Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex Says: Sure, I'd Like Peyton Manning

oldunclemark

....from the NY Daily News....

December 26, 2011 5:55 PM

Rex Ryan says Jets will not pursue Peyton Manning in the offseason

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan sang Peyton Manning’s praises yet again, but left no doubt that the Jets would not pursue the future Hall of Famer if he becomes available this offseason.

“There’s no way that we’re looking to replace Mark Sanchez,” Ryan said on ESPN radio on Monday. “There’s no doubt… If they were both out there and you were starting a draft, I would take…. Would you take Peyton Manning? Yeah, I’d take Peyton Manning over anybody. I’m not saying that….. I’m not telling that lie. Of course, I would take him. But right now, when you’re looking at our football team and our franchise, obviously we feel great about our quarterback situation. Is he going to get better, he absolutely is. Is he perfect? Not by any stretch of the imagination right now. …. But we think he has the ability to be special."

"Peyton Manning.... I’ve said from Day One that I think he’s the best quarterback in the National Football League," Ryan added. "I even put him over Tom Brady. So, of course, I recognize that Peyton Manning is an unbelievable quarterback. Do I think it’s even a consideration for us? No, I don’t.”

Ryan called a Pro Football talk report that people in the Jets organization have lost confidence in Sanchez as the long-term answer at quarterback “not true.”

“I've said repeatedly, 'This is my guy,'" Ryan said.

That would be incredibly dumb if he did go after Manning. Sanchez is their guy, and he has a lot of years ahead of him. To take Manning would be like saying, "Okay, we're gonna go all in to bring in a guy who is arguably the best quarterback ever, but he is aging, and probably doesn't have too many years left. But he may be able to help us win NOW, only to leave us in a world of hurt when he does leave the game for good." Makes no sense. Even in the short term there is no guarantee that he could generate immediate results. It takes time to get used to playing in a new system, on a new team, in a new city. No matter who you are.

They might well have won the SB the past two years if they had a top flight QB. I can certainly understand their having a "win now" mentality considering the age of some of their key players - and Sanchez has clearly been the weak link.

On the other hand, they've taken a step backwards this year, they have a lot invested in Sanchez, and he is young. Destroying their salary cap to get Peyton (at the expense of how many other contributors?) probably wouldn't make much sense.

But most importantly, Rex is just trying not to damage Sanchez's confidence. Who knows what he is really thinking.

They might well have won the SB the past two years if they had a top flight QB. I can certainly understand their having a "win now" mentality considering the age of some of their key players - and Sanchez has clearly been the weak link.

On the other hand, they've taken a step backwards this year, they have a lot invested in Sanchez, and he is young. Destroying their salary cap to get Peyton (at the expense of how many other contributors?) probably wouldn't make much sense.

But most importantly, Rex is just trying not to damage Sanchez's confidence. Who knows what he is really thinking.

Any talk of of Peyton Manning, quarterback New York Jets has to be based off the premise that we did did not pick up his option bonus.

I'm not sure it would destroy their cap.

http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

Sanchez has an upcoming cap # for 2012 and they would have 9 million by cutting him. He also has an 8 million cap # for 2013, so, those #'s alone would be enough money for Manning to structure a contract that would fit into those cap #'s for the first 2 years. They would have to be a little creative, but it could easily be done.

It's clear Rex respects Manning and would love to have him as his QB, He has to try to keep Sanchez afloat in case 18 to NYJ never materializes. It will be an interesting off season.

Ahhh, Rex. Crazy overzealous guy. Gotta love him.

The only reason he said he'd rather have Sanchez is probably because he wants to keep Sanchez happy and motivated, because if he knows his coach believes in him, he will believe in him.

I think the media is blowing this out of proportions, just like usual.

Any talk of of Peyton Manning, quarterback New York Jets has to be based off the premise that we did did not pick up his option bonus.

I'm not sure it would destroy their cap.

http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

Sanchez has an upcoming cap # for 2012 and they would have 9 million by cutting him. He also has an 8 million cap # for 2013, so, those #'s alone would be enough money for Manning to structure a contract that would fit into those cap #'s for the first 2 years. They would have to be a little creative, but it could easily be done.

It's clear Rex respects Manning and would love to have him as his QB, He has to try to keep Sanchez afloat in case 18 to NYJ never materializes. It will be an interesting off season.

Good point - interesting. I'm sick at the thought of Manning playing for anyone else, but if he did I would at least want it to result in his having continued success. He could do worse than the Jets.

That should have said cap hit of 14million in 2012.

Good point - interesting. I'm sick at the thought of Manning playing for anyone else, but if he did I would at least want it to result in his having continued success. He could do worse than the Jets.

I'm the same way, but if it comes down to that is what happens, I'd rather see him go to a team that gives him a chance to win a ring or two, because I don't see us being very competitive without him for the next few years.

Ahhh, Rex. Crazy overzealous guy. Gotta love him.

The only reason he said he'd rather have Sanchez is probably because he wants to keep Sanchez happy and motivated, because if he knows his coach believes in him, he will believe in him.

I think the media is blowing this out of proportions, just like usual.

