Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tannehill gets extension

Superman

It's $16m/year. The first three years are probably "guaranteed", and the guarantees are probably staggered. Not a lot of info out there about structure so far, but it seems reasonable. It sounds like the Dalton contract, with stronger guarantees.

It's interesting to me that his deal gets done before Cam Newton's, making him the first QB drafted in the first round under the new CBA to get an extension. I don't know if it's a precedent; Newton, Luck and Griffin have all been to the playoffs, and the rest of them, especially the 2011 class, are pretty bad (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden).

Will Miami have much $ to spend the next 6 years? 2 $100 million contracts seem to tie up a lot of money if my calculations are correct

well if you are looking at only the 100 million dollar aspect of the contacts, then I'm positive your calculations are incorrect.

Will Miami have much $ to spend the next 6 years? 2 $100 million contracts seem to tie up a lot of money if my calculations are correct

Suh's contract is $19m/year. Tannehill's is $16m/year. That's less than 25% of this year's cap, not mention when the cap goes up in future years. 

They have a lot of money committed, but most of it is non-guaranteed. They'll have to make some adjustments next year.

well if you are looking at only the 100 million dollar aspect of the contacts, then I'm positive your calculations are incorrect.

I guess I wasn't looking at the guaranteed money aspect.  I guess what I am saying is, that's an awful lot of money to have tied up for just two players especially one that's mediocre at best.

I'm sure Seattle would love to give him what the Dolphins are giving Tannehill. He probably wants 20-30% more.

Yeah, possibly. 96 mil 45 guaranteed is still a lot of dough though, if they offered Russell this much before the Tannehill deal I'm not too sure he'd turn it down.

If I was ranking the QB's by tiers

Tier 1-

Rodger, Brady, Luck, P Manning, Brees

Tier 2-

Ryan,  Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger

Tier 3-

Tannehill, Wilson, Flacco, E Manning, Cutler, Stafford, Newton, Kaepernick, Dalton (I think he goes back up to tier 2 with all his weapons returning this year) Foles, Carson Palmer

Tier 4

A Smith, Bradford(If he ever stayed healthy he would be higher, Probably tier 3, maybe potential to reach tier 2), Griffin, Bridgewater, Derek Carr. Winston,

Tier 5-Geno Smith, Manziel, Hoyer, Bortles, Mariota, Manuel

Yeah, possibly. 96 mil 45 guaranteed is still a lot of dough though, if they offered Russell this much before the Tannehill deal I'm not too sure he'd turn it down.

I don't know anything, but I'm pretty confident that Wilson's market and asking price is higher than $16m/year. That's Dalton money. Flacco got $20m. Kap got $19m. It's arguable, but I'd put Wilson above both of them without blinking. If I feel that way, how do you think his agents feel? If this kind of offer would be acceptable to Wilson, I think his deal would be done already.

Yeah, possibly. 96 mil 45 guaranteed is still a lot of dough though, if they offered Russell this much before the Tannehill deal I'm not too sure he'd turn it down.

Wilson is a much better player tha tannenhill is right now. Wilsons agent will use that as a starting point. I think Ryan will have a solid NFL career though

I don't know anything, but I'm pretty confident that Wilson's market and asking price is higher than $16m/year. That's Dalton money. Flacco got $20m. Kap got $19m. It's arguable, but I'd put Wilson above both of them without blinking. If I feel that way, how do you think his agents feel? If this kind of offer would be acceptable to Wilson, I think his deal would be done already.

Yeah one could argue that Wilson should be paid more then Kaep and Dalton of course, given his team is always in the mix and he's already got Seattle a trophy in his short time there. I still think he would have more leverage had he gotten that second ring this past February though.

Wilson is a much better player tha tannenhill is right now. Wilsons agent will use that as a starting point. I think Ryan will have a solid NFL career though

Yeah, this deal happening is a good thing for Wilson. I agree with you about Tannehill too, the Dolphins should be in Super Bowl contention sooner rather then later.

You cannot look at Dalton's or Kap's contract and say they are getting this each year. They will if they are still there, but both are incredibly team friendly, and if Dalton does not win next year, they could let him go without hardly taking a hit. Kap also has a very team friendly structure, and if he continues to descend, they could release him with minimal damage.

