Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Goodell "The Devil"?

krunk

According to Joe Horn:

Former New Orleans Saints receiver Joe Horn offered one of the strongest rebukes yet of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, calling him "the devil" and saying he doesn't like to see rookies hugging Goodell on the stage during the NFL draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12956098/former-nfl-receiver-joe-horn-calls-roger-goodell-devil

Yeah, Goddell is always beating his wife, using PEDs and ;paying bounties for hits on QBs.

Wonder what Joe Horn thinks of Aaron Hernandez?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cut from the same cloth Brent. It's like getting your college diploma: Your professors don't care. Just stroll across the stage & end the formalities as quickly as possible. 

Embracing one's boss just seems odd to me. There are a few exceptions maybe: Their retirement, your retirement, winning the lottery...

Lol my boss might get something if I hit the lotto but it wont be a hug. I wont elaborate. :funny:

According to Joe Horn:

Former New Orleans Saints receiver Joe Horn offered one of the strongest rebukes yet of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, calling him "the devil" and saying he doesn't like to see rookies hugging Goodell on the stage during the NFL draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12956098/former-nfl-receiver-joe-horn-calls-roger-goodell-devil

Hes an * with a big mouth just piling on Goodell maybe he did'nt get enough hugs and just needs one , 

As current and former players have given their thoughts on deflategate, I am reminded of a great quote from Abraham Lincoln:

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

The quote is often attributed to Abe Lincoln and/or Mark Twain. However, the evidence in both instances is dubious. The best evidence is it's actually a reworded quote from the Bible

The quote is often attributed to Abe Lincoln and/or Mark Twain. However, the evidence in both instances is dubious. The best evidence is it's actually a reworded quote from the Bible

True. Also.....

I prefer.. Honesty is the best Policy.

Lol my boss might get something if I hit the lotto but it wont be a hug. I wont elaborate. :funny:

I read ya Jay. Winning millions of dollars does give an employee the luxury of telling your former boss what you truly think of them & their management methods with no economic repercussions.

However, given the fact that a lot of people who win large sums of squander it all away on cars, homes, vacations, family & friends, an overnight transformation from rags to riches can destroy some people. 

I'm sure Jay however that you are the exception to this bankruptcy rule because you won't have any trouble telling people with their hands out to get lost. That's the key: Knowing when to cut greedy relatives off the gravy train completely & decisively. 

True. Also.....

I prefer.. Honesty is the best Policy.

Exactly Gramz just put all your cards on the table & let the chips fall where they may. I may be disappointed that someone I respected lied to me, but if they take full responsibility for their actions, I can learn to overlook most indiscretions. Like we learned in WaterGate, the crime doesn't take you down; the coverup or lying about what really went down does.

Brady is still an elite HOF QB, but I have lost some respect for the man on a personal, integrity level. It's just how I feel. He could fix this & he refuses to do so because he knew what he did & why he did it: To get an illegal advantage.  

I know this thread is about Goodell. Sorry, I went off in a slightly different direction there. 

Yes. Proverbs to be exact which has much counsel for the "fools" and the "wise" in regards to speaking. 

As current and former players have given their thoughts on deflategate, I am reminded of a great quote from Abraham Lincoln:

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

"Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly."

--Mahatma Gandhi--

There's always the other side of a coin. Knowing the difference between these two quotes and acting upon them in the appropriate setting is the sign of intelligent thinking.

"Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly."

--Mahatma Gandhi--

There's always the other side of a coin. Knowing the difference between these two quotes and acting upon them in the appropriate setting is the sign of intelligent thinking.

I agree. Those that have spoken out during this whole ordeal have looked foolish. Actions speak louder than words and knowing when to keep silent is paramount in our viral, 24x7 media age where guilt is assumed before innocence.

Hey AMF, 

I just saw Brady playing flag football for charity on NFL Total Access [Friday's Show.] He looked like he was having a blast there avoiding the little kids pass rush.  haha Nice. 

That reminds Teddy 2 the movie sequel is coming out soon. I'm curious to see Tom's comedic skills on the silver screen too. It looks hilarious. Okay, back on track...

Hey AMF, 

I just saw Brady playing flag football for charity on NFL Total Access [Friday's Show.] He looked like he was having a blast there avoiding the little kids pass rush.  haha Nice. 

Yeah. It was his Best Buddies charity for disabled children. It is an awesome event. Seems as though everyone has a good time. Nice to see him out and about and having fun.

We better be careful about too much bible talk. The Goodell devil won't like it & may suspend us

Technically, the devil is a fallen angel himself biblically speaking so I don't see Lucifer, I mean Goodell, raising a fuss over his descend that much.

I was gonna take it 1 step further, but football & religious jokes seldom miss well together so I will let it go. 

