Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some describe him as very smart - which might make all the difference in the world - so I'm not sure what to make of the reports about the play book being simplified for him. I guess that he's a possibility if the FO sees the potential. I've only seen one Baylor game, and I must say that he was pretty impressive, but that doesn't mean that I'd want him on the Colts.

I hate QBs like Vick. Years of silly talk about him revolutionizing the position - how? By playing it like a college QB? It does nothing for me, and QB is the only position where top end speed is completely meaningless.

And the OPs suggestion that he be used as a kick returner is beyond comprehension. Kick returner is where you put one dimensional talents who you consider to be disposable - not your brand new franchise QB! George Blanda also kicked field goals, I believe other QBs have punted. It means nothing - the game changes. It isn't happening in 2012 I promise you. Kordell Stewart wasn't drafted to be a franchise QB, he was a QB with speed that they figured they could use "somewhere", just like many QBs have been converted to DB in the past. I have no idea how he ended up at QB, but it wasn't pretty, and doesn't predict how the Colts will use the number two overall pick.

Polian seems so locked in Luck, he might trade our next 3 1's to St. Louis to get him...

A significant number of posters on this forum are pathologically obsessed with Luck, but I've not gotten that feeling from Polian. It was only recently that he felt comfortable enough to even mention the mans name, and even then it was preceded by disclaimers.

I still get frothy at the mouth thinking about what the Colts gave up for Eric Dickerson, Fredd Young, and Jeff George - utterly ridiculous trades each and every one. That was Irsay the GM, not Irsay the owner. I'm pretty confident that he's learned his lesson.

Hey, maybe they should keep the #2 overall pick and trade the NEXT three #1s for Luck - that way they could select both Luck AND Griffin. Then I'd know for sure that the 80s/90s were hear again, and I could go find another sport to follow.

I've heard some describe him as very smart - which might make all the difference in the world - so I'm not sure what to make of the reports about the play book being simplified for him. I guess that he's a possibility if the FO sees the potential.

And the OPs suggestion that he be used as a kick returner is beyond comprehension. Kick returner is where you put one dimensional talents who you consider to be disposable - not your brand new franchise QB! .

You can be the smartest person on earth and still struggle with a football playbook.

About returners being disposable. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I agree with u on a lot but not that.

You can be the smartest person on earth and still struggle with a football playbook.

About returners being disposable. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I agree with u on a lot but not that.

Well maybe it's just the Colts returners. :D

I wouldn't be against spending a second round pick on a Devin Hester like the Bears did if you are confident that they are going to positively influence ever game for years to come - but how do you predict that? Returners rely so much on speed, and then their legs have to endure horrific collisions on every play. It just seems to me that the odds of them avoiding knee surgery for more than 2-3 years are pretty slim. Remember being exited by Brad Pyatt a few years back? Perfect for the job - lighting in a bottle and didn't even cost a draft pick. That lasted about ten minutes. One tackle and it's all over. That's a problem if he was a second round draft pick.

I cringe every time they have Garcon return punts.

RGIII is a special player.

He is going for his masters degree.... No dog fights for this guy

He IS a smart guy

For those who want to compare him to Vick, RG completed nearly 75 percent of his passes

Vick completed less than 55 percent.

RG almost never throws a interception.

RG had a poor supporting cast with only one WR that is good, with no running game.

Vick is 6 foot, RG is 6 foot 2

I am still a believer that Luck is the better pick........BUT i wouldnt have a bit of problem with the Colts taking RG.

If The Colts management does keep Manning, RGIII will benefit.

RGIII is a special player.

He is going for his masters degree.... No dog fights for this guy

He IS a smart guy

For those who want to compare him to Vick, RG completed nearly 75 percent of his passes

Vick completed less than 55 percent.

RG almost never throws a interception.

RG had a poor supporting cast with only one WR that is good, with no running game.

Vick is 6 foot, RG is 6 foot 2

I am still a believer that Luck is the better pick........BUT i wouldnt have a bit of problem with the Colts taking RG.

If The Colts management does keep Manning, RGIII will benefit.

This man sees the light

Let's start with this: In the Colts system, you really can't draft a developing QB. You have to draft a QB that has proven to be a winner and has the tangibles and intangibles. Peyton Manning had that coming out of college. He was incredibly touted as a draft prospect. For those that say draft a QB in the later rounds to sit and learn behind Peyton makes no sense.

