Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on worst Colts draft decision

I could be wrong, and I hope I am not, But i think we waited WAAAAY to long to grab a run stopper at linebacker.  Amarlo Herrera plays hard, but is not very fast and is very stiff.  I just do not see him making the 53 man roster.  Granted true good MLB was kind of thin in this draft, but there was a few good ones in the 3rd and 4th round.  I understand i am not Grigson, and don't draft for a living, but perhaps we could have gotten a mlb in those rounds and got Geathers where we got Herrera.  That is where Geathers was projected anyhow.  I think Grigson pulled the trigger early on him because he got scared when safeties started dropping off the board.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no telling where Geathers would come off the board and Grigs got the guy he wanted. It's impossible to take every person we think is needed. We have Freeman and Jackson starting and Irving and Muamba as depth. We can wait until next year for an ILB if Herrera doesn't work out.

There was only one thing in this draft that I hated: trading up in the 5th to take David Parry.  Much like Henry Anderson two rounds earlier, Parry is a relatively light DL option (308 lbs on a short, maxed-out frame), who is far from a stout option compared to Chapman, Kerr, or Hughes.  Not only that, but Parry was injury prone in college.  And unlike the athleticly impressive Anderson, Parry doesn't seem to have NFL athletic traits.  Spending a 5th and a 7th for a try-hard player that probably won't make the team was a terrible move in my opinion.  There are a dozen other things we could have done with those picks that would have been more productive...

There was no run on safeties....   

One went off the board in the 1st.

Three came off in the 2nd.

NONE -- zero -- came off in the 3rd.

And one came off in the 4th before the Colts. 

That's it.     And Geathers we were linked to from January on....   we really liked him.    Pagano noted that he has a lot where he can improve on....   is not anywhere near his ceiling.    Can improve greatly.     It was time to take a safety,  and we took the one we liked the most.

A diamond in the rough....   Pagano believes he can polish him up and turned him into a very good player....

Im pretty happy with the draft. Sure we didnt fill every need most teams dont. The one thing i really wasnt happy with is moving up for Parry. When i saw we moved up i

thought we were going to get Bennett who was projected to be a 2-3 rd pick and was a great pick for Jax in the 6th. Im ok with Parry being he is a 34 interior guy. But i dont think we needed to move up for him. In the end we could have stayed put and got them both.

The worst was MOVING UP in the 5th for Parry???  just because he was a buddy of Anderson??

He doesn't fit a NFL team unless he is going to play DT in a rotational role...(or else he will find out what O-lines do to small NTs).

Grigs could have done better at another position and then taken a big NT later...even if only a UDFA 'toilet clogger'.

Yuck.

Im pretty happy with the draft. Sure we didnt fill every need most teams dont. The one thing i really wasnt happy with is moving up for Parry. When i saw we moved up i

thought we were going to get Bennett who was projected to be a 2-3 rd pick and was a great pick for Jax in the 6th. Im ok with Parry being he is a 34 interior guy. But i dont think we needed to move up for him. In the end we could have stayed put and got them both.

Yeah I thought we were moving up for someone other than Parry as well. However, I just don't think that Bennett would of been a good selection for our scheme I think he is basically an undersized D Lineman that is perfect for a 4-3 Base defense but would struggle to anchor in a 3-4. The only way I could see him fitting in on our team is for sub packages when we went to a 4 man front, JMO. The bad thing is I think he is going to be good for Jacksonville as he fits their scheme perfectly.

Gesthers IMO and others was the best safety in the class. I think he will he our steal of this years draft.

Parry could have benn had as a UDFA, we should have grabbed Bennett there.

I agree on Geathers I think we really got something there and I think he is going to get much better under Pags coaching. Now IMO Parry would not have been an UDFA, if telling yourself that justifies you being bitter towards that pick then so be it I understand, but there was several articles with several teams interested in him as high as the 3rd and as low as the 6th. I am sure Grigs heard that someone else was really eying him there in the 5th and that is why he pulled the trigger to move up.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the draft, but I'm not a big fan of Geathers'.

There weren't any safeties in the whole draft that didn't come with question marks (including Collins,IMO), though.

I understand the pick, but "in the box" safety types don't appeal to me if they don't come with coverage chops.

I also get that stopping the run was one of last year's team's weaknesses, but I think that the problem should be addressed up front. Safeties who can shut down TEs and slot guys have more value in my book.

It's a small gripe, considering the need at the position, but I'd say that the Geathers pick was my least favorite.

My hope is that he exposes my lack of scouting expertise and is starting by midseason, playing at a high level.

I did not know that Paul Dawson went one pick ahead of the Parry pick, which we traded up for.  That makes me wonder....

The 5th round moves pretty fast.  And I'm sure it takes a bit of time to work out a trade.  I'm wondering if the Colts were on the phone trading up with the team and finalized the trade not expecting the team ahead of our new pick to pick Dawson.  Maybe the Colts were trading up for Dawson and settled for Parry after he was taken.

I did not know that Paul Dawson went one pick ahead of the Parry pick, which we traded up for.  That makes me wonder....

The 5th round moves pretty fast.  And I'm sure it takes a bit of time to work out a trade.  I'm wondering if the Colts were on the phone trading up with the team and finalized the trade not expecting the team ahead of our new pick to pick Dawson.  Maybe the Colts were trading up for Dawson and settled for Parry after he was taken.

Dawson was taken in the third round by the Bengals with a compensatory pick not the fifth.

The worst was MOVING UP in the 5th for Parry???  just because he was a buddy of Anderson??

He doesn't fit a NFL team unless he is going to play DT in a rotational role...(or else he will find out what O-lines do to small NTs).

