Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate merge -- pending appeal results

Bad Morty

With all due respect , I think you am , virulent and dynasty 13 are going to be very disappointed with the outcome of this. Tom Brady , IMO will take any reduced sentence offered to him in lieu of taking this to court. He's saying court to better his bargaining position. With the burden of proof required for the NFL , Brady is going to have to do more than just say "I didn't do anything wrong." Between his refusal to show phone records and what could be a brutal cross examination of the two ex NE employees , IMO there is no way this is taken to the next level. Sad thing as to this forum anyway , this would point to his guilt or involvement and you all will still be in denial.

You keep on saying this over and over and singling us out and none of us have said that Brady is 100 percent certain going to go to court. We have said that he has threatened it which he has and you may be right. May be it is all for jockeying to reduce the sentence and just accept it. He went into the appeal seeking full exoneration and has a strong case with the holes in the Wells report and the violation of the CBA which you keep failing to recognize. This whole thing could get tossed on that point alone. And you also fail to understand that the league does not want to go to court either and have to have that Wells report further securitized and the potential of the CBA to be overturned if it is deemed Roger is once again brandishing his power in violation of the agreement.

As I have now said repeatedly, I hope this ends with the appeal, whatever it is. I don't view Brady or his legacy any different whether the games come off or not. But there will be no disappointment if he accepts game(s) from me. I am ready for 2015 and the drive for five which gets kicked off with the banner raising in early Sept.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I now need to through out a disclaimer before posting, so here it is: DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR A DIFFERENT OPINION THAT MAY PRESENT A POSSIBILITY OF WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED. FURTHERMORE, IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO READ, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO IT AS IF YOU HAVE.

Here's the thing that causes me to question how much time passed between the measuring of the Patriots and Colts balls, otherwise I'd probably agree with you. Two officials measured the balls at halftime...Prioleau used the logo gauge for the Patriots balls, Blakeman used the non-logo gauge. Why then, for the Colts balls, did Blakeman then have the logo gauge and Prioleau the non-logo gauge? You'd think that if they measured the Colts balls right after the Patriots balls, they'd still be holding the gauges they started with...but because they switched, that leads me to believe that some time passed between and in their rush at the end of halftime to measure the Colts balls, they just grabbed a gauge without thinking and only got through 4.

Again, I am only presenting a POSSIBILITY of what could have happened: It is perfectly reasonable to assume that they came in at halftime with the intention of measuring the Patriots balls, and upon doing so and discovering that the Patriots balls were under inflated, everyone got in a tizzy...especially Kensil, who reportedly found time to then tell the Patriots equipment manager that 'We weighed the balls, you're in big --ing trouble". At the time remember, there was no awareness of the Ideal Gas law or any thought to natural causes contributing, so there was probably no immediate thought of needing to measure the Colts balls for comparison. Some time passed while all this was all going on and trying to figure out what to do, but then at the end of halftime they rushed to measure the Colts balls, but only managed to get through a quarter of them. 

I just find it odd that the two officials would have somehow switched which gauges they each used if they really did measure the Colts footballs immediately after the Patriots ones. It's just little details like that that stick out to Patriots fans when trying to dissect the Wells Report...and as much as others may want to discount them, the fact that there are so many 'little things' is what raised concern.

How much time do you think past between measuring the Patriots footballs vs the Colts football? From what is being reported it could not have been very long, a minute to two minutes at most.

What would be odd about the officials switching gauges as long as they used the same two? I have seen multiple posts decrying the use of two gauges. If the officials only used one gauge they probably would not have been able to measure any of the Colts footballs. I can imagine the outcry from Pats fans if that would have occurred. "Well they never even measured the Colts footballs, so there is nothing to compare the Patriots' footballs to. Throw out the investigation, fire Goodell, this is all the Colts fault."

