Bad Morty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - quoting removed post

Darn it, You have figured it out :).

But seriously, that's a championship team. Watermelon would have worked.

With comments like you make not too many take you seriously. :blah:

Well if they're wrong feel free to point out where I messed up. I guess you could ignore the researchers who agree with me as well

lol. I could throw some numbers back at you and pretend I know what I'm talking about, but that would just amount to two internet people making stuff up and trying to pass themselves off as knowledgeable when neither one of us is. Exponent spent months replicating conditions and running experiments before concluding that the PSI levels should have been 11.3. It's utterly laughable for you or any other hack with a keyboard to dust off your junior high school chemistry books to tell us your back of the envelope "calculation" is more accurate.

If it goes to court the ball boys will also be oath for the first time. They will have to answer some tough questions about those incriminating text messages

We both know that this will not go to court. That IMO is the reason Kraft didn't want it to go no farther. He knew that subpoenas were waiting at the court level.

We both know that this will not go to court. That IMO is the reason Kraft didn't want it to go no farther. He knew that subpoenas were waiting at the court level.

Yeah must have been that and not the fact that he did not want to sue his 31 other business partners ...

Yeah must have been that and not the fact that he did not want to sue his 31 other business partners ...

IMO it was that and you can come up with 100 more things to try to deflect, whine and or cry about till hades freezes over and it changes nothing. How hard is it to keep thinking of things that pacify you and your obsession?

lol. I could throw some numbers back at you and pretend I know what I'm talking about, but that would just amount to two internet people making stuff up and trying to pass themselves off as knowledgeable when neither one of us is. Exponent spent months replicating conditions and running experiments before concluding that the PSI levels should have been 11.3. It's utterly laughable for you or any other hack with a keyboard to dust off your junior high school chemistry books to tell us your back of the envelope "calculation" is more accurate.

Here's the rub, bub.  Formulas don't lie.  Input lies.  That's how  I get the saying "Figures lie, and liars figure."

The necessary weather data from game day by hour is on the internet. The pressures measured are in the Wells report.  Unless someone gives the true temp setting in the Pats locker room for the guess of 75 F is conservatively high, 3 F above standard room temperature.  given a reduced and simplified formula of the Ideal Gas law, anybody can indeed plug and chug (do they even say that anymore? Dang I'm so old...  but I digress) those numbers and get the correct result, and maybe not understand a thing they were doing in getting it. And others do understand, get the same results, and can chat about it.  My input figures are as accurate as I can find, and the assumption (locker room temperature) is set conservatively.  It's real and replicable.

So if you don't understand the methods and results and are just pretending and making stuff up, then why are you trying to debunk them? In finding errors in either my or Bubbz findings, your credibility goes to Zero unless you do some serious work and show the work and results. I put in the effort, and mine is out there.  I think Bubbz did too, in a different way.  It's open for debate and discussion, but be real about it.

You know, I agree to a good extent.  I still feel Brady should get 1 game for knowledge of tampering and 1 game for obstruction.  If he would have owned up at press conference and said something like  "Yeah, i have the ball boys try to get them through Ref checks as low as possible.  I never imagined they might try other illegal methods to get them the way I like though".  The same I feel for Andy Pettitte syndrome.Came clean and nobody riles on him like they do Bonds, McGwire, A. Rod  etc...

I would have been for a 25k - 50k team fine. and move on.  We know it didn't affect Colts game, but what about the Ravens game the week before?

"We know it didn't affect the Colts game, but what about the Ravens game the week before?"

You know, ColtsBlueFL, that's the million dollar question in my mind with this whole mess. Does it go back, and if so, how far?

Where is that link to the NFL conceding that the science in the Wells report was inaccurate? Can't seem to find that anywhere

Where is that link to the NFL conceding that the science in the Wells report was inaccurate? Can't seem to find that anywhere

Read the thread man, you missed the part where Jason Cole, the newly appointed NFL representative explained it.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, June 28, 2015 - baiting

"DeFlateGate is a joke."

