Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If The Rams take Andrew Luck or trade the No.1 overall to someone who does...

..what are the ups and downs of the Colts drafting Robert Griffin III?

He is a world class sprinter who could be used to return kicks while he's not playing...

The has a very strong arm but a very high TD to interception ratio...

RG3 would not mind riding the bench in 2012 because he wants to run in the Olympic Games//

he's a world class hurdler...

I dont know if he's Michael Vick or Joe Webb in the long run ..but he is the Heisman Trophy winner and a premier athlete..far beyond anyone else..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before in other threads-- I'm not sure that he fits into an NFL system yet... Although I was adamantly against him as an NFL QB before, the more highlights I watch of him, the more I like him. However, time will tell how he plays in the NFL (like any prospect, really). If he comes to Indy, I'd be excited to see how he learns. He seems to be a smart kid in the pocket, and under Manning, he could only improve his game. I'm wondering what the FO thinks of Jones as well. Gonna be a very exciting offseason for sure!

I've said it before in other threads-- I'm not sure that he fits into an NFL system yet... Although I was adamantly against him as an NFL QB before, the more highlights I watch of him, the more I like him. However, time will tell how he plays in the NFL (like any prospect, really). If he comes to Indy, I'd be excited to see how he learns. He seems to be a smart kid in the pocket, and under Manning, he could only improve his game. I'm wondering what the FO thinks of Jones as well. Gonna be a very exciting offseason for sure!

He is the single fastest player in college football

Olympic caliber speed..something we need..

He can run back kicks until Manning retires...

..and he wont mind not starting immedaitely and learning under Manning

I'm like you Bro.....I didnt like him the first time I saw him...

But the more you watch...he starts to look like Michael Vick's cousin

If we wind up at #2 overall.... we should shop that pick to a team who wants Kalil or RGIII, I think there are some who would pull the trigger for RGIII at the #2 spot....and there are several teams who need a LT.

We won't get the same bunch of draft picks we'd get at #1....but we should at least get an extra second and fourth rounder this year out of it in addition to the trade partner's 1st rounder.

If we beat the Jags and fall out of the #1 spot and miss out on Luck.... I'd rather target Nick Foles in round 2.

RGIII is actually a lot better prospect as a passer then Vick ever was. Vick was a really innacurate passer coming out of college and some how found his accuracy while in prison. With the 1st or 2nd pick we are still in a great position to get a lot for Luck or RGIII both of these guys will have a big ransom. I bet that there are some teams that would rather have RGIII then Luck too.

I dont see us taking RGIII, and i hope that we do not, either. The "news" on him, in his scouting report now, says that Baylor has had to "dumb down" and use a very simplified playbook for him...so if he cant handle the playbook in college, i'd hate to see how he would handle one in the NFL...also, what does that say about his overall learning ability?

RG III injury history and being one of the smaller NFL QB's worries me. He will get hit, just like Mike Vick gets hit. He will get injured again, just like Mike Vick gets injured. I see many of the great things people say about him, but I cannot get past the injury and potential injury issue.

and all of the "able to extend the play" QBs that people seem to love (Vick, Roethlisberger etc) ALL miss games EVERY season. In his entire career, Vick has only ONCE played a full season...and i dunno if Roethlisberger ever has played a full season, either.

Brady and Manning may not "extend the play", but they are good enough in the pocket to get rid of the ball and avoid injury.

Like me and u discussed in the other thread I don't see him being a franchise qb. Your two arguments r he won the heisman and well can newton won it so that automatically means rg3 will be cam, and well sorry that's just not true.

Rg3 isn't ready like luck is. Rg3 has awful footwork. YouTube it. He also struggles with velocity at times. When I see him throw he doesn't use his lower body at all. I've seen him miss easy throws at times. Requires a very simplified playbook. Played in a weak conference.the. Big 12 is statistically thee worst defense in college ball. He has a great deep ball don't get me wrong. Not incredibly tall for a qb at 6 foot 1 and half inches. This is what I've learned after researching rg3. Articles about him, draft previews and video.

