Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ulrick John...up to 310...ready to give his all!

BrentMc11

Mods, feel free to make this a link...short article by Stephen Holder.  I think the kid has a chance!

John prepares for do-over on his rookie season

Lineman broke ankle in 1st week of training camp, missed year 

Stephen Holder

stephen.holder@indystar.com 

Here’s a familiar scenario: The Indianapolis Colts draft an woffensive lineman in the seventh round that no one has ever heard of.

Only, this does not refer to Denzelle Good, who was the Colts’ seventh-round choice on Saturday out of Mars Hill University.

It also applies to Ulrick John, the Colts’ 2014 seventhround pick, who has yet to see the field but now has high hopes of making an impact.

John suffered a broken ankle in the first week of training camp last season, winding up on injured reserve and missing
 his rookie campaign.

Now, he’s back and hoping to compete for at least a backup spot on an offensive line that last season featured 11 different starting combinations.

“As long as I can come in and show I can compete, I can give myself a shot to maybe not start, but be a key backup,” said John, a Georgia State product. “I’m willing to go wherever. If they tell me to go out and run a route, I’m going to go run that route to the best of my ability. It may not be fast, but I’m going to get there.”

That’s not likely to happen. But the Colts will certainly test John at tackle. And he has given himself more of a chance to be physically ready for the challenge
 after spending his injured season improving his physique.

“I went from 290 (pounds) when I first showed up the first day to 310 now,” John said. “I
 feel a lot better than I ever have. I’m really happy this way. When I was in college, I really struggled putting weight on. I think the highest I ever got to was 300, and that was after eating a huge meal. And I still had my shoes on and all my clothes on when I weighed myself.”

John also remained diligent in the classroom while rehabbing his injury.

“I think my football smarts (developed),” he said. “Even though I was injured, I still went to meetings every single day throughout the season. I would just sit in there and learn everything, from how we game plan to learning all the plays and everything. Even though I was injured, (General Manager) Ryan Grigson told me that maybe it was a blessing in disguise.”

He's plays offensive line, he has a chance to start at any position except LG & LT

Isn't much "sure fire" outside of Castonzo & Mewhort

Guess you could count Herremans but he's up there in age

IMO he's a tackle all the way

I think so too just saying offensive line isn't our strong point so if he's versatile it's a big lift for him in chances of making the team

Yeah, the team stresses that.  Reitz and Mewhort can both play G or T pretty well.  The way our O line keeps changing, it's a necessity to be versatile.

Let's hope we can stick with the same starting lineup for a lot of the season this year though.

Mods, feel free to make this a link...short article by Stephen Holder.  I think the kid has a chance!

John prepares for do-over on his rookie season

Lineman broke ankle in 1st week of training camp, missed year 

Stephen Holder 

stephen.holder@indystar.com 

Here’s a familiar scenario: The Indianapolis Colts draft an woffensive lineman in the seventh round that no one has ever heard of.

Only, this does not refer to Denzelle Good, who was the Colts’ seventh-round choice on Saturday out of Mars Hill University.

It also applies to Ulrick John, the Colts’ 2014 seventhround pick, who has yet to see the field but now has high hopes of making an impact.

John suffered a broken ankle in the first week of training camp last season, winding up on injured reserve and missing his rookie campaign.

Now, he’s back and hoping to compete for at least a backup spot on an offensive line that last season featured 11 different starting combinations.

“As long as I can come in and show I can compete, I can give myself a shot to maybe not start, but be a key backup,” said John, a Georgia State product. “I’m willing to go wherever. If they tell me to go out and run a route, I’m going to go run that route to the best of my ability. It may not be fast, but I’m going to get there.”

That’s not likely to happen. But the Colts will certainly test John at tackle. And he has given himself more of a chance to be physically ready for the challenge after spending his injured season improving his physique.

“I went from 290 (pounds) when I first showed up the first day to 310 now,” John said. “I feel a lot better than I ever have. I’m really happy this way. When I was in college, I really struggled putting weight on. I think the highest I ever got to was 300, and that was after eating a huge meal. And I still had my shoes on and all my clothes on when I weighed myself.”

John also remained diligent in the classroom while rehabbing his injury.

“I think my football smarts (developed),” he said. “Even though I was injured, I still went to meetings every single day throughout the season. I would just sit in there and learn everything, from how we game plan to learning all the plays and everything. Even though I was injured, (General Manager) Ryan Grigson told me that maybe it was a blessing in disguise.”

Nicely written post Brent. Anytime Brent writes something SW1 has to take a look at it because #1 I know it's going to be detailed & well thought out & #2 Brent doesn't usually start a ton of threads so when I notice something composed by him I must click on the thread immediately. 

A piece like this one is good for me to read because it reminds me that Grigs is committed to protecting Luck & I am a sucker for guys who overcome injuries & work their tails off. 

Lastly, the thing I really respect about Brent is this: You can tell he played football as a young man & he can separate meaningless nonsense from what really matters in the trenches. Not every poster has that skill due to hands on experience & football savvy but Brent knows what the hades he's talking about & I trust his instincts implicitly or absolutely. His hunches you can take to the bank when it comes to NFL X's & O's trust me. 

Off topic: Now, I need to go & find out if Jvan wrote a thread about his day 2 NFL Draft experience. I'm looking forward to reading about Jvan's impressions about our picks too & whether he ate deep dish pizza or not. I'm weird that way. I wanna know everything about a live trip to the draft. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the exhibits you walked thru, the food you ate, the pictures you took, I wanna be transported there like I was your Windy City co-pilot. LOL! 

Yeah, the team stresses that.  Reitz and Mewhort can both play G or T pretty well.  The way our O line keeps changing, it's a necessity to be versatile.

Let's hope we can stick with the same starting lineup for a lot of the season this year though.

Staying healthy is huge too as we know.  With a couple of rookies already tearing ACLs.....we cannot afford to have anyone hurt.

Off topic: Now, I need to go & find out if Jvan wrote a thread about his day 2 NFL Draft experience. I'm looking forward to reading about Jvan's impressions about our picks too & whether he ate deep dish pizza or not. I'm weird that way. I wanna know everything about a live trip to the draft. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the exhibits you walked thru, the food you ate, the pictures you took, I wanna be transported there like I was your Windy City co-pilot. LOL! 

That would be a good read SW.  Have to include how much alcohol he drank too after he says Duron Carter is the best receiver on the team :)  Just kidding of course...:)

Nicely written post Brent. Anytime Brent writes something SW1 has to take a look at it because #1 I know it's going to be detailed & well thought out & #2 Brent doesn't usually start a ton of threads so when I notice something composed by him I must click on the thread immediately. 

A piece like this one is good for me to read because it reminds me that Grigs is committed to protecting Luck & I am a sucker for guys who overcome injuries & work their tails off. 

Lastly, the thing I really respect about Brent is this: You can tell he played football as a young man & he can separate meaningless nonsense from what really matters in the trenches. Not every poster has that skill due to hands on experience & football savvy but Brent knows what the hades he's talking about & I trust his instincts implicitly or absolutely. His hunches you can take to the bank when it comes to NFL X's & O's trust me. 

gag

I agree brent MC11 knows his stuff and I enjoy reading his posts as well.  That being said, you realize that in the post you quoted the only thing BrentMC11 wrote was, "Mods, feel free to make this a link...short article by Stephen Holder.  I think the kid has a chance!"

And I agree with Brent, I think U. John will be the primary back-up at both tackle spots this year.  From everything I've read about him his technique and movement is flawless, he just lacked strength last year to compete at the NFL level.  If he gets that strength, even if it's on the low end of NFL level then he could be good.