You keep on saying this over and over and singling us out and none of us have said that Brady is 100 percent certain going to go to court. We have said that he has threatened it which he has and you may be right. May be it is all for jockeying to reduce the sentence and just accept it. He went into the appeal seeking full exoneration and has a strong case with the holes in the Wells report and the violation of the CBA which you keep failing to recognize. This whole thing could get tossed on that point alone. And you also fail to understand that the league does not want to go to court either and have to have that Wells report further securitized and the potential of the CBA to be overturned if it is deemed Roger is once again brandishing his power in violation of the agreement.

As I have now said repeatedly, I hope this ends with the appeal, whatever it is. I don't view Brady or his legacy any different whether the games come off or not. But there will be no disappointment if he accepts game(s) from me. I am ready for 2015 and the drive for five which gets kicked off with the banner raising in early Sept.

If his suspension stands for even a game for his role in the cheating you realize he played a superbowl he shouldn't have, the timing, cover up, and denial and backlash from all the * patriot fans just worked to his benefit.

hey - it's not just my opinion...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/the-nfls-scientific-consultant-has-bigger-problems-than-the-wells-report/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Initially, Columbia University was mentioned as a potential consultant for Wells, but that never materialized — possibly because Columbia wouldn’t reach the conclusion Wells wanted Columbia to reach.

LOL -- Florio's speculation doesn't equal anything more than speculation.

And from that link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/sports/football/nfl-investigator-seeks-to-consult-columbia-physicist-over-patriots-deflated-footballs.html?_r=1

Columbia researchers were asked to help, and mostly chose not to. Some of them stated on the record that they didn't think atmospherics would account for the drop in PSI, by the way.

William Zajc, another Columbia physicist who was aware of the request by Reisner, said that he was tempted to field the questions because of all the flawed physics discussions he had seen in news media reports.

“I’m amused,” Zajc said of the query. But in the end, he said, “I didn’t do it.”

Zajc said he believed there was little chance that atmospheric effects alone could account for the discrepancies in the football pressure.

“I think it’s more likely than not that they were manipulated,” Zajc said.

If his suspension stands for even a game for his role in the cheating you realize he played a superbowl he shouldn't have, the timing, cover up, and denial and backlash from all the * patriot fans just worked to his benefit.

lol. They were never going to suspend him for the SB.

How much time do you think past between measuring the Patriots footballs vs the Colts football? From what is being reported it could not have been very long, a minute to two minutes at most.

What would be odd about the officials switching gauges as long as they used the same two? I have seen multiple posts decrying the use of two gauges. If the officials only used one gauge they probably would not have been able to measure any of the Colts footballs. I can imagine the outcry from Pats fans if that would have occurred. "Well they never even measured the Colts footballs, so there is nothing to compare the Patriots' footballs to. Throw out the investigation, fire Goodell, this is all the Colts fault."

Measuring the Colts footballs was clearly an afterthought. The point of the exercise was to measure the Pats footballs. Somebody probably hastily thought "Hey we should measure the Colts balls just in case", which is why they ran out of time. The Wells report is pretty clear on this...they measured all of the Pats footballs twice before moving on to the Colts balls. Since you all seem to believe that a guy could deflate 12 footballs in a bathroom in a minute and a half, then it doesn't make sense that they could only measure 4 Colts balls before the half ended unless they started measuring them literally right at the end of halftime.

Ultimately, it boils down to whether Goodell believes what Brady says or not, not down to physics, IMO.

Going to court would mean first subpeonas of Brady's phone records from the NFL side, I would think. It will become a bigger distraction for Brady and the Patriots as it drags on.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Suh tried to break someone's ankle and wasn't suspended for a playoff game. That is some grade-A hater kool-aid talking there!

LOL -- Florio's speculation doesn't equal anything more than speculation.

And from that link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/sports/football/nfl-investigator-seeks-to-consult-columbia-physicist-over-patriots-deflated-footballs.html?_r=1

Columbia researchers were asked to help, and mostly chose not to. Some of them stated on the record that they didn't think atmospherics would account for the drop in PSI, by the way.

of course they didn't think atmospherics would account for the drop...because at the time, we all believed that the balls were 2lbs light.

They knew in advance that they'd be testing the balls, remember? Jackson picked off the ball, notified his people, etc. So all the set-up was done prior to the half...they were ready to go as soon as the half ended. That's how sting operations usually operate.

