Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Military paid 14 teams to salute the troops.

Narcosys

As a veteran I have no issue with this. Heck, they spend millions sponsors racecars and in return, get free tickets to give away

Im a vet also but I would rather teams honor vets because they want to not because they are paid to. I'm not * about it like some though.

If my bank wanted the team to honor their employees they would have to pay for it. Its promoting the bank, honoring their employees, and giving away freebees etc. I don't see the problem with the teams taking money from the Military. The Military wants to honor its employees. It would be very NICE if the team did things on their own to recognize our service members but thats an entirely separate thing. The way they word it makes it kinda decieving....but basically its just another corperate marketing scheme. The NFL does other things to pay back service members I'm sure...this promotion just isn't one of them. I honestly don't know all the marketing and promotions that the Colts or teams run but I'm sure they do several things for veterans that they aren't being paid to do. This isn't a charity type thing...even if people probably thought it was.

Colts rebuttal, which got zero traction and which most people will ignore: http://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-score/post/53171-colts-fire-back-at-critics-of-military-marketing

“The contract we have had with the National Guard was an advertising agreement,” said Colts Chief Operating Officer Pete Ward. “Virtually all of the deliverables to the National Guard in our advertising agreement are just that—advertising—and would be recognized as such.

“The vast majority of our honoring our service people is proudly done by us completely separate and distinct of any advertising agreement,” Ward added.

Ward followed up by emailing IBJ a list of 18 bulleted items the Colts do for free to honor the military, including hosting a game-day collection benefiting the Wish for Our Heroes campaign, hosting military homecomings (where soldiers meet families in a surprise reunion) at games for the past five seasons, and inviting the National Guard to deliver the game day ball by rappelling onto the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

So, per Pete Ward, stuff like the following is done by the Colts, independent of the advertising agreement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7nBDsHRkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9qRHzlK_E

http://rare.us/story/soldier-surprises-daughters-with-amazing-indianapolis-colts-game-homecoming/

Same would likely apply to other teams. For instance, the Giants have done similar things, but they aren't among the 14 teams listed.

I think it's because people think no one should be paid to salute the military.  They're fighting to protect their country (including those very football players) and the NFL teams are taking money for doing something they should already be doing. 

Bingo! I want to see genuine support for the troops not being paid to clap or salute our armed forces. I understand any organization or branch has operational costs to run smoothly, but this just feels wrong on so many levels. My dad who served in Korea would be livid over this new revelation. 

Ive got no problem with military paying for this as a recruiting tool. I think NFL or any major sports should tribute the troops just because they can , and its the right thing to do. :thmup:  

Look, I get the exposure side of things that the NFL provides on their media platform I truly do, but does this also mean that my beloved image of player observances during the Natl. Anthem are also not genuine either? I sincerely hope not. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry & team owners are pretty wealthy too. Why is our military paying for manufactured support by NFL franchises? 

No, forcing our armed forces to give the NFL a cut for fake natl. pride is very disturbing to me. Would the NFL shake down the Red Cross too? SMH. 

I agree support our men & women wholeheartedly & completely but not like this. Advertising my caboose...I get the recruitment angle during the NFL season of course, but the NFL can afford to grant US military exposure for next to nothing. It's the right thing to do. 

Personally I'd rather the military use the money for training, equipment, or benefits as opposed to giving it to a multi-billion dollar organization that up until recently enjoyed a tax free status as a non-profit organization.

Millions of dollars that could have been used to allow Soldiers that need equipment (Many Army Reservists don't have anything), range qualification time (the Army Reserves can't even afford bullets for their Soldiers to qualify on their weapons), or maintenance on vehicles that haven't been serviced in over 10 years...

Instead of all that the DoD in all it's wisdom decides to use that money for "advertising" by paying teams to "Salute" the military.  I am sorry, but to this old Soldier, it doesn't count as a salute if you are paid to do it.  That's just advertising to drum up recruitment numbers. 

