Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Am I one of the few people who liked this Colts draft?

Hoose

i can understand the initial frustration with the Philip Dorsett pick. It was unexpected with all the Defensive talent sitting there, especially at CB/S and DT. But the kid is talented and very fast.

So putting the #1 pick aside, I thought the next three selections were terrific.

Smith was what the Dr. ordered for a CB thin team. He has a great future, and appears to be Toler's replacement.

Anderson was one of the players I hoped the Colts might take with their second pick. To get him in the 3rd round was a steal. This team needs a DE with his skill set; someone who can play solid run D while also having pass rushing ability. He also appears to have a bright future.

Geathers is my second favorite pick of the draft after Anderson. There are more than a few pundits who believe he will end up being the best Safety picked in this draft. He is an enforcer with size and talent.

Richardson was one of the RBs I hoped would drop to the Colts, and he did. He fits this team well; he is a tough one cut runner who hits the hole hard; refuses to go down, and can catch the ball.

The keys to this draft are in the four players above. If they can perform as hoped, this team just got better.

Dorsett was a luxury pick but I have no doubt he'll be electric. Look for the return game to improve immediately.

David Parry is the biggest question mark for me. For the Colts to trade up to get him shows they thought a lot of him. But he has physical limitations, and appears at first glance to be a pure run stuffer. He was a walk on; he is a leader; and an over achiever. His selection also shows that the Colts are somehow far more confident about their D-line than anyone else. I hope they're right.

Richardson was one of the RBs I hoped would drop to the Colts, and he did. He fits this team well; he is a tough one cut runner who hits the hole hard; refuses to go down, and can catch the ball.

Let's not put a curse on the guy.

i can understand the initial frustration with the Philip Dorsett pick. It was unexpected with all the Defensive talent sitting there, especially at CB/S and DT. But the kid is talented and very fast.

So putting the #1 pick aside, I thought the next three selections were terrific.

Smith was what the Dr. ordered for a CB thin team. He has a great future, and appears to be Toler's replacement.

Anderson was one of the players I hoped the Colts might take with their second pick. To get him in the 3rd round was a steal. This team needs a DE with his skill set; someone who can play solid run D while also having pass rushing ability. He also appears to have a bright future.

Geathers is my second favorite pick of the draft after Anderson. There are more than a few pundits who believe he will end up being the best Safety picked in this draft. He is an enforcer with size and talent.

The keys to this draft are in the four players above. If they can perform as hoped, this team just got better.

Dorsett was a luxury pick but I have no doubt he'll be electric. Look for the return game to improve immediately.

David Parry is the biggest question mark for me. For the Colts to trade up to get him shows they thought a lot of him. But he has physical limitations, and appears at first glance to be a pure run stuffer. He was a walk on; he is a leader; and an over achiever. His selection also shows that the Colts are somehow far more confident about their D-line than anyone else. I hope they're right.

I liked all but the first pick, and it wasn't Dorsett i didnt like, it was the position....but I'm warming up to it more and more

I will wait until the season starts before I over react. I still think we could have grabbed defensive talent in the 1st and picked up Tyler Lockett later. But it is what it is. Can't wait for the season to start. :blueshoe:

There's a lot of talent and potential in this group of draftees.  I wasn't/am not a fan of the Dorsett selection, but only because of the position we went with, not because I am critical of Dorsett's talent.  Geathers could be very good if he learns to control his aggression and play smart instead of just running 100 miles an hour all over the place.  I think Henry Anderson could develop into a poor man's JJ Watt.  D'Joun Smith is arguably the most complete corner in the draft.  And Robinson, combined with Gore and Herron, gives us 3 power backs who love to lay out some punishment on would-be tacklers.

Didn't LOVE the draft, but I liked it.   

#1 I think Dorsett opens the passing game.  Not allowing for double coverage on a single WR which is what teams are doing to T.Y. now.

#2 Once he puts on a little weight and more muscle, Anderson is going to be a beast.  (Mark my words, he was the perfect DT scheme fit for the Colts in this draft.)

#3 Robinson will be our starter in a year or two.  Solid production player.