DeFlateGate is about skirting the rules, thus cheating, in order to gain an advantage. Does not matter if Pats won 100-0.

"This does not diminish Patriots Championship."

Oh yes, it does. (McGuire, Sosa, Bonds) *Asterisks City, SportsArena

"They would have won with watermelons."

"Deflated" watermelons? What a mess that would make.

You are underestimating Patriots. That's a champion team. They are the defending champions.

Respect to them.

You know, I agree to a good extent. I still feel Brady should get 1 game for knowledge of tampering and 1 game for obstruction. If he would have owned up at press conference and said something like "Yeah, i have the ball boys try to get them through Ref checks as low as possible. I never imagined they might try other illegal methods to get them the way I like though". The same I feel for Andy Pettitte syndrome.Came clean and nobody riles on him like they do Bonds, McGwire, A. Rod etc...

I would have been for a 25k - 50k team fine. and move on. We know it didn't affect Colts game, but what about the Ravens game the week before?

That's what I am talking about. You the man CBFL.

Here's the rub, bub.  Formulas don't lie.  Input lies.  That's how  I get the saying "Figures lie, and liars figure."

The necessary weather data from game day by hour is on the internet. The pressures measured are in the Wells report.  Unless someone gives the true temp setting in the Pats locker room for the guess of 75 F is conservatively high, 3 F above standard room temperature.  given a reduced and simplified formula of the Ideal Gas law, anybody can indeed plug and chug (do they even say that anymore? Dang I'm so old...  but I digress) those numbers and get the correct result, and maybe not understand a thing they were doing in getting it. And others do understand, get the same results, and can chat about it.  My input figures are as accurate as I can find, and the assumption (locker room temperature) is set conservatively.  It's real and replicable.

So if you don't understand the methods and results and are just pretending and making stuff up, then why are you trying to debunk them? In finding errors in either my or Bubbz findings, your credibility goes to Zero unless you do some serious work and show the work and results. I put in the effort, and mine is out there.  I think Bubbz did too, in a different way.  It's open for debate and discussion, but be real about it.

I think you completely missed the point. I understand CLEARLY what was attempted in trying to prove deflation occurred. But I also understand that the people collecting the "Data" that was used as the basis for the proof were not scientists, nor were they sensitive to collecting the data in a truly "scientific" manner such that a real analysis could be done without the numerous assumptions that had to be made. The fact that something as basic to the analysis as "which of the 2 gauges was used" was missed and had to be deduced speaks volumes for the quality of the process. So whatever you or anybody else does with the numbers, it still by definition involves making assumptions about variables, assumptions that could easily sway the conclusion one way or another. I don't know this for a fact, however my guess is that nobody involved in conducting this operation thought that there would be any more analysis needed beyond "here are the measurements, and they are lower than the starting PSI. Case closed". You'll never convince me that anyone even considered that the conditions would deflate the balls, and the poor data collection process all but proves that.

I think you completely missed the point. I understand CLEARLY what was attempted in trying to prove deflation occurred. But I also understand that the people collecting the "Data" that was used as the basis for the proof were not scientists, nor were they sensitive to collecting the data in a truly "scientific" manner such that a real analysis could be done without the numerous assumptions that had to be made. The fact that something as basic to the analysis as "which of the 2 gauges was used" was missed and had to be deduced speaks volumes for the quality of the process. So whatever you or anybody else does with the numbers, it still by definition involves making assumptions about variables, assumptions that could easily sway the conclusion one way or another. I don't know this for a fact, however my guess is that nobody involved in conducting this operation thought that there would be any more analysis needed beyond "here are the measurements, and they are lower than the starting PSI. Case closed". You'll never convince me that anyone even considered that the conditions would deflate the balls, and the poor data collection process all but proves that.

Well, there's no way the NFL is going to stop the AFCCG and make halftime a science fair.  Not happening!  Besides, the level of proof is more probable than not.  This isn't a test to prove a theorem, just explain if there is a chance that something happened.  If so, look at other things and see if it fits, or acquits.  I've always wanted a 'Duke'. I might just go out to Dick's and get one.

