Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I wish we had brought him back and gave him a chance. I think some forgot how good he looked in the game against San Francisco two years ago. Dude was all over the field making plays. And I don't remember right off but did he start a game or two after that or not? We're talking about 2 years ago so I'm not quite sure. But yeah. He would be cheep so it wouldn't have hurt to have given him another shot.

I wish we had brought him back and gave him a chance. I think some forgot how good he looked in the game against San Francisco two years ago. Dude was all over the field making plays. And I don't remember right off but did he start a game or two after that or not? We're talking about 2 years ago so I'm not quite sure. But yeah. He would be cheep so it wouldn't have hurt to have given him another shot.

I think he's done. Had some serious injury issues, and I think that's why the team moved on. I liked his play in that Niners game, also, but that was two years ago. 

He was nothing special and oft-injured.

I think he's done. Had some serious injury issues, and I think that's why the team moved on. I liked his play in that Niners game, also, but that was two years ago. 

Yeah I forgot he had some type of neck injury. I wasn't thinking. So yeah his career may be over.

• 1 month later...

What a horrible fate for a guy who was prepping to be the starting safety in a contract year.  He had his career right where he wanted it and blew up on him because of a neck injury.  I would imagine he was thinking he would have had a strong season last year and would have played himself into a nice new contract.  I'd be curious to know how much money was paid to Howell in his time with the Colts.  All to end up with a broken neck and no chance to continue playing.

What a horrible fate for a guy who was prepping to be the starting safety in a contract year.  He had his career right where he wanted it and blew up on him because of a neck injury.  I would imagine he was thinking he would have had a strong season last year and would have played himself into a nice new contract.  I'd be curious to know how much money was paid to Howell in his time with the Colts.  All to end up with a broken neck and no chance to continue playing.

I'm pretty sure Delano did NOT end up with a broken neck.     I think he had what athletes refer to as a "stinger"...   and I think he had several of them.    Basically a pinched nerve in the neck which can weaken your neck and your arms....

But I suspect further damage to his neck was very possible.    His bio doesn't say anything about retiring.   It says he's a free agent.

If I had to guess how much he made,  I'd guess at roughly $900k or so, give or take...    of course, roughly half of that goes to taxes and agents fees and such....    so, he likely made just under $500k in his 3 years in the NFL.    How much he saved is anyone's guess.

Here's his bio...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delano_Howell

I'm pretty sure Delano did NOT end up with a broken neck.     I think he had what athletes refer to as a "stinger"...   and I think he had several of them.    Basically a pinched nerve in the neck which can weaken your neck and your arms....

But I suspect further damage to his neck was very possible.    His bio doesn't say anything about retiring.   It says he's a free agent.

If I had to guess how much he made,  I'd guess at roughly $900k or so, give or take...    of course, roughly half of that goes to taxes and agents fees and such....    so, he likely made just under $500k in his 3 years in the NFL.    How much he saved is anyone's guess.

Here's his bio...

He should have made around 1.3 in years 2011-2013. Then he was injury waived in 2014 and that would include some kind of settlement. So probably more like 1.6 mill. 

He should have made around 1.3 in years 2011-2013. Then he was injury waived in 2014 and that would include some kind of settlement. So probably more like 1.6 mill. 

I think his first year he didn't make the NFL minimum salary.

I think he made the PUP squad figure.    He only played one game, so I'm guessing he wasn't on the active roster for most of the season.    Again,  I'm guessing, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable guess.

Otherwise, we're guessing he was on the 53,  but only made the 46 man roster for 1 out of 16 games.   That doesn't seem likely to me.

But if he was on the 53 that year,  then I think you're numbers are likely more correct than mine....

Here's his bio...

Thanks for the numbers and the link NCF.  I guess I got carried away with my last sentence for sure.  I just feel for the guy.  Vicious sport can change your life.  It just seemed like it was all going to fall into place for him and then whammo he was injured and is now damaged goods.  Here's hoping Delano gets healed up and has another chance at that elusive long term contract.  Where ever that may be.

I think his first year he didn't make the NFL minimum salary.

I think he made the PUP squad figure.    He only played one game, so I'm guessing he wasn't on the active roster for most of the season.    Again,  I'm guessing, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable guess.

Otherwise, we're guessing he was on the 53,  but only made the 46 man roster for 1 out of 16 games.   That doesn't seem likely to me.

But if he was on the 53 that year,  then I think you're numbers are likely more correct than mine....

Looks like he probably was on the active 53 a week in November , the month of December and whatever we played in January. Saying this as he was claimed of the Bills PS in Nov 2012. So probably , looking ta the schedule .. a few days in Nov 5 ga,es in December and the playoff game vs Balt in Jan. So somewhere around the middle of PS squad money and vet min

Looks like he probably was on the active 53 a week in November , the month of December and whatever we played in January. Saying this as he was claimed of the Bills PS in Nov 2012. So probably , looking ta the schedule .. a few days in Nov 5 ga,es in December and the playoff game vs Balt in Jan. So somewhere around the middle of PS squad money and vet min

If that's the case,  then I think you're probably right.   That a made a full season's minimum salary.

Because I believe the rule is if you're on the 53 man roster for a certain number of weeks (6?  I'm not sure)  then you're paid the full season's minimum salary for the year.

Thanks.....    appreciate that....          :thmup:

If that's the case,  then I think you're probably right.   That a made a full season's minimum salary.

Because I believe the rule is if you're on the 53 man roster for a certain number of weeks (6?  I'm not sure)  then you're paid the full season's minimum salary for the year.

Thanks.....    appreciate that....          :thmup:

huh.. I figured he would get paid some weeks the PS salary and they the regular NFL min salary for the weeks he was on the 53. Anyway... I thought he was going to be a pretty decent starting safety , too bad with the neck injury. 

Agreed. I think because of roster is often so thin at certain positions, people have a tendency to overrate players that are "serviceable".

Ehh, when a young player is serviceable, people start to think about whether he could turn into something more. With Howell, no one will ever find out.

Ehh, when a young player is serviceable, people start to think about whether he could turn into something more. With Howell, no one will ever find out.

True. I mean it was a small sample size but a lot I'd people had high hopes for him. We can't say for certain but, chances are he would have been an okay rotational guy. Hitting gold with UDFA isn't that easy.