Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on worst Colts draft decision

I like Nate, just hope he can stay on the field. From what I remember he was decent against the pass too.

Yeah, when Nate went down last year, he was ranked the 6th best run stopper in the NFL for that year up to that point.  I think he'll end up being a good free agent grab being as a replacement for Jackson when Jackson deteriorates too much.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't like taking a KR/PR in 1st round.  All he has is straight line speed.  Needs to be Coached up on route running and hand placement when pass catching on Short/ Intermediate routes.

Would have been better value in late 2nd/ early 3rd round (see Lockett).

Didn't like taking a KR/PR in 1st round. All he has is straight line speed. Needs to be Coached up on route running and hand placement when pass catching on Short/ Intermediate routes.

I would have been way more pleased with Lockett in the later rounds

Finding guys who can cover these athletic Tightends these days is difficult.. But he can't be any worse then Jackson.

Yeah I agree. I think nowadays you're going to want a SS type on a TE instead of an ILB. That's where Geathers comes in. Coverage ILBs are rare in the NFL.

Didn't like taking a KR/PR in 1st round.  All he has is straight line speed.  Needs to be Coached up on route running and hand placement when pass catching on Short/ Intermediate routes.

Dorsett was not drafted for his ability to handle kick returns. If he does doe's do kick returns it's just icing on the cake. The receiving corps are not that strong. Wayne is gone. Carter is an unknown. Johnson may be in his last year. Whalen hasn't shown the ability to be a starter. TY and Moncrief are starters. If we had an injury to either TY, Johnson or Moncrief  we would be in bad shape. Going into last season we thought our receiving crew was fine. Well it didn't turn out that way. The Tight ends and RBs caught the majority of the TDs. TY was not as effective in the last few games of the season because he was drawing the best defenders other teams had. Dorsett is a lot better player than Lockett.

Dorsett was not drafted for his ability to handle kick returns. If he does doe's do kick returns it's just icing on the cake. The receiving corps are not that strong. Wayne is gone. Carter is an unknown. Johnson may be in his last year. Whalen hasn't shown the ability to be a starter. TY and Moncrief are starters. If we had an injury to either TY, Johnson or Moncrief  we would be in bad shape. Going into last season we thought our receiving crew was fine. Well it didn't turn out that way. The Tight ends and RBs caught the majority of the TDs. TY was not as effective in the last few games of the season because he was drawing the best defenders other teams had. Dorsett is a lot better player than Lockett.

You are correct, that Dorsett was drafted for more than being a KR/PR.  He was drafted for his straight-line speed.  As has stated on here, "Speed kills".  Sure does (see Oakland Raiders).  Some on here look at the strength of a player and over look the weaknesses.  Dorsett's weaknesses are poor route running and bad hand placement when catching.  These 2 things makes Dorsett a project player, because his weaknesses can be coached up.

I do agree with you about our receiving corp, but did not want to spend another 1st round pick on a project player, which Dorsett is.  I would have taken a little less speed for a good route runner (see Lockett).  Poor route running, IMO, is the major reason why our WRs can't get open in the short/ intermediate areas.  T.Y. has improved his route running since being drafted, took a step backward last season, especially in the last few games and post season.  Being able to take the top off the Defense is fine, but good route running in the short to intermediate areas lower the number of 3 and outs.  We don't need to try and throw 20+ yards on a 3rd and 5.

As for Griff, you will have to ask the coaching staff and F.O.  I know he does not have blazing speed, but he does have deceptive speed in the short/ intermediate ranges and does get open.  I can't answer that one.

As for Dorsett being better than Lockett, I'll give you that Dorsett is faster, but after that, Lockett is better.  Don't look where they were drafted at, as IMO, Grigson reached for a player that in his words, "stood out on his board".  Doesn't sound BPA to me.

Actually he would have been gone at that point he was graded as a late one to early two so he would have been long gone by then and I saw his tape he has more than straight line speed and his route running is great that is BPA and you guys were * when they took Newsome in the 5th round last year just wait a year or two down the road he will be a great player and you guys will be eating your words again.

Actually he would have been gone at that point he was graded as a late one to early two so he would have been long gone by then and I saw his tape he has more than straight line speed and his route running is great that is BPA and you guys were * when they took Newsome in the 5th round last year just wait a year or two down the road he will be a great player and you guys will be eating your words again.

