Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeflateGate: Brady suspension expected (mega merge / updated)

HtownColt

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its pretty obvious McNally couldn't stand Brady. They clearly had a relationship of some kind. Stop being naive

I don't necessarily see that as incontrovertible. 

To me, Jastermski seemed like the go-between there. McNally did obviously have some hate for Brady but that's probably because he got blasted more than once via Jastremski. Nothing I read indicated to me that Brady had any sort of direct relationship with McNally. And it's very common for players to get gifts and perks for the low-paid team employees. 

Mind you, I don't think that changes a thing in terms of who knew what and when. Brady still had to know what was going on. I mean, I have front-line employees at my company and as much as I hate to admit it I don't know all their names. And here it's only like 40 people. McNally only worked game days, so he wasn't around the stadium during the week like Jastremski was. 

Yeah?

"That same Monday, Jastremski spoke to McNally on the phone five times for a total of 58 minutes. It’s also worth noting that Jastremski had bragged to family members about Brady autographing the football with which he had eclipsed the 50,000-yard passing mark earlier that season and bequeathing it to him. "

http://www.newsweek.com/how-tom-bradys-deflate-gate-conspiracy-blew-soft-balls-and-damning-texts-329419

That fact was disputed, however, as both a Patriots.com article and a Brady WEEI interview revealed the milestone-setting ball is on display in the Patriots Hall of Fame. Jastremski changed his tune when interviewed by investigators, instead saying the ball he received was used during the game but not on the play in question.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/05/wells-report-tom-brady-gave-patriots-employees-autographs-gifts/

Not if you read the report. As Dynasty already said and I quote, "First, it sounds mostly like Jastremsky is the one who talks to Brady, NOT McNally. When talking about the gifts, McNally was telling Jastremsky what shoe size he would want. That leads me to believe that Jastremsky is the 'middle man' in the communication. So when people say Brady lied about not knowing McNally...that may be true and he may only have really had a relationship with Jastremsky. And as has been mentioned, it is common practice for players to give the equipment guys gifts and autographs etc...so making the point that Brady is paying these guys for their silence is not fair or accurate.The text messages make it clear that McNally was feeling no love from Brady for all his hard work ...."

As I've mentioned before, why don't YOU read the report.  This is directly from the report.  Spin it!!

According to Jastremski, while complaining about the balls on the sidelines during the (Jets) game,

Brady made a comment about McNally and referred to the testing of the game balls by the game

officials prior to the game. Jastremski explained that Brady “knows that Jim is the referees

locker room attendant,” and recalls that Brady said something like, “isn‟t he in there to make

sure the balls are staying where they should be?”

When asked specifically whether he (Tom Brady) had spoken with Jastremski about McNally

on the night of the Jets game, he stated: “I didn‟t know who Jim McNally was so I find it hard to

believe I could bring that up.” On this point, Brady‟s statement is inconsistent with Jastremski‟s

statements that Brady knew McNally and made a comment about McNally during the Jets game

when complaining about the game balls.

So while Brady 'talks to" Jastremski, that doesn't mean he doesn't know who McNally is.

As I've mentioned before, why don't YOU read the report.  This is directly from the report.  Spin it!!

According to Jastremski, while complaining about the balls on the sidelines during the game,

Brady made a comment about McNally and referred to the testing of the game balls by the game

officials prior to the game. Jastremski explained that Brady “knows that Jim is the referees

locker room attendant,” and recalls that Brady said something like, “isn‟t he in there to make

sure the balls are staying where they should be?”

When asked specifically whether he had spoken with Jastremski about McNally

on the night of the Jets game, he stated: “I didn‟t know who Jim McNally was so I find it hard to

believe I could bring that up.” On this point, Brady‟s statement is inconsistent with Jastremski‟s

statements that Brady knew McNally and made a comment about McNally during the Jets game

when complaining about the game balls.

So while Brady 'talks to" Jastremski, that doesn't mean he doesn't know who McNally is.

Yes, there is an inconsistently there. Of course that game was back in October so perhaps one of them has the conversation incorrect. I don't think there is any question though that Brady's main line of comm was Jastremski.

Yes, there is an inconsistently there. Of course that game was back in October so perhaps one of them has the conversation incorrect. I don't think there is any question though that Brady's main line of comm was Jastremski.

Yeah, we know who the whole non Northeast world thinks that person is...

Here's something to think about regarding Tom Brady and his assurance making Super Bowl 49. We all know how tough it is for any NFL team to appear in Super Bowls. With that said, IMO, I believe that Tom wanted this so badly that he was willing to do just about anything to make this happen within his power. He wanted to cement his legacy considering his age. You never know if you'll get back to another Championship Game and/or Super Bowl. I really think he came to a realization that this may never happen again for him.

