Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Am I one of the few people who liked this Colts draft?

Hit me one time, Shecky......

Ba dah bum....psssht!

Come on now, you know you all can't wait to get a picture of the backs of the jerseys when he's standing next to Andrew.

i can understand the initial frustration with the Philip Dorsett pick. It was unexpected with all the Defensive talent sitting there, especially at CB/S and DT. But the kid is talented and very fast.

So putting the #1 pick aside, I thought the next three selections were terrific.

Smith was what the Dr. ordered for a CB thin team. He has a great future, and appears to be Toler's replacement.

Anderson was one of the players I hoped the Colts might take with their second pick. To get him in the 3rd round was a steal. This team needs a DE with his skill set; someone who can play solid run D while also having pass rushing ability. He also appears to have a bright future.

Geathers is my second favorite pick of the draft after Anderson. There are more than a few pundits who believe he will end up being the best Safety picked in this draft. He is an enforcer with size and talent.

Richardson was one of the RBs I hoped would drop to the Colts, and he did. He fits this team well; he is a tough one cut runner who hits the hole hard; refuses to go down, and can catch the ball.

The keys to this draft are in the four players above. If they can perform as hoped, this team just got better.

Dorsett was a luxury pick but I have no doubt he'll be electric. Look for the return game to improve immediately.

David Parry is the biggest question mark for me. For the Colts to trade up to get him shows they thought a lot of him. But he has physical limitations, and appears at first glance to be a pure run stuffer. He was a walk on; he is a leader; and an over achiever. His selection also shows that the Colts are somehow far more confident about their D-line than anyone else. I hope they're right.

I honestly hate this draft.  But admittedly, I do give in to the temptation of primarily look at drafting for need, not BPA.  Also, if I haven't heard of a player, I tend to think it's a bad pick.

I think he is certainly coachable but he takes some awful angles to the ball and is an inconsistent tackler, Nothing that cant be corrected of course but I would have picked Ibraheim Campbell or Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt over Geathers

Yeah those are the negatives, for sure. I'm worried about the angles because if he comes in shallow against ACC talent, what's he gonna do against pro talent? And he doesn't always break down and make sure tackles in the open field. Sometimes he does it perfectly, but like you said, the consistency isn't there. Both of those are coachable, but he still needs to do better before he can be considered a starter.

You didn't mention Adrian Amos or Josh Shaw. I like both of them better than any other safety prospects that were on the board.

Yeah those are the negatives, for sure. I'm worried about the angles because if he comes in shallow against ACC talent, what's he gonna do against pro talent? And he doesn't always break down and make sure tackles in the open field. Sometimes he does it perfectly, but like you said, the consistency isn't there. Both of those are coachable, but he still needs to do better before he can be considered a starter.

You didn't mention Adrian Amos or Josh Shaw. I like both of them better than any other safety prospects that were on the board.

Only 1 tape I saw on Shaw from USC and that was from 2013 so I don't think it would be right for me to give my opinion off of that.

Amos I think is a sure tackler....Does not always take a good angle to the ball and when he tackles he seems to generally receive the contact while wrapping up rather then giving it(I think he spends to much time thinking rather then reading and reacting nut he does diagnose plays well.....Doesn't trust his instincts maybe?...He certainly has the size to hit)...He struggles to get off of blocks consistently

I think this was a great draft! The scouting department and leadership maximized their yield.

Phillip Dorsett - World class speed and separation (4.27)

D'Juon Smith - Jambs, covers, tackles

Henry Anderson -  Long, strong & disciplined

Clayton Geathers - Big, bright & skilled

David Parry - Underrated & motivated

Josh Robinson - Tackle breaker & play maker

Amarlo Herrera - Run stopper with prejudice

Denzelle Good - Raw badazz

Oh, and yes, I love (WR) Dorsett as #1. Go ahead and try to bring a safety down in the box to stop Frank Gore (Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson, Varga) now. With TY on one side and Dorsett on the other, plus Johnson (Moncrief, Carter, etc.) in the package, you're going down in flames if you cheat a safety down in run support. This one pick makes defending the Colts play action a whole new ballgame. 7 against the Pats was more than good coverage, it was complete smother-age and Andre alone was NOT the answer.

I think this was a great draft! The scouting department and leadership maximized their yield.

Phillip Dorsett - World class speed and separation (4.27)

D'Juon Smith - Jambs, covers, tackles

Henry Anderson - Long, strong & disciplined

Clayton Geathers - Big, bright & skilled

Oh, and yes, I love (WR) Dorsett as #1. Go ahead and try to bring a safety down in the box to stop Frank Gore (Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson, Varga) now. With TY on one side and Dorsett on the other, plus Johnson (Moncrief, Carter, etc.) in the package, you're going down in flames if you cheat a safety down in run support. This one pick makes defending the Colts play action a whole new ballgame. 7 against the Pats was more than good coverage, it was complete smother-age and Andre alone was NOT the answer.

who is richardson?
Posted · Hidden by Superman, May 6, 2015 - dupe
Hidden by Superman, May 6, 2015 - dupe

Oh, and yes, I love (WR) Dorsett as #1. Go ahead and try to bring a safety down in the box to stop Frank Gore (Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson, Varga) now. With TY on one side and Dorsett on the other, plus Johnson (Moncrief, Carter, etc.) in the package, you're going down in flames if you cheat a safety down in run support. This one pick makes defending the Colts play action a whole new ballgame. 7 against the Pats was more than good coverage, it was complete smother-age and Andre alone was NOT the answer.

who is richardson?

who is richardson?

who is richardson?

I love this draft more and more.  I felt going in that the prevalent thought that the Colts need to grab multiple, early big DL was misguided.  I see a few players that fit the NT spot already developing on the roster, and I felt that was faulty need analysis.  And while I was frequently mocking a RT in Round 1 or Round 2, I also thought Kiper's constant "Colts need to upgrade the OL" nonsense was wrong (I was only looking for a cheap successor at one spot).  That being said, throwing aside the 1st rounder out of left field, Grigson addressed needs in a very similar fashion that I expected.  An early CB and Safety, followed by an ideal 3-4 end fit with pass rush ability.  Late round RB and ILB were exacly what I expected too. 

I think I figured out a bit more about Grigson's drafting strategy this year.  I think he is dead serious about BPA, as evident with the 1st rounder (whom I'm very excited about).  However, after the first round or two, his draft board is likely to have ten players at seven different positions in a virtual tie at the top.  In that instance, he takes the one at the biggest position of need.  Grigson mentioned that leading up to the 2nd round pick (which we traded), he was watching four or five players at three different positions.  My guess is that he had that jam at the top of the board wand was fairly indifferent about the top three players or so, so he traded down four slots and still got one of those players he was torn between.

There's a lot of talent and potential in this group of draftees.  I wasn't/am not a fan of the Dorsett selection, but only because of the position we went with, not because I am critical of Dorsett's talent.  Geathers could be very good if he learns to control his aggression and play smart instead of just running 100 miles an hour all over the place.  I think Henry Anderson could develop into a poor man's JJ Watt.  D'Joun Smith is arguably the most complete corner in the draft.  And Robinson, combined with Gore and Herron, gives us 3 power backs who love to lay out some punishment on would-be tacklers.

That sounds like a positive post........ :)

Its funny you compared Anderson to Watt......  (Even if he was the poor mans Watt)  I was watching tape on him, and thought the exact thing.... one guy cant block him.....  he is very active, and has great short burst

I think he may be the steal of this draft

Obviously not at Watts level..... yet