It was no sting operation and the world is not flat.

Measuring the Colts footballs was clearly an afterthought. The point of the exercise was to measure the Pats footballs. Somebody probably hastily thought "Hey we should measure the Colts balls just in case", which is why they ran out of time. The Wells report is pretty clear on this...they measured all of the Pats footballs twice before moving on to the Colts balls. Since you all seem to believe that a guy could deflate 12 footballs in a bathroom in a minute and a half, then it doesn't make sense that they could only measure 4 Colts balls before the half ended unless they started measuring them literally right at the end of halftime.

I don't think letting air out and carefully measuring ball PSI is apples to apples ... do you ?

of course they didn't think atmospherics would account for the drop...because at the time, we all believed that the balls were 2lbs light.

That's amazing to me. One person said that. Everyone else said the balls were significantly underinflated. We didn't all believe the footballs were 2 pounds light. We just believed they were all light.

Even still, the point is that there's no evidence aside from wild-eyed speculation from one of the foremost wild-eyed speculators that Wells didn't use Columbia because he didn't think they'd find the result he wanted. That's nonsense. Even the Pats fan from the report I linked yesterday said that the scientific findings from the Wells report make more sense than the findings from AEI. 

I don't think letting air out and carefully measuring ball PSI is apples to apples ... do you ?

Have you ever deflated a football? Literally as soon as you stick the pin in the air gushes out. What I think is the most troublesome part of the tampering is it would appear that if McNally did do something in the bathroom he only let out literally .5 psi or less per ball as the rest is the ideal gas law. And also he got all the balls to be within close range of each other. I don't know about you but if you quickly stab 12 balls the chances of letting out only that little bit of air which really seems ridiculous that he would go thru all that over half a psi and get them all within each other is stunning. That is why Mort's original report was so damning because it said all were under 2 lbs. That is more plausible for tampering as I doubt Brady would notice .5 psi but 2 lbs? Sure. That is the part that really reeks IMO. No way McNally stabs them and let's out half a psi for all of them. I mean that is just silly IMO.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Suh tried to break someone's ankle and wasn't suspended for a playoff game. That is some grade-A hater kool-aid talking there!

Another deflection. Always pointing at another player to take the attention off Brady. That tactic don't work here.

That's amazing to me. One person said that. Everyone else said the balls were significantly underinflated. We didn't all believe the footballs were 2 pounds light. We just believed they were all light.

Even still, the point is that there's no evidence aside from wild-eyed speculation from one of the foremost wild-eyed speculators that Wells didn't use Columbia because he didn't think they'd find the result he wanted. That's nonsense. Even the Pats fan from the report I linked yesterday said that the scientific findings from the Wells report make more sense than the findings from AEI. 

Then on what basis are the people at Columbia saying that they don't believe atmospherics would explain the drop? I'm guessing they are well aware of the fact that atmospherics DO in fact cause pressure to decrease...so their comments can only speak to their understanding of the magnitude of the drop. At any rate, they didn't take the case, so their opinion on it is largely irrelevant and not fully informed.

You have to at least admit that Exponent has a foul smell attached to them. You can't look at their body of work and claim that they aren't a "science for hire" operation and not who anyone who was looking for a truly "independent" analysis would turn to first.

Then on what basis are the people at Columbia saying that they don't believe atmospherics would explain the drop? I'm guessing they are well aware of the fact that atmospherics DO in fact cause pressure to decrease...so their comments can only speak to their understanding of the magnitude of the drop. At any rate, they didn't take the case, so their opinion on it is largely irrelevant and not fully informed.

You have to at least admit that Exponent has a foul smell attached to them. You can't look at their body of work and claim that they aren't a "science for hire" operation and not who anyone who was looking for a truly "independent" analysis would turn to first.

I have to believe Roger is thinking long and hard about Exponent as he considers his ruling. Remember IF this does go to court, the reasoning he uses for suspending Brady will become front and center.