So, he's looking at the opportunity to adjust the ball pressure the way he likes it. Legal or not. He's got that control before the AFCCG against our Colts. Not hard to set up at all and in his mind a very real and do-able thing since this doesn't get much attention before now. He's correlates and gets things "right" for throwing the footballs to his suitability. In my mind, he does not have to do this. In his, yeah, I'll take anything I can to make it to Super Bowl 49.

He's looking at going 3-3 after the AFCCG or 4-2 in Super Bowls. The Pats blow out the Colts. No doubt in my mind they win regardless of DeflateGate. So, he's where he needs to be in his mind now. I'm at another Super Bowl, 6 of them now. Win or lose, I believe in his mind that this would give the out and out credibility that he feels he deserves as an elite QB with 6 Super Bowl appearances.

Did he want it this badly that he was willing to do anything in his power to make it happen? Considering everything that has come to light? Yeah, I'd be willing to say that. This is just IMHO ONLY!

Would like to see what the rest of the forum sees concerning Tom Brady's reasoning for under-inflating footballs.

As soon as Anderson lost track of the game footballs, they should have been ordered to re-check the pressures in the balls, especially after Grigson's direct email that they were being deflated AFTER the initial check...that we agree with. It would have eliminated any kind of grey area when it comes to this investigation. I think the Colts and their fans are furious that the league let "non-regulation" footballs on the field in our biggest game of the year. I think the Colts and their fans are furious that the league started checking the footballs during and after halftime, while still letting the game play out.

etc. etc. etc.

Three things:

1) I think it's best if we speak for ourselves. As a Colts fan, I'm not "furious" about any of this.

2) The way the refs and the league handled the situation doesn't bother me at all. The league gets complaints about competitive stuff all the time. They can't go chasing after every one of them. Once they had material evidence that seemed to lend credence to the specific complaint, they acted on it.

And as far as the refs not rechecking the footballs prior to the game starting, there really wasn't time to do so. McNally didn't take the balls until right before kickoff. In a perfect world, I think maybe Anderson goes back for the backup balls, but to that point, those had been left unattended also. It was a frantic situation, and while it probably could have been handled better, it's not the league's or the refs' fault that the Patriots cheated. 

End of the day, the way they handled it basically gave the Pats just enough rope to hang themselves. They got caught redhanded. 

3) If you really think the league is going to take just 48 hours to hand out punishment on this, you're crazier than a Jim Carrey blooper reel. It will probably be weeks.

Three things:

1) I think it's best if we speak for ourselves. As a Colts fan, I'm not "furious" about any of this.

2) The way the refs and the league handled the situation doesn't bother me at all. The league gets complaints about competitive stuff all the time. They can't go chasing after every one of them. Once they had material evidence that seemed to lend credence to the specific complaint, they acted on it.

And as far as the refs not rechecking the footballs prior to the game starting, there really wasn't time to do so. McNally didn't take the balls until right before kickoff. In a perfect world, I think maybe Anderson goes back for the backup balls, but to that point, those had been left unattended also. It was a frantic situation, and while it probably could have been handled better, it's not the league's or the refs' fault that the Patriots cheated. 

End of the day, the way they handled it basically gave the Pats just enough rope to hang themselves. They got caught redhanded. 

3) If you really think the league is going to take just 48 hours to hand out punishment on this, you're crazier than a Jim Carrey blooper reel. It will probably be weeks.

Well said

Three things:

I don't know if it'll be weeks per se, but it'll be a few days. Mainly because it's turning out that this was not an isolated incident. This is going back a long time, possibly years. Plus the lying, the prior notice to stop tampreing with balls in 2004, the obstruction of the investigation(not so much Brady and the phone, but the organization), being repeat offenders. Also remember with the Falcons and Browns incidents, those teams admitted to the wrong doing so it was easy to lay out the punishment. There are many more layers here.

I don't know if it'll be weeks per se, but it'll be a few days. Mainly because it's turning out that this was not an isolated incident. This is going back a long time, possibly years. Plus the lying, the prior notice to stop tampreing with balls in 2004, the obstruction of the investigation(not so much Brady and the phone, but the organization), being repeat offenders. Also remember with the Falcons and Browns incidents, those teams admitted to the wrong doing so it was easy to lay out the punishment. There are many more layers here.

The Falcons and Browns admitted to wrongdoing, and it still took at least a couple months for the NFL to determine punishment. If there's going to be a player suspension -- I'm not sure there will be -- then I think the league will move as quickly as they can, but I don't see anything being done before the end of the month. JMO. I could be totally wrong.

For what it's worth.....   this morning on ESPN,  Bill Polian dropped this gem.....

