Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Supplemental draft: Clemson LT Isaiah Battle

For me,  the issues with Battle are many....

If we draft him,  I don't think we can put him on the PS,  he's too talented, and so at some point in the year,   a lesser team, out of the playoff run, will grab him and we're out the pick.

So, he's got to be on the 53 man roster.   And frankly,  I think that likely means,  he's not going to make the game-day 46,  so he's going to be on the sidelines all year long, week in and week out.    In other words,  our roster will be a man down all season.   He'll never be more than a guy on the field goal/extra point teams.

Are the Colts good enough to carry someone like that all year?    In a year where we're targeting the Super Bowl?

And we haven't even started with all the off-the-field baggage he brings.

To me,  battle doesn't feel like the right fit for the Colts.     I don't see us offering a pick on him,  unless he somehow manages to fall to,  say the 6th round.     And I don't see that happening.

Just my two cents......

I think the roster issue would be manageable, if not ideal. Injuries at other positions might force some tough decisions, but that happens every year. I think you put up with it for a talented player with big upside and long term potential.

I agree that he's not the right fit for the Colts. Maybe a couple years ago, but from the end of last season, Grigson has made several comments suggesting that the staff is shying away from young guys with issues. At least for right now. Too many knuckleheads in a short period of time, and losing some of them has set the roster back in terms of talent and youth development. If we still had Purifoy, Boyett, Rainey, Rogers, Jackson, etc., the roster might have more up and comers. If Richardson had been as committed as he should have been, that trade might not have been quite as terrible. 

And then there's the really serious issues in the last year, Irsay's arrest and McNary's arrest, both of which probably shocked the organization. Obviously on different levels, but those are more serious than a player getting a DUI or failing a drug test. And then all the NFL disciplinary stuff of last season. All this stuff combined seems to have led to a stricter and more conservative approach from the Colts staff when it comes to off the field issues.

So yeah, I very much doubt that they put in a bid on Battle. dw49 said earlier that he puts the odds at about 20:1, which is basically a 5% chance. I think that's fair.

How long does it take to find out if a team picked up someone in the supplemental?

Only 7 players are eligible to be drafted in the supplemental draft this year, Only Battle is being talked about as being drafted, The draft is tomorrow, I'd expect we found out the same day if the Colts picked one of the players......Not likely to happen http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499952/article/2015-nfl-supplemental-mock-draft

Only 7 players are eligible to be drafted in the supplemental draft this year, Only Battle is being talked about as being drafted, The draft is tomorrow, I'd expect we found out the same day if the Colts picked one of the players......Not likely to happen http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499952/article/2015-nfl-supplemental-mock-draft

Thanks. I was thinking today was Thursday.