I'm thinking of inflating it to 13 PSI, put it in a my 5th wheel  refrigerator that I will set at 50 degrees and then put the ball in there for 90 minutes, then take it out and measure every 30 seconds, carefully watching the 4  minute to 12 minute results.  we'll see how much it goes up and how much advantage a couple extra minutes gives the Colts balls.

Again, not purely scientific, but good enough to explain more probable or not if it was an major advantage to the Colts balls to have an extra minute or two in the warmth.   Like collecting evidence, it's just a piece of the puzzle. They never found the gun, nor proved a motive on Aaron Hernandez.  He was still found guilty.

Posted Today, 06:19 PM

Bad Morty, on 27 Jun 2015 - 6:53 PM, said:snapback.png

“I believe the data available on ball pressures can be explained on the basis of physical law, without manipulation. The scientific analysis in the Wells Report was a good attempt to seek the truth, however, it was based on data that are simply insufficient. In experimental science to reach a meaningful conclusion we make measurements multiple times under well-defined physical conditions. This is how we deal with the error or ‘spread’ of measured values. In the pressure measurements physical conditions were not very well-defined and major uncertainties, such as which gauge was used in pre-game measurements, affect conclusions. Finally, the claim of a statistically significant difference in pressure drop between the two team balls regardless of which gauge was used did not account for the fact that the Colts balls were apparently measured at the end of halftime since the officials ran out of time and made only four measurements – in other words, the Colts balls were measured after the Patriots balls and had warmed up more. For the above reasons, the Wells Report conclusion that physical law cannot explain the pressures is incorrect.” - Roderick MacKinnon, 2003 Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry.

According to Wells report, the time frame where all 15 balls (11 Patriots, 4 Colts) were all completed in about an 8 minute time frame. Halftime was slated 13 minutes, the first 3-4 minutes in the locker room both sets were warming back up as they were setting up the test.  I bet it is easy to set up an experiment showing how much a ball at 52 degrees F warms up in a 72 or 75 F room in a 12 minute span, those 1st 3 or 4 minutes meaning little (as no measurements were done on any balls at that point).  That could blow half of his supposition totally away.  And the other half he is saying the only way to have done it right is to stop the game and make a science fair out of halftime and run experiments until sufficient controlled data is achieved with all balls on both sides.  We all know the NFL isn't doing that. So his conclusion is there was nothing done to the balls because proper testing protocol wasn't achieved. I don't fully buy in to it unless HE performs the warmup test and provides the figures, in a properly setup test with defined conditions slotted within a 12 minute time span and is replicable... That the Colts balls were markedly better because they sat an extra minute or two until they were tested.  His claim, his proof.

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.” -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

"We know it didn't affect the Colts game, but what about the Ravens game the week before?"

You know, ColtsBlueFL, that's the million dollar question in my mind with this whole mess. Does it go back, and if so, how far?

Except Harbaugh denied more than once that anything was wrong with the Pats balls during that game. And Wells spent 100 days to try to find a history and came up with nada ...

Posted Today, 06:28 PM

ColtsBlueFL, on 27 Jun 2015 - 7:19 PM, said:snapback.png

According to Wells report, the time frame where all 15 balls (11 Patriots, 4 Colts) were all completed in about an 8 minute time frame. Halftime was slated 13 minutes, the first 3-4 minutes in the locker room both sets were warming back up as they were setting up the test.  I bet it is easy to set up an experiment showing how much a ball at 52 degrees F warms up in a 72 or 75 F room in a 12 minute span, those 1st 3 or 4 minutes meaning little (as no measurements were done on any balls at that point).  That could blow half of his supposition totally away.  And the other half he is saying the only way to have done it right is to stop the game and make a science fair out of halftime and run experiments until sufficient controlled data is achieved with all balls on both sides.  We all the NFL isn't doing that. So his conclusion is there was nothing done to the balls because proper testing protocol wasn't achieved. I don't fully buy in to it unless HE performs the warmup test and provides the figures, in a properly setup test with defined conditions slotted within a 12 minute time span and is replicable... That the Colts balls were markedly better because they sat an extra minute or two until they were tested.  His claim, his proof.