I am rather disappointed that the Colts would partake in this and now I understand why they put in the POW/MIA seat and where the money for that came from.  It cheapens the event and makes the Colts organization, and the others who accepted money, seem like prostitutes for the DoD.  "Oh sure, we will "salute the troops".... for 1.7 million dollars that is"

Sorry for the rant.  This really struck a nerve with me for some reason.  I can't stand manufactured patriotism and that's what this reeks of to me.

Amen to this! I agree 100% that funds could be far better spent than on this "pay to play" salute business.

There's a distinction to be made here in that commercial recruiting ads and efforts are one thing....but paying to salute service and sacrifice is another.

IMO....the Pentagon should eliminate this practice and NFL owners should do so as well.

I'm fine with ceremonies honoring individual members or perhaps local units for combat service, and certainly in the case of those who were wounded or lost in battle as a genuine gesture of gratitude.

Pentagon leadership and NFL teams should see that these ceremonies are reserved for the most special and sacrificial of circumstances....and it shouldn't cost a dime.

I agree 100% with both of these well crafted & well written posts gentlemen. I ran out of likes. 

Bingo! I want to see genuine support for the troops not being paid to clap or salute our armed forces. I understand any organization or branch has operational costs to run smoothly, but this just feels wrong on so many levels. My dad who served in Korea would be livid over this new revelation. 

Look, I get the exposure side of things that the NFL provides on their media platform I truly do, but does this also mean that my beloved image of player observances during the Natl. Anthem are also not genuine either? I sincerely hope not. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry & team owners are pretty wealthy too. Why is our military paying for manufactured support by NFL franchises? 

No, forcing our armed forces to give the NFL a cut for fake natl. pride is very disturbing to me. Would the NFL shake down the Red Cross too? SMH. 

I agree support our men & women wholeheartedly & completely but not like this. Advertising my caboose...I get the recruitment angle during the NFL season of course, but the NFL can afford to grant US military exposure for next to nothing. It's the right thing to do. 

Kind of the point I was making , I do not hold this against the military, however professional sports should tribute troops for free. never should've excepted the money. Im sure this is not confined to just the NFL.

I am not upset at the teams that were paid, nor the NFL. I am however upset that we already pay massive amounts of money for our military and then they are spending some of that money to advertise themselves. 

If school district starting paying for commercials, I would feel the same way.

Kind of the point I was making , I do not hold this against the military, however professional sports should tribute troops for free. never should've excepted the money. Im sure this is not confined to just the NFL.

We're perfectly fine brother. I wasn't criticizing you directly. Just the outlandish argument that some people were trying to pass this practice off as advertising or the normal business model cost of doing business. Total nonsense in my opinion. Again, not you Jay simply other fans who okay with this continued action. 

I, like you, believe that NFL troop support should be authentic & free of charge because I highly doubt that the league flies armed forces in just to stand at attention on the field for less than minute before a game starts. I'm sure Uncle Sam pays for their travel to & from the event not say Roger Goodell. 

People are of course entitled to disagree with me here regarding the military paying the NFL for manufactured praise naturally I get that. However, from my perspective, this practice is disgusting & appalling when you consider the sacrifices military families make to serve their country both here & abroad. 

Why shouldn't the military have to pay for advertising?

I don't understand why this is looked down on. The military spends a lot of money on advertisement and publicity. Why is this different?

Honest question. I hope I'm not offending anyone's sensibilities...

Can't side with on this one man. That's messed up.

I am with Superman on this one.  I do not really see a problem with this.  The military wants to advertise to help recruitment and the NFL is one of the biggest companies out there for advertisement. It is a relationship that makes sense.

As Superman posted I am sure that most of these teams have stuff to honor the troops on top of the advertising agreements they sign with the military.

If anything you should be mad at the military for wasting tax payer money on advertisement.

We're perfectly fine brother. I wasn't criticizing you directly. Just the outlandish argument that some people were trying to pass this practice off as advertising or the normal business model cost of doing business. Total nonsense in my opinion. Again, not you Jay simply other fans who okay with this continued action. 

