Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com adds asterisk next to Tom Brady's name

OffensivelyPC

Man, oh, man. What does it take? You keep pounding the table with Brady's words, "I did not alter the ball in any way" from the January presser and that should be it. Wrong. The Wells report needs to be addressed by Brady himself and in public to change minds. It's really that simplistic. He chose not to. So be it. Like you said, let the process work itself out. Fair enough. I'm doing that. However, that does not mean that _ I _ remain silent when Pats fans put forth posts to the contrary of guilt or innocence without rebuttal.

I am still not sure why Brady needs to publicly take a position on the Wells Report when it came out and there is a time for him to do this later.   As for why pats fans are claiming innocent or guilt or vice versa with non pats fans saying the opposite, none of us truly know if Brady is responsible or not, hopefully we will get a clearer picture one way or the other in the upcoming months.  

If your position is that Brady needed to counter the Wells Report for public sentiment then I understand where you are coming from, although frankly that was essentially handled by his agent imo.

If your position is that Brady needed to counter the Wells Report to effect the substantive ruling in his case with the NFL then I can not agreed with you as that will be handled in due time with the appeals.  

it seems that we are essentially in agreement but just differ on a few minor things.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is where I call nonsense.

This is how things went down and it offends you:

Brady denied his involvement at the beginning, the report came out, then he filed an appeal of his punishment and said, "(I will issue a public statement) hopefully soon. There's still a process that's going forth right now. I'm involved with this process. Whenever it happens, it happens."

But IF this was how things went down, you would respect him: 

Brady denied his involvement at the beginning, the report came out, then he filed an appeal of his punishment and said, "I still deny any involvement, contrary to what the Well's Report assumes and I am disappointed that the NFL thought that a few out of context text messages proved guilt. There is a process that's going forth right now. I'm involved with this process."

I guess I don't really see the difference in those two scenarios. The end result and where we would be now is still the same. Your response to that statement would have been the same to your responses to Patriots fans who tried to say the same thing about the report.

But here the thing: You already believe he is guilty. You believe he is lying. So when we put these two comments of yours side by side...

...I find it disingenuous when you say all he had to do was say something either way in his own words and you'd be more inclined to forgive and move on. Even if he came out and said AGAIN that he was innocent, you would not 'forgive' because you believe he would be lying. So no matter what you try say about it, the truth is that the only thing that would really satisfy you is if he admitted guilt.

Spoken like a true blindfolded Patriot fan that you are. Yes, I do believe he is guilty. Yes, I do believe he is lying. So what? All you're doing is mincing words to fit an argument that's totally ambiguous at best.

And quit putting words into people's thoughts and posts. "So matter what you try to say about it, the truth is that the only thing that would satisfy you is if he admitted guilt."

You are soooo far from the truth. I would've respected him for doing so either way. If guilty, I would've been deeply saddened and very disappointed in him as a famous QB that represents the NFL from the aspect of recognizable role models.

I am still not sure why Brady needs to publicly take a position on the Wells Report when it came out and there is a time for him to do this later.   As for why pats fans are claiming innocent or guilt or vice versa with non pats fans saying the opposite, none of us truly know if Brady is responsible or not, hopefully we will get a clearer picture one way or the other in the upcoming months.  

If your position is that Brady needed to counter the Wells Report for public sentiment then I understand where you are coming from, although frankly that was essentially handled by his agent imo.

If your position is that Brady needed to counter the Wells Report to effect the substantive ruling in his case with the NFL then I can not agreed with you as that will be handled in due time with the appeals.  

it seems that we are essentially in agreement but just differ on a few minor things.

Yes, Yehoodi. I do think he needed to counter the Wells report for public sentiment. In the eyes of many, by staying silent, it just doesn't look good for anyone in that position in the NFL. I understand that Yee is speaking for him. It's just that the perception of that doesn't win over the fans of the NFL or people who just come along and agree with the majority by proxy.

Spoken like a true blindfolded Patriot fan that you are. Yes, I do believe he is guilty. Yes, I do believe he is lying. So what? All you're doing is mincing words to fit an argument that's totally ambiguous at best.

And quit putting words into people's thoughts and posts. "So matter what you try to say about it, the truth is that the only thing that would satisfy you is if he admitted guilt."

You are soooo far from the truth. I would've respected him for doing so either way. If guilty, I would've been deeply saddened and very disappointed in him as a famous QB that represents the NFL from the aspect of recognizable role models.