#4 Smith is going to be a great corner.  But he needs to learn the man-to-man scheme since he was a 'tampa 2' player.

#5 if Goode is 1/4 of the runblocker he seems he can be, he will end up making the team.  And you cannot ask for more than that out of a 7th round pick.

I liked the back-end of the draft yes.  And I still can get excited about the season. My issue will always be with the first pick.  Because it feels like we are just stuck in an endless loop of the Manning era.  How many years do you have to do the same thing and not get what you want?  Take a risk and get Brown or any defensive lineman.  Reach I don't care but at least try.  The main problem I have is I think Dorsett is going to tear it up with Luck.  In fact I know he is.  But it will still lead to the same thing losses in December and January. 

I'm of the very few, but I don't believe in drafting the strict BPA.  You draft this highest impact player in regards to your team need.  Look at model franchises (Steelers, Patriots) and they do this.  Steelers of 7 years ago were a defensive dominant team who had bad oline problems.  What did they do?  Draft oline back to back years and invested.  They have now become an offensive power house and what did they do?  Draft edge rushers and Linebackers.  Always drafting talent into the parts that need it.  The best player available at the position that needs it.  Always changing the team weakness always mitigating.  What have we done for around 16 years now?  The exact same thing.  And we were lucky we got one superbowl on it.  If Manning hadn't carried us in the regular season to the playoffs there is no way that team all of a sudden puts up an amazing defensive performance in the post season.  And like Grigon's predecessors he will be spare for years to come because Luck will do the same.  And this Dorsett pick will look like a genius move when he has like 20 something touchdowns in the regular season but we lose in the playoffs with most likely the highest rated offense in the league... again...

Sorry rant off.   Now I can go back to cheering for this team. lol

I really like the draft. Like most others, I was stunned by the Dorsett pick. It wasn't a question of his talent, but of his need. I've been an advocate this off season of adding a WR, because I did not feel our WR core was as "stacked" as people said it was. That being said, I didn't think we'd go with one in the first round especially with a lot of good need based players on the board. I was never mad, just stunned, afterall, it's fairly obvious how adding another talented speedster can further open up our passing game. Smith seems good, but there was never a lot of film I could find, so I'm kind of trusting the team on this one and I've no doubt Smith has the right attitude and cofidence. Anderson could be the steal of the draft. There were some games last year where he was just absolutely dominant, but unfortunately there were a couple others where he hardly produced at all. We'll have to wait and see which Henry Anderson we got. Like Smith, Parry is someone who I'm gonna have to trust the coaches on, and since they seemed to like him enough to trade up for him, there is plenty of room for optimism. Robinson is gonna be in a heated battle with Anderson and Dorsett for my favorite pick in this draft. He has the look of someonee who can look good in a power run scheme, but my concerns are with his pass blocking. My hope is he can develop to be well rounded, but he might end up as a role player. The other picks seem solid enough, but as late rounders I'm not too optimistic they'll find spots on the final 53, but getting the opportunity to develop on the practice squad could be a real possibility.

As it's just names and positions on paper right now I liked it as a whole. They added positions of need even if it wasn't in rounds that some wanted it. Now we have to wait and see if these guys can play which will give us the first answers to do we honestly like this draft or not.

I liked the draft, and believe we found a few difference makers.

The first pick made sense to me too. I had a board going throughout the draft and saw that we were kind of stuck. Once we reached #29, I thought we would trade back, and then Grigson pulls the trigger on Dorsett. I did not think he would do that, but I was very happy that he did.

I liked the back-end of the draft yes.  And I still can get excited about the season. My issue will always be with the first pick.  Because it feels like we are just stuck in an endless loop of the Manning era.  How many years do you have to do the same thing and not get what you want?  Take a risk and get Brown or any defensive lineman.  Reach I don't care but at least try.  The main problem I have is I think Dorsett is going to tear it up with Luck.  In fact I know he is.  But it will still lead to the same thing losses in December and January. 