I, like you, believe that NFL troop support should be authentic & free of charge because I highly doubt that the league flies armed forces in just to stand at attention on the field for less than minute before a game starts. I'm sure Uncle Sam pays for their travel to & from the event not say Roger Goodell. 

People are of course entitled to disagree with me here regarding the military paying the NFL for manufactured praise naturally I get that. However, from my perspective, this practice is disgusting & appalling when you consider the sacrifices military families make to serve their country both

here & abroad. 

Well Put .

IMO the NFL makes a lot of money taking it from the military is wrong

Our military people deserve better the NFL should donate all proceeds to the Wounded Warrior project or other charities that help our veterans who have given so much to use all .

The NFL comes off as very greedy IMO they just gave up there tax exempt status or am I wrong ? There not hurting for cash while those veterans may be .

It's the NFL, is anyone surprised? They don't do anything for free.

According to this, that's not true: http://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-score/post/53171-colts-fire-back-at-critics-of-military-marketing

Ward followed up by emailing IBJ a list of 18 bulleted items the Colts do for free to honor the military, including hosting a game-day collection benefiting the Wish for Our Heroes campaign, hosting military homecomings (where soldiers meet families in a surprise reunion) at games for the past five seasons, and inviting the National Guard to deliver the game day ball by rappelling onto the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Amen to this! I agree 100% that funds could be far better spent than on this "pay to play" salute business.

There's a distinction to be made here in that commercial recruiting ads and efforts are one thing....but paying to salute service and sacrifice is another.

IMO....the Pentagon should eliminate this practice and NFL owners should do so as well.

I'm fine with ceremonies honoring individual members or perhaps local units for combat service, and certainly in the case of those who were wounded or lost in battle as a genuine gesture of gratitude.

Pentagon leadership and NFL teams should see that these ceremonies are reserved for the most special and sacrificial of circumstances....and it shouldn't cost a dime.

But it does cost a dime. It cost a lot more that what the teams are collecting. I bet the Colts paid out a lot more than $600,000. to do what they do when you add what is done. Pointing a finger at the owner (Irsay) and making a big deal of this is nit picking. Irsay has just one charitable event that he writes a million dollars to every year. (Riley Hospital) He also pays for a spousal victims house to help battered women. To single out this one thing is being narrow minded when looking at the bigger picture.

But it does cost a dime. It cost a lot more that what the teams are collecting. I bet the Colts paid out a lot more than $600,000. to do what they do when you add what is done. Pointing a finger at the owner (Irsay) and making a big deal of this is nit picking. Irsay has just one charitable event that he writes a million dollars to every year. (Riley Hospital) He also pays for a spousal victims house to help battered women. To single out this one thing is being narrow minded when looking at the bigger picture.

Sure it does.....I get that. But what did it cost the folks who died or got shot up protecting our way of life and Jimmy Irsay's or anyone else's very ability to even DO business?

My point was, and please keep in mind I was equally critical of the Pentagon for spending tax dollars this way....was that these ceremonies should be reserved for remembering or honoring folks and their families who have paid a devastatingly high price, or the ultimate price.

Without their willingness to put their lives on the line.....and indeed pay with their lives, or come back badly injured, the "big picture" here in the USA sucks badly, and among other things we probably don't get to sit here and express our football stupidity....which Irsay very wisely makes money on, by the way. And then donates it to charity if he so chooses.

C'mon man, don't you think in this context that these folks deserve 5 minutes or so of free time on a Sunday to say thank you?

Sure it does.....I get that. But what did it cost the folks who died or got shot up protecting our way of life and Jimmy Irsay's or anyone else's very ability to even DO business?

My point was, and please keep in mind I was equally critical of the Pentagon for spending tax dollars this way....was that these ceremonies should be reserved for remembering or honoring folks and their families who have paid a devastatingly high price, or the ultimate price.