Yeah. It was his Best Buddies charity for disabled children. It is an awesome event. Seems as though everyone has a good time. Nice to see him out and about and having fun.

So, you have gone before? Cool. I never knew it was open to the Boston public. I like it when athletes do stuff for kids instead of nonstop celebrity golf tournament fundraising events for Cancer research etc. etc. 

So, you have gone before? Cool. I never knew it was open to the Boston public. I like it when athletes do stuff for kids instead of nonstop celebrity golf tournament fundraising events for Cancer research etc. etc. 

No. I have not but I know people that have. It is at Harvard. I think they had around 5,000 people this year.

I don't know if Goodell is the Devil; that's going a bit far. He might be just a minor participant in the Devil's army. One clue would be if he's involved with Al Pacino's law firm.

"The Devil's Advocate" released in 1997 was a very strange film. Too weird even for me & I like Pacino as an actor. 

No. I have not but I know people that have. It is at Harvard. I think they had around 5,000 people this year.

Maybe a friend of yours will have an extra ticket for you someday AMF when their spouse or loved one can't attend. I know you'd enjoy meeting Brady if that's allowed for ticket holders that is. 

I agree. Those that have spoken out during this whole ordeal have looked foolish. Actions speak louder than words and knowing when to keep silent is paramount in our viral, 24x7 media age where guilt is assumed before innocence.

"Those that have spoken out (your statement of current and former players) during this whole ordeal have looked foolish."

3 questions here, am, just for clarification ... (not trying to bait you, just want your explanations of where you're going with this)

Does this quote above include pro-Brady advocates from current and former players before and/or after the Wells report was released?

And, if it does, does it also include all pro-Patriot fans as well? Or, just the ones who disagree with the assessment of Brady's innocence before and/or after the Wells report was released also?

"Those that have spoken out (your statement of current and former players) during this whole ordeal have looked foolish."

3 questions here, am, just for clarification ... (not trying to bait you, just want your explanations of where you're going with this)

Does this quote above include pro-Brady advocates from current and former players before and/or after the Wells report was released?

And, if it does, does it also include all pro-Patriot fans as well? Or, just the ones who disagree with the assessment of Brady's innocence before and/or after the Wells report was released also?

Basically she's calling all who have said anything against Brady fools. That's what I see. Typical defensive statement. Always trying turn it around to defend her boy. But anything anybody has said trying to defend him could turn out to make them look quite foolish as well. Always two sides to the coin.

You got proof and evidence to show just how they have looked foolish??? Or is this just you spewing out because you're hurt that your boy Brady has questionable reputation in reguards to his Integrity and how he plays the game? Sad fact is... this black cloud wont leave him or the Patriots for a very long long time, if ever!!!

Basically she's calling all who have said anything against Brady fools. That's what I see. Typical defensive statement. Always trying turn it around to defend her boy. But anything anybody has said trying to defend him could turn out to make them look quite foolish as well. Always two sides to the coin.

Love that bottom SIG of yours, weslo1812! Can't remember if I've told you that before. If I have, chalk it up to my memory banks not being as sharp as to when I was younger.

I don't think anyone has done themselves in any favors with speaking out on this subject, pro or con. It has been painful to watch as a communications person. Player after player, coach after coach, analyst after analyst, just awful.

The best take on this whole thing I thought was from Mark Schlert who did not discuss deflategate really at all but talked about a culture of cheating that exists in the NFL and what I thought was interesting about his comments is he talked about how he used to cheat himself by rubbing himself with vaseline. He also talked about how his teams like the Broncos circumvented the cap and how the Redskins used to hide guys on IR. I think he gave some great perspective that has been sorely lacking on this sordid mess.

I don't think anyone has done themselves in any favors with speaking out on this subject, pro or con. It has been painful to watch as a communications person. Player after player, coach after coach, analyst after analyst, just awful.

The best take on this whole thing I thought was from Mark Schlert who did not discuss deflategate really at all but talked about a culture of cheating that exists in the NFL and what I thought was interesting about his comments is he talked about how he used to cheat himself by rubbing himself with vaseline. He also talked about how his teams like the Broncos circumvented the cap and how the Redskins used to hide guys on IR. I think he gave some great perspective that has been sorely lacking on this sordid mess.

Okay. Fair enough. One question still haunts me, though. Why would anyone be against Roger Goodell for trying to clean up the entire league from any kind of rule or regulation infraction(s)?

I.E. - DeFlateGate - Wells Report - Goodell's punishment levied against the Patriots and Brady.

Okay. Fair enough. One question still haunts me, though. Why would anyone be against Roger Goodell for trying to clean up the entire league from any kind of rule or regulation infraction(s)?

I.E. - DeFlateGate - Wells Report - Goodell's punishment levied against the Patriots and Brady.