Remember Einstein's definition of insanity is to repeatedly do the same things yet expect a different result. It would be like drafting Sorgi, or Painter all over gain. So drafting guys that didn't excel in college but expecting them to produce at the NFL level is not the best way to go.

Let's understand what our offense is all about. It's about recognizing what the defense is doing on every snap, audible-ing to the play that would have the best possible result against that defensive scheme, and having the recognition and timing to make accurate completions in the face of a pass rush. This sounds more like Andrew Luck than RGIII. I would say that RGIII is a great athlete, however Andrew Luck is a better fit. If he's not available in this upcoming draft, it doesn't mean that RGIII would magically be a better fit for our system because he's the best available QB prospect.

Let's start with this: In the Colts system, you really can't draft a developing QB. You have to draft a QB that has proven to be a winner and has the tangibles and intangibles. Peyton Manning had that coming out of college. He was incredibly touted as a draft prospect. For those that say draft a QB in the later rounds to sit and learn behind Peyton makes no sense.

Remember Einstein's definition of insanity is to repeatedly do the same things yet expect a different result. It would be like drafting Sorgi, or Painter all over gain. So drafting guys that didn't excel in college but expecting them to produce at the NFL level is not the best way to go.

Let's understand what our offense is all about. It's about recognizing what the defense is doing on every snap, audible-ing to the play that would have the best possible result against that defensive scheme, and having the recognition and timing to make accurate completions in the face of a pass rush. This sounds more like Andrew Luck than RGIII. I would say that RGIII is a great athlete, however Andrew Luck is a better fit. If he's not available in this upcoming draft, it doesn't mean that RGIII would magically be a better fit for our system because he's the best available QB prospect.

I would like Luck first. I think he is that QB that can come in and learn on his own, and succeed.

But.....if the pick is gone... with RGIII, and Manning is healthy, it would be good for him to learn from

But........ I think the heavy odds are that the Colts are not going to give 28 million (which could be used to

fill the GAPING holes and rebuild this team through FA) to a soon to be 36 year old QB who MAY be at the

level he was at pre-surgury.

you may be setting a record for being wrong.

i saw unitas play, maybe that's young to you.

using what ONE qb did for one year almost 40 years ago and a gimmick qb as examples are ridiculous! walter payton was a qb????

a personal website profile??? now that's an unbiased view!

you don't draft qb projects with the 2nd pick in the draft!!!! teams that do this are perennial losing franchises!

Wrong? ..Nothing has occcured yet..

Cam Newton was as much of a project as RG3.and he was drafted 1st...so your logic does not hold...

If we dont get No.1 and we dont trade down...(and our management team suggest we wont)

would you take an O-lineman 2nd?....No. We drafted 2 linemen last year...

I would not take a WR 2nd...........we have plenty of WRs...

I would not take a DB 2nd....There's none that good..

If we're seriiously looking for a future QB...and Luck is gone..

RG3 is better than all of the rest long term....Sounds like you've made up your mind...

..but think creatively ....when we win Sunday....we wont get Andrew Luck...ever

And If we cant get Luck....dont crash the truck if we go with the best athlete in the draft...

..and yes...he can run back kicks and be a 'special package' QB for 4 years until peyton retires...

You know its bold thinking

What the heck are you talking about? How is Luck a proven winner? What has he won exactly?

Lets understand...I'm not (and no one else that I've heard is ) saying that I dont want Andrew Luck....if we draft No. 1

But if we draft No. 2...and we dont trade down...where are we?

..if we trade down.for Mid-round No. 1s .RG3 may still be available...

Our offense would change with him...but our offense changes after Manning retires awyway...

What the heck are you talking about? How is Luck a proven winner? What has he won exactly?

Let me explain this to you. Luck is a college football player. He plays for Stanford. He plays football, usually on Saturdays. He wins the games that he plays, all but one this year. Last year he won the Fed Ex Orange Bowl and has won numerous awards this year. He has won more games than RGIII.

Let me explain this to you. Luck is a college football player. He plays for Stanford. He plays football, usually on Saturdays. He wins the games that he plays, all but one this year. Last year he won the Fed Ex Orange Bowl and has won numerous awards this year. He has won more games than RGIII.

Get Wrecked.

Wrong? ..Nothing has occcured yet..

Cam Newton was as much of a project as RG3.and he was drafted 1st...so your logic does not hold...