Plus luck has played good defenses all year lost 1 game. All their wins have been pretty much blow outs. Lucks got size, great football iq, great accuracy/footwork, can extend the play and a HAS made all the nfl TYPE throws you want to see in a college prospect. His work ethic is amazing and he is a leader. This is why he is the greatest prospect since elway and in time I will see.

To prove heisman doesn't = nfl qb he's recent winners

Jason white okl QB

Matt leinhart USC qb

Troy smith OS qb

Tim Tebow Flor qb

Mark Ingram bama HB (still very young career)

Like me and u discussed in the other thread I don't see him being a franchise qb. Your two arguments r he won the heisman and well can newton won it so that automatically means rg3 will be cam, and well sorry that's just not true.

Rg3 isn't ready like luck is. Rg3 has awful footwork. YouTube it. He also struggles with velocity at times. When I see him throw he doesn't use his lower body at all. I've seen him miss easy throws at times. Requires a very simplified playbook. Played in a weak conference.the. Big 12 is statistically thee worst defense in college ball. He has a great deep ball don't get me wrong. Not incredibly tall for a qb at 6 foot 1 and half inches. This is what I've learned after researching rg3. Articles about him, draft previews and video.

Plus luck has played good defenses all year lost 1 game. All their wins have been pretty much blow outs. Lucks got size, great football iq, great accuracy/footwork, can extend the play and a HAS made all the nfl TYPE throws you want to see in a college prospect. His work ethic is amazing and he is a leader. This is why he is the greatest prospect since elway and in time I will see.

To prove heisman doesn't = nfl qb he's recent winners

Jason white okl QB

Matt leinhart USC qb

Troy smith OS qb

Tim Tebow Flor qb

Mark Ingram bama HB (still very young career)

Dont just debate..just consider.....

,.and this is if Luck is NOT available.........

He proved himself late in the year. you'd agree..

"Pretty much blowouts' Weakest defensive conference in the nation statistacally??

Those stats arent about him..they are about the competition..that he dominated

World class Olympic caliber athlete..something no one else in college football is

You saw him....He cant play at all. Not an NFL QB?

Needs a lot of time.....we have a lot of time...

Doem thought he had a better year than :Luck..../That's what the Heisman proves...

If we dont get the No.1 pick..you have to go somewhere other Andrew Luck.

There seems to be a hypnotic Tebow-like connection people have with Andrew Luck

If we win Sunday..and odds are we will..we dont get Andrew.

The Rams will trade the pick to someone like Denver

The conference is relevant because he played the worse passing defenses in NCAA. When he played good defenses they lost twice by 24 points or more. I would not waste a 2nd pick in him. I've considered it. I was neutral on rg3 till I did research watched videos and asked my cousin who graduated from Baylor and has seen all rg3 games. He says he's an amazing college qb but wouldn't take him at number 2. Granted he's just a fan like me and u. I just don't see it. It's great he has amazing straight line speed is a hurdler and the stuff but he's a qb not a rb/WR and undersized.

RGIII is an interesting prospect.

He would bring a new dimension to the Colts.

He is bigger than Vick, and is Much more accurate (compare their stats for thier last year in College)

RGIII would be a huge headache for other teams to prepare for.

IF Luck is gone, I would have no trouble taking RGIII at 2

AND I would let him learn from Manning.

Just wondering oldunclemark how many baylor games have you watched

Not as many as you have..... certainly...so you know what I'm talking about

..You never write off a great athlete as being totally incompetent/...///

...Like Deano said.....he can do things the other QB prospects cant even dream of...

If you want someone to lead an expansion team or a rebuilding to 6-10 next year..with hope of making the playoffsin 2014 or 2015

Its Luck..not RG3..

If you want a long term project to groom behind a Hall-of-Famer....soemone with once-in-a lifetime (Olympic hurdler) athletic skills,

its RG3...

No scout would write him off

I dont want an olympic caliber hurdler, i want an NFL caliber QB. If we dont get Luck, i would MUCH rather take another position of need in the first and maybe the second (depending on how the draft shakes out) and take a QB later... I would much rather have Foles or even Keenum than RGIII and they could both be had without spending our first round pick on them.