I don't even understand what part of my post could have made you say 'spoken like a true blindfolded Patriots fan'...but ok.

Do you really not see the contradiction in your post? Literally in the same post you tried to say that had Brady said something, even if he denied it, you and the rest of the country would respect it...and then you said that people don't respect or forgive liars.

I'm just going to talk you through this one...just to make sure we both understand what you said. Had Brady made a statement, even if he again denied any involvement, you would have respected him for it and you believe the rest of the world may have forgiven him. But wait! If he denied it, then in your mind he would be lying, right? And since you believe he's guilty, then any statement proclaiming innocence would have been a lie. And the world doesn't forgive liars, right? So tell me...if you think he's guilty, then how the heck could he lying to you earn your respect? Your logic just doesn't make any sense!

I don't even understand what part of my post could have made you say 'spoken like a true blindfolded Patriots fan'...but ok.

Do you really not see the contradiction in your post? Literally in the same post you tried to say that had Brady said something, even if he denied it, you and the rest of the country would respect it...and then you said that people don't respect or forgive liars.

I'm just going to talk you through this one...just to make sure we both understand what you said. Had Brady made a statement, even if he again denied any involvement, you would have respected him for it and you believe the rest of the world may have forgiven him. But wait! If he denied it, then in your mind he would be lying, right? And since you believe he's guilty, then any statement proclaiming innocence would have been a lie. And the world doesn't forgive liars, right? So tell me...if you think he's guilty, then how the heck could he lying to you earn your respect? Your logic just doesn't make any sense!

Cherry picking words doesn't fly with me, dynasty13. The only logic that needs to make any sense is my own perception of. I've done that. You have not. By not including entire sentences or omitting what you feel is correct, therein "lies" your ambiguities. Disingenuous, at best. You and I will never agree when it comes to this subject of DeFlateGate. Let it "lie", dude, let it "lie".

You might want to read his post again....since when does "I" mean "the rest of the country?"

And you're right, most people would not believe him if he tried to proclaim his innocence....the evidence(texts, lack of cooperation) doesn't look good, and he plays for a team that has been fined and docked a draft pick in the past for an act that he benefitted from, and spare me the worn out excuses for spygate they don't hold any air, pun intended......once a cheater, always a cheater.

Yes, Yehoodi. I do think he needed to counter the Wells report for public sentiment. In the eyes of many, by staying silent, it just doesn't look good for anyone in that position in the NFL. I understand that Yee is speaking for him. It's just that the perception of that doesn't win over the fans of the NFL or people who just come along and agree with the majority by proxy.

Yes, ColtSense, I understand where you are coming from regarding the need to talk to satisfy the masses now, so I hear yah.   I do think though that long term folks will remember the results and his position/statements in the upcoming appeal/any court action.  

We will know soon enough in those actions Brady's position on the matter and whether Goodell and any court action will side with Brady's version of the facts, if there are indeed different than we already know or that is presently known to the league.   Three years from now my guess is that most folks will likely not worry too much if Brady's made his points in early May or mid August so long as his presents his points in his own defense and/or concedes anything that needs to be conceded.  We just have to wait and see.

No, like Brady and 4 games suspended.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but really, Brady has no one but blame but himself.

I hear yah.

At the same time lets see how things shake down in the upcoming weeks/months and whether anything, if at all, changes.

Yes, ColtSense, I understand where you are coming from regarding the need to talk to satisfy the masses now, so I hear yah.   I do think though that long term folks will remember the results and his position/statements in the upcoming appeal/any court action.  

We will know soon enough in those actions Brady's position on the matter and whether Goodell and any court action will side with Brady's version of the facts, if there are indeed different than we already know or that is presently known to the league.   Three years from now my guess is that most folks will likely not worry too much if Brady's made his points in early May or mid August so long as his presents his points in his own defense and/or concedes anything that needs to be conceded.  We just have to wait and see.

Thanks, Yehoodi. And, you are correct. We just have to wait and see. If Tom Brady can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he was not involved with this matter in any/way/shape or form, I'll stand up and admit I was wrong. Until that time may happen, I just have to rely upon reading the entire Wells Report as to my opinion of guilt. That's all I've got. That's all anyone has at this point.

Three years from now most people if not all will still be attaching asterisks nest to his tainted name and victories.