If we dont get No.1 and we dont trade down...(and our management team suggest we wont)

would you take an O-lineman 2nd?....No. We drafted 2 linemen last year...

I would not take a WR 2nd...........we have plenty of WRs...

I would not take a DB 2nd....There's none that good..

If we're seriiously looking for a future QB...and Luck is gone..

RG3 is better than all of the rest long term....Sounds like you've made up your mind...

..but think creatively ....when we win Sunday....we wont get Andrew Luck...ever

And If we cant get Luck....dont crash the truck if we go with the best athlete in the draft...

..and yes...he can run back kicks and be a 'special package' QB for 4 years until peyton retires...

You know its bold thinking

We have plenty of WRs? you mean Collie and Blair White? because Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo are all free agents.

And as far as "No CB is that good"...Claiborne is the best CB to come out in a long time...may be a small reach to take him #2, but to me, it would be a reach to take RGIII anywhere in the first round.

We have plenty of WRs? you mean Collie and Blair White? because Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo are all free agents.

And as far as "No CB is that good"...Claiborne is the best CB to come out in a long time...may be a small reach to take him #2, but to me, it would be a reach to take RGIII anywhere in the first round.

.....If you would take Claiborne second..I would not argue with it...He fills an immediate need..''

Lets face it....we're going to resign Wayne or Garcon or both.

It doesnt matter whether its a reach. It matters whether the kid can play...RG3 would not play immediately but he would not be asked to..

...and you have to see the Michael Vick comparisons...what about him tells you he cant play QB in the NFL??

I am not saying that RGIII is a bad quarterback. I think he's a very dynamic QB with amazing athletic ability. The Colt's offense is based on recognition of the defense and timing. RGIII played in a spread system that required him to make completely different reads. It would be a very big transition for RGIII to learn the Colt's offense. It's possible that he could learn the offense, but having a QB with blazing speed throw the ball within 2 seconds of the snap really negates his speed. RGIII would be better served to play on a team that changes their offense to better suit his abilities. If the Colts change their offense to suit his needs, then the argument that he could learn behind Manning is moot. He would just learn about watching game film and preparation, and not the current offense. He would essentially be a rookie when he starts 3-4 years from now if we have to change our offense to suit him.

This is not a knock against him. Like I said, he is a good quarterback but maybe not the best option for the Colts.

I am not saying that RGIII is a bad quarterback. I think he's a very dynamic QB with amazing athletic ability. The Colt's offense is based on recognition of the defense and timing. RGIII played in a spread system that required him to make completely different reads. It would be a very big transition for RGIII to learn the Colt's offense. It's possible that he could learn the offense, but having a QB with blazing speed throw the ball within 2 seconds of the snap really negates his speed. RGIII would be better served to play on a team that changes their offense to better suit his abilities. If the Colts change their offense to suit his needs, then the argument that he could learn behind Manning is moot. He would just learn about watching game film and preparation, and not the current offense. He would essentially be a rookie when he starts 3-4 years from now if we have to change our offense to suit him.

This is not a knock against him. Like I said, he is a good quarterback but maybe not the best option for the Colts.

..dont say he couldnt learn from Manning because the offense was different.....Its the concept.....we will roll out more...we will incorporate the QB's mobility...

.....Griffin could learn how to adjust and read pro defenses and tricks at the line from Manning....

..and the experinece he would gain watching it done live would be invaluable...and Manning could design a hybrid attack for him

...again....His TD/INt ratio is very low .....He takes care of the ball. Watch him inthe bowl..

the more you watch him...the more you are converted

..dont say he couldnt learn from Manning because the offense was different.....Its the concept.....we will roll out more...we will incorporate the QB's mobility...

.....Griffin could learn how to adjust and read pro defenses and tricks at the line from Manning....

..and the experinece he would gain watching it done live would be invaluable...and Manning could design a hybrid attack for him

...again....His TD/INt ratio is very low .....He takes care of the ball. Watch him inthe bowl..

You make it sound like it's so easy. Sorgi, Painter, and Orlovsky have been learning behind Manning for years. It has not translated into good quarterback play. The QB position is very unique. Either you have "it" or you don't. It is clear that they don't.

As for RGIII, I honestly can't say whether he has "it" or not. You would have to agree with me that he comes out of a very different offensive system and that he would be considered more of a project. He has great potential and upside, however, would you be willing to gamble your first round pick for RGIII? This is where we may differ. I wouldn't.

