Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why I'm not worried about the Colts pass protection

Superman

I don't have the numbers but, if memory serves, Manning didn't't get hit "a lot" per se.

What happened was, when he played poorly, especially in stretches, you'd start to see graphics during the games and on espn about how many times he'd been hit over that stretch.

I think it's because the sack numbers were still low, even in games where #18 struggled, which left the stats guys at the networks struggling for easily digested answers... The narrative (however true) was that the way to get to Manning was to hit him... regardless of whether you get the sack...

That, and the endless "time of possession graphics...

The line played okay in the Pats game; I wouldn't say well, since they couldn't generate anything in the run game.

I don't think Manning got hit a lot; I think he did a good job of avoiding pressures by getting rid of the ball, and it was even more important for him because he doesn't have mobility. I don't expect Luck to be like Manning anymore than I expect Manning to be like Luck, but we all know Luck sometimes holds on to the ball too long.

To me, the issues with protection are less of a concern for me than the run blocking. That's what really needs improvement, and I'm not as confident there as I am with pass blocking.

Manning had/has great timing.  So many, uninformed, would talk about his "happy feet" but he didn't have happy feet, he pumped his feet for two reasons, one was to keep mobile, so as he scanned the field if he was facing left and needed to throw right, he could quickly get his body in the proper position.  Two was for timing, I forget the exact number but I recall him saying that it was 8 or 9 feet pumps (so 4 for each foot or maybe it was 8 or 9 per foot, like I said I don't remember) and he knew he had to get rid of the ball.

Luck has a lot of great abilities and I hope he learns to get that type of timing down.

Excellent post...

I think the masses fall prey to what the Kiper's, McShay's, Schlereth's and other NFL talking heads are spouting.  Or what the uninformed on here are throwing at the wall on a daily basis.  The common rhetoric on Indy is the offensive line is weak but I have heard precious little when it comes to Grigson's thinking - which is simply a lack of continuity is the biggest issue they have faced.  If they can stay healthy and play together all season, that will have a huge impact on the success of the o in particular and team in general.  But should injuries happen again this year, they seem very well prepared with depth that they have not had previously. 

Of the things I worry about with the Colts, the o'line is far down the list. 

The point is valid.  However, I remember the famous Kiper vs Tobin  square off in 1994.  Kiper swipes at Tobin for taking Trev Alberts when Trent Dilfer was on the board.  Then Tobin swipes back.  It was funny then, and likely a draw.  But looking back after time has passed-

Trent Dilfer: 14 NFL seasons, 20,518 passing yards, 2000 Super Bowl winner, 1997 Pro Bowl

Trev Alberts: Three seasons, 49 tackles, 4.0 sacks

If Manning's OC had been Bruce Arians he would have been hit plenty. Pep has helped some, but it seems he can't figure out what he wants the identity of the offense to be......or doesn't have the personnel to do it. Many times it appears he or Luck falls back to the Arians playbook.

The point is valid.  However, I remember the famous Kiper vs Tobin  square off in 1994.  Kiper swipes at Tobin for taking Trev Alberts when Trent Dilfer was on the board.  Then Tobin swipes back.  It was funny then, and likely a draw.  But looking back after time has passed-

Trent Dilfer: 14 NFL seasons, 20,518 passing yards, 2000 Super Bowl winner, 1997 Pro Bowl

Trev Alberts: Three seasons, 49 tackles, 4.0 sacks

Well I don't even think Trent was deserving of that Pro Bowl in '97 and that Ravens defense and Special Teams (Jermaine Lewis) was the star of the SB, Dilfer did throw 1 TD but he only went 12 for 25 passing

Well I don't even think Trent was deserving of that Pro Bowl in '97 and that Ravens defense and Special Teams (Jermaine Lewis) was the star of the SB, Dilfer did throw 1 TD but he only went 12 for 25 passing

The point was a lot simpler than than: Dilfer had a better career than Alberts. 

The point was a lot simpler than than: Dilfer had a better career than Alberts. 

Yeah but I mean its hard to have a good career when your injured for all but 18 games in 3 years and you only start 7 of them

Yeah but I mean its hard to have a good career when your injured for all but 18 games in 3 years and you only start 7 of them

And it's hard to defend your draft pick when you take a linebacker that only plays 18 games in 3 years, only starting 7 of them, while the QB that everyone thought you should take goes on to have a pretty decent career. That's all the point was; Tobin messed that one up, that's all. And it's probably helped Kiper make a career out of being a draft guy.

And it's hard to defend your draft pick when you take a linebacker that only plays 18 games in 3 years, only starting 7 of them, while the QB that everyone thought you should take goes on to have a pretty decent career. That's all the point was; Tobin messed that one up, that's all. And it's probably helped Kiper make a career out of being a draft guy.

I mean Dilfer averaged 1466 yards a season passing and never even reached 3000 yards passing in 4 years where he started a full 16 games, I get it that he had the better career, I just find it hard to believe that Alberts would not have had at the very least a similar impact at his position that Dilfer had at his...I get it.....Dilfer went to the SB and won but if he didn't have an elite defense carrying him then nobody but Kiper is talking about how Tobin supposedly messed that one up still. Again I agree Dilfer clearly had the better career, But its not like Tobin knew Alberts was going to become injury prone

I wish I was as confident about our OL this year as both Superman and JSkinnz are,  but I'm not quit there yet.