Maybe I just missed those posts, misunderstood them, or confused you with someone else.  Wouldn't have been the first time I've done that.  So I apologize for that, mis-characterizing your points, and the like.  And I agree that Kraft's conduct prior to the release of the Wells report was a big no-no as far as I'm concerned.  This is coming from the fanbase of the team who's owner made a big huge deal about "building the monster" when it signed Trent Richardson.  I hate when owners go too far when they are really emotional about something and basically promise something they don't know they can deliver or demand osmeone else do something when they don't have the leverage to do so.  I always hate having to defend something your owner does when you really can't.  The best you can say is, "I still support him, but damn him for making me have to support him for that."

No need to apologize...... I know you weren't messing with me....   I wouldn't expect you or anyone to know what I'm saying all the time...    it's a big website,  and no one can keep up with everything or everyone here....

I liked Kraft a lot before Deflategate.    That picture of him and Saturday during the '11 players/lockout/strike is my favorite moment of that mess.    Kraft helped bring the two sides together.

Kind of ironic to me because his heated rhetoric helped divide the Pats from the NFL and everyone else.   And when he called out Goodell and the NFL during Super Bowl and demanded an apology -- that was beyond shocking to me.    Big, big mistake.

I'm sure I'll get over it.....  but I'm much more jaded toward Kraft now....  

It'll be interesting to see how Kraft handles Brady's challenge....   what does he say/do to publicly support him (if anything?) 

Kraft's no dummy.   He knows what he's doing.....

You probably should add it to the long list of cheating the pats have been involved in. Its not rocket science but if you need to write it down go ahead

And you may want to write down that we have 4 rings.  I don't worry about our rings any more than I worry about any other teams that won titles or any more or less than I or others think about the Raiders, 49ers, Broncos, Steelers, etc.  But thanks for playing.

And you may want to write down that we have 4 rings.  I don't worry about our rings any more than I worry about any other teams that won titles or any more or less than I or others think about the Raiders, 49ers, Broncos, Steelers, etc.  But thanks for playing.

And you may want to write down that we have 4 rings*

all get a big fat*

I don't worry about our rings any more than I worry about any other teams that won titles or any more or less than I or others think about the Raiders, 49ers, Broncos, Steelers, etc.

What? If you are saying what I think I dont see any * next next to there rings.

But thanks for playing.  Your welcome its fun.

And you may want to write down that we have 4 rings*

all get a big fat*

I don't worry about our rings any more than I worry about any other teams that won titles or any more or less than I or others think about the Raiders, 49ers, Broncos, Steelers, etc.

What? If you are saying what I think I dont see any * next next to there rings.

But thanks for playing.  Your welcome its fun.

Bingo, the fact that you do not see any * next to their rings proves my point.  No one who is consistent will see the same with the pats.  Thanks for making my point.

The only people that will see *s are the ones that do not like those teams and the pats.  that is my point.  those that do not see *s next to those teams and do no hate the pats will not see *s for the pats either.

haters are just gonna hate man.  

In the end, this whole situation is so far down on the severity of past NFL scandals that I honestly can't believe what's become of it. In the same way that we can't really compare teams from different eras because it was 'a different time', this just seems like a bigger deal because it's taking place in the age of TMZ-like sports reporting and the 24/7 breaking news style of overemphasizing everything.

What if this type of overexposure to everything through the media....increased fan interaction through message boards, articles passed around to anyone and everyone, twitter allowing information to be consumed instantly...was around in past decades??? Could you imaging what would have come out about some of the best teams throughout the league's history? Thing's we never even knew about would have blown up to become national scandals too...it was just a different time then and I honestly can't believe how this has blown up and the response and vitriol from fans for something so pathetically insignificant is baffling. 

In the end, this whole situation is so far down on the severity of past NFL scandals that I honestly can't believe what's become of it. In the same way that we can't really compare teams from different eras because it was 'a different time', this just seems like a bigger deal because it's taking place in the age of TMZ-like sports reporting and the 24/7 breaking news style of overemphasizing everything.

What if this type of overexposure to everything through the media....increased fan interaction through message boards, articles passed around to anyone and everyone, twitter allowing information to be consumed instantly...was around in past decades??? Could you imaging what would have come out about some of the best teams throughout the league's history? Thing's we never even knew about would have blown up to become national scandals too...it was just a different time then and I honestly can't believe how this has blown up and the response and vitriol from fans for something so pathetically insignificant is baffling. 