I don't think anyone is against Roger for wanting to stop violations but he seems to lack consistency if that is indeed his intention as the Vikings and Panthers were ball tampering this season and got no punishment just a warning to not do it again and then of course you have the Falcons pumping in crowd noise the Browns sending text messages and their punishments were nowhere close to what the Pats received. So his actions here leave a lot of fans not feeling like he is wielding power consistency and of course the Wells report did fall short of actually proving tampering so there is that as well.

I don't think anyone is against Roger for wanting to stop violations but he seems to lack consistency if that is indeed his intention as the Vikings and Panthers were ball tampering this season and got no punishment just a warning to not do it again and then of course you have the Falcons pumping in crowd noise the Browns sending text messages and their punishments were nowhere close to what the Pats received. So his actions here leave a lot of fans not feeling like he is wielding power consistency and of course the Wells report did fall short of actually proving tampering so there is that as well.

I hear ya. Just seems to me that DeFlateGate was the straw that broke the camel's back. There comes a time when that happens. New England and Brady just happened to be that straw, IMO. Goodell has sent the message to the entire league for good this time. What better way to say, "enough is enough", by instituting and following protocol from this last infraction by the Patriots. It's about time, IMO.

I hear ya. Just seems to me that DeFlateGate was the straw that broke the camel's back. There comes a time when that happens. New England and Brady just happened to be that straw, IMO. Goodell has sent the message to the entire league for good this time. What better way to say, "enough is enough", by instituting and following protocol from this last infraction by the Patriots. It's about time, IMO.

I guess you could look at that way. But do you really want the Colts and Andrew Luck to receive this type of punishment for what the rule book says is a $25k infraction and also for which the league has never punished more than a fine in the past? I mean there are much more egregious violations to punish for than ball tampering. I get the whole "integrity of the game" mantra but in terms of competitive advantage this is at like a 1 on a scale of 1-10. As a fan, I don't want to see this. Roger needs to keep working on his moral policy as since the time of Brady's suspension, you have had multiple offenders surface. This is a much bigger issue IMO than ball tampering ...

I guess you could look at that way. But do you really want the Colts and Andrew Luck to receive this type of punishment for what the rule book says is a $25k infraction and also for which the league has never punished more than a fine in the past? I mean there are much more egregious violations to punish for than ball tampering. I get the whole "integrity of the game" mantra but in terms of competitive advantage this is at like a 1 on a scale of 1-10. As a fan, I don't want to see this. Roger needs to keep working on his moral policy as since the time of Brady's suspension, you have had multiple offenders surface. This is a much bigger issue IMO than ball tampering ...

Well, am, (I'll answer in your own words) "I guess you could look at { it } that way."

And yes, it is a much more bigger issue than ball tampering. IMO, the series of events that took place "before and after" the Super Bowl judging from the Wells Report points in that very direction. i.e. The "more probable than not" of concealment (lying & cover-up) parallels and outweighs the actual infraction itself, IMO. Coupled together creates the entire fiasco on a level that could not be ignored by the NFL and its fans along with the rest of the country considering who was involved.

Well, am, (I'll answer in your own words) "I guess you could look at { it } that way."

And yes, it is a much more bigger issue than ball tampering. IMO, the series of events that took place "before and after" the Super Bowl judging from the Wells Report points in that very direction. i.e. The "more probable than not" of concealment (lying & cover-up) parallels and outweighs the actual infraction itself, IMO. Coupled together creates the entire fiasco on a level that could not be ignored by the NFL and its fans along with the rest of the country considering who was involved.

It is probably best if we agree to disagree. I have a very different view point of the whole scenario from before the AFCCG and then after the game beginning with the bogus Mort Anderson report that the league never bothered to refute and still has not said anything to this day and then the bogus Wells report that is anything but independent. This whole thing has smelled bad from the league from day one and continues to reek. But I get how the narrative that the Pats are cheats fits the rest of the nations appetite. As I have said from the beginning, the wind blows the hardest when you are at the top of the mountain.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please PM me as I have told the Mod team that I will avoid arguments on this subject in particular given the sensitivities for both fan bases.

Nice to see that the horse most thought was dead, you actually thought there was some life still left in it....   so you thought you'd come along and just beat the poor horse to death even more!

Let.    It.    Go.

As hard as is this for you to wrap your brain around,   there's no reason -- none -- why the NFL should be going out of its way to punish it's marque franchise and marque player right after they just won their latest Super Bowl.     It is NOT in the NFL's interest to do that.

UNLESS..........

They thought there was a problem with the Patriots.    Again.

The book says "not limited to $25,000"

This has been pointed out to you several times

Back to the topic at hand, and the question (title of this thread) no, Goodell is not the Devil.

Has he made some mistakes along the way? Yes. I also believe he's learned from certain mistskes, and missteps, and is doing his best to get things back on track, and do what is in the best interest of the NFL.