Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers Anthony Davis retires

Superman

Says for a year or so, to let his brain and body heal. Wow. Their offseason just keeps getting worse.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/49ers-anthony-davis-retires-at-age-25/

“After a few years of thought, I’ve decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL. This will be a time for me to allow my Brain and Body a chance to heal. I know many won’t understand my decision, that’s ok,” Davis said. “I hope you too have the courage to live your life how you planned it when day dreaming to yourself growing up. Your Life is Your dream and you have the power to control that dream. Im simply doing what’s best for my body as well as my mental health at this time in my life.”

The third player this off-season that has retired for the 49ers. Davis was Pick #11 back in 2010 for the 49ers.  Injured a lot this past year.  He started and played in 70 games over a 5-year span.  He is currently 25 years old.  The 49ers have had three players retire at age 30 or younger.  

I think players clearly dont like the new coach for sure. After seeing his presser, i wont blame them.

When a player doesn't like the coach, he asks for a trade, or just deals with it. A player doesn't retire and walk away from millions just because he doesn't like the coach. If the Niners want, they can come after Davis for all the bonus money, plus he doesn't get his 2015 salary. That's $5.6m total in 2015. And there's another $4.5m in bonus money on the remaining years, plus the salaries. 

So I don't think that's it at all.

When a player doesn't like the coach, he asks for a trade, or just deals with it. A player doesn't retire and walk away from millions just because he doesn't like the coach. If the Niners want, they can come after Davis for all the bonus money, plus he doesn't get his 2015 salary. That's $5.6m total in 2015. And there's another $4.5m in bonus money on the remaining years, plus the salaries. 

So I don't think that's it at all.

Is he what like the 5th 49ers player to retire the same year?. Coincidence?.

Story says he's the 4th Niner to retire this summer.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13020855/anthony-davis-becomes-fourth-member-san-francisco-49ers-retire-offseason

I think the poster "Wig" says it best with his comment that they may not be retiring due to the new HC,  but that some might've played this year if they thought they would be a very good competitive playoff level team as they were under Harbaugh...

NOTE:  Davis is a surprise retirement, as were both Willis and Borland.   The one who was not a surprise is Justin Smith, who'd be publicly considering if the last few years and is 35 years old and very beat-up.

Retiregate.

Seriously, does the 49ers even roster, bro? lol

I did smirk when I read that pgt. I won't lie. The sarcastic voice inside my head says "When a nice game check isn't enough anymore. When Jim Harbaugh is gone & so are your team's NFC Championship Game appearances...Just fade away into that Golden Gate Bridge sunset like a prospector who's just realized all hope is lost & all that's left is the shimmering light glory days of Montana & Young"...Too much? 

Yeah, I did lay the artificial disillusionment on a little thick there didn't I? Just messing around. Or if we wanna go full throttle conspiracy theory: Let's just claim that it's the diabolical plan of Bill Belichick to get back at Eric Mangini, the 49ers new DC, for exposing SpyGate to the NFL world when he coached the NY Jets. I mean if we're going go insane why restrain ourselves or apply logic right? If all your best players on defense leave, what better way to start behind the 8 ball correct? Just teasing...

In the comment section of the article, Sunday Butter says: "Santa Clara, where young NFL players goes to retire…" No, No, No. We all know NFL last rights are in Oakland man even my mother who doesn't watch any football knows that. 

BURN BABY BURN. 

The 49ers have totally crashed and burned. You have to be loving this for a team that fired one of the best coaches in the league for nothing. 

An argument could easily be made to support that POV Bogie. If I was York, I never would have fired Jim. No way in hades. If it comes down to a quarrel between my HC & my GM, my GM will be gone before a successful coach is given the boot. I can find another competent GM. Coaches that get my franchise to the SB are extremely rare. 1994 was San Frans last SB victory. That's almost ancient history in professional football years. 

Skoobyfl in the comment section replied "Must be something in the water or lack of water." Normally, I don't laugh at another state's record drought, but that line was clever when you remember that when a team is successful we say something is in the water so if a team is struggling the opposite H20 formula would be in play would it not? More ironic than funny I guess. 

As much as Jim's whining over Playoff zebra calls irritates me sometimes, I'm not releasing him over something that petty & childish either. The dude just wins & he turned the Niners into a contender again. 

Story says he's the 4th Niner to retire this summer.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13020855/anthony-davis-becomes-fourth-member-san-francisco-49ers-retire-offseason

I think the poster "Wig" says it best with his comment that they may not be retiring due to the new HC,  but that some might've played this year if they thought they would be a very good competitive playoff level team as they were under Harbaugh...