You can't "honestly" understand that Colts fans have less than favorable feelings about the Pats and are more than cool with trashing your favored franchise for being (I'll be somewhat charitable here) accused of breaking rules?

If there's one component of all of this that's easy to understand, it's Colts fans (and AFCE teams fan bases) cracking hard on Brady/Pats.

You can't "honestly" understand that Colts fans have less than favorable feelings about the Pats and are more than cool with trashing your favored franchise for being (I'll be somewhat charitable here) accused of breaking rules?

If there's one component of all of this that's easy to understand, it's Colts fans (and AFCE teams fan bases) cracking hard on Brady/Pats.

I honestly can't understand the level it's gotten to. I totally understand how this is a big wet dream for everyone who has ever hated the Patriots...but this is hardly a national scandal and the level that it's blown up to is ludicrous. 

I honestly can't understand the level it's gotten to. I totally understand how this is a big wet dream for everyone who has ever hated the Patriots...but this is hardly a national scandal and the level that it's blown up to is ludicrous.

lol you make it seem like it's still all over the media and being talked about nonstop....maybe in Boston with all the *'s fans coming up with more and more deflection to defend the *'s and their 4 tarnished rings. The rest of the nation has already moved on, the *'s have once again been branded as cheaters and we are patiently waiting to see if tommy boy gets slapped in the hand or is forced to follow through with his well deserved suspension.

lol you make it seem like it's still all over the media and being talked about nonstop....maybe in Boston with all the *'s fans coming up with more and more deflection to defend the *'s and their 4 tarnished rings. The rest of the nation has already moved on, the *'s have once again been branded as cheaters and we are patiently waiting to see if tommy boy gets slapped in the hand or is forced to follow through with his well deserved suspension.

No it isn't being talked about anymore here...but I'm referring to the damage that was already done. No matter what happens in the appeal, people's minds are made up and that came as a direct result of how this was treated as some grand scandal. I think the way it blew up the way it did is because of the era we are in...it didn't used to be like this.

Bingo, the fact that you do not see any * next to their rings proves my point.  No one who is consistent will see the same with the pats.  Thanks for making my point.

The only people that will see *s are the ones that do not like those teams and the pats.  that is my point.  those that do not see *s next to those teams and do no hate the pats will not see *s for the pats either.

Yehoodi, I am not a hater of Pats. I have said in this forum many times how much I love Bill Belichick. He is my favorite by far.

However, its really hard to look at those rings with a clean record and I am not even playing the what ifs.

How do you see Lance Armstrong's 7 tour de france titles?.

Yehoodi, I am not a hater of Pats. I have said in this forum many times how much I love Bill Belichick. He is my favorite by far.

However, its really hard to look at those rings with a clean record and I am not even playing the what ifs.

Apples and oranges, Shane. Not only was he banned from the sport, but he was stripped of his medals and there is quite literally no record of his Tour wins.

People will view Brady and the Patriots however they want to going forward, and that's their right. Everyone has an opinion and it may stem from how they handled this situation or it might be from the act itself of playing with deflated footballs...whatever the reason is, everyone has one. But when you actually sit down and think about it, if anyone truly, truly thinks that what the team has accomplished and what Brady has accomplished is only because they played with a football that was .2 PSI below what is normal, well then there's nothing that anyone could ever say to make them think otherwise.

Brady has started for 13 seasons in New England...and he has never gone more than 2 seasons in a row without playing in the Superbowl. That statistic is absurd...and in the future when people look at this team in this era, they will be less concerned with an equipment violation and more concerned with what planet he was from.

Apples and oranges, Shane. Not only was he banned from the sport, but he was stripped of his medals and there is quite literally no record of his Tour wins.

People will view Brady and the Patriots however they want to going forward, and that's their right. Everyone has an opinion and it may stem from how they handled this situation or it might be from the act itself of playing with deflated footballs...whatever the reason is, everyone has one. But when you actually sit down and think about it, if anyone truly, truly thinks that what the team has accomplished and what Brady has accomplished is only because they played with a football that was .2 PSI below what is normal, well then there's nothing that anyone could ever say to make them think otherwise.

Brady has started for 13 seasons in New England...and he has never gone more than 2 seasons in a row without playing in the Superbowl. That statistic is absurd...and in the future when people look at this team in this era, they will be less concerned with an equipment violation and more concerned with what planet he was from.

