wondering How Much Zach Kerr Improves In 2015

krunk

"55 DOUBLE-TEAMS DRAWN IS AN IMPRESSIVE NUMBER, AND AN IMPORTANT ONE IN THE COLTS' TWO-GAP SCHEME."

Other than the above one thing that stood out to me as I was watching the gif replays of Kerrs snaps, the guy seems to just rag doll centers on a regular basis. He just seems to take them and toss them in the back field like little kids or something.  I don't know the amount of times he played over the center, but it seemed to me like they needed to play him there more often.  He had some bad games for sure, but I'm interested to see how he's used and in what ways he's improved in 2015

http://coltsacademy.com/?p=2883

I thought Kerr just got worn down as the season went on. Higher level of competition, longer season, and he's probably the biggest motor and biggest effort guy on the DL, but that starts to add up over the course of a season, especially for a rookie. He hardly played after that first Pats game, when he was pretty much destroyed by double teams in their double strong scheme (which Ben Gundy does a great job breaking down in that article, by the way). 

He doesn't really have any pass rush moves, but he has good arm stretch to stack and shed, and can cross the face of a blocker when he gets push into the backfield. I don't know how he makes the roster this year, but I do like him. 

Do you really think he's not gonna make the roster? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious as to who you think would beat him out that's currently on the 90 man.

Jones, Langford, Chapman and Anderson are pretty much locks. I don't see us keeping more than 6, and maybe only 5. And Kerr only played 43 snaps over the last 8 games of the season, including playoffs, so it's reasonable to question his standing. He'll be in competition with Hughes, Quarles and Parry for one of those last two spots.

I guess I shouldn't say I don't know how he makes it; that's an overstatement. But he's not a lock.

Jones, Langford, Chapman and Anderson are pretty much locks. I don't see us keeping more than 6, and maybe only 5. And Kerr only played 43 snaps over the last 8 games of the season, including playoffs, so it's reasonable to question his standing. He'll be in competition with Hughes, Quarles and Parry for one of those last two spots.

I guess I shouldn't say I don't know how he makes it; that's an overstatement. But he's not a lock.

I didn't even consider the possibility of Kerr not making the team, but when you put it that way there's some sense to that line of thinking. Won't know until the pads get put on, but I can't see Parry getting cut unless he's less than what was expected.  That would leave Hughes, Kerr and Quarles.  I would assume that last spot would be between Hughes and Kerr with Quarles being cut and spending portions of the year on the practice squad again.

In regards to Chapman why don't you see any scenario where either Hughes or Kerr could move in on Chapman as the starting nose and Chapman ends up being released?  I'm just asking in general, not that I think Chapman needs to be released.

decent rotational player, but i dont think we will see him be an nfl starter or anything.

why don't you see any scenario where either Hughes or Kerr could move in on Chapman as the starting nose and Chapman ends up being released? 

it would be great for the team to see someone challenge chapman, but im not sure the talent or consistancy is there for kerr or hughes. you want to have a stud at nose tackle, but very few humans on earth fit the bill.  next to QB, 3-4 nose tackle is among the hardest positions to fill on an nfl roster

I think we keep could keep 7 on the D Line. 6 for sure. We started last year with 5 RB I think that number drops to 3 and I don't see 3 C's on the opening day roster either. Even with all that we still kept 6 DL.

I think Langford Chapman Jones Anderson are safe. Then Kerr Hughes Quarles and Parry battle for the last spots. Its up to them if it's up to them but I think we could manipulate the roster to carry 6 even 7 if the players dictate it

Kerr really isn't anything to get excited about. Great effort guy work am incredible story, but he's not a lock to make the roster as Superman said. Even as a rotational D-lineman, I'd take Hughes and Quarrels over Kerr. Lets not forget we have Anderson too who was a high round draft pick.

Parry has a better shot because he played against better competition and has a better overall skill set coming out.

Kerr really isn't anything to get excited about. Great effort guy work am incredible story, but he's not a lock to make the roster as Superman said. Even as a rotational D-lineman, I'd take Hughes and Quarrels over Kerr. Lets not forget we have Anderson too who was a high round draft pick.

Parry has a better shot because he played against better competition and has a better overall skill set coming out.

you must have missed the 3 sacks Kerr had last year

"55 DOUBLE-TEAMS DRAWN IS AN IMPRESSIVE NUMBER, AND AN IMPORTANT ONE IN THE COLTS' TWO-GAP SCHEME."

Other than the above one thing that stood out to me as I was watching the gif replays of Kerrs snaps, the guy seems to just rag doll centers on a regular basis. He just seems to take them and toss them in the back field like little kids or something.  I don't know the amount of times he played over the center, but it seemed to me like they needed to play him there more often.  He had some bad games for sure, but I'm interested to see how he's used and in what ways he's improved in 2015

http://coltsacademy.com/?p=2883

I'm a Fightin' Blue Hen from University of Delaware (graduated 2008 with Joe Flacco) -- I am rooting for Kerr, but am not so optimistic he'll remain on our roster -- will expand more in replies below.