Also you guys say needs coached up his route running isn't great you all said the same thing about Moncrief last year and came on late season.

If Dorsett is as good as you and some of the others on the Forum think he is, then tell me why the kid from USC went before him?  

I watched his tapes and observed that Dorsett is a poor route runner in the short/ intermediate areas.  In those areas, Dorsett has a tendency to try and use his body to catch the ball as well.

Poor route running is why our WRs have trouble getting open in those areas.

I can agree with you, that down the road Dorsett can be good.  With that said, it still doesn't change the fact that , again Grigson drafted a project player instead of an impact player with our 1st round pick (see Bjorn).

I'll not have to eat any words, because like TY, Dorsett can be coached to improve his route running and catching.  It will be 2-3 years, IMO.

If Dorsett is as good as you and some of the others on the Forum think he is, then tell me why the kid from USC went before him?  

I watched his tapes and observed that Dorsett is a poor route runner in the short/ intermediate areas.  In those areas, Dorsett has a tendency to try and use his body to catch the ball as well.

I can agree with you, that down the road Dorsett can be good.  With that said, it still doesn't change the fact that , again Grigson drafted a project player instead of an impact player with our 1st round pick (see Bjorn).

I'll not have to eat any words, because like TY, Dorsett can be coached to improve his route running and catching.  It will be 2-3 years, IMO.

I see where you're coming from but I don't really agree.  

Agholor had a similar grade (I would imagine) to Dorsett, being late 1st / early 2nd.  Philly took him because he fits exactly what they were looking for in a WR, coupled with the fact that they had a big hole there.  Dorsett was more of a luxury pick for the Colts, adding a dynamic threat both on offense and in the return game (no more Whalen or Cribbs, enough said).  You mention his speed almost as if it's a negative, when in reality his elite "track speed" translates extremely well to the field.  He does not run great routes yet, but he routinely creates separation with his speed.  And as you said, his route running can be coached up and should improve with time.  But I think you are going to far by calling him a project player.. Does he have room to improve?  Of course.  Does he already have the ability to be an impact player?  Absolutely. 

I see where you're coming from but I don't really agree.  

Agholor had a similar grade (I would imagine) to Dorsett, being late 1st / early 2nd.  Philly took him because he fits exactly what they were looking for in a WR, coupled with the fact that they had a big hole there.  Dorsett was more of a luxury pick for the Colts, adding a dynamic threat both on offense and in the return game (no more Whalen or Cribbs, enough said).  You mention his speed almost as if it's a negative, when in reality his elite "track speed" translates extremely well to the field.  He does not run great routes yet, but he routinely creates separation with his speed.  And as you said, his route running can be coached up and should improve with time.  But I think you are going to far by calling him a project player.. Does he have room to improve?  Of course.  Does he already have the ability to be an impact player?  Absolutely. 

I understand what you are saying and you seem to be edging around my point, but quite haven't grasp it yet.  Dorsett's straight line elite speed only means something in the deep passing game and KR/PR game.  He isn't going to run a 5 yard out pattern and break free of coverage with his poor route running.  So for now, his elite speed is a negative.

As I stated, Dorsett can be taught proper route running and to use his hands rather than his body to catch the ball.  These are the reasons I call him a project player, as he needs to be taught basic skills for his position and will take a couple of years to get down (see TY).  Yes Dorsett can take the top off of a Defense, but I don't see us throwing 20+ yard patterns 30 times a game just to use his speed.

Yeah, I am not a big Amarlo Herrera fan. I would have drafted Ifo Ekpre-Olomu and let him sit out for a year to rehab and see if he can bring anything in 2016. 

I am not sure we needed to trade up for David Parry. I like the pick, just without the trade. With the extra 7th round pick we could have taken Tre McBride WR William and Mary. I think he could have represented a great trade chip if he performed well in pre-season. 

I would have taken BJ Finney C Kansas State with the 2nd to last pick. Extra competition on the offensive line is not a bad thing. Hopefully Goode will provide that. 

For the most part, I LOVE the draft. Dorsett is going to be a stud! Antonio Brown 2.0!

I understand what you are saying and you seem to be edging around my point, but quite haven't grasp it yet.  Dorsett's straight line elite speed only means something in the deep passing game and KR/PR game.  He isn't going to run a 5 yard out pattern and break free of coverage with his poor route running.  So for now, his elite speed is a negative.