NOTE:  Davis is a surprise retirement, as were both Willis and Borland.   The one who was not a surprise is Justin Smith, who'd be publicly considering if the last few years and is 35 years old and very beat-up.

IF Harbaugh leaving factored into these guys leaving that is amazing given that on the way out he was characterized as a coach that was too tough on his players and could not get along with management. I think with anything guys understand when they are playing for someone that is a winner even if they hate his style.

In high school I had a coach that was a maniac when I played basketball. He used to throw chairs onto the floor during games when he got mad at the refs. BUT he was a great coach. The best I ever had and he got our team to play a levels we had never achieved before. Eventually he got fired because he benched our star player and she made a huge fuss and then we got a new coach who was awful. Our practices were soft, we didn't run enough, and we started losing.

That all being said, I just can't fathom a professional athlete walking away because of the coach. Especially with the niners given they have not even played for Tomsula yet.

I can see his logic. The teams going no where. If he handled his finances well he shouldn't have to worry about that. I'd assume he has to walk away from the dough. If he's married I'd guess he's getting pressure from the wife with the all the problems of former problems getting so much publicity

No way it's because of the coach. I don't know what his salary was But you don't walk away from a nfl salary because you don't like a coach.

You're probably right, he left a pretty decent pile of cash on the table.

Not only that....he played for Greg Schiano at Rutgers, whose disposition makes Harbaugh look like a Tibetan monk.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/anthony-davis/

IF Harbaugh leaving factored into these guys leaving that is amazing given that on the way out he was characterized as a coach that was too tough on his players and could not get along with management. I think with anything guys understand when they are playing for someone that is a winner even if they hate his style.

In high school I had a coach that was a maniac when I played basketball. He used to throw chairs onto the floor during games when he got mad at the refs. BUT he was a great coach. The best I ever had and he got our team to play a levels we had never achieved before. Eventually he got fired because he benched our star player and she made a huge fuss and then we got a new coach who was awful. Our practices were soft, we didn't run enough, and we started losing.

That all being said, I just can't fathom a professional athlete walking away because of the coach. Especially with the niners given they have not even played for Tomsula yet.

I don't mean to split hairs,  but I wouldn't say the players left because of the coach....

I'd say the players were leaning toward leaving,  but internally you have to ask if you're leaving a good situation.   Don't want to leave and then watch your team do great without you.    Hey, you could've been part of that.    So, perhaps you're looking to see if there's a reason you might stay for another year....

Perhaps the players could see the writing on the wall and say....   I'm not going to physically punish myself if I think this is going to be a rebuilding year where the team struggles.

And I'm not saying this definitively.....    more hypothetically or possibly for me....    Just thinking out loud.....   I could easily be wrong.

I don't mean to split hairs,  but I wouldn't say the players left because of the coach....

I'd say the players were leaning toward leaving,  but internally you have to ask if you're leaving a good situation.   Don't want to leave and then watch your team do great without you.    Hey, you could've been part of that.    So, perhaps you're looking to see if there's a reason you might stay for another year....

Perhaps the players could see the writing on the wall and say....   I'm not going to physically punish myself if I think this is going to be a rebuilding year where the team struggles.

And I'm not saying this definitively.....    more hypothetically or possibly for me....    Just thinking out loud.....   I could easily be wrong.

Yep. Would a player who is concerned about their long term health stay another year for the shot at a title? Quite possibly. There is no shot for this team this year...or maybe a couple of years. I respect his decision. 

You were coached by Bob Knight? Only teasing AMF. I get what you mean though. Coaches who push emotional buttons & help a team reach a new plateau are seldom appreciated until after they depart. I agree 100% I can hear BrentMc11 doing his spot on "Let me tell you something Chuck" voice in my head right now. It's vintage Bobby baby.  haha It's hilarious! 

Tomsula doesn't exactly dazzle me though, but maybe he's exceptional at exploiting weaknesses & timely sideline adjustments. Steelers HC Chuck Noll was not master communicator either & he had a darn nice career. 

Is it just me or does Coach Tomsula look like a left over cast member from the "Sopranos" TV show? You know an italian wise guy. Just thinking out loud. 

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Jim-Tomsula-Reacts-to-Anthony-Davis/2f7cfee5-3ff0-41a6-8295-c7d43b294b09

The-Sopranos-James-Gandolfin-Wallpaper-3

Did you see Tomsula introductory press conference ?. It was -----, I have no words.

Players are retiring and might unretire and join another team.

Did you see Tomsula introductory press conference ?. It was -----, I have no words.

Players are retiring and might unretire and join another team.

Yeah Shane, his first on camera interview was no confidence builder that's for sure. Not a pretty picture at all. Tomsula looks more at ease now. Not great, but better.