Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gosder Cherilus

RockThatBlue

Are there any updates at all about him? I've heard/seen nothing. Maybe its still early but we've had updates on Ballards and Mathis and their injuries, but I've seen nothing on Cherilus unless I've missed something. Any news at all about if he's coming along good?

He was pretty good his first year protecting luck but he was bad last year cause of his injury.

I think Grigson's comment is that he/we wouldn't know anything one way or the other until June at the earliest.....

I do not believe Grigson has said "Cherilus will be ready in June...."

Could he be one of those June 1 cuts? Not sure if we save much.

We have a lot of possibilities if he's not himself though. Herremans can play RT. Heenan, Thomas, Reitz, or Thornton one at RG. Mewhort at RT (Not my favorite idea btw, he needs to stay put at RG) Reitz at RT. Reitz looked good at RT in the playoffs, but up until that point he was really good at Guard and awful at RT. Remember the game against the Jags where Clemons was dominating him? A guy like John could step up as well. We're in way better shape than in years past. But lets hope Cherilus is healthy and is back to his old self. He was a really good pass protecting RT until last year when he was injured.

We have a lot of possibilities if he's not himself though. Herremans can play RT. Heenan, Thomas, Reitz, or Thornton one at RG. Mewhort at RT (Not my favorite idea btw, he needs to stay put at RG) Reitz at RT. Reitz looked good at RT in the playoffs, but up until that point he was really good at Guard and awful at RT. Remember the game against the Jags where Clemons was dominating him? A guy like John could step up as well. We're in way better shape than in years past. But lets hope Cherilus is healthy and is back to his old self. He was a really good pass protecting RT until last year when he was injured.

Mewhort is LG not RG

I think Grigson's comment is that he/we wouldn't know anything one way or the other until June at the earliest.....

I do not believe Grigson has said "Cherilus will be ready in June...."

Well put NCF. Grigs made more of a hypothetical/wishful thinking projection on Cherilus as opposed to a foregone conclusion. Thanks for the reminder. 

I think that June 1st date got moved up this year, like last week ? If so, they would have already cut him if they were moving on.

Per Rotowirkd

Colts RT Gosder Cherilus (knee) is expected to be ready for training camp.

Cherilus will likely miss all of OTAs recovering from a January knee scope. He struggled while playing through multiple injuries last season, but is being counted on to come back healthy. GM Ryan Grigson did little to upgrade the Colts offensive line in the draft, adding just OT Denzelle Good in the seventh round. May 6 - 7:02 PM

Source: colts.com

Per Rotowirkd

Colts RT Gosder Cherilus (knee) is expected to be ready for training camp.

Cherilus will likely miss all of OTAs recovering from a January knee scope. He struggled while playing through multiple injuries last season, but is being counted on to come back healthy. GM Ryan Grigson did little to upgrade the Colts offensive line in the draft, adding just OT Denzelle Good in the seventh round. May 6 - 7:02 PM

Source: colts.com

I think a healthy Gosder would be the teams best interest, I was just pointing out the change of cut date and if it was the plan to cut him at the time.

Well I think the team has to have a good pulse on how this knee issue is going to turn out knowing they didn't draft any high pick RT replacement for this year or pick up a higher level FA OT this offseason. Going into the season as just hopeful that Cherilous will come back is about equal to me hoping that lottery ticket I buy next resolves my credit issues going forward, it's not a smart idea. I have to at least believe they have gambled on having a higher probability that cherilous will come back and play at a high level again vs he may return but he likely will be limited.

I have faith that Cherilous will anchor the RT spot this year and be the solid player of 2013 not the crippled played in 2014.

I am more interested to know why Thomas is still on the team.

Because it doesn't cost them anything to give him a little while longer to heal-up and show what he can do.

He can be cut a week from now,  or a month from now.

But if he can make it all the way back (doubtful)  then it's good for the Colts....

And if not,  he'll soon be gone.....     in a short while,  we'll know about Thomas and Cherilus and Ballard,  etc....

Because it doesn't cost them anything to give him a little while longer to heal-up and show what he can do.

He can be cut a week from now,  or a month from now.

But if he can make it all the way back (doubtful)  then it's good for the Colts....

