Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL/Patriots Deflategate compromise UPDATE: Pats will not appeal

NewColtsFan

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference is those other teams didn't lie and cover up what they were doing. They fessed up.

They were caught in the act, btw, and the fine (warning) was immediately imposed.

Oh btw when we fessed up with Spygate, how did that help us then?   We get docketed a 1st round pick whether we fess up or not.  

They were caught in the act, btw, and the fine (warning) was immediately imposed.

Oh btw when we fessed up with Spygate, how did that help us then?   We get docketed a 1st round pick whether we fess up or not.  

And then they got the 49ers first rounder and the evidence was destroyed. Really hardcore discipline there.

I'm torn.

On one hand, I respect Kraft for all his "good of the NFL outweighs the wishes of one team" talk. Sounds statesman-like.

On the other hand, I think his debunking attempt last week was weak and dishonest, especially coupled with the preemptive suspensions of the two stooges. 

And on the third hand, I feel like some kind of dirty political exchange has been made, and Brady's suspension will be reduced or even thrown out on appeal. Now I always felt like an appeal had a good chance of vacating Brady's suspension, but I didn't expect back room deal making like this. But the NFL is big business, and this is how it works. 

Also announced with this deal:

NFL changes compensatory pick rules passed with no appeal allowed from other teams.

When the NFL helps the Patriots win multiple SuperBowls they will get the first pick in the draft every year they do so due to the new compensatory pick Patriot rule!

haha

Seriously though......

Hopefully it will end soon. Whatever comes out of this hopefully it doesn't effect any other NFL teams in a bad way and the Patriots aren't told sorry.

I feel like some kind of dirty political exchange has been made, and Brady's suspension will be reduced or even thrown out on appeal. Now I always felt like an appeal had a good chance of vacating Brady's suspension, but I didn't expect back room deal making like this. But the NFL is big business, and this is how it works. 

This is how I feel. Goodell and Kraft are buddy buddy and the good ol' boy system is at work behind the scenes. 

What a joke. 

I'm torn.

On one hand, I respect Kraft for all his "good of the NFL outweighs the wishes of one team" talk. Sounds statesman-like.

On the other hand, I think his debunking attempt last week was weak and dishonest, especially coupled with the preemptive suspensions of the two stooges. 

And on the third hand, I feel like some kind of dirty political exchange has been made, and Brady's suspension will be reduced or even thrown out on appeal. Now I always felt like an appeal had a good chance of vacating Brady's suspension, but I didn't expect back room deal making like this. But the NFL is big business, and this is how it works.

I'll tell you this, Superman, if the NFL vacates and drops the suspension altogether there's going to be hell to pay by way of fan-opinionated fallout.

And then they got the 49ers first rounder and the evidence was destroyed. Really hardcore discipline there.

what?   We lost our 1st round draft pick in 2008.  We did not get the 49ers pick as a result of the ruling of Spygate, it was a trade we had made earlier, not sure where you are going here.

Does fess up mean telling the truth? Help you? When you do something wrong do you expect to be treated with kid gloves? Sorry Yehoodi, gamesmanship and integrity does mean something in most people eyes.

Does fess up mean telling the truth? Help you? When you do something wrong do you expect to be treated with kid gloves? Sorry Yehoodi, gamesmanship and integrity does mean something in most people eyes.

Wait a minute, you are the one claiming fessing up should reduce the penalty, not me. 

You claimed that Vikings and Minnesota fess up that is why they got a warning only. . .  its your words not mine.

This is great, at least they will get punished now in some way. I hate saying this, but props to Kraft for taking it like a man. I guess they could of appealed the draft picks after the suspension deadline as a separate issue, which is confusing. Glad they didn't though. Hopefully Brady keeps his 4 game suspension and now this is pretty much behind us. Anything that happens from here on out is entertainment and gravy! LOL.

I wrote a song about Deflategate yesterday, to the tune of The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel.

I just archived this. That is the absolute, without a doubt, _ B E S T _ post I've been privileged to see! Fantastic!

Thank you, esh318!

:)haha

lie la lie, lie la lie la la la la lie! Priceless!

Wait a minute, you are the one claiming fessing up should reduce the penalty, not me. 

You claimed that Vikings and Minnesota fess up that is why they got a warning only. . .  its your words not mine.

Yes fessing up would have reduced the penalties. Had Brady fessed up he would have took his token fine and all of this could have been avoided. Did the Vikings try to cover up what they did? The big hammer came down on the not cooperating, not the deflated footballs.

I'll tell you this, Superman, if the NFL vacates and drops the suspension altogether there's going to be hell to pay by way of fan-opinionated fallout.

And people will still flock to the NFL because the product is great. The league is Teflon. 

Yes fessing up would have reduced the penalties. Had Brady fessed up he would have took his token fine and all of this could have been avoided. Did the Vikings try to cover up what they did? The big hammer came down on the not cooperating, not the deflated footballs.

It's a false equivalency. The Vikings didn't have an equipment manager steal footballs from the officials locker room and let air out of them.

I had a feeling after Schefter was on Twitter and Facebook the last couple days he was softening up to ground for some new kind of decision . Catching the last part of Peter Kings interview with Mike and Mike this morning on ESPN radio mailed it home for me. Peter King was very calm andreserved in his tone and even mentioned that he did not feel like Robert Kraft was going to pursue this any further . So I had a feeling something was up. I only want to know if there's going to be any alteration to the punishments or everything goes as it stands .

what?   We lost our 1st round draft pick in 2008.  We did not get the 49ers pick as a result of the ruling of Spygate, it was a trade we had made earlier, not sure where you are going here.

Sure they lost their pick, but they got the 49ers pick via trade so they didn't lose much. Had the Niners pick been taken from the Patriots then you could complain. I don't feel like they were punished at all for Spygate.

I'm torn.

There are a lot more than u that are torn.

For what it is worth, "breaking news" here was that Kraft standing down has nothing to do with Brady's situation.  We see how things pan out.

I am not at all happy with Kraft standing down as I wanted him to fight this issue.  However, I do respect the fact that he did not want to break up the league and essentially sue his other owners, I think only Al Davis has done this in the past.  The NFL puts the owners in a tough situation, once one owner sues then what happens down the road with other owners.  If all owners don't sue then the league can maintain cohesiveness by knowing other owners will not sue. 

I was not happy with the fine imposed, but it is what it is.

Regarding Brady we will see how that things pans out.  Brady always had a fight regardless if the pats were still involved with their appeals.  Although the Wells report exonerated the pats, there are still accountable, imo, vicariously liable for actions of their employees not matter how low on the food chain.

For me Brady has always been another matter, all the Wells report found was that he was "generally aware" of the situation.  I think it is tough to suspend someone for this type of action.  Its one thing with the pats as its their employee, but Brady for me sits on a different footing.

It will be interesting to see what Brady does.  For me I hope it takes it the full nine yards and we can get fuller picture beyond the Wells Report.  time will tell.  

This has a wiff of wanting to move on before anything else is uncovered by appealing or taking it further. After that ridiculous statement last week attempting to 'explain' the texts etc it would have been the last thing the Pats would have needed if anything concrete came up showing it to be trash.