Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers extend Cam Newton, five years, $103.8m (merge)

12isthenew18

I'll believe that "full guarantee" stuff when I see it. But it sounds like it's going to be six years, $115-120m (starting with 2015). 

My understanding on the imminent Cam Newton 5-year, more than $100M extension is full guarantees are very real. We wait for firm numbers

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

June 1, 2015

Cam Newton hasn't yet agreed to terms, but every expectation his extension done in next 24-48hrs. Will be making over $20M/year...

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)

June 1, 2015

Sources: The Cam Newton mega-extension being finalized with the #Panthers right now is expected to be 5 years, more than $100M.

June 1, 2015

I'll believe that "full guarantee" stuff when I see it. But it sounds like it's going to be six years, $115-120m (starting with 2015). 

Wow if he gets that in guarantees than Wilson will have a big chip to play for his deal ...

My understanding on the imminent Cam Newton 5-year, more than $100M extension is full guarantees are very real. We wait for firm numbers

June 1, 2015

Cam Newton hasn't yet agreed to terms, but every expectation his extension done in next 24-48hrs. Will be making over $20M/year...

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)

June 1, 2015

Sources: The Cam Newton mega-extension being finalized with the #Panthers right now is expected to be 5 years, more than $100M.

June 1, 2015

That's realistic for Cam.....He's not great yet but the possibility is still there.

He's fairly durable..and he carries himself better than he did when he was younger.

You're paying for his prime years

That's realistic for Cam.....He's not great yet but the possibility is still there.

He's fairly durable..and he carries himself better than he did when he was younger.

You're paying for his prime years

The money makes sense. Fully guaranteed isn't going to happen.

I think he's one of the most overrated QBs in the league. Numbers haven't been there, he hasn't been clutch, and he hasn't won with one of the best defenses.

His numbers have been fine, the team around him has been bad. When the defense had a really good season, they went 12-4. He's not the greatest, that's for sure, but he's a good QB, and he'll get a good deal because there aren't a lot of those. He needs to really work on his footwork and speed up his decision making. We'll see how that goes.

His numbers have been fine, the team around him has been bad. When the defense had a really good season, they went 12-4. He's not the greatest, that's for sure, but he's a good QB, and he'll get a good deal because there aren't a lot of those. He needs to really work on his footwork and speed up his decision making. We'll see how that goes.

I think he's solid. Top 15 or so. Probably about where Dalton is in my book. Haven't really seen him progress the last couple of years.

If Luck want's a ring or more he better not break the bank cause I can see the Colts repeating the mistakes they made with Peyton.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Peyton taking several pay cuts to keep guys around, I have no doubt #12 would do the same

I think he's one of the most overrated QBs in the league. Numbers haven't been there, he hasn't been clutch, and he hasn't won with one of the best defenses.

I have not verified this but they said on the NFL Network that Newton's wins and stats in the months of Dec and Jan are second only to Brady the last three seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Peyton taking several pay cuts to keep guys around, I have no doubt #12 would do the same

I dont think Peyton ever took a pay cut here, it was restructuring his salary to a signing bonus pushing dollars to the back end of his deal.

I like Cam, he doesn't have a lot of

I have not verified this but they said on the NFL Network that Newton's wins and stats in the months of Dec and Jan are second only to Brady the last three seasons.

I was talking about what happens when the game is on the line.  I don't know that he's ever led a game-winning drive, he always seems to come up short. 

And I don't see how that's possible in January, with one playoff win against a team with the worst QB play I've seen in any NFL game, much less the playoffs.

I dont think Peyton ever took a pay cut here, it was restructuring his salary to a signing bonus pushing dollars to the back end of his deal.

I like Cam, he doesn't have a lot of

Meant to say he doesnt have a lot of help on offense. Line is pretty shaky, and the targets just havent been there other than Smith, Olsen and Benjamin. Got to remember CAR was a 2-14 team very recently.

Not sure why my post got cut short.

Just got an alert from NFL.com that the extension is 5 yr $103 mil...60 mil guaranteed...$67 mil paid out over the first 3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495161/article/cam-newton-panthers-agree-to-mega-extension

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article22863282.html

If they're tacking that on to the 2015 option of almost $15m, then it's a total of six years, ~$118m. I'm looking forward to the details/structure on this bad boy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495161/article/cam-newton-panthers-agree-to-mega-extension

Newton signed a five-year extension that will keep him under team control through the 2020 season, the Panthers announced on Tuesday. The deal is worth $103 million with Newton receiving $67.6 million over the first three years, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source involved in the situation.

Rapoport added the extension is $60 million in guarantees. The signal-caller is expected to get $30 million the first year of the deal, including the signing bonus.

--

Big money

Mike Greenberg's justification for the contract was that while Cam isn't an elite QB, he's a legitimate NFL starting QB and what other direction would the Panthers go if they didn't sign him.  $20 mil a year because he's a legitimate NFL starting QB?  He seems to be on some sort of Newton bandwagon.

I  guess I would not focus on completion/interception or won loss stats, I would want to find something to isolate a QBs performance from that which is influenced by the rest of the team or by garbage time stats.  My standard stat would be how good is he in the 2 minute drill, how often did he lead his team to scoring drives in the last few minutes of either half in tight games during his career.