No it isn't being talked about anymore here...but I'm referring to the damage that was already done. No matter what happens in the appeal, people's minds are made up and that came as a direct result of how this was treated as some grand scandal. I think the way it blew up the way it did is because of the era we are in...it didn't used to be like this.

No it comes as a direct result of the pats being know cheaters and getting caught again

You can not really compare what Armstrong did with what the Patriots supposedly did with the footballs or really any football team.  Biking is an individual sport and if that person is taking banned stuff he effects 100% of his team, so there is a direct correlation between his act and his entire "team" and the entirety of his competition as he is biking 100% of the game, where football has three phases.  Now had all of the pats starters and most of the back up took PEDs and they were all caught, then one could make a correlation, which btw, is what the Steelers did in the 70s, and btw, is why I mentioned them.  The Steelers are actually closer to your Armstrong analogy than the pats, just saying, and there is no * next to their rings. 

Personally, I can not get too worked up about what the pats did as I agree with Dynasty 13 sentiment on the matter, 0.2 psig, really folks are really that concerned.  And when we step back and look at things and our collective opinion on psig Jan. 1st 2015, nobody really cared.  Its not like the pats were caught taping a walk through, had a bug or camera in the colts locker room, openly messed with the headset, pumped in crowd and so on, things that have a history of folks complaining about and offenders getting fined.   Up until Jan 2015, a person effecting balls was at best a warnable offense, the Vikings game taught us that point

Indeed, all of this circus comes down to a few facts when we try to come to an assessment if the psig really means something.  First, in the 8 years Brady has played since the rule change in 2006 (well his entire career actually) there has never EVER been a complaint about the psig of the football, not one.  No ref, no opposing player ever complained about the inflation of the pats balls.  Which means it is really a non issue.  Had the inflation in question been an concern from a feel standpoint, somebody would of caught it.  Indeed, they were able to catch a practice ball back in 2004/5, so clearly the refs are well versed in knowing if a ball feels off and to such an extent that it would be noticed when it is handle some 70-100 times a game by the refs.  But yet silence from 2001-2014 regarding air inflation.  Which means either the pats did not anything at all or if there were balls outside of 12.5-13.5 range. it was not something that concerned the NFL, refs, players or teams, period.  And the cherry on top of this is the fact that Walt Anderson's gauges were off from each other by about 0.40 psig, which is 40% of the range, yah the inflation of football is a real concern for the sport.   If the NFL was so diligent that the tight range was important then the would not have a ref walking around with a gauge that is 40% off of that range.

So no I am not overly worked about the inflation of the football in the AFCCG.  If the pats did indeed let some air out of the balls (as opposed maybe Walt Anderson did not check them pregame) then based on the facts in the wells report, which gauge Anderson used and the effect of temperature on the balls, the decrease in inflation from 12.5 is not major of a deal for me.  So yes there may have been a violation, but not one that is a significant one in my book, especially when we have a violation of the same rule by the Vikings only a few weeks earlier.

No *'s because they did not cheat twice that we know off. What do you want everyone just to pretend that the pats did not have competitive advantages for years? I Just cant do it with all the facts that are out there.

He comes from planet Beli cheat

unless they were playing in steelers or packers uniforms, no they weren't

You must be right. I bet most fans forget what year their team played in the Superbowl... ... ...

2014: New England over Seattle

2013: Seattle over Denver

2012: Baltimore over San Fransisco

2011: NY Giants over New England

2010: Green Bay over Pittsburgh

2009: New Orleans over Indianapolis

2008: Pittsburgh over Arizona

2007: NY Giants over New England

2006: Indianapolis over Chicago

2005: Pittsburgh over Seattle

2004: New England over Philadelphia

2003: New England over Carolina

2002: Tampa Bay over Oakland

2001: New England over St. Louis

No *'s because they did not cheat twice that we know off. What do you want everyone just to pretend that the pats did not have competitive advantages for years? I Just cant do it with all the facts that are out there.

I don't want people to pretend anything. Call it whatever you want, I just want you to be consistent with the way you judge a team that had a 'competitive advantage'. I personally don't think it was as big a deal as it was made out to be as headline news and a national scandal.

Consistency is all I ask...for example...Jerry Rice is on record saying he used Stick-em when he played...which was against the rules and I guess comparable in terms of the type of advantage that would be gained (grip) through this kind of equipment violation. Do you put asterisks on the 49ers Superbowl Championships?

