Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

These 20 Vets to be cut in camp

Jay Kirk

Obviously Ballard for us is the first thought and he will be fighting to stay on the roster. The two names that stuck out to me are EJ Manuel and Brandon Carr. If Manuel got cut, I wouldn't mind signing him to a cheap contract and making him our 3 with a chance to be the backup. It could have multiple effects. We could have a half-decent backup for Luck when Hasselback retires, or if Luck goes down, EJ could get some inflated trade value for us if he fills in for Luck and our receivers make him look good. I think Brandon Carr is the other one. He's still a decent corner and even though he wouldn't be someone we'd sign, it's interesting the Cowboys may cut him with Claiborne as bad as he is (yes I know the drafted Byron Jones in the 1st).

Hakeem and donald are former notables, no else surprises me. I think this was written really poorly as a side note. I agree with the info, but the layout was ridiculous having to double click on a slide to get the info on a player. Really bad presentation on a site I've never been on.

Obviously Ballard for us is the first thought and he will be fighting to stay on the roster. The two names that stuck out to me are EJ Manuel and Brandon Carr. If Manuel got cut, I wouldn't mind signing him to a cheap contract and making him our 3 with a chance to be the backup. It could have multiple effects. We could have a half-decent backup for Luck when Hasselback retires, or if Luck goes down, EJ could get some inflated trade value for us if he fills in for Luck and our receivers make him look good. I think Brandon Carr is the other one. He's still a decent corner and even though he wouldn't be someone we'd sign, it's interesting the Cowboys may cut him with Claiborne as bad as he is (yes I know the drafted Byron Jones in the 1st).

Hakeem and donald are former notables, no else surprises me. I think this was written really poorly as a side note. I agree with the info, but the layout was ridiculous having to double click on a slide to get the info on a player. Really bad presentation on a site I've never been on.

Im with you the 2 you mentioned are 2 that I wouldn't mind looking at. Ballard if healthy will make this team if not hes probably gone JMO .

Let me ask you guys this, what about an even swap of hasselback for manuel? Grigson could call the Bills and see if they are considering cutting him, if they are, we give them Hasselback so they can make a playoff run this year and draft a franchise qb next year. In return, we get a solid backup qb for Luck's career and Manuel's. What would you do? It would be a decent idea IMO, assuming this is accurate and he's a cut candidate.

Let me ask you guys this, what about an even swap of hasselback for manuel? Grigson could call the Bills and see if they are considering cutting him, if they are, we give them Hasselback so they can make a playoff run this year and draft a franchise qb next year. In return, we get a solid backup qb for Luck's career and Manuel's. What would you do? It would be a decent idea IMO, assuming this is accurate and he's a cut candidate.

Never lol , Hasselback is to good and smart to part ways with. IMO if Luck goes down he gives you a chance to win and wont beat ourself from his mistakes. :thmup:

Shonn Greene might not set the world on fire but he averaged more YPC then Sankey did last year.  I don't think it would be a good idea for them to release him just yet.

Oh I agree this is a persons opinion from ESPN .  We know these are speculation , but I can see some of these along with other surprises . :thmup:

No no no no no.  

Manuel has a fully guaranteed contract.  I'd rather draft a QB to develop as a backup or sign an actual decent backup.

I'd rather have Mike Glennon if we could get ahold of him.  

Never lol , Hasselback is to good and smart to part ways with. IMO if Luck goes down he gives you a chance to win and wont beat ourself from his mistakes. :thmup:

IMO Manuel would learn a ton from Has. , and I like Manuels physical ability.

Fair enough, it's fun to throw out ideas though. It would be a bit of a downgrade short term, but we'd have a backup with some ability and experience along with youth once Hasselback left. It's a unlikely to happen scenario, in a perfect world we'd get both and Manuel would take over as the backup next year.

No no no no no.  

Manuel has a fully guaranteed contract.  I'd rather draft a QB to develop as a backup or sign an actual decent backup.

I'd rather have Mike Glennon if we could get ahold of him.  

You don't think Manuel is a decent backup? I thought I was low on him thinking he was the worst starter in the league lol. I agree Glennon would be solid, but I don't see him being cut even with Winston. 

I don't see the Bills cutting Manuel at all.  He's still got, I think, 2 years left on his deal.  He's at least good enough to be a backup.  If they were to cut him, they'd have to pay out his entire salary anyway.  So really, the only way they would cut him is if he really is not better than the 53rd person on the team and I don't think anyone can say that would be the case.  They might trade him, but that's completely different than cutting him.   In fact, I would say that most the guys on that list who are still on their rookie deals and drafted in the top two or three rounds won't be cut for that same reason.

I don't see the Bills cutting Manuel at all.  He's still got, I think, 2 years left on his deal.  He's at least good enough to be a backup.  If they were to cut him, they'd have to pay out his entire salary anyway.  So really, the only way they would cut him is if he really is not better than the 53rd person on the team and I don't think anyone can say that would be the case.  They might trade him, but that's completely different than cutting him.   In fact, I would say that most the guys on that list who are still on their rookie deals and drafted in the top two or three rounds won't be cut for that same reason.

I don't disagree at all , this was not my ideas at all , just wanted to know what people thought. Besides that frankly Im bored. :D

I don't disagree at all , this was not my ideas at all , just wanted to know what people thought. Besides that frankly Im bored. :D

Oh, I wasn't taking this as your opinion.  Just my 2 cents on the article.  Was still interesting to say the least.  I think there were more ex-Colts players on there than any other team.  At least it felt that way, lol.

I think this is a "should be" list, not "will be". Pure speculation. Saying guys like TRich and Nicks will be cut, and it already decided is hard to believe. These guys have barely even had time to practice with their new teams yet.

I wouldnt trade Hasselbeck for Manuel. If Manuel is cut, I wouldnt mind putting in a claim or even offering a 7th for him. But for now, Matt is our best option for emergency QB and Manuel would only be useful once Matt retires.

Hasselbeck is probably the best backup in the league, at least the most accomplished.

lmao!

You don't think Manuel is a decent backup? I thought I was low on him thinking he was the worst starter in the league lol. I agree Glennon would be solid, but I don't see him being cut even with Winston. 

Probably won't but considering they have Winston the Bucs might just take like a 4th rounder on him if they are all in on Winston being the future.

Honestly I think Glennon is an underrated quarterback.  Obviously he's not setting the world on fire or anything, but If you make a list of the top 32 QB's in the league I would say he's probably on there.  If not then he's not far behind.

Guy had a decent passer rating, completion % and a positive TD/INT ratio.  Only a few backup QB's out there can claim that.  

I think this is a "should be" list, not "will be". Pure speculation. Saying guys like TRich and Nicks will be cut, and it already decided is hard to believe. These guys have barely even had time to practice with their new teams yet.

I wouldnt trade Hasselbeck for Manuel. If Manuel is cut, I wouldnt mind putting in a claim or even offering a 7th for him. But for now, Matt is our best option for emergency QB and Manuel would only be useful once Matt retires.

Hasselbeck is probably the best backup in the league, at least the most accomplished.

Not to mention a very good mentor and teammate , a true pro. 

Not to mention a very good mentor and teammate , a true pro.

Very true. Luck himself has credited alot of his development to Matt's tutelege. Hes also been mentioned by Fleener and a few other players as a guy who they can bounce ideas off of, and they really benefit from his vast amount of experience. He also has experience in a SB, which could prove invaluable this year.