I dont want an olympic caliber hurdler, i want an NFL caliber QB. If we dont get Luck, i would MUCH rather take another position of need in the first and maybe the second (depending on how the draft shakes out) and take a QB later... I would much rather have Foles or even Keenum than RGIII and they could both be had without spending our first round pick on them.

I agree with you totally. If we end the season with a win and Rams loss and have the #2 pick, I'd trade back a little in the draft order and get some extra picks for the #2 overall. If the Rams take Luck, I wonder what they'd want for Bradford? He'd already have some experience and could learn under Manning. The Rams would want to unload his salary if they pick Luck. Maybe they'd take Wayne, Gonzo, or Garcon and a mid-rounder? Of course, we could very well end up with Luck even at #2 because the Rams are more likely to take a OLT than another #1 pick QB unless they trade the pick.

this is one of the craziest things i have seen.

you would have you franchise qb running back kicks??????

how many world class athletes have been elite qb's over the past 40 years????

what if he doesn't have the elite football iq you would need to "learn under manning"?

Wow, where to start...

"Rg3 isn't ready like luck is. Rg3 has awful footwork." True. But will he be ready in three years once Peyton retires? Funny how Luck can benefit from Manning but RG3 cant.

"Requires a very simplified playbook." Source?

"Played in a weak conference" With a weak team around him. Plus he produced against every team he played. Including Oklahoma. Your gunna act like the Pac 10 that Luck plays in is elite? You also stated in another post that when he played elite teams he lost by 24 points. You forgot to mention that he still threw for 300 yards, 3 tds and rushed for another, while his D allowed 45+ points. Remember that weak defense you talked about? Yea Baylor's got that to.

"Not incredibly tall for a qb at 6 foot 1 and half inches" First off, 6 ft 2. I'd say thats acceptable, seeings how Brees, Vick are smaller, and Stafford and Rodgers are the same size. Luck is 6'4. Are those 2 inches that important. Really? Cmon man.

"His work ethic is amazing and he is a leader" You say about Luck. Every player on Baylor will say the exact same thing about RG3. You dont go from Olympic hopeful, to rehabbing ACL tear to Heisman in a matter of years without hard work.

But then you will say oh but Luck is smart. RG3 graduated from his 4 year course in under 3 years. I have no doubt RG3 could learn Colts offense in three years, no doubt at all. You also talk about how Heisman's dont always succeed in the NFL. But if Luck won we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Your right though, Luck is more pro ready then RG3. However I fail to see how it helps him when he is on the sideline holding the clipboard on Sundays for the next three years. Perhaps you could explain.

Wow, where to start...

"Rg3 isn't ready like luck is. Rg3 has awful footwork." True. But will he be ready in three years once Peyton retires? Funny how Luck can benefit from Manning but RG3 cant.

"Requires a very simplified playbook." Source?

"Played in a weak conference" With a weak team around him. Plus he produced against every team he played. Including Oklahoma. Your gunna act like the Pac 10 that Luck plays in is elite? You also stated in another post that when he played elite teams he lost by 24 points. You forgot to mention that he still threw for 300 yards, 3 tds and rushed for another, while his D allowed 45+ points. Remember that weak defense you talked about? Yea Baylor's got that to.

"Not incredibly tall for a qb at 6 foot 1 and half inches" First off, 6 ft 2. I'd say thats acceptable, seeings how Brees, Vick are smaller, and Stafford and Rodgers are the same size. Luck is 6'4. Are those 2 inches that important. Really? Cmon man.

"His work ethic is amazing and he is a leader" You say about Luck. Every player on Baylor will say the exact same thing about RG3. You dont go from Olympic hopeful, to rehabbing ACL tear to Heisman in a matter of years without hard work.

But then you will say oh but Luck is smart. RG3 graduated from his 4 year course in under 3 years. I have no doubt RG3 could learn Colts offense in three years, no doubt at all. You also talk about how Heisman's dont always succeed in the NFL. But if Luck won we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Your right though, Luck is more pro ready then RG3. However I fail to see how it helps him when he is on the sideline holding the clipboard on Sundays for the next three years. Perhaps you could explain.

I understand u rg3 lovers rnt going to budge and that's ok so we will just have to wait and see.