Also, Manning would design a hybrid attack for RGIII? Because Manning is such a dual threat QB? Manning would take time out of practice and not focus on the upcoming game, and instead teach RGIII to run a spread attack? I don't see this happening.

You mentioned that we could incorporate more role outs, which may be an option, however, having the QB roll out also changes the timing of the play. Remember, we are an offense based on timing.

Luck can do all the of the same things while already having experience in a similar-ran system. Heck half of Stanfords passing plays seem like they involve Luck rolling out in some sort of fashion which is what the league is becoming more nowadays (see Texans and Packers).

.....If you would take Claiborne second..I would not argue with it...He fills an immediate need..''

Lets face it....we're going to resign Wayne or Garcon or both.

It doesnt matter whether its a reach. It matters whether the kid can play...RG3 would not play immediately but he would not be asked to..

...and you have to see the Michael Vick comparisons...what about him tells you he cant play QB in the NFL??

you contradict yourself so much that its hard to even follow what you're saying...

"lets face it, we will re-sign wayne or garcon or both"....how do you know this? It all depends on the market...wayne will want a big payday as this will likely be his last deal...and garcon will also want a big payday because this will be his first REAL contract, since he's been playing cheap on his rookie deal.

Then you say that it doesnt matter if we reach (for RGIII) as long as he can play....yet RGIII wouldnt play for several years....so why not "reach" for a top flight WR or top CB etc, who would play IMMEDIATELY? you just make no sense with your reasoning.

And yes, i DO see the Michael Vick comparisons and THATS WHY i dont want him. I would hate for Vick to be the QB of our team. I do not like that style of QB at ALL...not to mention the fact that Vick is injured and misses multiple games every year

You make it sound like it's so easy. Sorgi, Painter, and Orlovsky have been learning behind Manning for years. It has not translated into good quarterback play. The QB position is very unique. Either you have "it" or you don't. It is clear that they don't.

As for RGIII, I honestly can't say whether he has "it" or not. You would have to agree with me that he comes out of a very different offensive system and that he would be considered more of a project. He has great potential and upside, however, would you be willing to gamble your first round pick for RGIII? This is where we may differ. I wouldn't.

Also, Manning would design a hybrid attack for RGIII? Because Manning is such a dual threat QB? Manning would take time out of practice and not focus on the upcoming game, and instead teach RGIII to run a spread attack? I don't see this happening.

You mentioned that we could incorporate more role outs, which may be an option, however, having the QB roll out also changes the timing of the play. Remember, we are an offense based on timing.

.Come on...you KNOW Manning would work with him in off season like he did with Collie and Garcon...

Nobody said its easy....No rookie QB has it easy...

..and Manning knows the game..most of the top QBs do....Are you saying that Manning is too dumb to design and offense to use skills he does not have..

..and I think you KNOW that Mannng wa syoung once and did roll out some

....there's an assumption here that RG3 Cant learn but that Andrew Luck could...

I think that's just wrong.....

.....and no one on the NFL has RG3's combination of size and speed..That's the payoff...

I want you all to look right into the computer in front of you and tell me honestly that RG3 cannot be a smaller version of Cam Newton??

:spit:

you contradict yourself so much that its hard to even follow what you're saying...

"lets face it, we will re-sign wayne or garcon or both"....how do you know this? It all depends on the market...wayne will want a big payday as this will likely be his last deal...and garcon will also want a big payday because this will be his first REAL contract, since he's been playing cheap on his rookie deal.

Then you say that it doesnt matter if we reach (for RGIII) as long as he can play....yet RGIII wouldnt play for several years....so why not "reach" for a top flight WR or top CB etc, who would play IMMEDIATELY? you just make no sense with your reasoning.

And yes, i DO see the Michael Vick comparisons and THATS WHY i dont want him. I would hate for Vick to be the QB of our team. I do not like that style of QB at ALL...not to mention the fact that Vick is injured and misses multiple games every year

STOP..Blue..you know the Colts..we're not gojng to suddenly let our WRs walk...

Manning returns..but we dont sign his receivers....Nobody believes that...Manning will restructure his deal so Reggie gets paid.

,,and if I didnt have Manning,. I would not hate to have Vick. that doesnt make sense.