Tannehill's contract is a fair contract, but if you look at the numbers with him and Suh, boy is it going to be tough. Suh's cap hit this year is only 6.1M. They had to structure it that way to get more talent in.

Next year in 2016, Suh's cap hit is 28.6M and Tannehills is 16.15M. The Cap will probably move up next year to around 150 M, so together, the cap hit next year is 44.75M for two people, or 30% of their cap. I don't care how good Suh is, you cannot have two people take up that much of your cap space. If you go a little further, Albert, Pouncey, Wake and Grimes make up for another 40M of cap space in 2016. So 6 people on the team for the 2016 season make up 56% of the cap space. They are going to have to do some major restructures on contracts, and in the years to come, it will really hurt them as

they pro rate signing bonuses, and restructure.

I believe Suh's signing will come back to haunt them! The Tannehill signing on the other hand is a great deal!

Wilson is going to get at least 22M a year I believe, and wants the highest guarantee any QB has had. He fully plans to play out the rookie contract if Seattle does not give him what he wants, and after this year, he will be happy to play on the franchise tag for two years and then be a FA. He is going to get paid! That is the reason I wish we would sign Luck now, along with TY. The price is only going to go up!

I guess I wasn't looking at the guaranteed money aspect.  I guess what I am saying is, that's an awful lot of money to have tied up for just two players especially one that's mediocre at best.

Tannehill has quietly gotten better every year he's been in the NFL.  He played very well last year despite a very poor offensive line.

Tannehill 4045 yds, 66.4%, 27 TDs, 12 INTs

Wilson     3475 yds, 63.1%, 20 TDs, 7 INTs

Flacco     3986 yds, 62.1%, 27 TDs, 12 INTs

That's the going rate for mediocre starting quarterbacks.  

And putting mediocre and starting next to quarterbacks is really a contradiction in terms because one has to remember that Matt Cassel and Ryan Fitzpatrick are one of the top 32 quarterbacks in the league.  

Franchise QB's are expensive.  

If I was ranking the QB's by tiers

Tier 1-

Rodger, Brady, Luck, P Manning, Brees

Tier 2-

Ryan,  Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger

Tier 3-

Tannehill, Wilson, Flacco, E Manning, Cutler, Stafford, Newton, Kaepernick, Dalton (I think he goes back up to tier 2 with all his weapons returning this year) Foles, Carson Palmer

Tier 4

A Smith, Bradford(If he ever stayed healthy he would be higher, Probably tier 3, maybe potential to reach tier 2), Griffin, Bridgewater, Derek Carr. Winston,

Tier 5-Geno Smith, Manziel, Hoyer, Bortles, Mariota, Manuel

Putting Manziel in tier 5 is being really really freindly.  Same with Geno Smith and Manuel.  To put it simply the guys arn't starter level quality players.  Matt Cassel and Ryan Fitzpatrick are better then they are.  

Putting Manziel in tier 5 is being really really freindly.  Same with Geno Smith and Manuel.  To put it simply the guys arn't starter level quality players.  Matt Cassel and Ryan Fitzpatrick are better then they are.  

Cassel and Fitz would probably make Tier 4 but I don't think either are starting

Tannehill has quietly gotten better every year he's been in the NFL.  He played very well last year despite a very poor offensive line.

Tannehill 4045 yds, 66.4%, 27 TDs, 12 INTs

Wilson     3475 yds, 63.1%, 20 TDs, 7 INTs

Flacco     3986 yds, 62.1%, 27 TDs, 12 INTs

His numbers are good but wins are better.  Last time I checked Flacco and Wilson win 10+ games almost every year.  Tannehill has never even made the playoffs.  Maybe it's because he's never had much of a team but he does now in my opinion so I guess we'll see.  I don't see him as a year to year pro bowl quarterback but maybe I am wrong.

Cassel and Fitz would probably make Tier 4 but I don't think either are starting

Given that their competition is EJ Manuel and Geno Smith they will probably be competing for a starting job and if not be starting by the end of the season.

You don't bring in Cassel or Fitz if you are happy with your current starter.  

I'm not sure what to call them.  They arn't career backups, because teams bring them in to eventually start them.  I guess you could say journeyman QB's.  They come onto a team that has no good QB's play for a year or 2 while the team looks for it's next guy to try and make into a franchise QB.  