And you say what does it matter if he's pro resdy riding bench for 4 years? Come on man PM might not even play 1 more year. If u can choose between someone who is pro resdy or who isn't u pick pro ready in my opinion because he can only get better. I know rg3 can too I just don't see it. It does matter when ur playing horrible defenses. Look at most of his highlights his receivers are wideeee open. Not taking away from his natural talent but I just don't see him getting much better. Simplified playbook has been reported several times on here and espn. Brees is the exception to the small qb but Vick and rg3 like to run that's y Vick is getting hurt a lot and I see the same for rg3. And you say rg3 could learn the colts complicated offense in 3 years when he struggled with a simple playbook. And 3 years???? Wow you must see in the future cause we don't know if Peyton plays at all.

RG3 is NOT the single fastest player in college football. Perhaps the fastest QB but I'm not even sure about that.

Personally, I'm not sold on RG3. He throws one of the most accurate deep balls in the NCAA but his accuracy on short and intermediate routes leaves a lot to be desired. He might be able to improve but he would need a lot of improvement to thrive in an offense like the Colts' that relies on timing and accuracy. On the other hand, he might wind up being another QB who can only throw the Go route like Daunte Culpepper.

I agree with Pacolts56, something which will come as no shock at all to him. :D lol If we're gonna draft a QB this year then my preference would be to trade back, acquire some extra picks and grab Foles who will hopefully still be available at the top of the 2nd round. If not Foles then I'd take a chance on Cousins or Case Keenum in a later round.

this is one of the craziest things i have seen.

you would have you franchise qb running back kicks??????

how many world class athletes have been elite qb's over the past 40 years????

what if he doesn't have the elite football iq you would need to "learn under manning"?

Husker.....You must be a young man.....no shame..

There's more than one future NFL QB who ran back kicks..

Cordell Stewart..Joe Theisman...

..and they were good at it..

Walter Payton led the league in KO returns...

..It would be a good use of RG3's talent no matter who drafts him...

..and playing indoors in prefect conditions......his speed would be intimidating..He is worth considering if we go QB early

..and Jason..His web site profile says he is the fastest man in college football.

Now I have not raced him.....so maybe they're lying..

But he still holds the Texas 110 meter hurdle record..

The interesting thins abut him is the last of interceptions.

He's thrown 26 interceptions in his life...9 in high school and 17 in college...

..and he's not Tebow..He throws 30 times a game../He's worth a look for a QB project

..and playing indoors in prefect conditions......his speed would be intimidating..He is worth considering if we go QB early

..and Jason..His web site profile says he is the fastest man in college football.

The interesting thins abut him is the last of interceptions.

He's thrown 26 interceptions in his life...9 in high school and 17 in college...

..and he's not Tebow..He throws 30 times a game../He's worth a look for a QB project

Why would he have to be a "young man" to think that that idea is completely stupid?

I agree that its a horrible idea.

For starters, Kordell Stewart also played WR at times and was never a good starting QB....and Joe Theisman's career was ended with a horrific knee injury.

If i'm paying a guy to be my "future franchise QB", i want him learning to be a QB and not putting him at risk on special teams.

From all of the reports that are now saying that RGIII couldnt even learn Baylor's playbook in 3yrs and had to be given a very simplified playbook to run, his time on ANY team will be better served by trying to learn to be a QB, not running back kicks.

You can get "olympic speed" kick returners in the 7th round and undrafted...and if they get hurt, its not the same loss as losing a "future franchise qb"...which, by the way, i think RGIII will NEVER become anyhow

Why would he have to be a "young man" to think that that idea is completely stupid?

I agree that its a horrible idea.

For starters, Kordell Stewart also played WR at times and was never a good starting QB....and Joe Theisman's career was ended with a horrific knee injury.

If i'm paying a guy to be my "future franchise QB", i want him learning to be a QB and not putting him at risk on special teams.

From all of the reports that are now saying that RGIII couldnt even learn Baylor's playbook in 3yrs and had to be given a very simplified playbook to run, his time on ANY team will be better served by trying to learn to be a QB, not running back kicks.