And here we are discussing this across 2 different threads, but that's exactly the point I just made...to make the case that balls were tampered with, it should require conclusive scientific proof, no? I mean set aside the bias you have against the Patriots for a second. Isn't it clear that the league had no idea that the balls deflated on their own?

Posted Today, 06:44 PM

Bad Morty, on 27 Jun 2015 - 7:28 PM, said:snapback.png

And here we are discussing this across 2 different threads, but that's exactly the point I just made...to make the case that balls were tampered with, it should require conclusive scientific proof, no? I mean set aside the bias you have against the Patriots for a second. Isn't it clear that the league had no idea that the balls deflated on their own?

No, just provide a clue- "Is it more probable than not".  It's collecting evidence in a case, not proving a new law/theorem etc. It's just part of the whole investigation, not a science fair.  If it is reasonably legit, then start looking at other factors and see if they fit the puzzle too.  It's the league standard.  Not absolute proof, nor beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is the burden of proof in the NFL, like it or not, and don't lose sight of that.

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.” -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

Posted Today, 06:55 PM

ColtsBlueFL, on 27 Jun 2015 - 7:44 PM, said:snapback.png

No, just provide a clue- "Is it more probable than not".  It's collecting evidence in a case, not proving a new law/theorem etc. It's just part of the whole investigation, not a science fair.  If it is reasonably legit, then start looking at other factors and see if they fit the puzzle too.  It's the league standard.  Not absolute proof, nor beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is the burden of proof, like it or not, and don't lose sight of that.

Bad Morty

no...I'm not talking about the NFL's standard for administering punishment...I'm talking about the scientific standard for arriving at a conclusion. You can't say that the science was "close enough".  We are talking about very small numbers here. Wells used some loose assumptions and bad statistical analysis to arrive at the conclusion that the balls were very slightly (i.e. 0.2 PSI) deflated beyond what the ideal gas law would predict. So you can stake your opinion to that if you choose, however my point is that if the shoddy science only gets you to a barely significant level of potential deflation, does it really make sense that there was an organized scheme to deflate footballs to gain an advantage? It's not reasonable to me that anybody would risk all of this to get a deflation level that couldn't possibly be detected by anybody without a gauge. There were a bunch of commentators on television in the first week of this when we all thought the balls were 2lbs light who did the feel test, and all of them could tell which ball was 12.5 and which was 10.5. I'd love to see those same people do that same test on balls that are 11.3 vs balls that are 11.1....I doubt anybody could legitimately feel that difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ColtsBlueFL

I can and do say that if a test is done well enough, it gives a clue whether to proceed and look for further evidence. We disagree, and the burden of proof only being more probable than not in the investigation. If it was the ONLY thing to hang the case on, your point is more valid IMO.

There wouldn't be a lawsuit. They could ask the court to overturn the punishment, but he wouldn't sue the league

Either way he is not going to drag the league and his other business partners through the mud. He said as much when he said he is one of 32 owners and he was choosing to end the rhetoric rather than extend it.

Posted Today, 06:19 PM

Bad Morty, on 27 Jun 2015 - 6:53 PM, said:snapback.png

According to Wells report, the time frame where all 15 balls (11 Patriots, 4 Colts) were all completed in about an 8 minute time frame. Halftime was slated 13 minutes, the first 3-4 minutes in the locker room both sets were warming back up as they were setting up the test.  I bet it is easy to set up an experiment showing how much a ball at 52 degrees F warms up in a 72 or 75 F room in a 12 minute span, those 1st 3 or 4 minutes meaning little (as no measurements were done on any balls at that point).  That could blow half of his supposition totally away.  And the other half he is saying the only way to have done it right is to stop the game and make a science fair out of halftime and run experiments until sufficient controlled data is achieved with all balls on both sides.  We all know the NFL isn't doing that. So his conclusion is there was nothing done to the balls because proper testing protocol wasn't achieved. I don't fully buy in to it unless HE performs the warmup test and provides the figures, in a properly setup test with defined conditions slotted within a 12 minute time span and is replicable... That the Colts balls were markedly better because they sat an extra minute or two until they were tested.  His claim, his proof.