These guys arn't your ordinary career backups that you bring in just to fill in your depth chart and hope they never have to play.  

Anyways I would do it like this, I'm not considering injury bug, just current play from last year.  Acknowledging that a guy, especially a young guy can move up and an old guy can move down.  Example, Bridgewater may move up next year while P Manning might move down. 

Rookies I'm not considering.

Tier 1-

Rodger, Brady, P Manning, Brees

Tier 2-

Luck, Ryan,  Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Stafford

Tier 3-

Tannehill, Wilson, Flacco, E Manning, Cutler, A Smith, Newton, Dalton, Foles, Palmer, Bradford

Tier 4

Kaepernick, Bridgewater, Derek Carr. 

Tier 5- Cassel, Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Bortles, 

And I'm not sure Hoyer or Bortles deserve to be on the list.  Giving them benefit of the doubt here.

As a homer I wanted to put Luck in Tier 1, but I just don't think he's there yet.  I think he has to prove himself for at least one more year.  He's put up only one season with the statistics befitting a Tier 1 QB.  But a lot of the guys on Tier 2 you can find a couple of seasons here and there befitting a tier 1 QB.  But what you don't see is the consistency in that.  So Luck's moved himself up to tier 2 after just 3 years which is great, but in order to join tier 1 I think he has to show that he can put up those numbers consistently. 

Given that their competition is EJ Manuel and Geno Smith they will probably be competing for a starting job and if not be starting by the end of the season.

You don't bring in Cassel or Fitz if you are happy with your current starter.  

I'm not sure what to call them.  They arn't career backups, because teams bring them in to eventually start them.  I guess you could say journeyman QB's.  They come onto a team that has no good QB's play for a year or 2 while the team looks for it's next guy to try and make into a franchise QB.  

These guys arn't your ordinary career backups that you bring in just to fill in your depth chart and hope they never have to play.  

Ah that's right, Cassel did land in Buffalo and Fitz in Jets.....Well they will be playing at some point then probably

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493141/article/miami-dolphins-sign-ryan-tannehill-to-big-extension

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/ryan-tannehill-gets-21-5-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/

New contract reporting cracks me up. They're now calling this $77m in new money for four years, and reporting his average as $19.25m/year. But that's not including 2016, which was already covered by the $16m fifth year option. But that's technically "new money", as the option was just triggered before the draft. If we add 2016, we're looking at $18.6m/year over five years, which is a more reasonable way to report this deal, IMO.

It's hard to predict the exact structure, but I get the feeling they reshaped the 2016 salary and converted some of it into a signing bonus that he gets in 2015, which makes the "new money" reporting even more disingenous. Or maybe part of it is an option/roster bonus due in 2016. More details to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Details, based on Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-tannehill/

This contract is very team friendly, practically no long-term risk if Tannehill doesn't continue to perform / get better. Only his agents would call this four years, $77m. It's six years, $97m, all told. 

Signing bonus of $11.5m + 2015 base salary of $660K and 2016 base salary of $9.34m fully guaranteed at signing. Actual guaranteed money at signing is $21.5m, not $45m. As a matter of fact, the Dolphins can opt out after 2016, and they'll have a cap penalty of $6.9m (already paid money that hasn't hit the cap yet). An additional $2m is guaranteed for injury, so if Tannehill gets hurt prior to 2017 and can't play, the Dolphins will pay him a total of $23.5m over two seasons ($11.75m/year).

In 2017, his salaries and cap hits go through the roof, averaging just over $20m/year for the final four years of his contract. (I get the feeling that, by 2017, $20m/year for QBs will be the new $16m/year.) His salaries for 2017 and 2018 are guaranteed as of the fifth day of each respective league year. 

So here's what they've done: They give him a big bonus this season, got rid of the $16.155m fifth year option, and will pay him $21.5m over two years, instead of $18.272m. Yeah, he got a raise of about $3m over the next two seasons, fully guaranteed. After those two years, they can walk away. If not, he starts making top five QB money. If he plays this contract out, he'll be a free agent in the first year of the new CBA.

Cap hits

• 2015 -- $4.873m
  • 2016 -- $11.64m
  • 2017 -- $20.3m
  • 2018 -- $19.8m 
  • 2019 -- $21.05m
  • 2020 -- $19.522m
  • 2021 -- free agent