I'm of the very few, but I don't believe in drafting the strict BPA.  You draft this highest impact player in regards to your team need.  Look at model franchises (Steelers, Patriots) and they do this.  Steelers of 7 years ago were a defensive dominant team who had bad oline problems.  What did they do?  Draft oline back to back years and invested.  They have now become an offensive power house and what did they do?  Draft edge rushers and Linebackers.  Always drafting talent into the parts that need it.  The best player available at the position that needs it.  Always changing the team weakness always mitigating.  What have we done for around 16 years now?  The exact same thing.  And we were lucky we got one superbowl on it.  If Manning hadn't carried us in the regular season to the playoffs there is no way that team all of a sudden puts up an amazing defensive performance in the post season.  And like Grigon's predecessors he will be spare for years to come because Luck will do the same.  And this Dorsett pick will look like a genius move when he has like 20 something touchdowns in the regular season but we lose in the playoffs with most likely the highest rated offense in the league... again...

Sorry rant off.   Now I can go back to cheering for this team. lol

I agree completely, feels like a Polian/Manning era draft.  Yes we added defensive players, but for the most part, even the DE are players going against the pass.  Held off way too long for DT and ILB, two very important positions in stopping the run.  There were plenty of great DT and ILBs in the early rounds. Not saying DE,and CB weren't needed, but I think we could have afforded to go later with those two over the one's I mentioned.  SS was the one position we drafted at the correct point.  It is possible that our late round DT and ILB could work out, but it is usually much less likely.  50% of the starters in the NFL were drafted in the first two rounds, so everything after that is a crap shoot.  As far as what the Steelers and Pats do, it's called balance, and it's much harder to beat teams in the playoffs when they don't have glaring weaknesses. 

I think you meant Robinson not Richardson.  We let Richardson go.  (i am sure it was just a typo)

I think you meant Robinson not Richardson.  We let Richardson go.  (i am sure it was just a typo)

Geez. And he's wearing #34 too. I will do Mr. Robinson a favor and never mention the name Richardson again.

I agree completely, feels like a Polian/Manning era draft.  Yes we added defensive players, but for the most part, even the DE are players going against the pass.  Held off way too long for DT and ILB, two very important positions in stopping the run.  There were plenty of great DT and ILBs in the early rounds. Not saying DE,and CB weren't needed, but I think we could have afforded to go later with those two over the one's I mentioned.  SS was the one position we drafted at the correct point.  It is possible that our late round DT and ILB could work out, but it is usually much less likely.  50% of the starters in the NFL were drafted in the first two rounds, so everything after that is a crap shoot.  As far as what the Steelers and Pats do, it's called balance, and it's much harder to beat teams in the playoffs when they don't have glaring weaknesses. 

We've gone 3 out of 4 years on offense.  It seems to be the theme that Grigson's BPA values will always skew to offense.  I'm in the minority that I actually like the Werner pick.  At least we took a chance at getting the replacement for Mathis.  And it didn't work out like we wanted but we still got a good player on the defense that isn't a liability.   So LETS DO IT AGAIN.  Again look at the Steelers.  They took Jarvis and he didn't pan out instead of waiting they took Bud Dupree who might completely change that hybrid front they are going to run now.  Just frustrated but what's done is done.

Rick Venturi was pretty high on the draft, he spoke at length on 1070 with JMV today. Went into a lot of detail about every pick. One good point about Smith he made..."the Colts are a pulled hamstring away from having a very average CB corps." And it's true. Butler is a very strong nickel/slot guy, but put him outside and he isn't that good. We saw that in 2013 when Toler was out for several games. He also liked Anderson...you can listen to the audio at 1070thefan.com. Good interview, Venturi may not have been a great HC, in fact he was terrible, but as an assistant and personnel guy he has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know. And he's not just some talking head. He coached, and has been in the war rooms, unlike Mayock and Kiper, etc.

Last thing he pointed out....look at the entirety of the offseason. He said the Colts did a great overall job when you combine FAs with the draft. I tend to agree. Maybe a little light on OL, but I think if the guys we have can stay healthy we will be ok. Key word: stay healthy.

The draft went down very much how I assumed it would as far as positions drafted goes, just not in which round or order...

I assumed we would grab roughly 

2-DLs

2-DBs

1-ILB

1or 2-OL (didn't expect the trade)

1-RB

& 1-WR

Like many here I assumed the 1st would be a defensive player, but instead the team picked up a potential offensive game changer...