The meeting was ten hours!!?? How do you fill a one question issue with ten hours of talking?

Add to that after ten hours of asking did you know it, now will take five weeks to decide?

When is the last time any meeting took ten hours?

Keep in mind this is a league with "instant" replay!

Have you ever deflated a football? Literally as soon as you stick the pin in the air gushes out. What I think is the most troublesome part of the tampering is it would appear that if McNally did do something in the bathroom he only let out literally .5 psi or less per ball as the rest is the ideal gas law. And also he got all the balls to be within close range of each other. I don't know about you but if you quickly stab 12 balls the chances of letting out only that little bit of air which really seems ridiculous that he would go thru all that over half a psi and get them all within each other is stunning. That is why Mort's original report was so damning because it said all were under 2 lbs. That is more plausible for tampering as I doubt Brady would notice .5 psi but 2 lbs? Sure. That is the part that really reeks IMO. No way McNally stabs them and let's out half a psi for all of them. I mean that is just silly IMO.

What is also silly he he first said he brought then straight to the field. Then he said he peed in a urinal which we also know is a lie. 

Yet you'll tout AEI, which has an even worse reputation than Exponent, and a potential bias in this regard. And again, the Vermont guy who says the Exponent model holds up. So even if Exponent has credibility issues, that doesn't mean their evaluation is worthless.

All that being said, you can take or leave the Exponent science and nitpick the processes. There's still an obviousness to the situation. The Patriots balls were deflated more than the Colts balls were, and everything that we know undermined IGL as an explanation for the deflation.

What is also silly he he first said he brought then straight to the field. Then he said he peed in a urinal which we also know is a lie. 

You are avoiding the point though of why he would go into the bathroom to literally only let .5 or less of psi? I mean that seems completely ridiculous. Why on earth would Brady instruct him to do that? That amount of air pressure is negligible. And remember no one saw him go in there so he could have taken his sweet time in there but the minute 40 is consistent with how long it takes to take a pee.

Are we really still debating about whether McNally is a liar?

I have to believe Roger is thinking long and hard about Exponent as he considers his ruling. Remember IF this does go to court, the reasoning he uses for suspending Brady will become front and center.

An independent arbitrator or a judge would look at this case and say "Let me get this straight...you claim that you have scientific evidence that balls were tampered with, but you don't have a written record of the beginning ball pressure or a record of which gauge was used for what you are recalling those beginning measurements to be? And furthermore, you are relying on the referee's recollection that the balls were all 12.5 to start with, but you are dismissing his recollection on the gauge that was used?"

They knew in advance that they'd be testing the balls, remember? Jackson picked off the ball, notified his people, etc. So all the set-up was done prior to the half...they were ready to go as soon as the half ended. That's how sting operations usually operate.

"Jackson picked off the ball, notified his people, etc."

Who threw the football to Jackson, knowingly, in order to define the "sting"?

An independent arbitrator or a judge would look at this case and say "Let me get this straight...you claim that you have scientific evidence that balls were tampered with, but you don't have a written record of the beginning ball pressure or a record of which gauge was used for what you are recalling those beginning measurements to be? And furthermore, you are relying on the referee's recollection that the balls were all 12.5 to start with, but you are dismissing his recollection on the gauge that was used?"

Yeah, the process is out and the NFL knows that at this point I believe. They have the texts and a bathroom break and of course the Jets game where Brady specifically instructs his guys to make the balls at 12.5.

Yet you'll tout AEI, which has an even worse reputation than Exponent, and a potential bias in this regard. And again, the Vermont guy who says the Exponent model holds up. So even if Exponent has credibility issues, that doesn't mean their evaluation is worthless.

That's awesome - you slipped in two fibs in one post: AEI having a potential bias (there is not one shred of evidence of this) and the Vermont guy saying the Exponent model "holds up"...here's what the "Vermont Guy" actually said:

DeSarno pointed out that the data set is incomplete and flawed — what we’ve been saying for four months about referee Walt Anderson not recording the pregame data and all of the different gauge-switching scenarios — and that Wells cherry-picked results to fit the “Patriots are guilty” conclusion.