I thought Kerr just got worn down as the season went on. Higher level of competition, longer season, and he's probably the biggest motor and biggest effort guy on the DL, but that starts to add up over the course of a season, especially for a rookie. He hardly played after that first Pats game, when he was pretty much destroyed by double teams in their double strong scheme (which Ben Gundy does a great job breaking down in that article, by the way). 

He doesn't really have any pass rush moves, but he has good arm stretch to stack and shed, and can cross the face of a blocker when he gets push into the backfield. I don't know how he makes the roster this year, but I do like him. 

Kerr was a UDFA from a D-IAA (FCS) school -- so I was not shocked that he wore down as the season progressed.  A big guy, with talent for sure, but based on his personal background (homeless) and his collegiate football background, I am just happy to see him have made the team and done some good work.

Do you really think he's not gonna make the roster? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious as to who you think would beat him out that's currently on the 90 man.

We kept 6 last year -- we have 8-10 guys who can play in the NFL on our D-Line right now. 

Don't forget Jeris Pendleton -- he really impressed me late in the year 2 years ago and is coming back from injury.  I think Hughes has more invested towards him by the team than Kerr, also.

Kerr is very good in certain situations and needs work in others to become a more consistent defensive lineman.  I think I'd take him over Quarles, but not over Hughes.  I don't know enough about Parry, but I think it's a stretch to say Parry has a better shot 'because he has played against better competition' -- Kerr just spent a year playing against NFL competition, which Parry has not yet done.

All in all, I really hope Kerr improves and can make this roster, but I am not going to be shocked to see if he winds up elsewhere next year.  If he doesn't stick here, he definitely has a few more years in the NFL in him.  While it may be unfortunate for some, this is a good problem for our team to have -- we have atleast 8 guys on our roster, maybe 10, who can play in the NFL along the defensive line (Jones, Chapman, Langford, Kerr, Quarles, Hughes, Pendleton have all shown they can do it -- Anderson looks to be one of our more promising rookies and Parry got drafted for a reason -- and Earl Okine at 6'6" 290 lbs. is a guy I imagine at least makes it to an NFL practice squad this year).

Hughes will beat out Chapman for NT this yr.  The kid played very well despite the fact that he played through the loss of a child so his mind could not have been all there all the time, not to mention the stress and emotions and issues with the family he had to overcome.

I am a huge Hughes fan this yr

I'm a Fightin' Blue Hen from University of Delaware (graduated 2008 with Joe Flacco) -- I am rooting for Kerr, but am not so optimistic he'll remain on our roster -- will expand more in replies below.

Kerr was a UDFA from a D-IAA (FCS) school -- so I was not shocked that he wore down as the season progressed.  A big guy, with talent for sure, but based on his personal background (homeless) and his collegiate football background, I am just happy to see him have made the team and done some good work.

We kept 6 last year -- we have 8-10 guys who can play in the NFL on our D-Line right now. 

Don't forget Jeris Pendleton -- he really impressed me late in the year 2 years ago and is coming back from injury.  I think Hughes has more invested towards him by the team than Kerr, also.

Kerr is very good in certain situations and needs work in others to become a more consistent defensive lineman.  I think I'd take him over Quarles, but not over Hughes.  I don't know enough about Parry, but I think it's a stretch to say Parry has a better shot 'because he has played against better competition' -- Kerr just spent a year playing against NFL competition, which Parry has not yet done.

All in all, I really hope Kerr improves and can make this roster, but I am not going to be shocked to see if he winds up elsewhere next year.  If he doesn't stick here, he definitely has a few more years in the NFL in him.  While it may be unfortunate for some, this is a good problem for our team to have -- we have atleast 8 guys on our roster, maybe 10, who can play in the NFL along the defensive line (Jones, Chapman, Langford, Kerr, Quarles, Hughes, Pendleton have all shown they can do it -- Anderson looks to be one of our more promising rookies and Parry got drafted for a reason -- and Earl Okine at 6'6" 290 lbs. is a guy I imagine at least makes it to an NFL practice squad this year).

After thinking things over some more I'm thinking we'll keep around 6 again.  To me that 6 will be Jones, Chapman, Langford, Anderson, Parry, Hughes.

This is all premature of course because who knows what happens in the preseason in terms of injuries and performance. Quarles still has some PS eligibility,

and it's already been proven if you cut him he'll probably clear waivers. I'm guessing the likelihood of him clearing waivers changes if he has a really good preseason.  Assuming he does clear waivers you could stash him on the PS probably along with Earl Okine. Maybe there's a reasonable chance they cut Parry and keep Kerr, but I just don't think the chances are very high that Parry would clear the waiver wire.  I think Hughes is trending in the right direction, and is able to do many of the things that Kerr  does. In the end I think that will make it more prbable that the Colts will move away from Kerr.

Hughes will beat out Chapman for NT this yr.  The kid played very well despite the fact that he played through the loss of a child so his mind could not have been all there all the time, not to mention the stress and emotions and issues with the family he had to overcome.

I am a huge Hughes fan this yr

Anything is possible, but imo it won't happen. :)