Hi there,

I just saw you locked the other thread before I had a chance to let you know that I realize from your post that you spent a lot of time trying to recreate the test case scenario. I think that was awesome that you did that and tried to come up with your own, real world conclusions. I am not sure if we will really get the answers to what really happened that night but there have been numerous reports that have cast a lot of doubt on Wells/Exponents findings mostly based on their test case scenario and faulty premise. I believe in the end that may be enough to help Brady and possibly avoid court but I guess we will see. Either way, wanted to make sure you knew that I appreciated all your work even if I said I prefer to trust the actual scientists on this issue. That certainly does not set aside your findings at all.

Hi there,

I just saw you locked the other thread before I had a chance to let you know that I realize from your post that you spent a lot of time trying to recreate the test case scenario. I think that was awesome that you did that and tried to come up with your own, real world conclusions. I am not sure if we will really get the answers to what really happened that night but there have been numerous reports that have cast a lot of doubt on Wells/Exponents findings mostly based on their test case scenario and faulty premise. I believe in the end that may be enough to help Brady and possibly avoid court but I guess we will see. Either way, wanted to make sure you knew that I appreciated all your work even if I said I prefer to trust the actual scientists on this issue. That certainly does not set aside your findings at all.

Thanks!  But, you know, it's very possible that not all scientists have the knowledge to weigh in on the subject, yes?  Otherwise, go ahead... just choose one-

scientist_zpszz3awdqj.png

And yes indeed, my exact profession is listed as one of the above!  :thmup: (and possibly more than one applies)

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. (Clarke's First Law)" [Arthur C. Clarke Profile of the Future]

Hi there,

here here...I agree. You did a thorough job of it.

Hi there,

I just saw you locked the other thread before I had a chance to let you know that I realize from your post that you spent a lot of time trying to recreate the test case scenario. I think that was awesome that you did that and tried to come up with your own, real world conclusions. I am not sure if we will really get the answers to what really happened that night but there have been numerous reports that have cast a lot of doubt on Wells/Exponents findings mostly based on their test case scenario and faulty premise. I believe in the end that may be enough to help Brady and possibly avoid court but I guess we will see. Either way, wanted to make sure you knew that I appreciated all your work even if I said I prefer to trust the actual scientists on this issue. That certainly does not set aside your findings at all

I just wanted to say something before I went off to work, testing leather and air pressure integrity for Wilson, haha just kidding.

I commend you for your diligence  and effort in following up on the science of the situation and writing it out for all to see your conclusions.  Not many have the fortitude or gumption, to see something like this through.  If there were, we would have less arguments over something like this, because they would see for themselves the Mathematics, rather than just going by what others tell them.  Math is a universal language, and an outcome would be the same for anyone with the same initial denominators. 

He dismisses any test that shows any negativity on any Patriot. I am not a scientist, I have to use common sense. I am a firm believer in where there is smoke, there is a fire someplace. There have been untold amounts of opinion, speculation and a few reports from many different people. This thing has taken a whole life of it's own. There have been smokescreens, out and out lies and deflections. Break it all down to simplicity and Brady himself caused all of this. By him not cooperating and clearing himself of any wrong doing when he had the chance caused the chain reaction of all of this. All this would have been avoided had he just took the opportunity to show proof of his innocents. He himself opened the door for this to get to this point. Patriot fans can blame anyone they care to except the one responsible, Brady.

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, June 28, 2015 - Commenting on moderation Again
Hidden by SteelCityColt, June 28, 2015 - Commenting on moderation Again

Lol. Respect? Come on, Shane. What's gotten into you? :)

Ok Ok, you got me :)

You are safe and protected if you are not a Colts fan. Thought would try and believe it or not, its working :lol:

He dismisses any test that shows any negativity on any Patriot.