And while I know the thread is specific to pass blocking,  for me the real measure of our OL and improvement in the offense,  will come with much improved RUN BLOCKING.     And until I actually see that,  I'm going to be a bit skeptical.

For our offense to get to the next level I believe the key is a successful running game.   And if we're run blocking better,  that will take some of the steam out of the opponents pass rush, which of course will help Andrew Luck.

I see Luck getting 5,000 passing yards this year (up 240) from last year.   But not because we throw more,  but because we throw more effectively.    I think his completion percentage goes up to 64-66 percent.   And with those added completions,  that's where the added yards will come from.

But it all starts with run blocking.  If we have an effective ground game our passing game will really take off.    So,  until I see a solid running game,   I'm afraid my jury is going to remain out and undecided......

Manning had/has great timing.  So many, uninformed, would talk about his "happy feet" but he didn't have happy feet, he pumped his feet for two reasons, one was to keep mobile, so as he scanned the field if he was facing left and needed to throw right, he could quickly get his body in the proper position.  Two was for timing, I forget the exact number but I recall him saying that it was 8 or 9 feet pumps (so 4 for each foot or maybe it was 8 or 9 per foot, like I said I don't remember) and he knew he had to get rid of the ball.

Luck has a lot of great abilities and I hope he learns to get that type of timing down.

While I never thought of his "happy feet" as a negative it was as with much of QB a unique mannerism and I used to (still do I guess?) love seeing it. If you silhouetted a QB and showed footage of him in action I reckon I could pick #18 out pretty much every time if that makes sense? Actually why doesn't this exist as a quiz game??!

I wish I was as confident about our OL this year as both Superman and JSkinnz are,  but I'm not quit there yet.

And while I know the thread is specific to pass blocking,  for me the real measure of our OL and improvement in the offense,  will come with much improved RUN BLOCKING.     And until I actually see that,  I'm going to be a bit skeptical.

For our offense to get to the next level I believe the key is a successful running game.   And if we're run blocking better,  that will take some of the steam out of the opponents pass rush, which of course will help Andrew Luck.

I see Luck getting 5,000 passing yards this year (up 240) from last year.   But not because we throw more,  but because we throw more effectively.    I think his completion percentage goes up to 64-66 percent.   And with those added completions,  that's where the added yards will come from.

But it all starts with run blocking.  If we have an effective ground game our passing game will really take off.    So,  until I see a solid running game,   I'm afraid my jury is going to remain out and undecided......

You make a good point but I do want to say two things:

• Superman did specifically state "pass blocking" I know you addressed that I just wanted to point it out, again.
  • I'm not 100% convinced the run blocking was all the fault of the olineman or even mostly their fault.  I tracked it for awhile last season and In quarters 1 -3 in the first 8 weeks, the Colts only ran the ball twice in a row once or twice.  That is not good for the oline or the running back.  And I would have to go back and look it up but I think there were 6 or 7 games where the Colts ran it 6 or fewer times in the 1st half.  it doesn't matter who you have on the line or who the running back is; a tam cannot establish and effective running game that way.

I think greater efficiency from this offense either results in more explosive drives with fewer plays and time of possession (which might not be good for the defense, and isn't what the staff wants), or it results in less passing offense. The goal, I think, is controlled offense that scores TDs often, but also eats up the clock. That means fewer possessions, fewer passing attempts... should mean less yardage.

I also think Luck's percentage goes up, and his other efficiency numbers get better (higher yards/attempt, higher TD%, lower INT%). But I think that's all going to be hand in hand with better run production, both raw numbers and efficiency. And that definitely requires better run blocking.

But it's like you said, I'm talking primarily about the pass protection. I have much more concern about the run blocking than the pass blocking at this point. But I think run blocking has to be developed, and until we actually see it consistently, we won't really know that we have it. The jury is definitely still out on the run game, but getting rid of Richardson is a huge change that should pay off.

Plus we have Andre Johnson to take heat away from TY. 

AJ's back shoulder fade is basically undefendable. Not to mention him using his body in space. Slants all day if opposing D's want to blitz. 

Dorsett's speed, plus Moncrief in his 2nd year? Not to mention, Gore, Allen, Fleener. 

Somebody's bound to be open at all times. 

Plus we have Andre Johnson to take heat away from TY. 

AJ's back shoulder fade is basically undefendable. Not to mention him using his body in space. Slants all day if opposing D's want to blitz. 

Dorsett's speed, plus Moncrief in his 2nd year? Not to mention, Gore, Allen, Fleener. 

Somebody's bound to be open at all times. 

This <bolded> is what I want Moncrief to learn from AJ this year!

If he can learn to high point the ball, snap it out of the air, and use his body to deny the defender...

Man, this kid could become; well the next AJ.

Supes, gotta agree with you, pass blocking should be okay and probably better than lasts year.

If the run blocking can improve in the same degree or exceed expectations this offense could...

become Star Wars on The Fourth of July with a Death Star of a finishing touch by the running game.

Dayam, I know, I know, talking nonsense but I'm very optimistic about this season!

My greatest fear is that Grigs has gone "all in" on what he has brought in for the O-line.

Grigson the Gambler!  I think that he has put it all on the table trusting his drafting and FA choices.

You gotta admire the guy for trusting his instincts, but if this gamble doesn't work out, his tenure could become iffy.

It has been a long time since the Colts have had a solid O-line, I really hope it comes together this year!