Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell.....(Merge)

manning2dallas

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our execution of the basics let alone any creativity.... and even more troubling.... our effort and energy at certain points this season tell me that this coaching staff is in waaayyy over their heads.

I'm equally concerned with Bill Polian's perception as a puppet master and Chris Polian's as a conniver.... which I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to.

I say fire the entire staff along with Bill Polian and young Polian as well..... because Irsay's contention that he likes "continuity" held water with guys like Tony Dungy, Howard Mudd and Tom Moore on board.... but not THIS sorry lot.

I'd pursue Brian Billick.

If Peyton Manning returns healthy and set to go.... no one can convince me that he'd have any worse a shot at leading us back under someone like Billick than he would Caldwell and his staff.... or without the Polian's at the helm.

If Peyton does NOT return for whatever reason.... then my opinion multiplies even stronger.

Where was the Coaching abilities during that 0 and 13 period? Players turning it on perhaps for 3 reasons, and alot of those players may care less who will leave FA; 1)Team does not want a tougher style coach then Mr. Expression, 2) they simply do not want Luck to be drafted 1st, 3) Polian simply controls Caldwell

I believe Caldwell should be fired. His Colts teams have regressed over the past two seasons and it is time for a fresh start. In his defense, the Polians have taken a lot the power and authority normally reserved for the Head Coach thereby sometimes leaving Caldwell ineffectual as the team HC. However, the majority of Caldwell failures are the result of his own doing. Caldwell has failed the two most important responsibilities of a Head Coach – overall team management (game preparation, schemes, in-game changes, time management…etc.) and basic coaching – our defense remained the same for most of the year and was not adjusted to account for injures or lack of talent. Our offense was essentially the same as last year with Manning, even though he was out and new QBs with different talents were brought in to lead the offense. He kept Collins then Painter in far too long. It is time for a change and to bring in a whole new staff to try to return this team to glory.

I've thought about it a lot and honestly, what legitimate reasoning do we have to say that he should be fired? Because he's 2-13? Yeah, but without Peyton Manning. Look at the talent on this team. It really isn't that good. Our secondary is terrible. Gary Brackett has been out all year. We're still small on the D-line. Our defense is only decent when we have the lead, which we haven't had that a lot this year. And the offense revolves completely around Peyton Manning. I'm not sure what people expected out of the offense this year, but I expected exactly what we've seen. There are a lot of holes on this team that Peyton covered and without him they've been exposed.

Why isn't Polian's name being brought up? He should get just as much blame. He has drafted horribly the last 7-8 years. We haven't had a good first round pick since Dallas Clark. And aside from Angerer, who is our last good 2nd round pick?? Anyone remember? It was Bob Sanders in 04. For a team that builds through the draft, they sure have done a terrible job at it. And it has clearly put us in a hole. Nothing but aging talent on this team.

We can sit here and speculate that Caldwell doesn't know what he's doing based on how he looks on the sidelines, how he answers every question post game with cliche responses, etc. but at the end of the day what do we have to go off of? I don't know how anyone can blame him for the SB loss. He's not the one that threw a pick 6. I will concede that Caldwell's timeout last year was a terrible one, but you know what.. every coach has their moments. All I know is that I've yet to hear anyone talk bad about Caldwell except fans. Everyone on the 'inside' that talks about him praises him and says how good of a coach he is. Steve Mariucci on Thursday night said he's a great coach and shouldn't be fired. Bethea said the same thing. Clearly our players like him and play hard for him.

I've thought about it a lot and honestly, what legitimate reasoning do we have to say that he should be fired? Because he's 2-13? Yeah, but without Peyton Manning. Look at the talent on this team. It really isn't that good. Our secondary is terrible. Gary Brackett has been out all year. We're still small on the D-line. Our defense is only decent when we have the lead, which we haven't had that a lot this year. And the offense revolves completely around Peyton Manning. I'm not sure what people expected out of the offense this year, but I expected exactly what we've seen. There are a lot of holes on this team that Peyton covered and without him they've been exposed.

Why isn't Polian's name being brought up? He should get just as much blame. He has drafted horribly the last 7-8 years. We haven't had a good first round pick since Dallas Clark. And aside from Angerer, who is our last good 2nd round pick?? Anyone remember? It was Bob Sanders in 04. For a team that builds through the draft, they sure have done a terrible job at it. And it has clearly put us in a hole. Nothing but aging talent on this team.