I don't know those stats for Newton, but I thought the Panthers won last year because the defense was rather dominating.  Even he was injured and couldn't do a whole lot.  Seems like an inflated contract.

Part of me wonders if Carolina will regret this deal they way Chicago has with Cutler. I like Cam and think he can improve but this contract is paying him like he is already a top guy and he just isn't there yet. Time will tell ...

Would you not have paid Cam and let him seek employment elsewhere? He isn't that bad of a QB and has quality talent.

Part of me wonders if Carolina will regret this deal they way Chicago has with Cutler. I like Cam and think he can improve but this contract is paying him like he is already a top guy and he just isn't there yet. Time will tell ...

Cam does well without having many weapons by any means. If they would have get him receivers, they could win the division every year. 

I get what your driving at AMF, but Cutler's not the best comparison to Newton because at least he played on a squad that won the NFC South a couple of times under Cam's regime. Jay can't say that even if you include his tenure in both Denver & Chicago together. 

Plus, Cam's more of a leader now & less likely to pout with a towel over his head from season's past IMO. 

Cam does well without having many weapons by any means. If they would have get him receivers, they could win the division every year. 

CBS sports agrees with you Bogie. Refer to point #1 in this link:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25203104/cam-newton-lands-103m-deal-676-guaranteed-3-things-to-know

I'm glad Cam got paid because I've always liked Newton & I want Ron Rivera in Carolina for a very long time. 

I always wonder what HOF QB Warren Moon is thinking over contract numbers like that. He must be smiling. Moon was a trail blazer man & his superb play in the CFL & the NFL made owners & GMs respect the intelligence & play of African American QBs for years even decades to come. I admire Moon so much as a player, mentor, & ambassador for this league.  

CBS sports agrees with you Bogie. Refer to point #1 in this link:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25203104/cam-newton-lands-103m-deal-676-guaranteed-3-things-to-know

I'm glad Cam got paid because I've always liked Newton & I want Ron Rivera in Carolina for a very long time. 

I always wonder what HOF QB Warren Moon is thinking over contract numbers like that. He must be smiling. Moon was a trail blazer man & his superb play in the CFL & the NFL made owners & GMs respect the intelligence & play of African American QBs for years even decades to come. I admire Moon so much as a player, mentor, & ambassador for this league.  

Rivera staying in Carolina is bad for me. He gives the Saints fits  lmao

Moon is probably my 2nd favorite QB of all time behind Favre. He threw the most beautiful bombs. Had he got his career start in the 70's like he wanted, he probably would have got a ring. 

Rivera staying in Carolina is bad for me. He gives the Saints fits  lmao

Moon is probably my 2nd favorite QB of all time behind Favre. He threw the most beautiful bombs. Had he got his career start in the 70's like he wanted, he probably would have got a ring. 

I hear ya Bogie. If Lovie Smith had not restrained Ron as DC in Chicago at the SB in 2006 or encouraged him not to apply so much pressure to Manning INDY might have lost that game before the rain started to fall & Rex Grossman coughed up the ball so much. 

I know Moon threw a beautiful deep ball with a perfect touch on it. It was amazing. Warren's right up with with Jim Kelly. 2 QBs I'd give a SB ring to right now if I could change NFL history for just 1 day. 

He played so well for so long as a QB. I am blown away by his accuracy & longevity. Moon never gets enough respect for how incredible he was in Houston playing for the Oilers either. 

Lastly, I always liked the Oil rig logo on the side of their helmets. It seemed more fitting to me than a Dallas star or taurus bull that we see in the NFL now.

How often do we see what made owners billionaires in real life? As in truthful advertising Bogie? Authentic product placement is extremely rare these days.  haha

I hear ya Bogie. If Lovie Smith had not restrained Ron as DC in Chicago at the SB in 2006 or encouraged him not to apply so much pressure to Manning INDY might have lost that game before the rain started to fall & Rex Grossman coughed up the ball so much. 

I know Moon threw a beautiful deep ball with a perfect touch on it. It was amazing. Warren's right up with with Jim Kelly. 2 QBs I'd give a SB ring to right now if I could change NFL history for just 1 day. 

He played so well for so long as a QB. I am blown away by his accuracy & longevity. Moon never gets enough respect for how incredible he was in Houston playing for the Oilers either. 

Lastly, I always liked the Oil rig logo on the side of their helmets. It seemed more fitting to me than a Dallas star or taurus bull that we see in the NFL now.

How often do we see what made owners billionaires in real life? As in truthful advertising Bogie? Authentic product placement is extremely rare these days.  haha

I had a Houston Oilers poster when I was a kid. i was very upset when they moved to Tennessee and changed their name. I grew to really hate them for that.

You're right the oil rig is fitting and it's kind of funny to me. I have an in law that used to work on a rig out there, and my family back in the day used to do seafood work in Houston every now and then for big shrimping trips. 

When the Texans became a team, I really wished they would have used those old Oilers colors. They scream vintage 80's to me. That cool neon blue with the white, can never go wrong with that, and then the red facemask. 

Another cool 90's QB I loved is Jim Everett. Everett, Kelly, and Moon were awesome.