Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets Say We Lose #1 Pick. Andrew Luck Is Gone Regardless...who Do We Pick Up?

RG3 and Claiborne are considered. However im not sure their worth a 2. Blackmon is not worth a 2nd overall if you ask me. Hes good, but no Calvin Johnson. Plus Manning doesn't need a receiver picked that high. He works well with Tamme, Garcon and Collie. Take a receiver/TE in 2nd or later. So hes out. RB don't even consider until round 4 or later. There is Couples but again at 2? and finally Kalil, who is worth the 2nd however at a position where we are set at so he is out as well.

So with that we might as well trade down. Im sticking with the guy ive talked about for a while now. David Decastro.This would allow us to entertain trade offers from 15 down to pick up more picks in the trade. Plus we get an All Pro caliber at a position of need, from day 1. He dominates the game more then any of the previous players mentioned. Slides out of the top 10 only because of his position. He completes the Oline which improves the run game and pass protection. Peyton would like that much better then another receiver i'd think.

Defense with next couple of picks (2 2nds after trade). Lots of options for them here. Could be quality DEs, CBs, LBs, and SS (Barron). What they do here is what makes or breaks the draft. I believe Decastro is even more of a sure thing the Luck so we know were good there. But they must do their homework on the early 2nd prospects.

late 1st early 2nd prospects colts should look at:

Curry, Mercilus, Ingram, Branch at DE.

Poe, Ta'amu at DT

Kirkpatrick(doubt he slides), Dennard, Jenkins, Gilmore, Minnifield, Hosley at CB. Loaded, I know.

Barron, Mcdonald at SS

Lavonte David at WLB

Teo' at MLB (If he slides out of the first there should be no hesitation in picking him)

Decastro plus any 2 of those players and Fleener in the 3rd would be an excellent start to the draft.

Decastro plus any 2 of those players and Fleener in the 3rd would be an excellent start to the draft.

Is Fleener really expected to be around that long? I was going to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts draft a tight end high if they see somebody like Gronkowski out there. Look what he does for the Patriots offense! I think that Dallas has lost a little something and Tamme isn't in the same class. Fleener is almost as big as Gronkowski, and is obviously a terrific receiver.

A lot depends on whether they resign Wayne and/or Mathis. Those are both positions best filled by a high draft pick.

So yes, a guard, a tight end, a cornerback or two, and perhaps another DT or DE or WR if the right one comes along (and Wayne/Mathis are gone). A QB ONLY if Peyton's health justifies it, and the "right one" is there. If they can trade down without losing anything (because of the relative positional values and other teams projected needs) all the better.

RG3 and Claiborne are considered. However im not sure their worth a 2. Blackmon is not worth a 2nd overall if you ask me. Hes good, but no Calvin Johnson. Plus Manning doesn't need a receiver picked that high. He works well with Tamme, Garcon and Collie. Take a receiver/TE in 2nd or later. So hes out. RB don't even consider until round 4 or later. There is Couples but again at 2? and finally Kalil, who is worth the 2nd however at a position where we are set at so he is out as well.

So with that we might as well trade down. Im sticking with the guy ive talked about for a while now. David Decastro.This would allow us to entertain trade offers from 15 down to pick up more picks in the trade. Plus we get an All Pro caliber at a position of need, from day 1. He dominates the game more then any of the previous players mentioned. Slides out of the top 10 only because of his position. He completes the Oline which improves the run game and pass protection. Peyton would like that much better then another receiver i'd think.

Defense with next couple of picks (2 2nds after trade). Lots of options for them here. Could be quality DEs, CBs, LBs, and SS (Barron). What they do here is what makes or breaks the draft. I believe Decastro is even more of a sure thing the Luck so we know were good there. But they must do their homework on the early 2nd prospects.

Poe, Ta'amu at DT

Kirkpatrick(doubt he slides), Dennard, Jenkins, Gilmore, Minnifield, Hosley at CB. Loaded, I know.