As I stated, Dorsett can be taught proper route running and to use his hands rather than his body to catch the ball.  These are the reasons I call him a project player, as he needs to be taught basic skills for his position and will take a couple of years to get down (see TY).  Yes Dorsett can take the top off of a Defense, but I don't see us throwing 20+ yard patterns 30 times a game just to use his speed.

How on earth is elite speed a negative? Even if you think that it doesn't help with short to intermediate route running -- which I disagree with -- how does it become a negative? Elite speed changes the way defenders play you on every snap. It's never not a factor, and it's NEVER a negative. That's just ridiculous.

I also disagree with your criticisms of his route running and hands catching. I'm sure we'll never see eye to eye on that, but I've watched as much Dorsett film as anyone here (and probably more than most), and I think you are exaggerating, to say the least.

I will disagree I didn't say he was the best route runner in the draft I said his route running is fine the guy from USE reminds me of a faster Reggie Wayne with the route running ability Moncrief needs more work on route running ability than Dorsett does.

Not only do I disagree with this post, but especially to the part I put into bold.

Project player?!?     Holy cow....

Please show me someone's review that says that.

I think you have hugely over-thought this.     You read that Dorsett's hands aren't great and that his route running needs work and immediately concluded he's Donte Moncrief 2.0.     Moncrief had some of the same issues.

Except, for some reason what you didn't read was that his hands are good to very good,  just not great.   And that his routes, while needing improvement, are still good.

I think you leaped to conclusions.

I've been all over the internet and find no reviews of Dorsett that match-up with yours.

If you've got a website that supports your view,  please link it here for all of us to read.......

Yeah I thought we were moving up for someone other than Parry as well. However, I just don't think that Bennett would of been a good selection for our scheme I think he is basically an undersized D Lineman that is perfect for a 4-3 Base defense but would struggle to anchor in a 3-4. The only way I could see him fitting in on our team is for sub packages when we went to a 4 man front, JMO. The bad thing is I think he is going to be good for Jacksonville as he fits their scheme perfectly.

You're probably right. I kept thinking Bennett is available, take him. But he is more of a 4-3 guy and probably wouldn't have fit here.

Not only do I disagree with this post, but especially to the part I put into bold.

I think you have hugely over-thought this.     You read that Dorsett's hands aren't great and that his route running needs work and immediately concluded he's Donte Moncrief 2.0.     Moncrief had some of the same issues.

Except, for some reason what you didn't read was that his hands are good to very good,  just not great.   And that his routes, while needing improvement, are still good.

I've been all over the internet and find no reviews of Dorsett that match-up with yours.

If you've got a website that supports your view,  please link it here for all of us to read.......

I think you are right on. The analysis of Dorsett that I read said nothing about him being a project. He had some drops and he played in an offense that only utilized a few routes it wasn't like they were big issues. Every analysis of a player has to list some weaknesses. Here's all any Colts fan needs to know, Edgerrin James says the kid is going to be fantastic. That's good enough in my book.

Yeah, when Nate went down last year, he was ranked the 6th best run stopper in the NFL for that year up to that point.  I think he'll end up being a good free agent grab being as a replacement for Jackson when Jackson deteriorates too much.

Yes, solid player who can contribute immediately. And I feel a lot better about our depth at the MLB position the moment we signed him. And bringing in a guy who can help us against the run is huge.

Yeah I agree. I think nowadays you're going to want a SS type on a TE instead of an ILB. That's where Geathers comes in. Coverage ILBs are rare in the NFL.

I could be wrong, but Geathers looks more like a physical hard hitting box safety to me. Not really someone who thrives in coverage.

I will disagree I didn't say he was the best route runner in the draft I said his route running is fine the guy from USE reminds me of a faster Reggie Wayne with the route running ability Moncrief needs more work on route running ability than Dorsett does.

I see TY's first year for Dorsett.  Will have to wait and see once regular season starts.

You did all the work for me , making my case for what you highlited.  I watched his tape and seen a lot of body catching in the short to intermediate areas.  I also saw poor route running and having trouble getting open in the short/intermediate areas.  Poor route running is why our WRs had trouble getting open in the short/intermediate areas last season (except Reggie).

As far as links, every predraft analysis contained strengths and weaknesses.  Everyone stated that Dorsett's weaknesses were: 1. Poor route running in short to intermediate areas.  2. Bad hand placement or Body catching.

All can be coached, but will take time.

I did not have to jump to conclusions, I just had to watch tape.