And if not,  he'll soon be gone.....     in a short while,  we'll know about Thomas and Cherilus and Ballard,  etc....

In the case of Thomas and Cherilus, if either of them gets hurt during workouts, they can't be cut without an injury settlement. If Thomas suffers another quad injury (or any injury) during Phase 3, before the staff gets a chance to see him do any football related activities, then the team is stuck paying him his full salary for 2015. And that's three years worth of salary and bonus, almost $11m, for a game and a half of football in 2013. They should have restructured his contract and converted his salary into per game bonuses before they even let him in the building. They still should, before their luck runs out.

Cherilus is a little different. While I don't like his injury situation either, he hasn't missed the last two seasons with the same injury. He had a couple of reportedly minor operations and has been rehabbing. I'm not even sure he's been with the team so far, or whether he's done any working out. Grigson's comments made it seem like Cherilus wouldn't be doing anything until June. If that's the case, then the risk of him getting hurt and the team being stuck paying him is less than it is with Thomas.

And then Ballard, his contract is much smaller than Cherilus or Thomas. If he gets hurt again and the team is stuck with him, it sucks (for him and for the team), but the cap ramifications aren't as serious.

Thomas seems like a bad roll of the dice to me like you said his contract should've been redone.

I think Cherilus makes it back and we get one more year out of him. He's only missed 3 regular season games since 2011. All 3 were last year.

Ballard unfortunately I think that achilles is going to do him in. I think if we keep 4 Varga is going to find away on the roster end of RB depth chart can play FB and special teams. I just get the feeling he finds a way.

I love Reitz, but he's a tad prone to getting hurt, and I don't want to put all our faith into him at RT.

Mewhort is great at LG. Don't move him. 

I think Herremans should be at RG.

Who knows how good or if Ulrick John can stay healthy at can even play well at RT.

Thomas is too injury prone to be a starter. I say keep him for quality depth.

I think Cherilus is our best bet at RT.

Hopefully this year is a good year for Cherilus since he has been good one year and bad the next basically his entire career....since we know how he played last year.  

I've moved on from him, expecting his departure soon as well as Ballard and a few others

Man, I wouldn't write him off.  I think that Gosder is Plan A, Reitz is Plan B, and Ulrich John is Plan C.

I think a healthy Gosder would be the teams best interest, I was just pointing out the change of cut date and if it was the plan to cut him at the time.

Nah, if they where going to cut Goster they would have signed another OT or drafted one highly.  

You don't go into the season with the plan of starting Reitz at RT.  I like Reitz but he's clearly a backup, especially at tackle.  

And we simply have no reason to believe that Ulrick John or Denzel Goode can be a solid starter at RT.  Some would mention Mewhort, but he's also an unknown, plus moving him to tackle would only open up a hole at guard.  

Gosder is plan A for now.  If he has another bad season then we'll likely look at replacing him.  

Nah, if they where going to cut Goster they would have signed another OT or drafted one highly.  

You don't go into the season with the plan of starting Reitz at RT.  I like Reitz but he's clearly a backup, especially at tackle.  

And we simply have no reason to believe that Ulrick John or Denzel Goode can be a solid starter at RT.  Some would mention Mewhort, but he's also an unknown, plus moving him to tackle would only open up a hole at guard.  

Gosder is plan A for now.  If he has another bad season then we'll likely look at replacing him.  

Herremans can play RT, Reitz is decent (better than a hobbled Gosder). There are a couple free agents still out there, also. I think they plan on keeping Gosder based on how they've handled it so far. But if he comes in in a few weeks and isn't where he needs to be, I'm sure there are some backup plans. Grigson was very noncommittal on Gosder when he was asked about him.

I'm curious to see what they do if Cherilus isn't ready to go.  Our depth at guard is better than last season so I wouldn't be too opposed to seeing how Mewhort does at RT, but as mentioned above I'd much rather keep him at LG for now.

Okay who's playing center??

I am more interested to know why Thomas is still on the team.

It couldn`t be more simple.

His salary isn`t guaranteed till he makes the 53 man roster.

He MAY be one of the better players for the roster in the end, and we never know what injuries may occur in pre-season.