..and its not either or..we can trade down..get 2 picks..get RG3 and a CB

We have the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in the second round...

You have to be open to consider everything...Cant lock your mind down 3 months before the draft

fro the CBS Big BOARD......(but what do they know??)

6. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor*: Griffin's ascension continues. In accepting the Heisman Trophy he displayed yet another quality that will endear him to general managers and owners -- the charisma needed to be the face of an NFL franchise. Along with Griffin's remarkable combination of athleticism and accuracy on the deep ball, his rise up the board could push him past Barkley and even Luck as the elite prospect of the 2012 draft -- as "unbelievably believable" as that may sound.

Polian seems so locked in Luck, he might trade our next 3 1's to St. Louis to get him...

Except that he just recently talked about the necessity at CB, citing that we've never really taken them very high before, and have yet to fill the void left by Hayden's departure. Seems to me that he's juggling every possibility, while also driving up Luck's value should we trade him.

.Come on...you KNOW Manning would work with him in off season like he did with Collie and Garcon...

Nobody said its easy....No rookie QB has it easy...

..and Manning knows the game..most of the top QBs do....Are you saying that Manning is too dumb to design and offense to use skills he does not have..

..and I think you KNOW that Mannng wa syoung once and did roll out some

....there's an assumption here that RG3 Cant learn but that Andrew Luck could...

I think that's just wrong.....

.....and no one on the NFL has RG3's combination of size and speed..That's the payoff...

I want you all to look right into the computer in front of you and tell me honestly that RG3 cannot be a smaller version of Cam Newton??

:spit:

Manning worked with Collie and Garcon in the off season because they are receivers. He worked with them to get his timing down with them, which is a direct benefit to Manning. He plays with only one intention, which is to win the Super Bowl every year. I really don't think that he will sit down and develop a game plan just for RGIII. If what you are saying was true, then we would have seen Manning work in the off season to help develop Painter.

The assumption is not that RGIII can't learn the system. The assumption is that he may not be best suited for our system. I may be wrong. I would rather start with a QB that has shown he can work in a pro style offense.

Cam Newton may not fit into our style of offense either, so if RGIII is a smaller Cam Newton, then you're arguing that RGII may not fit what we currently do. If you are for changing the offense to suit his talents, the that may be an option.

I dont see us taking RGIII, and i hope that we do not, either. The "news" on him, in his scouting report now, says that Baylor has had to "dumb down" and use a very simplified playbook for him...so if he cant handle the playbook in college, i'd hate to see how he would handle one in the NFL...also, what does that say about his overall learning ability?

They said that about Cam Newton and nearly everyone (including me) thought he wouldn't be very good in the NFL...You never know what could happen.

Why because Firejimcaldwell gets that impression? C'monn you guys know better than that. Polian, assuming we have the first pick and maybe even if we don't, will be talking about Luck like he is the second coming of Superman. He will be trying to drive up his value and express the Colt's interest in him every chance he gets. If we didn't get the impression that he was sold out on Luck then that would be pathetic, not the the other way around.

There is no reason to talk him up unless we have the top pick. If we don't we are just driving up the bounty for the Rams. With the 1st pick it makes sense, without it becomes foolish. But I could see him giving up a draft pick based on how Irsay & Polian have acted once the #1 pick because a strong possibility.

I'm also a fan of trading the #1 pick without or without Manning. We need so much more than a quarterback.

Except that he just recently talked about the necessity at CB, citing that we've never really taken them very high before, and have yet to fill the void left by Hayden's departure. Seems to me that he's juggling every possibility, while also driving up Luck's value should we trade him.

We can only hope we end up with the #1, and we can only hope for a high priced auction for such pick paired with Manning's health.

UncleMark, you cant say that "STOP, we pay our WRs" etc...Reggie is on the wrong side of the age line and wanting a big pay day...if he doesnt agree to something reasonable, same with Garcon, we could very well let them go, if we have the #2 pick, because Blackmon will be a legit #1 WR

And you would seriously want Vick? what has he ever done, besides miss large parts of every season of his career, save one

I dont see us taking RGIII, and i hope that we do not, either. The "news" on him, in his scouting report now, says that Baylor has had to "dumb down" and use a very simplified playbook for him...so if he cant handle the playbook in college, i'd hate to see how he would handle one in the NFL...also, what does that say about his overall learning ability?

Do you have a source for this information? Or better yet, a link?