I will wait till regular season to see. 

You did all the work for me , making my case for what you highlited.  I watched his tape and seen a lot of body catching in the short to intermediate areas.  I also saw poor route running and having trouble getting open in the short/intermediate areas.  Poor route running is why our WRs had trouble getting open in the short/intermediate areas last season (except Reggie).

As far as links, every predraft analysis contained strengths and weaknesses.  Everyone stated that Dorsett's weaknesses were: 1. Poor route running in short to intermediate areas.  2. Bad hand placement or Body catching.

All can be coached, but will take time.

I did not have to jump to conclusions, I just had to watch tape.

I will wait till regular season to see. 

It's all a matter of degree.     You see him as the same as Moncrief.     I don't.

He's much further along.

Dorsett may have similar issues -- but not nearly as bad/advanced.

It's all a matter of degree.     You see him as the same as Moncrief.     I don't.

He's much further along.

Dorsett may have similar issues -- but not nearly as bad/advanced.

I see him as I saw TY in 2012.  Both have the same bad habits.  Not impact players.  Dorsett, like TY will start showing what he can do for the Offense, in a few years. 

Its funny but given the players that fell out of the draft, I would have liked the Colts to take one of those players with their 7th round pick, such as Derron Smith, the FS, or Taijan Jones, the ILB from Mich. State. Or even the LSU OT. 

This team still needs talent at these 3 positions, and why they chose to go with a complete unknown with their 7th pick who they likely could have gotten with a little extra cash after the draft is beyond me. 

This said, you have to like the rest of the draft to criticize the 7th round pick, and I do. I think Grigson did an outstanding job. 

I see him as I saw TY in 2012.  Both have the same bad habits.  Not impact players.  Dorsett, like TY will start showing what he can do for the Offense, in a few years. 

I don't expect Dorsett to be Odell Beckham....   but I do think he'll be a little bit better than Moncrief was as a rookie.

I think he'll have about roughly 40 receptions for roughly 550-600 yards.

I think he's more polished than Dante was as a rookie and I think he'll get slightly more snaps than Moncrief does.

I'm not saying this is a lock.   I think it's more hunch than anything else.....  just my viewpoint....

art schlichter was the worst draft pick made by the Indianapolis colts.  there were a few other busts, but art was taken first overall, and he set the team back several years.

none of the picks this year could come anywhere near being that bad for us.

schlichter makes werner look like a great first rounder

How is 50 catches, 861 yards and 7 TDs (plus a punt return TD) not an impact player?

britney%2BNO%2B8.gif

Too many 3 and outs.  I like TY and he has improved a lot, but it took him 3 years to get things right.  TY still took a step back at the last of this season and play offs.

Dorsett is TY 2.0.  If he was as good as some on here thinks, he would have been drafted higher.  IMO, in a few years, Dorsett will be what we all think he will be.  Just not a 1st round pick.  He is a project, as was Werner and we both know this. 

Too many 3 and outs.  I like TY and he has improved a lot, but it took him 3 years to get things right.  TY still took a step back at the last of this season and play offs.

Dorsett is TY 2.0.  If he was as good as some on here thinks, he would have been drafted higher.  IMO, in a few years, Dorsett will be what we all think he will be.  Just not a 1st round pick.  He is a project, as was Werner and we both know this. 

So Hilton wasn't an impact player in 2012 because the offense had too many three and outs??? I don't know what you're talking about.

So Hilton wasn't an impact player in 2012 because the offense had too many three and outs??? I don't know what you're talking about.

Route running.  Dorsett has poor route running in the short to intermediate.  We saw last season what happens when you have an injuried Reggie and poor route running, we saw sppeed kills in the bad way.  Adding Dorsett, who's tape looks just like TY's 2011 tape, shows me TY 2.0.  The only impact this season, from Dorsett, will be in KR/PR and our long passing gaming due to poor route running.

Route running.  Dorsett has poor route running in the short to intermediate.  We saw last season what happens when you have an injuried Reggie and poor route running, we saw sppeed kills in the bad way.  Adding Dorsett, who's tape looks just like TY's 2011 tape, shows me TY 2.0.  The only impact this season, from Dorsett, will be in KR/PR and our long passing gaming due to poor route running.

You keep saying that Dorsett is a bad route runner, and I keep saying I disagree. You also keep acting like speed is a bad thing, and that's also just false. 

