Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Have Been Connected to OG Evan Mathis.

Mathis is known to be more of a zone blocker that man to mean...not a 'strong' run blocker. Is solid however (Thus the pro bowls...)

Can we change!?

Zone scheme is a whole lot better than the terrible scheme power run scheme that the Colts run that you almost can't even tell they have a scheme. There are actually holes in a zone scheme. Just a mess most of the time with Colts power scheme.

Can we change!?

Zone scheme is a whole lot better than the terrible scheme power run scheme that the Colts run that you almost can't even tell they have a scheme. There are actually holes in a zone scheme. Just a mess most of the time with Colts power scheme.

I agree with the assessment that we have failed to make holes in the man to man   (Not mean :))  I think we maybe too stubborn to change even if it is a better option.

I was just mentioning to Gavin because he had questioned Anton's question above.

I agree with the assessment that we have failed to make holes in the man to man (Not mean :)) I think we maybe too stubborn to change even if it is a better option.

I was just mentioning to Gavin because he had questioned Anton's question above.

Yeah no doubt they would be to stubborn! They continuously have been! Just like us Colts fans! :)

Yeah no doubt they would be to stubborn! They continuously have been! Just like us Colts fans! :)

OK...just made me laugh.  Heck they would not even play who all of us fans thought were better players that were on the bench..let alone change schemes :)

Connected probably just means the Grigson-Eagles connection. Doesn't necessarily mean the Colts are interested.

I think the tweet is just naming the teams ESPN thinks would make sense.

I haven't seen anything about Mathis being connected to the Colts.

John Clayton:

Q: With the recent release of Evan Mathis from the Eagles, what do you see as the chances that he may wind up in Denver? He hasn't found a trade partner for two years and a minimal contract with a chance to shine and potentially go to the Super Bowl is better than no money. It may not be the best fit for Denver either, but they are needy at O-line and he definitely would be an upgrade.

Ben in Knoxville, Tennessee

A: The Broncos aren't among the four main teams looking at Mathis (Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami and San Francisco). Though he would be big upgrade at guard, I don't see them having enough money to make the move. They have $6.91 million of cap room left this year and have already committed more than $127 million next year. Mathis -- who's coming off back-to-back Pro Bowls and is considered one of the best guards in football -- is in enough demand that he might be able to pull off a two-year deal even though he's 33. Gary Kubiak plans to go young with the offensive line this year. They want to give Ty Sambrailo a shot at left tackle and might use Michael Schofield at right tackle. Because Peyton Manning releases the ball so quickly and Kubiak is so good at settling up the run game, Denver will probably take a pass on Mathis.

John Clayton:

Q: With the recent release of Evan Mathis from the Eagles, what do you see as the chances that he may wind up in Denver? He hasn't found a trade partner for two years and a minimal contract with a chance to shine and potentially go to the Super Bowl is better than no money. It may not be the best fit for Denver either, but they are needy at O-line and he definitely would be an upgrade.

Ben in Knoxville, Tennessee

A: The Broncos aren't among the four main teams looking at Mathis (Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami and San Francisco). Though he would be big upgrade at guard, I don't see them having enough money to make the move. They have $6.91 million of cap room left this year and have already committed more than $127 million next year. Mathis -- who's coming off back-to-back Pro Bowls and is considered one of the best guards in football -- is in enough demand that he might be able to pull off a two-year deal even though he's 33. Gary Kubiak plans to go young with the offensive line this year. They want to give Ty Sambrailo a shot at left tackle and might use Michael Schofield at right tackle. Because Peyton Manning releases the ball so quickly and Kubiak is so good at settling up the run game, Denver will probably take a pass on Mathis.

Interesting. I too had not seen the Colts mentioned in connection with Mathis. I saw articles that named the Dolphins, Giants, Falcons, Saints, Seahawks and Broncos as possible landing spots. The Raiders too, as they still have about $20M in cap space.