Grigs could have done better at another position and then taken a big NT later...even if only a UDFA 'toilet clogger'.

Yuck.

What in the world makes you think the Colts took David Parry because "he was a buddy of Anderson"..??

Parry was drafted on talent.    Friendship with another player played no part of this. 

The only thing I've seen to connect the two, is that Pagano said the scouts asked him to take a look at tape of Anderson, and while watching Anderson play they noticed that Parry was making lots of plays as well.      That's the only connection I'm aware of.     If you have something else,  feel free to share......

Just chiming in on this, as I don't think any of the picks were terrible.  You never know how good someone will be until they actually play for your team.  I mean (and I hate to say this) who expected Brady to be as good as he has been (Deflategate, Spygate aside)?  I'm willing to give the guys a few years before labeling them busts.  

My point being, why try to be negative on players and where they are picked until you see them in action?  I know it's everybody's right to do so, just as it is my right to say this.  

ILB is only a huge need if you don't have a good NT. Your have to commit to one though.

If you're not going to get high end linebackers, you better have a top flight NT who can keep em clean. A guy like Herrera is fine, if we would have gotten Eddie Goldman in the 1st

I'm usually don't buy into the idea of letting Grigson's late round guys develop, but I think Herrera has potential.

ILB is only a huge need if you don't have a good NT. Your have to commit to one though.

If you're not going to get high end linebackers, you better have a top flight NT who can keep em clean. A guy like Herrera is fine, if we would have gotten Eddie Goldman in the 1st

I'm usually don't buy into the idea of letting Grigson's late round guys develop, but I think Herrera has potential.

I like what I saw from Herrera. Seems to have a good knack for finding the football, and could be brought in on some blitz packages if he ever sees the field; kind of like how we used McNary.

Honestly I like the draft!! Was surprised by the Dorrest pick not because he isn't good but by the position. I think we got value on each pick. Also like some of the free agents too!

I hated the Dorsett pick at first, but I'm slowly falling in love with it more and more each day.

Jackson, Freeman and the guy we picked up from the Broncos should do fine.

I would seriously love if the Colts made a move for Mychal Kendricks from Philadelphia. Pairing him with Freeman would make for a great tandem. Wishful thinking I know..

What in the world makes you think the Colts took David Parry because "he was a buddy of Anderson"..??

Parry was drafted on talent.    Friendship with another player played no part of this. 

The only thing I've seen to connect the two, is that Pagano said the scouts asked him to take a look at tape of Anderson, and while watching Anderson play they noticed that Parry was making lots of plays as well.      That's the only connection I'm aware of.     If you have something else,  feel free to share......

Yeah, I totally agree. No GM in their right mind is going to pick a player because of a connection with another player they drafted. Thers no telling if either one of these guys will make the final roster even though they're expected to. You just need to draft the BPA.

I didn't even realize that Dawson went right before Parry.. You make a valid point.

I didn't even realize that Dawson went right before Parry.. You make a valid point.

Paul Dawson was 1 pick away from us, which we took David Parry with that pick.. Would have been interesting if he was still on the board for us; would we have taken a shot at him?

I think you have Dawson confused with someone else.....

Dawson was taken with the last pick in the 3rd round.    99th overall, and 6 picks AFTER we took Henry Anderson.    He was not taken in the 5th round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3

I don't know who you're referring to in the 5th round when the Colts drafted David Parry....?

Wide receiver with their first pick stunned me. With Johnson being new and the Colts giving Cris Carter's kid a shot, I thought the Colts would wait until the later rounds to target offensive weapons. However after watching the highlights of Dorsett, I can see why the Colts are so high on him. He's a fast man with good hands. He will get his chance to prove his worth this year. And personally I don't thinking Andrew is going to let him be anything other than a productive, late first round pick. He'll keep feeding him scraps until he's ready for the lion's share of the catches when Johnson and maybe TY are gone. Think of the lengths Andrew has gone to keep Fleener confident and productive.

Same here agree 100% was a real head scratchier at first!! Grown to like then love the pick?

Dorsett gives that an added element of speed on the field that everyone we play is going to have to respect; now with the additions of Gore, Johnson and of course having TY, teams are going to have a hard time game planning to take away all these weapons.

Plus, you never know what could happen with TY and his contract down the road. This is like an insurance policy just in case we lose Hilton In free agency - I hope we do not, I love the kid.

So yes, I love the Dorsett pick.

There was only one thing in this draft that I hated: trading up in the 5th to take David Parry.  Much like Henry Anderson two rounds earlier, Parry is a relatively light DL option (308 lbs on a short, maxed-out frame), who is far from a stout option compared to Chapman, Kerr, or Hughes.  Not only that, but Parry was injury prone in college.  And unlike the athleticly impressive Anderson, Parry doesn't seem to have NFL athletic traits.  Spending a 5th and a 7th for a try-hard player that probably won't make the team was a terrible move in my opinion.  There are a dozen other things we could have done with those picks that would have been more productive...

Not sure where this came from?

Here's his 5-year games played chart.

You'll note he missed two games his senior year.   And that appears to be it.    Otherwise,  he played.    He didn't always start,  but he played.

2010: Redshirted    2011: (13/0) 6-1.5-0   2012: (14/3) 28-3-2   2013: (14/9) 23-5-0    2014: (11/11) - 34-7.5-4.5

Dorsett gives that an added element of speed on the field that everyone we play is going to have to respect; now with the additions of Gore, Johnson and of course having TY, teams are going to have a hard time game planning to take away all these weapons.

Plus, you never know what could happen with TY and his contract down the road. This is like an insurance policy just in case we lose Hilton In free agency - I hope we do not, I love the kid.

So yes, I love the Dorsett pick.

Yup & the Tight ends!!