Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort Writeup

Deano1818

As a rookie, he was thrown into the fire and I think he played pretty well.  With more time to get comfortable in the offense, get used to the audibles and blocking schemes, and more time to work on his technique, I think he can be a very good starter.  He might not ever be a top 5 guard in any season, but I think we can leave him at LG and not have to worry.  Injuries and things like that may require some movement, but if we were to have him as our LG for the next few years, I don't think it would upset anyone.

Evan Mathis is from a zone blocking scheme. Do we run a zone blocking scheme no, but all but one person on our offensive line it tailored for a zone blocking scheme. Jake Mewhort is the only player that ran a power blocking scheme. I posted this months ago about what the best scheme for each of our offensive lineman. What was in their scouting reports for the schemes they'd most likely for into. I've always questioned why power block when we don't have the personnel to do so?

I agree, hard to judge someone on a rookie season.  He showed alot of promise.  he has another season to work on technique and his power.  He's one of the few young guys i think we have on the line that we should plant at a position and allow him the chance to excel at it. 

All I know was that there was no worry about the left side of the line last year.....the right was a different story.

I think Mewhort did very well at pass blocking.

Its the run blocking where I believe he isnt at his best.

Our RBs didnt do well running left or right..... there weren't holes

He cant seem to move people out of way

He latches on well, His problem is he don't have a real strong hand punch (does't jolt a D Lineman back often), He is more agile then what some people say when it comes to getting to the 2nd level. He has tight hips, He also catches D Lineman at times instead of exploding into them. He can also once in a while get stood straight up in the run game

He latches on well, His problem is he don't have a real strong hand punch (does't jolt a D Lineman back often), He is more agile then what some people say when it comes to getting to the 2nd level. He has tight hips, He also catches D Lineman at times instead of exploding into them. He can also once in a while get stood straight up in the run game

Latches on is great in the passing game

Latches on is not so good in the run game, if there is no movement.

I am not sure what tight hips are. 

We have no FB in most cases....... The OL MUST open holes for the running attack to be successful.

I think our LT is getting better and better at moving a DE around on running plays.

Other than him, we really dont have that push anywhere

I hope Heremans can do it.

Keep in mind folks...Mewhort is still raw. Thrust into a starting role and did pretty good for a rookie. Not many rookies become great their first year. I say let's give him some time to develop before writing him off.

I don't think anyone is writing him off

He was our 2nd best lineman last year.

He just lacks in the run blocking side IMHO, that is needed to get holes opened

Todd Herremans is ranked 57 out of 70 on the list.

Pass Block: 25/50; Run Block: 28/45; Starter: 4/5; Total: 57/100

At 32 years of age, Todd Herremans’ decline may be terminal. The versatile player who can play both guard and tackle missed a lot of time in 2014, but he also struggled to impress when he was on the field at right guard.

67. Lance Louis, Indianapolis Colts 54/100

Pass Block: 26/50; Run Block: 25/45; Starter: 3/5

Lance Louis started at different times for the Indianapolis Colts in 2014, but there are very few teams he would have seen the field with. Louis is very slow off the snap and lacks the athleticism and consistency in his technique to battle opposing offensive linemen, be it in the running game or passing game.

49. Hugh Thornton 63/100

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2472425-br-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-70-guards-from-2014/page/7