We can sit here and speculate that Caldwell doesn't know what he's doing based on how he looks on the sidelines, how he answers every question post game with cliche responses, etc. but at the end of the day what do we have to go off of? I don't know how anyone can blame him for the SB loss. He's not the one that threw a pick 6. I will concede that Caldwell's timeout last year was a terrible one, but you know what.. every coach has their moments. All I know is that I've yet to hear anyone talk bad about Caldwell except fans. Everyone on the 'inside' that talks about him praises him and says how good of a coach he is. Steve Mariucci on Thursday night said he's a great coach and shouldn't be fired. Bethea said the same thing. Clearly our players like him and play hard for him.

He messed up in the QB department. Accountability is due. We wouldn't be 2-13 if that mess had been handled properly. This idea that Polian has drafted terribly over the last 7-8 years is a myth.

Our draft position, due to our record breaking regular season win streak, has hobbled our efforts to draft high. Consistently drafting among the last in each round. Perhaps one could argue that some trading up would have been prudent, but all-in-all, our drafts have graded out at above average.

We went into this season with Collins and Painter at QB. That is why we fail. That is why Caldwell fails.

I'd say we went 16-3 / 10-6 due to Manning, not Caldwell. As this year proves. I don't see him adding much to the Franchise, and would prefer a stronger defensively minded coach. It's time for a change, and Irsay should pick someone who will work WITH the Front Office, and not for them. Or get a new VP / GM as well.

worse than Lovie Smith?

They'd disagree in Chicago

Yes worse than Lovie Smith, considering there would be a much greater chance of Polian hiring Smith(if he were fired) as opposed to Chicago or anyone hiring Caldwell (if he were fired)

worse than Rex....really?

Yes, worse than Rex. Exponentially worse than Rex.. Are you even halfway serious with that?

He was 26-63 as a head coach for eight years at wake forest. He shouldn't even be an NFL head coach. But he was given an opportunity, 3 years, to prove himself, which I'm ok with. In my opinion I don't think he has. He had to be extraordinary. He was ordinary at best.

I definitely give him props on the wins....Especially the win over Houston....I just want to see more out of him, and have been frustrated by his pedestrian attitude this season

He barely beat the Texans despite the Texans missing their starting HoF caliber WR (Andre Johnson) and missing their 1st and 2nd string QB's. Meanwhile, their 3rd string QB was a rookie coming off a lockout who barely has any NFL professional experience. Furthermore, we were playing at Indy and the refs loved us. Despite all those stars in alignment, we barely won.

The only thing Caldwell did right was have the guts to admit Painter was a mistake and start Orlovsky, which is what we should have done a long time ago!

He barely beat the Texans despite the Texans missing their starting HoF caliber WR (Andre Johnson) and missing their 1st and 2nd string QB's. Meanwhile, their 3rd string QB was a rookie coming off a lockout who barely has any NFL professional experience. Furthermore, we were playing at Indy and the refs loved us. Despite all those stars in alignment, we barely won.

The only thing Caldwell did right was have the guts to admit Painter was a mistake and start Orlovsky, which is what we should have done a long time ago!

I think some of you are missing the point. Winning a few games, even if we won them by a landslide, even if it was against teams without ready excuses for their failure against us, is purely inconsequential in regard to Caldwell's status as HC.

Caldwell's fate was sealed when he flopped on the QB decisions and drove us straight into a wall @ 0-13.

It's great that we're winning, but thats on the players. Some of those guys got heart.

Virtually every Caldwell backer will say Gruden won his Super Bowl in Tampa with a Dungy built team, but can't seem to admit Caldwell's Super Bowl appearance was for the same reason. He seemingly has no ability to gameplan, make adjustments, and his end game timeouts suggest he's either shaving points or rooting for the opponent. While I'd prefer more of a "rah rah" coach, I don't care that much and it's not why I'm against Caldwell. In his 3 years, I've just never seen a single thing that I could give him credit for. We always seem outcoached and have overcome it because of Manning. Without the safety blanket of Peyton Manning, what has he ever achieved as a coach? Sadly I think we'll keep him now because we avoided the embarrassment of 0-16, and if we keep Polian, he needs a yes man as a coach rather than someone with a backbone

First off, I didn't want him hired in the first place. He was given a chance because he is Dungy's friend. My preference was Jim Harbaugh but I knew that wouldn't happen because Polian threw Harbaugh out of here when he took over. Second, I don't like what has been happening with the staff over the last couple of years. Huey let go, Moore and Mudd retire only to show up on the Jets and Eagles. Third, Caldwell isn't going anywhere since he has "won" a game as long as Polian is in charge. He has a perfect perfect puppet and now Polian can claim were winning because of the adjustments we have made during the course of the season so there is no reason to can the coach. He in as much said in an interview that if the team went 0-16 there was probably no way to keep the coach.