That he has now read the full Wells Report TWICE....  every page....   and uncovered this...

Beyond just that Brady didn't cooperate with turning over his phone so they could check text records and such....   that McNally, one of the two guys that's in question with Brady,  was interviewed once,  and the investigators wanted to interview him a 2nd time.

They asked the Colts to produce McNally at a time, date and place that would be convenient for him and the Patriots.   And the lawyers for New England refused.

That's NOT going to help.

So much for cooperation.....

Remember this if/when the hammer gets dropped on the franchise and the player.......

Just sayin.....

They asked the Colts to produce McNally at a time, date and place that would be convenient for him and the Patriots.   And the lawyers for New England refused.

You mean they asked the PATS?

Three things:

I said "Colts fans", not all Colts fans. Somebody in the Colts mmanagement were obviously miffed enough to give the story to the Star and letting Kravitz run with it.

They could have went with the backup balls or they could have postponed kickoff long enough to at least quickly check the validity of those footballs, especially after Walt had the footballs go missing.

It seems to me that the league was not interested in "ensuring a level playing field" or persuing this until the Star ran the story. At this point they were more concerned about protecting their own reputation then they were about protecting the integrity of the game.

Kickoff was already postponed once because the NFCCG went into overtime. Checking two or three of the Pats footballs before kickoff would have clearly indicated if tampering was involved. If those two footballs have changed pressure, postpone long enough for the rest of the balls to be checked. The league failed because they allowed a championship game to continue without addressing the concerns of Grigson or head referee Walt Anderson.

Not saying the league or Anderson are to blame for this happening. But they handled it very poorly throughout the process. If pressures were checked before kickoff, after McNally showed up on the field with the balls, then the NFL and their investigators would have a MUCH clearer picture of whether the balls were tampered with.

If a police officer suspects a driver of DUI, he is going to do breathalyzer tests or field sobriety tests right then and there. Testing the pressures of the ball at halftime subjected them to weather, etc....That is like the officer showing up at the driver's residence the next day and asking for the sobriety tests. If there were any concerns before kickoff, they should have addressed the concerns without allowing the game to start. If there were any concerns at halftime, they could have extended the halftime break long enough to address these concerns.

Like you said, the league let the Pats hang themselves with this one. But I am convinced that the league would have done nothing if Kravitz never broke the story. Wells would have never been involved and it wouldnt be such a big story...because the NFL never WANTED this to be a story. To me, that much is crystal clear...and I am not the only one to see it. Shame the integrity of our AFCCG had to be compromised before the Pats were "caught redhanded". It appears the NFL had plenty of opportunities to address this without compromising the game.

It shows that revenue generated by the game is more valuable then the integrity itself. Thats what I have a problem with.

Three things:

Yeah ... I'm not furious about anything here either. I'm really not. But  what ticks me off is they probably have been doing this for years and it may have cost us a home field advantage or a match up vs a team other the Pats. Bottom line is it could have resulted in the Colts going further in the post season than we did. Not saying on a regular basis just saying could have affected a post season or two.

Take just this year. No doubt ball inflation had nothing to do with us being beaten in the AFCCG. But how about the thought that a more inflated ball bounces a little "crazier " in that NE  Balt divisional game. They fumbled 3 times and the ball bounced right back to them. Plus maybe Brady makes a more errant throw or two with a harder ball. Not crazy to say we could have been playing Balt at home instead of getting bludgeoned in NE. IMO it's more believable that these diehards claiming an independent company was directed by the NFL to slant it's report in order to frame Brady. Why in the world would Goodall want to tarnish Brady or wreck havoc on his friend R Kraft ?

For what it's worth.....   this morning on ESPN,  Bill Polian dropped this gem.....

That he has now read the full Wells Report TWICE....  every page....   and uncovered this...

Beyond just that Brady didn't cooperate with turning over his phone so they could check text records and such....   that McNally, one of the two guys that's in question with Brady,  was interviewed once,  and the investigators wanted to interview him a 2nd time.

Remember this if/when the hammer gets dropped on the franchise and the player.......

Just sayin.....

yeah, plus it's good hearing an opinion from someone who has served on the competition committee and on how the league my view this.  He seemed to think the Patriots would be dealt with pretty severely based on the fact that, not only was their a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules, but that Brady lied and wasn't forthcoming, and those facts would no doubt be considered.  The lack of cooperation alone, he said, was grounds for a separate infraction and suspension.

I was visiting the Patriots planet & I swear if you did'nt no better you would think multiplicity is a real phenomena everyone sounds just like am .

Lots of hate to go around on that site , They sound like drunken sailors there vitriol intense looking to blame the messenger .

Very few intelligent posts out side of the fanatical ..