“I still don’t place any faith in [Wells’s] conclusions,” DeSarno said. “All I can tell you that the analysis method Wells used is absolutely correct, and the analysis method AEI used is incorrect.”

When you do something long term you get pretty good at it. Practice makes perfect.

You are avoiding the point though of why he would go into the bathroom to literally only let .5 or less of psi? I mean that seems completely ridiculous. Why on earth would Brady instruct him to do that? That amount of air pressure is negligible. And remember no one saw him go in there so he could have taken his sweet time in there but the minute 40 is consistent with how long it takes to take a pee.

I would think he quickly just let some air out of the footballs to make them the way Tom liked them, If he were to try to get them to an exact measurement , then I agree that he would have needed more time. Geez AM .. is it really a stretch for me to think that a guy who was blasted by Brady for over inflated balls at a jets game , who calls himself the "deflator" , lied about going in the bathroom , lied about using a urinal actually did something to the footballs that measured less than they should have ? I don't know why he didn't take more air out. There does that "prove your point ?"

I would think he quickly just let some air out of the footballs to make them the way Tom liked them, If he were to try to get them to an exact measurement , then I agree that he would have needed more time. Geez AM .. is it really a stretch for me to think that a guy who was blasted by Brady for over inflated balls at a jets game , who calls himself the "deflator" , lied about going in the bathroom , lied about using a urinal actually did something to the footballs that measured less than they should have ? I don't know why he didn't take more air out. There does that "prove your point ?"

Another cycle begins on the wheel of Deflategate arguments :P 

That's awesome - you slipped in two fibs in one post: AEI having a potential bias (there is not one shred of evidence of this) and the Vermont guy saying the Exponent model "holds up"...here's what the "Vermont Guy" actually said:

DeSarno pointed out that the data set is incomplete and flawed — what we’ve been saying for four months about referee Walt Anderson not recording the pregame data and all of the different gauge-switching scenarios — and that Wells cherry-picked results to fit the “Patriots are guilty” conclusion.

“I still don’t place any faith in [Wells’s] conclusions,” DeSarno said. “All I can tell you that the analysis method Wells used is absolutely correct, and the analysis method AEI used is incorrect.”

I said potential bias, and there are plenty of reasons to believe that about the researchers from New England who produced the AEI report. And of course, the overall credibility of AEI as a research organization, which is near zero. Pats fans undermine Exponent because once upon a time, they defended tobacco, and yet AEI did the same thing.

And DeSarno absolutely said the Exponent model holds up. "The analysis method Wells used is absolutely correct." That doesn't mean he agrees with the entirety of the report, but that the model Exponent uses is legit, and (obviously) better than the AEI method.

Correct. The failing to cooperate. Fact. It all goes back to Brady and his choice not to clear his involvement. There would have been no Wells report or any other reports had he cooperated. Brady choice, no one else.

Really? That is your position? That Brady liked them at 12.1, 12.2?

And Brady blasted him for allowing the refs to inflate them without re-gauging not because he did not deflate them after. That was McNally's job to make sure the refs did not screw with the balls which pretty much seems to be par for the course with all the ex players that have come out and said the refs mess with the balls and do not re-gauge because surprise ... they don't care about the psi range.

So he took a pee in a room that has no urinal or toilet? OK, if you say so.

And Brady blasted him for allowing the refs to inflate them without re-gauging not because he did not deflate them after. That was McNally's job to make sure the refs did not screw with the balls which pretty much seems to be par for the course with all the ex players that have come out and said the refs mess with the balls and do not re-gauge because surprise ... they don't care about the psi range.

They don't care? Could it be they thought there would be no tampering after the first check? There was no reason to think the footballs would be tampered with. I guess that is what happens when the refs trusted the Patriots not to tamper the footballs. McNally the deflator at work.

Silly? I thought practice makes perfect.

I give.. McNally lied about going in the bathroom. Lied about using a urinal  , called himself the deflator and I'm getting the "really .. that's your position. What in Gods name was he doing in the bathroom ? He said he was peeing in a urinal that didn't exist after he lied about going in there in the first place. Did they find urine on the floor  ? Where did he pee ?

