Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gosder Cherilus

RockThatBlue

The more ideal scenario in that situation to me would be to move Herremans or Reitz out to tackle with Mewhort and Thomas at the guards I think.

I think Mewhort has a chance to be the Colts long-term RT, Herremans and Reitz do not but are both good guards.

I think Mewhort has a chance to be the Colts long-term RT, Herremans and Reitz do not but are both good guards.

I agree. If Thomas is good to go and still on the team, he'd probably start at LG, Herremans at RG.  RT could be Mewhort.  If Thomas isn't healthy, I see Mewhort at LG and Reitz or John at RT (assuming Cherilus is either gone or cannot start).  

I don't think the Colts have any intention of playing Mewhort as a full time tackle.     That's why you have Ulrich John and maybe someone like Denzelle Good.  Plus whoever they pull from the draft next year. The only reason they had him there last year was due to injuries.  I think they see tackle for him in case of emergency, but it's clear to me that Guard is what they see him as.  Of course I do not have a crystal ball...

I don't think the Colts have any intention of playing Mewhort as a full time tackle. That's why you have Ulrich John and maybe someone like Denzelle Good. Plus whoever they pull from the draft next year. The only reason they had him there last year was due to injuries. I think they see tackle for him in case of emergency, but it's clear to me that Guard is what they see him as. Of course I do not have a crystal ball...

Good and John are project guys, they're borderline irrelevant at this time. Every team brings in guys like them every year. If Mewhort is the best option at RT you better believe he'll be playing there. And the guard position has a ton of solid depth at the moment, tackle does not.

Good and John are project guys, they're borderline irrelevant at this time. Every team brings in guys like them every year. If Mewhort is the best option at RT you better believe he'll be playing there. And the guard position has a ton of solid depth at the moment that tackle does not.

What is telling you that Mewhort is anybodies best option at tackle? Mewhort projected his own self as a guard coming out of college.  He's been a guard the whole time.   The guy got one look there and then you project him as the starter for the future based on what?

What is telling you that Mewhort is anybodies best option at tackle? Mewhort projected his own self as a guard coming out of college. He's been a guard the whole time. The guy got one look there and then you project him as the starter for the future based on what?

Source on the bolded? I'm not sure he will be the future at RT, but I think he played great there as a rookie and with more time there and progession, I believe he could be. After Gosder the other options for RT have either never taken a snap in the NFL or are not very good there. If Gosder is gone for the year I feel Mewhort to RT and Thomas/Reitz to guard would be the best line.

Good and John are project guys, they're borderline irrelevant at this time. Every team brings in guys like them every year. If Mewhort is the best option at RT you better believe he'll be playing there. And the guard position has a ton of solid depth at the moment, tackle does not.

Even more reason to believe he won't be at tackle this season either.  We have at 2 people ahead of Mewhort with more experience at tackle than Mewhort.  If you're telling me emergency tackle or something like that I can buy that, but I think they drafted him to play guard.  His skill set is more suited for guard. 

Even more reason to believe he won't be at tackle this season either. We have at 2 people ahead of Mewhort with more experience at tackle than Mewhort. If you're telling me emergency tackle or something like that I can buy that, but I think they drafted him to play guard. His skill set is more suited for guard.

Reitz? Herremans? Both with more experience, both not very good tackles.

Source on the bolded? I'm not sure he will be the future at RT, but I think he played great there as a rookie and with more time there and progession, I believe he could be. After Gosder the other options for RT have either never taken a snap in the NFL or are not very good there. If Gosder is gone for the year I feel Mewhort to RT and Thomas/Reitz to guard would be the best line.

Yes I have a source.  It was on his initial commentary on Colts.com right after he was drafted.

I'm at work, but I'll find it when I have a moment.

Reitz worked out fine during the playoffs. What is is that is making you think Mewhort is better than either?

I thought I answered this same question before.

He's a young player who is progressing and he played very well at tackle when he was thrown in there as a rookie. Reitz was good vs. Broncos, I'll admit, but he was clearly the weak link, among weak links, vs. the Pats. Herremans and Reitz are much better guards than tackles and they're older guys, they're not going to progress much. My main point was more that I see the entire line being the strongest keeping Herremans at RG, tougher position than LG, and placing either Thomas or Reitz, both quality guards and both are better suited for LG than RG, at left guard after moving Mewhort to RT.

This line to me would no doubt have the highest ceiling for the Colts. Plus, Mewhort could develop into our future RT, which would be fantastic.

Yes I have a source. It was on his initial commentary on Colts.com right after he was drafted.

I'm at work, but I'll find it when I have a moment.

This looks like it:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Rookie-Mini-Camp-Day-1-Jack-Mewhort/45202391-98d3-4c23-a63c-140dee92961b

He said guard is easier than tackle, which I think goes without saying. He also said he's versatile, he wants to learn every position, and he wants to play where ever he can help.

Plus Thomas can play center in a pinch if needed.

I think that's where Thomas may get a real good look. With Herremans here, I don't see Thomas winning that battle, however with his flexibility to play center, that may be a position he could easily beat Holmes/Harrison out of. The OL isn't really in that bad of shape. Obviously they aren't that Cowboys line, but if the majority of them can stay healthy I think they can be very formidable, and formidable for this offense = very dangerous.

Plus Thomas can play center in a pinch if needed.

I think that's where Thomas may get a real good look. With Herremans here, I don't see Thomas winning that battle, however with his flexibility to play center, that may be a position he could easily beat Holmes/Harrison out of. The OL isn't really in that bad of shape. Obviously they aren't that Cowboys line, but if the majority of them can stay healthy I think they can be very formidable, and formidable for this offense = very dangerous.

I agree, I've been saying for awhile that Donald Thomas needs to get a good look at Center.