You can get "olympic speed" kick returners in the 7th round and undrafted...and if they get hurt, its not the same loss as losing a "future franchise qb"...which, by the way, i think RGIII will NEVER become anyhow

Blue.........HUSKER may not REMEMBER Cordell Stewart and Joe Theisman like I do..They ran back kicks and didnt get hurt

Its not a bad idea..Its been done...that's the point...

QB's can catch the ball..They're good under pressure and can make split second decisions.

Its been done...and RG3 could be a gamebreaker the likes of which we havent seen..

Check your facts. Cordell Stewart was a very good QB..He threw for 3,000 yards twice .....Theisman was even better...and his broken leg came while playing QB..But that's not the issue....He WAS a kick returner....and RG3 could be, too, while he's in 'Manning class'...to be our 2015 starting QB

...We are not drafting a QB to play in 2012..We have a very good one...

And you are not correct...You cannot get a football player (and certainly not a QB) with the footspeed and balance this guy has.

That's just not true..

Dumb down? Are we into the black QB thing...?

RG3 threw 17 interceptions in his college career..in 1100 passes..I think he knew the playbook..

Special teams is not a big risk...come on..its football...He'd run back 5 kicks a game and he s the backup QB. If he sprains an ankle..he's not playing.

You can say you dont like him as QB and that's fine...but if Luck is gone..we have to go elsewhere for a future QB prospect..

..and looking 3/4 years ahead..to me..RG3 has a greater upside than anyone coming out..

Blue.........HUSKER may not REMEMBER Cordell Stewart and Joe Theisman like I do..They ran back kicks and didnt get hurt

Its not a bad idea..Its been done...that's the point...

QB's can catch the ball..They're good under pressure and can make split second decisions.

Its been done...and RG3 could be a gamebreaker the likes of which we havent seen..

Check your facts. Cordell Stewart was a very good QB..He threw for 3,000 yards twice .....Theisman was even better...and his broken leg came while playing QB..But that's not the issue....He WAS a kick returner....and RG3 could be, too, while he's in 'Manning class'...to be our 2015 starting QB

...We are not drafting a QB to play in 2012..We have a very good one...

And you are not correct...You cannot get a football player (and certainly not a QB) with the footspeed and balance this guy has.

That's just not true..

Dumb down? Are we into the black QB thing...?

RG3 threw 17 interceptions in his college career..in 1100 passes..I think he knew the playbook..

Special teams is not a big risk...come on..its football...He'd run back 5 kicks a game and he s the backup QB. If he sprains an ankle..he's not playing.

You can say you dont like him as QB and that's fine...but if Luck is gone..we have to go elsewhere for a future QB prospect..

..and looking 3/4 years ahead..to me..RG3 has a greater upside than anyone coming out..

well for one, its Stewart's name is spelled with a K not a C...and "he was a good QB, threw for 3,000 yards twice!" ...thats it? thats your reason for thinking he was a good QB? some of the WORST QBs in the NFL throw for 3,000 yards in a season lol

and no, the "dumb down" wasnt a shot at him for being a black QB...its stupid for you to even draw that conclusion...the "dumb down" comment was in regards to the fact that all of the "scouts" are now saying that he had to use a "dumbed down" or VERY simplified playbook while at Baylor, because he COULDNT learn the playbook...so what makes you think that he could learn an NFL playbook in the same amount of time (3-4 yrs) that was spent in college unable to learn an NCAA playbook?

and you're saying that you cant get another football player with the speed/balance that RGIII has? seriously? do you really think he's the best there ever was and the best there ever will be, in the speed/balance departments? thats just ridiculous...

you can draft guys that were near the very top in the return game in NCAA in the LATE rounds of the draft, and sometimes they even go undrafted....so why spend a first rounder on someone to do that, when he's a QB...and one that may or may not even be able to learn an NFL playbook if you DIDNT have him wasting time learning to play special teams?

I understand u rg3 lovers rnt going to budge and that's ok so we will just have to wait and see.