Without their willingness to put their lives on the line.....and indeed pay with their lives, or come back badly injured, the "big picture" here in the USA sucks badly, and among other things we probably don't get to sit here and express our football stupidity....which Irsay very wisely makes money on, by the way. And then donates it to charity if he so chooses.

C'mon man, don't you think in this context that these folks deserve 5 minutes or so of free time on a Sunday to say thank you?

I get your point but IMO I think your making too big a deal of it. The US government spends millions and millions of dollars advertising. This comes out of that budget. So if Irsay collected the $600,000. and then turns it over to charity he is picking up the tab. He is not making money off of it. Look at it from his eyes. He is picking up an extra $600,000. to give to charity. With the taxes he pays he might see things a little different than you or me. He is in that 40% bracket and pays his share. I served in the military from 1972 till 1975 after being drafted. Very few even have a clue as to what a draft is let along understand it these days. I mention this to show as a military person I have no issues with this.

I understand and agree that the military should pay for their commercials to recruit. Like someone else said I've been under the impression that the NFL and teams have been honoring the military out of respect. Not getting paid to do so. I was pretty much born and raised in the military so it hits close to home.

I agree.  The military has to pay the NFL to be honored by the NFL?  I have no problem with the military paying for their advertisements, but when you make it look like a selfless event to bestow gratitude on the military and then it all turns about to be a paid advertisement that seems a little dishonest.  I guess I would like to see one of those messages during the event like they do for doctors or celebs on ads - paid endorsement - or something like that.  It just seems a little sleezy.

I get your point but IMO I think your making too big a deal of it. The US government spends millions and millions of dollars advertising. This comes out of that budget. So if Irsay collected the $600,000. and then turns it over to charity he is picking up the tab. He is not making money off of it. Look at it from his eyes. He is picking up an extra $600,000. to give to charity. With the taxes he pays he might see things a little different than you or me. He is in that 40% bracket and pays his share. I served in the military from 1972 till 1975 after being drafted. Very few even have a clue as to what a draft is let along understand it these days. I mention this to show as a military person I have no issues with this.

I know they do....and I've been either active duty military or DOD civilian for all but 7 years since 1978, and I have two sons and a son-in-law on active duty right now, so I fully understand and stay connected with that side of things. And I also much appreciate your service....especially you having been drafted. They ended the draft the year I graduated HS.

And if Irsay flipped this DOD money to charity, then great.

I'd just prefer that the services reserve recruiting or quasi-recruiting budget dollars such as these for other use and leave ceremonies that honor service and sacrifice for times and venues made available without charge. And if NFL owners don't want to oblige then so be it.

Having been around DOD for a good spell, I've had a front-row seat to processes that could be much better streamlined and save tax dollars....and trying to get those processes leaned out in as monolithic an organization as DOD is, is damn near impossible. If it weren't for some stubborn organizational interests, there is some very-correctable fraud, waste and abuse that exists in the supply chain process alone which represents dollars that would be much better spent getting parts and materials faster and cheaper.

So my daily frustration with that and having three of my own having been deployed plays pretty heavily into how I think about this paid ceremony business.

I know 600k is a spit in the ocean compared to the DOD budget and Jimmy Irsay's bank account....but it could still be much better spent, IMO.

I know they do....and I've been either active duty military or DOD civilian for all but 7 years since 1978, and I have two sons and a son-in-law on active duty right now, so I fully understand and stay connected with that side of things. And I also much appreciate your service....especially you having been drafted. They ended the draft the year I graduated HS.

And if Irsay flipped this DOD money to charity, then great.

I'd just prefer that the services reserve recruiting or quasi-recruiting budget dollars such as these for other use and leave ceremonies that honor service and sacrifice for times and venues made available without charge. And if NFL owners don't want to oblige then so be it.

Having been around DOD for a good spell, I've had a front-row seat to processes that could be much better streamlined and save tax dollars....and trying to get those processes leaned out in as monolithic an organization as DOD is, is damn near impossible. If it weren't for some stubborn organizational interests, there is some very-correctable fraud, waste and abuse that exists in the supply chain process alone which represents dollars that would be much better spent getting parts and materials faster and cheaper.