Barron, Mcdonald at SS

Lavonte David at WLB

Teo' at MLB (If he slides out of the first there should be no hesitation in picking him)

Teo and McDonald are both going back to school...and because of McDonald and Armstrong both going back to school, Barron will probably go higher than he should, although if he's there at 33, it would be hard not to take him!

I would also really like to have DeCastro on this team...he's at a position of need and i think can be the next Logan Mankins at the OG spot

The Colts have not had a Pac 10 or Big 12 player ever as a first round pick under Polian - we have had Big East (Freeney, Donald Brown), SEC (Peyton, Addai, Ugoh since we gave up a round 1 pick), MWAC (Jerry Hughes, Rob Morris), ACC (Edge, Wayne, Castanzo) and Big 10 (Marlin Jackson, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez).

So, it is very likely that it is Morris Claiborne, CB from LSU if we do not pick Andrew Luck, who by virtue of being the consensus No.1 pick, will also be Polian's first Pac 10 first round pick. The last time we got a QB from Stanford, John Elway, he wanted out of here. I do not see us losing draft picks and moving up to get Luck. If historical destiny is any indication, we lose the No.1 pick :). We love LSU guys - Addai, Booger, Nevis to name a few ipb-smile.png.

Heck, if we are confident he will be there at No.4 and are confident Peyton will be back, we might trade down to No.4 from No.2 for anyone that wants Matt Kalil, a franchise left tackle that the Vikings would love their hands on, and then get an extra pick and still get Morris Claiborne.

The Colts have not had a Pac 10 or Big 12 player ever as a first round pick under Polian - we have had Big East (Freeney, Donald Brown), SEC (Peyton, Addai, Ugoh since we gave up a round 1 pick), MWAC (Jerry Hughes, Rob Morris), ACC (Edge, Wayne, Castanzo) and Big 10 (Marlin Jackson, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez).

So, it is very likely that it is Morris Claiborne, CB from LSU if we do not pick Andrew Luck, who by virtue of being the consensus No.1 pick, will also be Polian's first Pac 10 first round pick. The last time we got a QB from Stanford, John Elway, he wanted out of here. I do not see us losing draft picks and moving up to get Luck. If historical destiny is any indication, we lose the No.1 pick :). We love LSU guys - Addai, Booger, Nevis to name a few ipb-smile.png.

Heck, if we are confident he will be there at No.4 and are confident Peyton will be back, we might trade down to No.4 from No.2 for anyone that wants Matt Kalil, a franchise left tackle that the Vikings would love their hands on, and then get an extra pick and still get Morris Claiborne.

If we're at #2 overall we should definitely keep that option open.... there are several teams who need a LT.

Is Fleener really expected to be around that long? I was going to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts draft a tight end high if they see somebody like Gronkowski out there. Look what he does for the Patriots offense! I think that Dallas has lost a little something and Tamme isn't in the same class. Fleener is almost as big as Gronkowski, and is obviously a terrific receiver.

He is projected 2-3 but he is a TE so could slide and we have the 1st pick in the 3rd so hopefully he will still be there with that pick. Tamme would be a solid #2 TE. Especially with Fleener, who can block and catch as the number 1.

its gonna be really interesting to see who we pick up. Weve never had a pick this early in the draft to pick such a high profile player...

The smarter thing to do would be to trade for more picks though. We have to take advantage of having an erly pick to get more out of it. Look at what the Texans have done with their team after all those top 5 picks the past few years. All they need is a quarterback that will spark the whole team and they will be undefeated...

Hey, the Saints' secondary reminds everyone why passing the ball and stopping the pass is important in this league. Pass rush is one element of stopping the pass, secondary play is the other.

Saints' draft picks - 2008 round 2 early pick Tracy Porter, 2009 round 1 pick Malcolm Jenkins, 2010 round 1 pick Patrick Robinson, 2011 round 3 pick Johnny Patrick - all of those were flying around in the MNF game vs the Falcons tonight. It is time to stop ignoring our secondary and provide some serious infusion of talent, IMO.

Morris Claiborne, go read my thread for the reason why.

Yep, read that and I totally agree. If you have to generate extra pressure with an extra rusher against elite QBs, you need the secondary to handle man coverages well. Rodgers, Brees and Brady will make 4 rushers outdated pretty easily.

