Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elite offense or elite defense?

RockThatBlue

Elite Defense (with one caviat...) PLUS an elite QB to make all the other bums on offense look alright...

And, personally, I want an elite secondary that lets nothing get by it.

I love Manning and watching him was entertaining, but I'd rather win every game 3-0, and I mean EVERY game. 19-0, greatest Defense ever, Ball control "don't lose the game" offense, Spot in history earned.

We are talking pipe-dreams here right? ...

Elite Defense (with one caviat...) PLUS an elite QB to make all the other bums on offense look alright...

And, personally, I want an elite secondary that lets nothing get by it.

I love Manning and watching him was entertaining, but I'd rather win every game 3-0, and I mean EVERY game. 19-0, greatest Defense ever, Ball control "don't lose the game" offense, Spot in history earned.

We are talking pipe-dreams here right? ...

This is why I loath the drafting of offensive skill positions in the first round. Give the elite QB an offensive line and the offense falls in place.

This is why I loath the drafting of offensive skill positions in the first round. Give the elite QB an offensive line and the offense falls in place.

Build from the inside out has always been the formula for success. Especially when you have Luck. If he has time, he can make average receivers successful. Without time his elite weapons become nullified.

Defense wins championships, maybe that's why for all but a few years in the 90's we have only had great offenses when we had good teams.The Bert Jones teams of the 70's and then the Peyton teams and now the Andrew teams. In the late 80's the defense was pretty good and we had Dickerson and Bently but again just not good enough I guess. 42 years of coming up short. Maybe what else is needed is a guy with a video camera and deflated footballs!

I think this is a slam dunk, elite defense all the way.

The 2 times the #1 offense met the #1 defense, the #1 offense got decimated (2002 Raiders vs Bucs, 2013 Broncos vs Seahawks). Besides, the #1 passing offense has never won a SB (2007 Patriots, 2013 Broncos etc.) I am taking defense all the way if it is an "or" situation. :)

You can have a good opportunistic offense that does not have to score much if you have that elite defense. That gives you the luxury of not having to force the issue on offense and stay patient and sooner or later, the offensive opportunities will present themselves. Plus, it also gives the offense a little room for error should your QB make a mistake or two and against playoff Ds, it is bound to happen. Not to mention, a defense can flip field position with turnovers to help the offense out to score points. 

I think you are right.  Its why Peyton dosnt have multiple rings.  Colts D stunk throughout his years

Defense wins championships, maybe that's why for all but a few years in the 90's we have only had great offenses when we had good teams.The Bert Jones teams of the 70's and then the Peyton teams and now the Andrew teams. In the late 80's the defense was pretty good and we had Dickerson and Bently but again just not good enough I guess. 42 years of coming up short. Maybe what else is needed is a guy with a video camera and deflated footballs!

Well rounded teams win championships

Defense wins championships.

Remember in 2006 when the Colts defense finally shows up in the playoffs and we're playing lights out? Remember what happened..

Yep. I remember so many people thinking Manning and that number one offense was going to "shut Sherman up" and then the crap hit the fan. A great defense goes a long way.

Pats defense was not elite. It was very good but far from elite especially the run defense. The Pats won largely based on Brady and the offense as Brady threw 50 times in both the Ravens and Seattle games and was the first QB in SB history to ever win attempting 50 passes. Based on this, I would say defense first but honestly just give me an elite QB every time ...

Well what about the first 3 SBs his defense won, particularly that 1 SB whose last play was an int in the Pat's endzone? O my mistake...4 SBs his defense won.

Defense.

There is no stopping an elite defense. We've seen countless elite offenses get embarrassed against good defenses. It happens less and less every year because of the rules but it still happens when a truly elite defense comes together.

And from the pov of a well rounded team winning SBs, I'd still pick defense first. Good defenses can win games with the help of mediocre offenses, but it rarely works the other way around.

The "defense wins championships" mantra is generally false.  Both good offenses and good defenses have won nearly equal amounts of SB's.  It really just depends which team is 'clicking' during that game.

This is an older post, but it still has the same effect: 

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-super-bowl/2012/1/31/2756651/stats-new-england-patriots-new-york-giants-xlvi