Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keeping A Fullback?

ConBro

So this year, especially the past 2 games, we have had great success running the football. During Thursday night's broadcast, the commentators discussed how Indy has been using a two-back set more this season. As we don't usually utilize a fullback in out playbooks until this year, do you guys think we will keep one for next season? I hope so!

From the way Polian was talking on his show a couple of weeks ago when he was asked this very question it sounds like they are planning on it. I would look for the commitment to the run to keep going even after this season is over regardless of who the QB is next year. The line has been rebuilt to be more of a run blocking team, three fairly good backs (two of which are former first round picks) and now a fullback it's clear what the Colts are trying to build on offense. With the turnover we could have at WR next year not shocking to see this.

I would like to see us start using a FB....as long as that FB is not Gijon "Can't catch can't run can't block" Robinson Mahaffey (I think?) was just blocking the tar out of people and it was great to see. Carter and Brown really like to run behind a FB, but Addai not so much. I'm not sure what Peyton's stance is on it.

Yeah I definitely hope we keep at least one of them and I wouldn't be upset to see them keep both Felton and Mahaffey. Both have blocked very well and I hope they get worked more into the offense. I really think that running more downhill type runs and especially adding the fullback is what has helped Brown the most. I just don't think he's able to make the right reads to run the stretch play effectively.

So yeah, count me as another that loves the addition of the I formation to the Colts offense. :D

I hope we keep it too, the success on the ground is awesome. When Manning comes back, Do you guys think we will be able to balance a nice run game with manning throwing as well?

I certainly hope so-- the talking heads have been saying for years how we rely on Manning's arm too much (which I agree). Also, yes, big offensive linemen help a run game, but the fullback position is KEY as well. The bottom line-- a fullback would do nothing but help Peyton and the run game imo.

yeah we need to find a way to keep felton and mccafey, to good young full backs , we always find a way to keep alot of dead weight...gonzo, b.sanders, u get it ... need to find way to keep to productive player if injury happen to one of them we have the other

I would like to see us start using a FB....as long as that FB is not Gijon "Can't catch can't run can't block" Robinson Mahaffey (I think?) was just blocking the tar out of people and it was great to see. Carter and Brown really like to run behind a FB, but Addai not so much. I'm not sure what Peyton's stance is on it.

I noticed the same thing about Addai. He still jukes and looks for an opening even when he should be following the FB into the hole. It's a different kind of running when you have a lead blocker. I'm not sure if we should stick with FB or go back to TE and H-back like we used to run a few years back. It seems to be pretty tough to find really top notch FBs anymore. IMHO a FB should not only be a great blocker, but should be able to pick up blitzers and catch an occasional pass.

I certainly hope so-- the talking heads have been saying for years how we rely on Manning's arm too much (which I agree). Also, yes, big offensive linemen help a run game, but the fullback position is KEY as well. The bottom line-- a fullback would do nothing but help Peyton and the run game imo.

Despite the strides our O-line made this year in run blocking, we need to keep building that part of the team. I also agree we have depended on Manning too much and have to face the reality that we have to transform the offense to fit a QB who may only be good, not great and still be a winner. I like Peter Konz (WI) as a potential replacement for Saturday when he decides to hang it up. He may be one of the most dominant centers to come around in quite a few years and he can play guard until Saturday retires. If we miss on Konz, there's a center from Michigan named Malk who could be a late round steal. He's too small for most teams, but we've had decent luck with a smaller center. This kid is the Rimington Award winner this season also, so he can play.

I noticed the same thing about Addai. He still jukes and looks for an opening even when he should be following the FB into the hole. It's a different kind of running when you have a lead blocker. I'm not sure if we should stick with FB or go back to TE and H-back like we used to run a few years back. It seems to be pretty tough to find really top notch FBs anymore. IMHO a FB should not only be a great blocker, but should be able to pick up blitzers and catch an occasional pass.

Yeah I know what you mean. An H-Back is ideal for those kinds of situations; Clark is good in that role but is getting older.... with the way this offense has used a fullback this season, I wounder if they'll look for a standout in this year's draft.

I'm sure there is a way we can implement it, if I recall in 2009 vs the Ravens the Colts seemed to use alot of two TE sets and a fullback sometimes. My memory is alittle foggy but I remember them switching it up against them, not using the signle back set constantly, and utilizing two tight ends often.