And you say what does it matter if he's pro resdy riding bench for 4 years? Come on man PM might not even play 1 more year. If u can choose between someone who is pro resdy or who isn't u pick pro ready in my opinion because he can only get better. I know rg3 can too I just don't see it. It does matter when ur playing horrible defenses. Look at most of his highlights his receivers are wideeee open. Not taking away from his natural talent but I just don't see him getting much better. Simplified playbook has been reported several times on here and espn. Brees is the exception to the small qb but Vick and rg3 like to run that's y Vick is getting hurt a lot and I see the same for rg3. And you say rg3 could learn the colts complicated offense in 3 years when he struggled with a simple playbook. And 3 years???? Wow you must see in the future cause we don't know if Peyton plays at all.

His receivers are wide open often, as are Lucks. This is college ball where talking about here, great receivers will get wide open more then they would in the nfl. So with that said you have to ask why they are open. In RG3's case its because he either throws them open, or buys time and the secondary cant cover for that long.

And the playbook thing started by an analyst saying that he actually had not seen the Baylor playbook but it appeared to be 1 read then run. So he was just speculating. Its not a fact by any means.

Yes i can see the future, and I can assure you that Peyton plays 3 more years. :P

you may be setting a record for being wrong.

i saw unitas play, maybe that's young to you.

using what ONE qb did for one year almost 40 years ago and a gimmick qb as examples are ridiculous! walter payton was a qb????

a personal website profile??? now that's an unbiased view!

you don't draft qb projects with the 2nd pick in the draft!!!! teams that do this are perennial losing franchises!

haha thats just sad and pathetic... he and his son need to go!

Why because Firejimcaldwell gets that impression? C'monn you guys know better than that. Polian, assuming we have the first pick and maybe even if we don't, will be talking about Luck like he is the second coming of Superman. He will be trying to drive up his value and express the Colt's interest in him every chance he gets. If we didn't get the impression that he was sold out on Luck then that would be pathetic, not the the other way around.

Why because Firejimcaldwell gets that impression? C'monn you guys know better than that. Polian, assuming we have the first pick and maybe even if we don't, will be talking about Luck like he is the second coming of Superman. He will be trying to drive up his value and express the Colt's interest in him every chance he gets. If we didn't get the impression that he was sold out on Luck then that would be pathetic, not the the other way around.

I am probably the leader of the trade the #1 pick fan club, and Polian's statements about how the Colts could not afford to pay veterans or even rookies in exchange for Luck and how it will not help the team, leads me to agree with what Firejimcaldwell is saying... and I hope you are right I hope it is a ploy to drive up his value to trade down, and im sure some of that will depend on Mannings health come March. But Irsay's comments thursday night made me think there is hope to trade the pick, when he said we aren't going to find the next Manning this year or next year nor anytime soon.. so if Manning is healthy maybe they wheel and deal the pick. But I want Manning and an improved roster, not with Luck, so I am not sure if I want an Indy loss sunday or not.... But if your theory is true, and its a smokescreen and a ploy to drive the value of Luck up, then I would be plesently and happily surprised!

I am probably the leader of the trade the #1 pick fan club, and Polian's statements about how the Colts could not afford to pay veterans or even rookies in exchange for Luck and how it will not help the team, leads me to agree with what Firejimcaldwell is saying... and I hope you are right I hope it is a ploy to drive up his value to trade down, and im sure some of that will depend on Mannings health come March. But Irsay's comments thursday night made me think there is hope to trade the pick, when he said we aren't going to find the next Manning this year or next year nor anytime soon.. so if Manning is healthy maybe they wheel and deal the pick. But I want Manning and an improved roster, not with Luck, so I am not sure if I want an Indy loss sunday or not.... But if your theory is true, and its a smokescreen and a ploy to drive the value of Luck up, then

I would be plesently and happily surprised!

I wouldn't be surprised, Polian has been playing this game for a long time.

I am with you in that I would go for the trade down. I was happy to hear Polian say that he thought we needed "playmakers" at almost every position. That might be the line of thinking that get's him to trade down for more picks. I guess one of the questions we have to ask is, at what point in the draft do the "playmakers" start drying up? Maybe we're better off picking up a guy who is projected to be a stud rather than 2 or three that are projected to be "solid".

Who knows? not me.