While we are on the topic of the secondary, my question to all you college fans would be, how much of a drop off is there, in your opinion, between Claiborn and Kirkpatrick and then, between Kirkpatrick and the next batch of guys who seem to be projected in the 20-35 range.

It seems like, from the descriptions, that Kirkpatrick would fit our system perfectly. We could probably trade down to 10 or so and pick him up along with another 2 and 3, get our elite? corner and then fill in many holes.

While we are on the topic of the secondary, my question to all you college fans would be, how much of a drop off is there, in your opinion, between Claiborn and Kirkpatrick and then, between Kirkpatrick and the next batch of guys who seem to be projected in the 20-35 range.

It seems like, from the descriptions, that Kirkpatrick would fit our system perfectly. We could probably trade down to 10 or so and pick him up along with another 2 and 3, get our elite? corner and then fill in many holes.

My favorite CB for most of this college football season has been Morris Claiborne. He's played lights out and has been a playmaker for LSU. The second best guy, Dre Kirkpatrick, has been burned in coverage from what I have heard some and he isn't as NFL ready as Claiborne. I think that Claiborne could come in and start right away and play well. We need immediate help in the secondary, and the only guy that I think can do that for us in Claiborne.

If we did trade down, (1st)Claiborne, (1st)DeCastro, and (2nd)Gilmore/Minnifield. Bam, our Oline is good to go and our secondary is good to go.

Wow getting Claiborne AND DeCastro in the 1st round somehow would be a dream come true if we pulled off a trade down. Our OL would be set with adding a stud OG, and our DB core would look much better having Claiborne and Powers as our 2 starting CBs.

Wow getting Claiborne AND DeCastro in the 1st round somehow would be a dream come true if we pulled off a trade down. Our OL would be set with adding a stud OG, and our DB core would look much better having Claiborne and Powers as our 2 starting CBs.

If by some act of God, we were lucky enough to get Claiborne and DeCastro in the first round, and then Mark Barron was still there for our 2nd round pick, it would be a dream come true. We would be getting a #1 CB, a top of the line OG and the best SS in the draft...all 3 positions of need...to top it off, lets pretend that Foles is still available for our 3rd round pick...that would be an awesome draft, in my opinion

RG3? an explosive runningback? WR Justin Blackmon? CB Morris Claiborne? What do you think?

We see if we can give our 2nd rounder to the Rams so they can get Kalil like they wanted with our #2 pick. And if they don't listen.. then we take Kalil and stick with Peyton's last 3 years with extra protection to spite them.

Khalil would be the next best player available, although I would personally love to get Claiborne. This draft is a very strong draft for DBs however, so it is likely we could hold off CB in the first and still find real value in the second and third with guys like Chase Minnefield, Jayron Hoseley, Cliff Harris, etc. FSU's Xavier Rhodes might enter the 2012 draft and you have to figure his draft stock rose considerably after his performance in the Champs Sports Bowl where he held Michael Floyd to just one catch on six targets for just 8 yards, prior to him having to leave the game early. He was able to play very physical with Floyd, and at 6'2 there are few defensive backs in the NCAA that possess such a cobination of size and coverage abilities.

There are no DTs worthy of a second pick, but with the 33rd overall, it is conceivable that MSU's Jerel Worthy, Miss State's Fletcher Cox or Clemson's Brandon Thomas could still be on the board. Cox was a monster against Wake Forrest yesterday, filling running lanes, pressuring the quaterback, and even blocking field goals. Hurricane's Marcus Forsten is leaving school early as well and could be available in the 3rd.

It is unrealistic to assume we can fill our teams needs in just one NFL draft, and if Reggie leaves, that is a void that may have to be addressed next year. But there is still plenty of sleeper potential available in later rounds for this position,

Poe, Ta'amu at DT

Barron, Mcdonald at SS

Lavonte David at WLB

I'm liking Decastro more each day.I think he'll be an impact player!I would trade down just to draft him as well(if we get #2 overall).I think he has H.O.F potential for his position.