So my daily frustration with that and having three of my own having been deployed plays pretty heavily into how I think about this paid ceremony business.

I know 600k is a spit in the ocean compared to the DOD budget and Jimmy Irsay's bank account....but it could still be much better spent, IMO.

I have no problem with your comment at all and I understand completely your point of view. I was just looking at the situation with a different perspective. After reading the article that Pete Ward wrote it made more sense to me and a little more acceptable for me. I may not be 100% on board but there is a lot more things that can be done to help our service men other than putting them up in front of the public to see. Sometimes what we don't see can be more important than what the publics perception is.

I said the NFL, as in, Goodell. The front office. The NFL that orders teams to wear pink and crap.

But what do these individual agreements between teams and the military for advertising have to do with the NFL? This is a team by team situation.

But what do these individual agreements between teams and the military for advertising have to do with the NFL? This is a team by team situation.

I'm pretty sure the NFL MAKES teams advertise what they want (again, see pink crap month or salute to service week). 

I'm pretty sure the NFL MAKES teams advertise what they want (again, see pink crap month or salute to service week).

If that were the case here, all 32 teams would be on this list. It's 14 teams that have this advertising agreement with the military that has so many people hot under the collar.

If that were the case here, all 32 teams would be on this list. It's 14 teams that have this advertising agreement with the military that has so many people hot under the collar.

Meh, what I said still stands.

I could be wrong,  but it's my understanding that what has most people hot under the collar is that fans didn't know this was a paid advertisement.

They thought it was a tribute that the NFL teams were doing for the military.    They didn't know the military was paying for the NFL teams to devote time at halftime to do these demonstrations.

A bit of false-advertising. 

No one knew this was an event that was sponsored by the military.   And when they found out a month or so ago,  it rubbed people the wrong way.    Fans felt manipulated.

I pretty much personally try to ignore the military stuff, breast cancer awareness stuff, domestic abuse apologizing and overall advertising.

Just give me the games. Please....

Heck I even started to mute games last year and just played music in the background. And occasionally covering my eyes might even work this year.

Here's information from a Colts rep:

There has been much talk in national media of late concerning the National Guard spending funds with NFL teams to honor service men and women. These headlines have been misleading as it pertains to the COLTS. The contract we have had with the National Guard was an advertising agreement. Virtually all of the benefits to the National Guard in our advertising agreement are just that---advertising; and would be recognized as such. The vast majority of our honoring our service people is proudly done by us completely separate and distinct of any advertising agreement, and includes:

• Honor 100 family members of fallen soldiers on the field pre-game of our annual “Salute to Service” game, and provide tickets/meal vouchers for them.

• Donate more than 1,000 tickets to military for our full field flag presentations throughout the season.

• Deliver care packages to 250 veterans every November.

• Host a game day collection benefiting Wish for Our Heroes.

• In 2014, donated tens of thousands of dollars to military organizations through our 50/50 raffle.

• Donate more than 50 tickets per game to military members and their families through the Player Ticket Blocks program.

• Host a Military Day at Training Camp (provide a VIP experience for 25 military members).

• Host Military Homecomings at games – have surprised several families over the past five seasons.

• Installed a POW Memorial Chair at LOS.

• Support the American Red Cross’ Holiday Mail for Heroes, allowing fans to create holiday cards for military at a Colts game.

• Invited the National Guard to deliver the game day ball by rappelling onto the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Host a camo ribbon pass-out for fans at our “Salute to Service” game every year.

• Send military care packages throughout the year to men and women serving here and abroad.

• Invite Military members to run out with the starting lineup at our “Salute to Service” game.

• Host Military themed halftime shows (i.e. w/Cheerleaders, Silent Drill Team, Air Force Marching Band, etc.) that have include service men and women.

• Participate in cheerleader and player military tours overseas.

• Send cheerleaders and Blue to local military bases.

• Support player military engagement efforts.