I paid 300+ dollars for NFL ticket this year. Have done this for the last 10 years. All this to only see them fail on regular TV almost every year. Yes , almost covers 9 out of 10 years. Getting past one and done 3 out of 10 has been hard. If they retain Caldwell and do something stupid draft day, or just do nothing, then I will stop buying the package. Getting old enough to realize this game simply is not that important in the scheme of things. I can always catch them up the coast in Jacksonville once a year. 50 bucks, a couple of beers and they loose, whatever!

First off, I didn't want him hired in the first place. He was given a chance because he is Dungy's friend. My preference was Jim Harbaugh but I knew that wouldn't happen because Polian threw Harbaugh out of here when he took over. Second, I don't like what has been happening with the staff over the last couple of years. Huey let go, Moore and Mudd retire only to show up on the Jets and Eagles. Third, Caldwell isn't going anywhere since he has "won" a game as long as Polian is in charge. He has a perfect perfect puppet and now Polian can claim were winning because of the adjustments we have made during the course of the season so there is no reason to can the coach. He in as much said in an interview that if the team went 0-16 there was probably no way to keep the coach.

First of all Jim Irsay has a say in this matter because he is still the owner and writes the paychecks the last I knew. So it won't be completely up to anyone else in the FO. JMO of course.

I paid 300+ dollars for NFL ticket this year. Have done this for the last 10 years. All this to only see them fail on regular TV almost every year. Yes , almost covers 9 out of 10 years. Getting past one and done 3 out of 10 has been hard. If they retain Caldwell and do something stupid draft day, or just do nothing, then I will stop buying the package. Getting old enough to realize this game simply is not that important in the scheme of things. I can always catch them up the coast in Jacksonville once a year. 50 bucks, a couple of beers and they loose, whatever!

I up graded hd in bed rooms talked them in to giving ticket for free this year thank god i didnt pay!

All what I'm saying is that if youre going to blame Caldwell for the losses then you have to praise him for the wins. Just trying to be objective in assessing our HC situation.

Ok ill give him credit for those 2 wins. congrats Jim for getting 2 wins...ok now that, thats over lets talk about the 13 other games...yea i come to the same conclusion. Theres the Door Mr. Caldwell

Then someone needs to wake him up and let him know whats going on.

He knows a lot more than you think or you give him credit for knowing. I would rather have Fisher but I'm not writing the checks so I or no one here has a say in the matter. I guess time will tell.

He knows a lot more than you think or you give him credit for knowing. I would rather have Fisher but I'm not writing the checks so I or no one here has a say in the matter. I guess time will tell.

I hope he knows more than he has shown this season. I'd rather have Fisher too, but it just seems the front office is asleep at the wheel.

I've thought about it a lot and honestly, what legitimate reasoning do we have to say that he should be fired? Because he's 2-13? Yeah, but without Peyton Manning.

Yea Buts are not acceptable in the NFL. Your supposed to win no matter the circumstances. Doesnt matter if your best player goes down.

Plus its not just that Peyton went down, but that they threw Collins, Painter and Danny O into the offense assuming they could run Peyton's offense. If you lose a player like Manning, you simplify the offense, become run first and use your QBs as game managers. You do not expect them to play like Manning. Lack of coaching was a major reason to the 13 straight losses. Just as much so as Peyton going down.

I can't tell you how many times I heard my fellow season ticket holders screaming, "Orlovsky! We have another quarterback!" This went on for WEEKS! When the fans realize a change needs to be made before the coach it's pretty sad. Painter was given a chance & Caldwell's lack of action was inexcusable!

The use of the time outs in the last half of the Texans game was ridiculous! Give me a valid reason that he used them that way & I might excuse him. We should have had some left for the last drive. We won, but we should have had some insurance to help stop the clock besides the 2:00 warning! Plus, don't get me started on the time out mess during the Jets game during the playoffs!

I just find his lack of adjustments in the offense & defense this year & the losses with the talent we had, and we DO have talent, to be enough to merit his firing. Along with the other points I made above!

Do I think he is a nice guy? Yes. But, it takes more than being nice to be a head coach!

They made a good point when háve u ever seen Caldwell say something on the sidelines. Not just yelling or screaming but anything at all.

Ah, often actually. No more or less than any other coach. Those looking for more "fire" should realize that if your team won't perform without being yelled at or intimidated or encouraged as they are standing on the sidelines, then you already have a serious problem. The vast majority of the coaching is done out of our line of site.