Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A story you may find interesting about Colts S Dwight Lowery.

horseshoeblue22

Years ago, I used to lurk/post on the GameFAQs NFL board. Another poster created the topic of "Do you think NFL players read message boards?"

Most of the replies were "No", "Not a chance", and "Why would an NFL player sign up for the NFL board on GameFAQs.com, of all places?".

Eventually there was a poster that said "Yeah...me."

Another poster ridiculed him, saying something along the lines of "Y helo thar, Peyton Manning!"

And then the guy claimed to be Dwight Lowery, a rookie 4th round pick for the New York Jets.

Nobody believed him for a while, and "Is this guy really Dwight Lowery?" kind of took over the topic. People were going nuts, trying to prove him as Dwight, trying to disprove his story, etc. He posted a few pictures, that I can recall. Some members of the forum were convinced he was Lowery, why would he go to extreme lengths to lie about being an obscure rookie NFL player? Some members still had there doubts, because no NFL rookie is going to be browsing such an obscure NFL board.

After a while, it kind of took on a life of its own, and Dwight Lowery kind of became the Chuck Norris equivalent on the GameFAQs NFL board.

When the Colts signed Lowery this off-season, it immediately reminded me of this...and I thought "Sweet! The Colts just signed the greatest player of all time!!! haha!!" Not that this makes him any more talented, or a better player...just thought I would share this.

Do YOU think any NFL players, coaches, or scouting personnel ever frequent NFL message boards? I've heard of players frequenting sites like profootballtalk or scouts referencing profootballfocus and other advanced statistic websites, but I have never seen solid confirmation of a player/coach registered and posting on a message board.

Also, side note: Has anyone else here ever been to the GameFAQs NFL board? For those of you unaware, GameFAQs is a website that generally deals with video games, cheat codes and walk-throughs in beating games, etc...but also has several "special interest" boards that cover almost every topic, from the military, to Nascar to people seeking and offering advice.

NFL players are not supposed to post on NFL boards, but I know they do it.

I cannot divulge how I know, but I promise you that I know they do it. Most of them only read the boards without posting anything. The front office uses this board to gauge how the fans respond to things as well. We are the front office's thermometer. 

Colts writers use us all of the time. We do most of the work anymore. They ask the question that they see fans asking on fan message boards. 

Colts fans have basically become the writers, while the Colts writers have become the editors. 

I cannot divulge how I know, but I promise you that I know they do it. Most of them only read the boards without posting anything. The front office uses this board to gauge how the fans respond to things as well. We are the front office's thermometer.

I highly doubt the front office really cares what we have to say on here.  Whether we respond well or respond poorly to a decision isn't likely to factor into what they do.

With that said, Robert Mathis put out a tweet a little while ago that suggested he read the forums.  I can't find it now, but I remember it causing a lot of commotion on here haha

I highly doubt the front office really cares what we have to say on here.  Whether we respond well or respond poorly to a decision isn't likely to factor into what they do.

With that said, Robert Mathis put out a tweet a little while ago that suggested he read the forums.  I can't find it now, but I remember it causing a lot of commotion on here haha

I have been on these boards since 1996. Trust me. The players, front office, and media read these boards very often. 

I highly doubt the front office really cares what we have to say on here. Whether we respond well or respond poorly to a decision isn't likely to factor into what they do.

With that said, Robert Mathis put out a tweet a little while ago that suggested he read the forums. I can't find it now, but I remember it causing a lot of commotion on here haha

Wasn't it about us saying to hire harbaugh and fire pagano?

NFL players are not supposed to post on NFL boards, but I know they do it.

Wait, there is a rule that prevents NFL players from participating on message boards? Or what do you mean they're "not supposed to"?

Football players post and comment on facebook, twitter, etc. all the time. While a few of them get criticized for the stupid things they say, I don't remember anything ever suggesting that they cannot participate in social media or somehow not allowed to, and a NFL message board is an extension of social media.

Wait, there is a rule that prevents NFL players from participating on message boards? Or what do you mean they're "not supposed to"?

Football players post and comment on facebook, twitter, etc. all the time. While a few of them get criticized for the stupid things they say, I don't remember anything ever suggesting that they cannot participate in social media or somehow not allowed to, and a NFL message board is an extension of social media.

This board is supposed to be off limits to anyone who works directly or indirectly for the Indianapolis Colts.

Posting on Facebook or Twitter is a totally different fan interaction.

This board is supposed to be off limits to anyone who works directly or indirectly for the Indianapolis Colts.

Ah, so you are referring to this message board in particular, not message boards in general. That makes sense.

Of course!

Why would they not read this!?

If I had to take a guess they read this forum just to be sure to do the opposite of what the forum members want!

Were both doing a good job!

"If you listen to the fans, you'll soon be sitting with them..."

Said by about every GM ever in the NFL

Is this a new rule ? I worked for the colts the year they won the SB there was never any mention from anyone about staying away from the message board or anything in our contract .

I remember, Robert Mathis put out a tweet of "disapproval" upon Colts fans on this board for calling certain players bad requesting for their release, etc- more specifically I'm pretty sure everyone was talking about Samson Satele and wanting him to be gone. After reading that, I believe Mathis tweeted.