And the majority of folks seem to think that if Dorsett doesn't have a huge impact as a rookie that it makes him a bad draft pick, and that's also a false premise.

Going back to Hilton, I still don't understand how he wasn't an impact player as a rookie. 

You keep saying that Dorsett is a bad route runner, and I keep saying I disagree. You also keep acting like speed is a bad thing, and that's also just false. 

And the majority of folks seem to think that if Dorsett doesn't have a huge impact as a rookie that it makes him a bad draft pick, and that's also a false premise.

Going back to Hilton, I still don't understand how he wasn't an impact player as a rookie. 

First, I will agree to disagree about Dorsett's route running and wait till preseason starts.  I have been known to be wrong and have no problem admitting to it.

As far as being against speed, I have seen teams have speed WRs and not get any where or make it to the Super Bowl and get beat.  IMO and experience, Route runners are good for a team.  They get open in the short/ intermediate areas and move the chains rather than relying on a speedster to get open 20 yards + down field on a 3rd and 7.  Just because you have 4.2 speed doesn't mean you are going to get open underneath.

i'll admit, that I believe if you draft a player in the 1st round that is a project, is a bust.  1st rounder drafted that isn't an impact player, by a team without solid players at all positions, IMO, is a bust.  You are waiting for a player, you needed the year you drafted him, to become what you drafted him for, 2-3 years don the road (see Bjorn and he will never be a decent ROLB).

As far as TY, his impact was only in the long passing game.  Not much impact.  IMO, has developed in a solid all-round WR.

I'm sure you haven't watched him play, so what are you basing this on?

I watched tape on him and not just highlights.  I looked at analysis I could find.  The only thing agreed upon by the analysts was the elite speed.  Most talked about bad route running and when in the short/intermediate areas, has problems with catching ball against body.  I went back and reviewed all tape.  I had seen the first time I looked at tape.

I graded dorsett mid 2nd round earliest-top of 3rd at the latest.  Was surprised we took him in the 1st. 

First, I will agree to disagree about Dorsett's route running and wait till preseason starts.  I have been known to be wrong and have no problem admitting to it.

As far as being against speed, I have seen teams have speed WRs and not get any where or make it to the Super Bowl and get beat.  IMO and experience, Route runners are good for a team.  They get open in the short/ intermediate areas and move the chains rather than relying on a speedster to get open 20 yards + down field on a 3rd and 7.  Just because you have 4.2 speed doesn't mean you are going to get open underneath.

i'll admit, that I believe if you draft a player in the 1st round that is a project, is a bust.  1st rounder drafted that isn't an impact player, by a team without solid players at all positions, IMO, is a bust.  You are waiting for a player, you needed the year you drafted him, to become what you drafted him for, 2-3 years don the road (see Bjorn and he will never be a decent ROLB).

As far as TY, his impact was only in the long passing game.  Not much impact.  IMO, has developed in a solid all-round WR.

We'll see on the route running.

To the bolded, I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. But you seem to be arguing that A) teams with speed receivers can't win in the playoffs / SB, and B) speed receivers can't be good route runners or get open in the short/intermediate areas. I don't agree with any of that, at all.

I also don't quite agree with your idea of what makes a first rounder a bust. First, I don't think Dorsett is a project player; I think he can contribute right away, even though he might not, given our depth. Second, "project player" is a pejorative, but every player gets better as time goes on. And most importantly, I don't believe that drafting for need is the right way to draft, especially in the first round. Dorsett was a BPA pick, not a needs-based pick, so judging him on the basis of whether he fills a need and plays a major role right away is already missing the mark.

I haven't written off Werner, either, even though he obviously isn't the player the staff thought he'd be, and shouldn't have been a first rounder.

And I disagree with your characterization of Hilton's rookie season. He wasn't only a factor on deep passes. He didn't work the middle of the field often because Reggie and the TEs were in there, and Arians called a lot of vertical stuff. He also had some learning to do, not just related to route running, but mostly about when to sit in open areas against zone coverage and things like that. But even if he was primarily a deep threat, that doesn't mean he wasn't an impact player. There are lots of raw receivers in the league that still have an impact. Hilton was one of them in 2012.

All that said, this idea that Dorsett = Hilton is misplaced anyways. No question they are similar, but Dorsett should be better as a rookie than Hilton was, as he's a better route runner, has better hands and is actually faster (both on the clock and play speed).