No problem in my eyes...

If this turns out to be the Luck, TY, Dorsett show for the next few years we may be set as far as offense goes, and shoot, there's always next years draft to grab some 1st round defensive players!!!

So I am a fan...

It was a great draft. Especially from the 2nd round on. I mean Dorsett is going to be a beast, the kids going to be a star but we still could've gotten a good defensive player instead. With all that said I think all of Dorsett, Smith, Anderson, and Geathers will all be really, really good players. I even think Josh Robinson can end up being at least a good number 2 or 3 running back. But yeah I'm just straight up jacked about D'Joun Smith and Henry Anderson. And again I love Dorsett, he's going to be the real deal, but he was still a luxury pick when we needed D. And also Hererra. I think he can at least be a good backup/special teams guy. To me if you get a decent backup/special teamer in the 6th or 7th that's pretty good. I like what I've saw and read about him. And I just don't know a thing about the D2 tackle. I mean I know he's big, but other than that I just have no idea lol.

I liked 3 of the picks...Im optimistic about Henry Anderson though I have concerns...I think we could have had a better Safety but hopefully Geathers proves me wrong when he is given the chance

• Josh Robinson
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • D'Joun Smith

I liked 3 of the picks...Im optimistic about Henry Anderson though I have concerns...I think we could have had a better Safety but hopefully Geathers proves me wrong when he is given the chance

• Josh Robinson
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • D'Joun Smith

I haven't seen your thoughts on Geathers... ?

I haven't seen your thoughts on Geathers... ?

I think he is certainly coachable but he takes some awful angles to the ball and is an inconsistent tackler, Nothing that cant be corrected of course but I would have picked Ibraheim Campbell or Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt over Geathers

I think he is certainly coachable but he takes some awful angles to the ball and is an inconsistent tackler, Nothing that cant be corrected of course but I would have picked Ibraheim Campbell or Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt over Geathers

I liked the pick but i rated Campbell alot higher and thought he could be a big hitting guy who flies around. You never know he could get cut by Cleveland with Dante Whitner there and Gipson

Anyone think the Dorsett pick has anything to do with TY Hilton being in a contract year?  Or is that off the mark?  The way I see it is if for whatever reason we don't re-sign TY and AJ leaves then we would be left with a very weak WR corps.  Now with Dorsett even if both TY and AJ leave we still have Carter (unknown quality), Dorsett, Moncrief, and possibly Whalen or one of the other WRs that was on our PS last year, which wouldn't be a horrible WR corps (in theory).

Just curious about other thoughts... I was surprised at this pick initially but after thinking about contracts I thought maybe there was more to it...

I love the draft.  Even the first pick.  Not sure why so many people are down on it.  Yeah we got run on against NE in the playoffs.  But we also only completed 2 passes to WR in that game.  Last year we had a problem getting any seperation with our WR besides TY.

This changes that. 

I know everyone wanted Defense, but how many would go back and pick Werner in the first round?  How many would go back and get Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark in the 1st round? 

Another food for thought.....

In todays NFL how many defensive players stay on the same team there entire career?

How many offensive players stay on the same team there entire career?

Seems like defenders move around quite a bit more.  I realize you can come up with many examples for both, but just another way to look at it.

I think David Parry is going to really surprise people.  I was reading scouting reports on him before the draft where he was blowing up post season practices.  One report said he was the best defensive linemen at the practice.  Which post season game was he in?  NT don't have to be fat guys.  He is a solid 300, and he can beat double teams.

I'm just a fan and if I knew what the Colts guys knew I would sit next to them. My team to the final verdict. I cheer and at times I shake my head but in the end I still wake up a Colts fan. 2015 should be one of the most, if not the most exciting offensive displays in the Colts history going back to the days of Unitas. I see an offensive scheme designed to utilize all the talents of the players to move the ball in many fashions but equally important to keep the defenses guessing "what next". If the brain trusts use this basket of offensive talent correctly we are going to break some records. It has been said this draft will not stop the barrage of points the Pats and Steelers laid on us last year. While that is true but what it may do is give us the ability to score more points than they score and that boys and girls means we win!!