This is patently false. I dismiss only one test that shows negativity, because to my knowledge there has been only one set of tests that shows any negativity and that's the test contained in the Wells report. There have been several scientists who have made the claim that the research and conclusions are suspect here. Has any scientist come out in support of the Wells findings? I haven't heard a single supporting claim. Here's another interesting side note on the Wells report - tell me what you make of this. Back in February, reports went out that the NFL had reached out to the Columbia University Physics Department to assist with the research. Professor William Zajc of Columbia confirmed the NFL's interest back then http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/deflate-gate-investigator-seeks-help-ivy-league-physicist . Fast forward to May when the Wells report was released...not one mention of Columbia University is to be found. I wonder why that is? Perhaps Columbia's physicists didn't arrive at the conclusions the NFL was seeking?

This is patently false. I dismiss only one test that shows negativity, because to my knowledge there has been only one set of tests that shows any negativity and that's the test contained in the Wells report. There have been several scientists who have made the claim that the research and conclusions are suspect here. Has any scientist come out in support of the Wells findings? I haven't heard a single supporting claim. Here's another interesting side note on the Wells report - tell me what you make of this. Back in February, reports went out that the NFL had reached out to the Columbia University Physics Department to assist with the research. Professor William Zajc of Columbia confirmed the NFL's interest back then http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/deflate-gate-investigator-seeks-help-ivy-league-physicist . Fast forward to May when the Wells report was released...not one mention of Columbia University is to be found. I wonder why that is? Perhaps Columbia's physicists didn't arrive at the conclusions the NFL was seeking?

From the article....

Still, William Zajc, a scientist from Columbia’s physics department who confirmed the NFL’s overture to the Times, is skeptical.

“I think it’s more likely than not that [the footballs] were manipulated,” he said.

Interesting indeed.

This is patently false. I dismiss only one test that shows negativity, because to my knowledge there has been only one set of tests that shows any negativity and that's the test contained in the Wells report. There have been several scientists who have made the claim that the research and conclusions are suspect here. Has any scientist come out in support of the Wells findings? I haven't heard a single supporting claim. Here's another interesting side note on the Wells report - tell me what you make of this. Back in February, reports went out that the NFL had reached out to the Columbia University Physics Department to assist with the research. Professor William Zajc of Columbia confirmed the NFL's interest back then http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/deflate-gate-investigator-seeks-help-ivy-league-physicist . Fast forward to May when the Wells report was released...not one mention of Columbia University is to be found. I wonder why that is? Perhaps Columbia's physicists didn't arrive at the conclusions the NFL was seeking?

Actually, it is quite the opposite.  Zajc doesn't believe that atmospheric conditions are the sole reason for the pressure discrepancy.  But neither he nor any other Columbia physicist obliged to take on the project.  Thus the NFL had to move on to other candidates.

Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison, the law firm tasked with the investigation by the NFL, wants its own expert opinion, hence the Columbia request. But from the Times story, it doesn’t appear that any Columbia physicists will help them out. One member of the physics department, William Zajc, told the Times that he ended up not fielding the league’s questions but that he had his own opinion on the matter:

Zajc said he believed there was little chance that atmospheric effects alone could account for the discrepancies in the football pressure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/28/nfl-turns-to-columbia-university-physicists-for-deflategate-help/

Here's a funny or not video of Bill the Science Guy on Bill Belichicks 'science' press conference---

***  Warning a spot or or where bee[ed out curse words- and a global warming rant...  ***

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3d0c94936c/bill-nye-addresses-deflategate?_cc=__d___&_ccid=umsr5n.nqno7s

No, I don't think this is a peer reviewable scientific test...    LOL

(  Bill Nye, the Seahawk guy!  )

From the article....

Still, William Zajc, a scientist from Columbia’s physics department who confirmed the NFL’s overture to the Times, is skeptical.

“I think it’s more likely than not that [the footballs] were manipulated,” he said.

Interesting indeed.

He stated that OPINION prior to actually doing any tests...then all of a sudden they are out of the picture in favor of the "sure Tobacco Industry - we'll get you a report that says second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer!" folks.