Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Have Been Connected to OG Evan Mathis.

If the Colts do sign Evan Mathis what would the complications of the cap be?  Would they have to cut a high dollar player to have the money? If so, who?

Cutting Cherilous and Thomas would probably pay for the Mathis signing this year and partially next year, and not affect the roster at all since we'd be simply churning OL players. Signing Mathis would create higher cap hits in future years, which may impact the ability to resign other players, say Allen or Fleener.

We have enough money left for this year to sign Mathis, the two remaining draft picks plus any depth moves over the course of the season. If it is more than a one year deal though, i am not sure. But if we do sign Mathis, I think it signals the end for Cherilous and Thomas or perhaps both. That would save a few bucks in the long run.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/12/philadelphia-eagles-todd-herremans-evan-mathis-released

"Herremans on Evan Mathis' release: 'He kind of brought it on himself'"

I'd say Herremans is right in that assessment. Not that I blame Mathis for feeling he deserves a higher contract, but it is the contract he signed, and it seems he's been disgruntled the last couple years in Philly. I don't think he'll get a huge amount of money wherever he goes, but I would absolutely love to see him here. I'd cut Cherilus and Thomas today to bring him in.

I think it would be a good one year signing for maybe 5 - 6 million or so give him a little more than he made and likely cut Thomas to save about 3 million.

But a large long term commitment to a 33 year old Guard would be an unwise decision, he would be an upgrade over Thornton though and playing with Herremans previously would only help with the chemistry of the line.

Grigson should be cautious with this if someone else wants to give him millions more than fine we keep our money.

This is almost one of those things where if we don't sign him we're crazy. Evan Mathis is one of the 2 or 3 best Guards in the NFL and we can use an upgrade. Evan Mathis could be the missing link to us having the best offense in the last 10 years. Make it happen Grigs. Think about the potential of this.

Castanzo-Mathis-Holmes-Herremans-Mewhort. That's a top 10 O-Line right there. Maybe even better than that. Probably even better than that. Then we'd have Reitz, Thornton, Harrison, Thomas and Heenen as backups, although one of those 5 may not make it.

please no i'd rather have cap

Than an elite level, all pro Guard? Really, Considering how our line's looked the last few years? Yeah our line should be much better this year than it has, but with Mathis we can finally have an elite offensive line, and yeah an actual running game. Gore's gonna be tough now, but give him some holes to hit and its one. That's one reason I said in my post above that Evan Mathis may be the missing link to having the best offense any team's had in the last several years.

Think of Castanzo and Mathis on that left side. Andrew Luck would be the happiest QB in the league.  And at the same time Mewhort may end up being a really good RT. I like him at left guard, but I think he can be good at either. He could possibly even end up being better suited at RT the more I think about it.

I would be happy if we signed him. But as soon as we did, every article would be like: "Colts sign Evan Mathis! They are officially the over the hill gang!" Lol.... But if we are using him properly and Gore is running 1200 yards this year, Super Bowl watch out!

Think of Castanzo and Mathis on that left side. Andrew Luck would be the happiest QB in the league.  And at the same time Mewhort may end up being a really good RT. I like him at left guard, but I think he can be good at either. He could possibly even end up being better suited at RT the more I think about it.

Does this mean I have to painfully watch either Hugh Thornton or Lance Louis play RG?

If we cut Thonas and Cherilus we free up cap.. And what is the cap good for if we don't spend it anyways

I think we have the cap to sign Mathis now, but if we do, I say we just roll into camp with everyone and let them all battle it out. I'm sure Donald Thomas will be cut. And if Mewhort is showing a ton of potential at tackle, cut Gosder too.

Than an elite level, all pro Guard? Really, Considering how our line's looked the last few years? Yeah our line should be much better this year than it has, but with Mathis we can finally have an elite offensive line, and yeah an actual running game. Gore's gonna be tough now, but give him some holes to hit and its one. That's one reason I said in my post above that Evan Mathis may be the missing link to having the best offense any team's had in the last several years.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "Elite" the Dallas Cowboys have an elite offensive line, the Colts are still far away from capturing that title. We haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since like 2006. But heck, signing Mathis would make us much, much better. Especially in the running game where he excels at.

If we had Mathis and Castonzo on the same side, we'd actually have some holes for Gore to run through.

Imagine that, an actual running game!

What about the middle and the right side though? You need more than two players to make a running game work. It takes a whole unit.

Does this mean I have to painfully watch either Hugh Thornton or Lance Louis play RG?

Herremans. Don't forget he was a pretty good guard before an injury plagued season last year. I think he's going to be a really good addition to our line, and he was always a really, really good run blocker.