That and it is a dig at Brady, which if Big Rex had a social media profile, he would list taking digs at Brady right up there with his fondness of feet.

That should have said cap hit of 14million in 2012.

I'm the same way, but if it comes down to that is what happens, I'd rather see him go to a team that gives him a chance to win a ring or two, because I don't see us being very competitive without him for the next few years.

Exactly.

Plus I live in NJ so I would get to enjoy it more (and be able to share my sisters enthusiasm for the Jets for once).

Exactly. Even if they were chomping at the bit to go after Manning as soon as he becomes available, they wouldn't come out and say it at this point. They don't want to burn bridges with Sanchez in the event that it never pans out. Plus, Sanchez is under enough pressure to perform as it is. It would be terrible for his confidence to know that the team is looking to replace him.

Plus I live in NJ so I would get to enjoy it more (and be able to share my sisters enthusiasm for the Jets for once).

I really hope Peyton is still a Colt come next season, but if it doesn't work out Eli and Peyton playing in the same stadium would be interesting.

I really hope Peyton is still a Colt come next season, but if it doesn't work out Eli and Peyton playing in the same stadium would be interesting.

That's pretty funny, I wasn't even thinking about that part.

Maybe they can meet for breakfast at the NJ Turnpike's Vince Lombardi Rest Area on the way to work. Perhaps find a spot with a scenic view of the swampland to contemplate the meaning of life - and thoughts like "how the heck did I end up here, and is that a foot sticking out of the water over there between the tire and the shopping cart?". :D

I stopped there for a cinnamon roll at Cinnabon on my way to Foxborough for the Colts/Pats game. New Jersey at its finest! Welcome to the armpit of America.

I don't head up the Pike often, partially because I'm no longer capable of holding my breath long enough to make it past all the refineries and chemical plants. You have a neat view of Newark Airport on one side (planes taking off right next to the highway), but the smell is often unholy. If you are doing 90 that's one thing, if you are stuck in a traffic jam you'd better turn off the a/c and put duct tape or something over the vents, and keep you cell phone primed to dial 911. Yikes.

Don't tell anyone, but a lot of NJ is beautiful. We just use Newark and Camden to scare people away.

The entry points must be sufficiently foul to turn back the outsiders! And if that doesn't work, we always have our taxation policies...

I've only been that far north on the Turnpike twice, both times en route to Boston. Pretty much the only time I ever drive on the Turnpike is when I drive home for the holidays, and then just the stretch from I-195 to I-276.

The entry points must be sufficiently foul to turn back the outsiders! And if that doesn't work, we always have our taxation policies...

I've only been that far north on the Turnpike twice, both times en route to Boston. Pretty much the only time I ever drive on the Turnpike is when I drive home for the holidays, and then just the stretch from I-195 to I-276.

I'm sorry, I thought that you were just passing through. I was talking to you like you were a ferner. Odd's are you're no more than about 50 miles from me.

Meh, I'm a Hoosier transplant, so you might still consider me a ferner. I just managed to hold my breath long enough to get through the entry point.

If you're observant, you don't have to play the odds.

:D More power to you. We don't make it easy.

Hmmm, observant, observant.

Live in Jersey City? - nah, too far north

Work for JC Penney? - nah, nobody would come all the way from Indiana for that.

Actually one of your earlier posts drops a hint that leads me to take a wild guess that your company might have a facility located a couple of hundred yards from a big veterinary office at which I've personally expended an absolutely horrifying volume of money. There's a wonderful regional theater a mile or two north of there as well. If not that exactly, I do know that there is a lot of :jets: and :flyingelvis: activity in the area.

Just a guess. I'm about 45 minutes west of there, if that is the correct where.

I don't like to be critical of someones' appearance but the Ryan brothers owe it to themselves to try to drop 100+ lbs. for health reasons and for the rest of the viewing world if I had guts like those two I would stay in bed. Being that heavy at that age will eventually cripple their ankles and knees. Diabetesis looming for both as well.

this whole Rex / Manning / Sanchez thing is EXACTLY why belichick treats the media the way he does. and you cant blame him.

if it were turned around and BB had sanchez as his QB and was asked the same question it would go...... mark is our QB, we're gonna play the game with the guys we have.

^fool^ Stephen A. Smith: ya, but if you could get peyton manning would you take him?....... BB: mark is our QB, he gives our team the best chance to win on sunday.

but since rex cant help himself and has to run his mouth at every chance he keeps the conversation going just long enough to tell the world if he could take manning over his own qb he would do it.

this whole Rex / Manning / Sanchez thing is EXACTLY why belichick treats the media the way he does. and you cant blame him.

if it were turned around and BB had sanchez as his QB and was asked the same question it would go...... mark is our QB, we're gonna play the game with the guys we have.

^fool^ Stephen A. Smith: ya, but if you could get peyton manning would you take him?....... BB: mark is our QB, he gives our team the best chance to win on sunday.

but since rex cant help himself and has to run his mouth at every chance he keeps the conversation going just long enough to tell the world if he could take manning over his own qb he would do it.

lol. yep. Maybe Rex doesn't want to kiss his rings but he could take a lesson from in on PR. :)