I can count on 1 hand those that at least applied common sense .

I would caution all Pats fans to read through the entire thing before picking any single portion out & concluding the whole thing is nonsense based on that 1 portion. I've read through it all and imo Brady was in on it and had been orchestrating lower pressure in his footballs for a while. His 2 stooges did him no favors by throwing him under the bus with their dimwitted texts implicating him but no logical person can read through that and come away thinking Brady is innocent.

I expect at least a fine for Brady but more than likely a suspension not so much for the deflation as much as for lying about it to Wells and to NFL fans in his presser and for not cooperating fully. If there's 1 thing we've learned about Goodell, he doesn't like to be crossed. If the 2 stooges had only 'lost' their phones...

At least Kraft and Belichick were totally exonerated. I don't expect they're very happy with TB either right now.

I know I'm not.

I found 2 that I could share  there was a lot of cussing in the other one the writer was mad but similar to this one .

I actually went thru the first 20 pages of there mega thread saw no point to continue any further ..

But I am convinced that the league would have done nothing if Kravitz never broke the story. 

You said you're convinced of this, so I doubt that my response is going to matter much, but...

The league was investigating this. That's the story Kravitz broke. He didn't figure out that the Pats had tampered with the balls; he was told that the league was investigating the Pats for tampering with the balls. The league had already done something. If you read the report about the onsite league reps -- Riveron, etc. -- they pounced on this just as soon as they realized something was going on.

My viewpoint is that the Colts asked the league to get on this. Once the league saw that there was actually something to it -- which was in the very next game after they received the Colts' email -- they got on it. By letting events play out without interference, they were able to uncover blatant cheating by the Patriots, and now, a picture is painted of this being something that has been happening for a while now.

It doesn't bother me that we played the first half with the deflated footballs. It bothers me that McNally stole the balls, sneaked into the bathroom with them, let air out of them, and then took them out to the field. It bothers me that he evidently did this in cooperation with Jastremski, likely on multiple occasions. And it bothers me that he likely did this at the behest of Tom Brady. That's it. The blame is easily contained in this situation, and it falls directly on those three. Not the league. Not the refs. Certainly not the Colts. 

This is just not about Tom Brady.

This is about entire Patriots offense and how the running backs have lesser fumbles. This is way bigger.

Hey, Shane Bond, do you really think the entire New England offense was privy to Brady's antics of under-inflating footballs? If this turns out to be the case (would need another investigation and much larger one), that would in all likelihood be the story of the last two centuries concerning the NFL. Wow. What a statement. Yeah, that would be "way bigger" on a nuclear explosion level so to speak.

Just sayin.....

That is not true. NFL investigators interview McNally three times. Those interviews are in the report. Then Wells interviewed him. When Wells came back for another interview Kraft said no as he felt allowing a fifth interview was well beyond cooperating ...

I was visiting the Patriots planet & I swear if you did'nt no better you would think multiplicity is a real phenomena everyone sounds just like am .

Lots of hate to go around on that site , They sound like drunken sailors there vitriol intense looking to blame the messenger .

Very few intelligent posts out side of the fanatical ..

I can count on 1 hand those that at least applied common sense .

I found 2 that I could share  there was a lot of cussing in the other one the writer was mad but similar to this one .

I actually went thru the first 20 pages of there mega thread saw no point to continue any further ..

FYI - I think it is against the rules to post other forums content here ...

Hey, Shane Bond, do you really think the entire New England offense was privy to Brady's antics of under-inflating footballs? If this turns out to be the case (would need another investigation and much larger one), that would in all likelihood be the story of the last two centuries concerning the NFL. Wow. What a statement. Yeah, that would be "way bigger" on a nuclear explosion level so to speak.

I'm of the thinking of "how could they NOT know?"

That is not true. NFL investigators interview McNally three times. Those interviews are in the report. Then Wells interviewed him. When Wells came back for another interview Kraft said no as he felt allowing a fifth interview was well beyond cooperating ...

Its not up to Kraft to decide what is beyond cooperating. The fact is Wells had more questions and was denied access to the employee. That isn't fully cooperating. That will be taken into consideration when the punishment is handed out

Assuming you're right,  I don't think the team/owner/lawyers get to make that call...

Its not up to Kraft to decide what is beyond cooperating. The fact is Wells had more questions and was denied access to the employee. That isn't fully cooperating. That will be taken into consideration when the punishment is handed out

lol. The league can feel however they want. But 4 interviews is plenty.

lol. The league can feel however they want. But 4 interviews is plenty.

he was interviewed before Brady was. Brady said he didn't know who he was. Clearly he needed to be asked more questions. That's how investigations work. The further along they go, more questions need answers