While the Vikings need a left guard and Mathis has played on teams with the Vikings OL coach (Carolina) and with Coach Zimmer (Bengals), I don't see the Vikings signing him. Hopefully the line will protect Bridgewater better than they did last year.

I agree with the assessment that we have failed to make holes in the man to man   (Not mean :))  I think we maybe too stubborn to change even if it is a better option.

imo we have not made holes in man blocking because we don't have the monsters to do it, sign mathis, build the monster

Mainly the Colts are just stubborn and refuse to fix the offensive line when it has been one of the worst position groups on the team for mutiple years! I don't really understand it! The Cowboys showed what a good o line can do for an offense.

Does the FO just love to prove people wrong? It's not working. All season it was dreadful! The playoffs get stepped up but it was still far from great. I don't get it. It's the most important position on the offense besides QB and the QB needs to be protected and helped out.

I'm sure there are other reasons why they don't want him but if the offensive line fails to play well once again people are not gonna be happy and everyone might as well throw the Super Bowl hopes out the window.

If you missed the link, here it is again: http://t.co/gAjfC2hzKB

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

June 16, 2015

Just the story that ESPN ran with who they think Mathis would be interested in. If it happens it will be a done deal without much said before it is done.

Mainly the Colts are just stubborn and refuse to fix the offensive line when it has been one of the worst position groups on the team for mutiple years! I don't really understand it! The Cowboys showed what a good o line can do for an offense.

Does the FO just love to prove people wrong? It's not working. All season it was dreadful! The playoffs get stepped up but it was still far from great. I don't get it. It's the most important position on the offense besides QB and the QB needs to be protected and helped out.

I'm sure there are other reasons why they don't want him but if the offensive line fails to play well once again people are not gonna be happy and everyone might as well throw the Super Bowl hopes out the window.

June 16, 2015

I wouldn't mind the signing for a year or two, but I think in the end we might just be better off walking away.. But his connection with Grigson is something that always gives me that small bit of hope that we could make a run for him.

I think the health of Cherilus is going to weigh heavily on our decision to pursue Mathis. If Mewhort has to play RT. I would feel A LOT better knowing that Mathis and Herremans (or maybe even Donald Thomas) is our starting guards. I'm not a fan of Reitz, Thornton or Louis as starters.

We should cut Thomas and Cherilus, sign Mathis and be done with it.  we then would have an OLine of castonzo, Mathis, Holmes, Hennemen and Mewhort.  Gore will have a fileld day running behingd that group.  Luck can then pick and choose who to throw to.  IMO

We should cut Thomas and Cherilus, sign Mathis and be done with it.  we then would have an OLine of castonzo, Mathis, Holmes, Hennemen and Mewhort.  Gore will have a fileld day running behingd that group.  Luck can then pick and choose who to throw to.  IMO

I can't fathom why they would want to keep Thomas. He must be the greatest locker room guy of all time.

June 16, 2015

Amen Bravo 4460! A power house o-line changes everything. It builds confidence, it rests your defense, & it brings back an ancient relic called the running game. Whoa dude. Gore with daylight in front of him. Imagine that...

Don't get me started on this notion that WRs & TEs are going get us to the SB. I agree with you 100% INDY's success in the playoffs is contingent upon our power pigs up front. Plain & simple. 

Amen Bravo 4460! A power house o-line changes everything. It builds confidence, it rests your defense, & it brings back an ancient relic called the running game. Whoa dude. Gore with daylight in front of him. Imagine that...

Don't get me started on this notion that WRs & TEs are going get us to the SB. I agree with you 100% INDY's success in the playoffs is contingent upon our power pigs up front. Plain & simple. 

I love our passing game personnel. If we can consistently run the football effectively against good defenses that will just make the passing game even more efficient and this offense could be historic. I don't know why anyone would prefer to keep Cherlius and Thomas if letting them go meant cap space to sign a guy like Mathis, but that's just me.