Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Get The 2Nd Overall Pick, We Need Claiborne!

I'VE CHANGED MY MIND!!!

I realised that we need a nice corner like Peterson instead of extra help on our line. Defense wins championships. With a terrible O-line, PM still managed to put up good numbers. Since then, the Colts have added 3 lineman: Castonzo, Ijalana and Reitz. Two are going to be great (hopefully) and Reitz is a solid guy to have as a short term solution. The Colts can also spend a 2nd rounder on a solid guard in Decastro (if he's there) or another stud. That would help out our RG problem, becuase Diem is probably gone next year. Pollak is also a good backup, but I would like him to transition to center slowly as Jeff doesn't have too many years left. Point is, the O-line has gotten better since 2010 and PM can manage and still put up great numbers. Hits shouldn't be a big concern as the fusion should make him stronger and patients who got that surgery said that it made their neck "stronger" and they "don't even feel any pain, ever." After this terrible year and our terrible showing in the secondary, we need a good corner. Now to Clairborne.

This kid is a stud and reminds me a lot like Peterson. Peterson is getting a lot of attention as a punt returner, but it seems like no one is looking at his coverage and tackling skills. This kid has 60 tackles, a sack and 2 interceptions. Remember that he's a rookie. This is the kind of impact that the Colts are missing. He would make a great tandem with Jerraud Powers. The Colts will also have depth at CB as they have Lacey who's progressed greatly as the season went on, and they have Chris Rucker who seems to be a good young kid with a good amount of potential. They also have Kevin Thomas as a backup, or Terrence Johnson (whoever wins the preseason battle). Claiborne would get Antoine Bethea as a mentor to look up to and he would have Gary Brackett (if he stays) as a defensive leader (it would be Freeney if Brackett goes). Morris Clairborne has 6 interceptions in his junior year, 2 more than Peterson in his junior year, and 2 more than Joe Hadne in his junior year. Let's also look at the history of the first cornerback taken in the last 5 years and their rookie stats:

2011- Patrick Peterson - 60 tackles, 2 ints, 13 PDs 1 sack through 15 games

2010- Joe Haden - 64 tackles, 6 ints, 18 PDs

2009- Malcolm Jenkins - 55 tackles, 1 INT, 2 FF, 4 PD as a BACKUP

2008- Leodis McKelvin - 32 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 FF, 5 PDs as a BACKUP

2007- Darrele Revis - 87 tackles, 3 INTs, 17 PDs and we know how good he is

History shows us that the first guy is generally not a bust if he starts. Morris Claiborne would start and LSU has a great history of CBs. They have produced Corey Webster and Patrick Peterson who are currently starting in the NFL and have produced guys like Tory James and Ken Konz in the past. It's a good school. It's safe to say that you're getting the real deal out of this kid. Although, we don't know if he's going to end up like Revis, it's safe to say that you're getting something solid out of this kid and is the most NFL ready player besides Andrew Luck, who probably would be drafted if the Colts draft 2nd. The cornerback has been the Colts' biggest need this year and it doesn't help that Powers, Johnson and Thomas are or have been injured, and that they lost Justin Tryon, the 2nd best corner in the middle of the year due to his relationship with Jim Caldwell. The linebacking core is solid, the safeties are solid if Bullit is back, and the D-line is solid. This one little move can move our defense from the bottom, to about the middle of the pack, and with a rejuvenated running game and Peyton Manning as a quarterback, which equates to a top 5 offense, it could mean the 2006 season all over again, which is good! Claiborne is the 2nd best player on the board (if Luck is picked) and helps out our biggest need.

I change my mind as Claiborne is a great player who helps out a big need that could turn our defense into a good solid defense, one that is similar to the Falcons. If they get the 2nd overall, they have to take Claiborne.

i have a feeling we gonna draft blackmon, polian keep saying that we gonna restock play makers and speed? i would also like if we got number 2 pick to trade back to like number 7 thru 10 get and extra second or third if we gonna draft claborne even dre kirpatrick... my reason for him is that weour a zone team and he have the size and strengh at corner at 6"3' he also is a great tackler and would fit our current shceme...im not saying he is better the claborne who have revis potental just that he could also be an option..

in the second i would like to see us get the best deep theat that can run and have skills, but would like the top play maker at saftey if we all remember when this defense made a run it was behind the saftey play of bob and bethea , we our pretty competent at line backer if we bring back sims .. so we our really missing a play maker at wr and a play maker ss and cb ... it come down to who can impact a game more..wr, cb, ss,

i think if i look around the league wr have the greatest impact, the saftey then corner , guys like larry, andre, jackson..etc changes how team play u completely , while u cant hide from a saftey like ed... troy etc.. they make plays.. were at corner u can always throw away from them or run at them if there the type that cover good but dont tackle..... my point is if we draft a guy like blackmon the most explosive wr this year , he would complement our run game and we would see less men in box .. or if they do put more in box peyton would kills them over top.. my point is that peyton have not never had won of them go up and get it wide outs or a speedster since marvin left just my thoughts