You do realize that during the Broncos SB run of the late 90s the Broncos were caught twice violating the salary cap.  But hey why look at the facts.  Twice ain't that important.

And speaking of facts of a similar rule violation we see you ignore the importance of how the NFL felt the penalty was for when they caught the Vikings violating the same rule, only a warning, but hey what do the facts know.

And speaking of those facts you are concerned about was the fact that no ever cared or complained about the inflation of the pats footballs in all the years Brady has played, which means, more probable than not, either the pats did not do anything or simply no one cared.   both of which debunk your competitive advantage argument.

unless they were playing in steelers or packers uniforms, no they weren't

Give it up jvan1973, you know D13 point was correct.  Unless you want to say the 2006 Colts lost in the first round to the Steelers.  

I don't want people to pretend anything. Call it whatever you want, I just want you to be consistent with the way you judge a team that had a 'competitive advantage'. I personally don't think it was as big a deal as it was made out to be as headline news and a national scandal.

Consistency is all I ask...for example...Jerry Rice is on record saying he used Stick-em when he played...which was against the rules and I guess comparable in terms of the type of advantage that would be gained (grip) through this kind of equipment violation. Do you put asterisks on the 49ers Superbowl Championships?

Well Did the rbs gain an advantage too, along with the qbs and anyone else that touched the ball? Did Jerry Rice fess up? If they cheated Then I have no problem putting an * on them But I doubt  they lose any sleep over my * My simple opinion is there is no room in professional sports for cheaters be it by the colts or pats or anyone else. If i thought my Idol peyton cheated I would be just as down on him as I am brady. I used to be a Sammy Sosa fan but after his deal I wouldnt go out of my way to stick up for him, He was a good ball player and did some good things but he cheated and after I got over my disappointment I was glad to see him leave the game. Again you will or will not come to terms with the facts and its a shame but on this board and in most of the worlds eyes be prepared to see alot of *************.

You must be right. I bet most fans forget what year their team played in the Superbowl... ... ...

2014: New England over Seattle

2013: Seattle over Denver

2012: Baltimore over San Fransisco

2011: NY Giants over New England

2010: Green Bay over Pittsburgh

2009: New Orleans over Indianapolis

2008: Pittsburgh over Arizona

2007: NY Giants over New England

2006: Indianapolis over Chicago

2005: Pittsburgh over Seattle

2004: New England over Philadelphia

2003: New England over Carolina

2002: Tampa Bay over Oakland

2001: New England over St. Louis

Im reading the above to be snarky and condescending. I thought for sure you said they never went more than 2 years absent from the SB with Brady. The poster says you're wrong and I agree with him. Unless we're all drinking that crazy water i NE.

From what you have above.. I'm not looking it up and am trusting you...

2008  Pitt vs AZ

2009 N.O vs Indy

2010  G.B vs Pitt

Is that not 3 years and is not 3>2 ?

Well Did the rbs gain an advantage too, along with the qbs and anyone else that touched the ball? Did Jerry Rice fess up? If they cheated Then I have no problem putting an * on them But I doubt  they lose any sleep over my * My simple opinion is there is no room in professional sports for cheaters be it by the colts or pats or anyone else. If i thought my Idol peyton cheated I would be just as down on him as I am brady. I used to be a Sammy Sosa fan but after his deal I wouldnt go out of my way to stick up for him, He was a good ball player and did some good things but he cheated and after I got over my disappointment I was glad to see him leave the game. Again you will or will not come to terms with the facts and its a shame but on this board and in most of the worlds eyes be prepared to see alot of *************.

And I understand that 100%. My intention was to show that minor things like this seem to happen day in and day out, whether we know about them or not...so I put this right up there with 'who the heck cares why is this such a big deal all of a sudden'. Again I want to reiterate that it doesn't excuse the Patriots or justify what they did in any way...I'm well aware of the sentiment of 'don't play the victim, ya'll got caught'...I'm just saying that if we all of a sudden want to get all high and mighty about some equipment violation to the extent that we feel the need to yell out 'CHEATERS!' or put asterisks on everything, well then we all better be prepared to 'de-legitimize' a LOT of accomplishments in this league. Like Yehoodi said, IF it was well known around the league that the Patriots did this, it doesn't exactly seem like anyone minded.