I give.. McNally lied about going in the bathroom. Lied about using a urinal  , called himself the deflator and I'm getting the "really .. that's your position. What in Gods name was he doing in the bathroom ? He said he was peeing in a urinal that didn't exist after he lied about going in there in the first place. Did they find urine on the floor  ? Where did he pee ?

He was probably checking the pressure level of the balls...same as the colts sideline guy did after the interception.

At least 2 minutes (and up to 4) was in the Wells report more than twice.

I feel like I now need to through out a disclaimer before posting, so here it is: DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR A DIFFERENT OPINION THAT MAY PRESENT A POSSIBILITY OF WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED. FURTHERMORE, IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO READ, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO IT AS IF YOU HAVE.

Here's the thing that causes me to question how much time passed between the measuring of the Patriots and Colts balls, otherwise I'd probably agree with you. Two officials measured the balls at halftime...Prioleau used the logo gauge for the Patriots balls, Blakeman used the non-logo gauge. Why then, for the Colts balls, did Blakeman then have the logo gauge and Prioleau the non-logo gauge? You'd think that if they measured the Colts balls right after the Patriots balls, they'd still be holding the gauges they started with...but because they switched, that leads me to believe that some time passed between and in their rush at the end of halftime to measure the Colts balls, they just grabbed a gauge without thinking and only got through 4.

Again, I am only presenting a POSSIBILITY of what could have happened: It is perfectly reasonable to assume that they came in at halftime with the intention of measuring the Patriots balls, and upon doing so and discovering that the Patriots balls were under inflated, everyone got in a tizzy...especially Kensil, who reportedly found time to then tell the Patriots equipment manager that 'We weighed the balls, you're in big --ing trouble". At the time remember, there was no awareness of the Ideal Gas law or any thought to natural causes contributing, so there was probably no immediate thought of needing to measure the Colts balls for comparison. Some time passed while all this was all going on and trying to figure out what to do, but then at the end of halftime they rushed to measure the Colts balls, but only managed to get through a quarter of them. 

I just find it odd that the two officials would have somehow switched which gauges they each used if they really did measure the Colts footballs immediately after the Patriots ones. It's just little details like that that stick out to Patriots fans when trying to dissect the Wells Report...and as much as others may want to discount them, the fact that there are so many 'little things' is what raised concern.

Here's a story board from the Wells report to answer those items (note the tests I asked for are there, but only the AEI report is used by Bad Morty)

The rubbing thing-

Xp4_zpsdtsjbzdp.png

Next measurements, temps, time frames-

Xp1_zpsxhnb72qv.png

Xp2_zpstjyrzfn3.png

Xp3_zpsehajlm5q.png

Xp5_zpskjgzkdnk.png

Xp6_zpsyaylx9ed.png

Finally, the transient test result graph which allow collected field data to be compared to predicted data-

Xp7_zps9osziaxd.png

According to this, the Colts balls pressures are perfectly explained by external conditions if measured between 5.5 and 9.5 minutes into halftime.  At no point in time is the Patriots balls explainable solely by external weather conditions alone.

So testing began from 2 minutes into the half, it took approx 5 minutes to do the Pats balls (officials swapped balls when measuring, not gauges) then put balls away (gauges down.  Then they get out the Colts balls and picked up the other gauges. So Colts Balls were likely measured at 8 to10 minutes in (fitting the model above) and then they had to stop, gather them up and bring them back out to the official on the field for play.  They barely got there in time (the little gaffe where kicking ball was spotted for play, then changed).

I find it interesting to hear what was presented at the appeal....

I think I might use the data Wells did in my method  http://forums.colts.com/topic/38957-the-cbf-report-deflate-science-re-done-independently/?p=1125750#entry1125750, get a better parallel to my report.

He was probably checking the pressure level of the balls...same as the colts sideline guy did after the interception.

Then his nickname would have been Chubby Checker (you're probably too young to remember him) , rather than the Deflator.