Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 Colts Are.............

Deano1818

Probably (You cant guarantee a Rookie's success)  SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than the 2014 Colts

Dont forget, we were the AFC championship finalist, A VERY good team to start with.

The team that beat us...... lost some significant contributors. (Revis, Wolfork)

The Colts didn't lose ANY significant contributors

Lets compare some areas

WRs

In the playoffs we had just one WR that the other teams feared, or had to account for

With the addition of Johnson, and now Dorsett, as well as getting Moncrief another camp to learn

On paper, this is the deepest WR group in the NFL.

..........   We clearly will have an improvement

Significant Improvement area - #1

OL

Last year, we had a RT that was banged up from multiple injuries. He played MUCH better in the past.

If he comes back 100% its an improvement. Our RG situation was painful to watch last year.

Herremans was banged up last year, but was a consistent pile pusher, EVERY year before that

He could also switch to RT if needed as well

I believe he will be a huge factor for this team and this line. Especially if we stop dinking around at center.

Significant Improvement Area - #2

DBs

I cant imagine any S worse than "Mr PED"  Having him off the team is a betterment. We now have 2 options to fill his role. 

We also have an upgrade in depth at the CB spot. Our new (but maybe overconfident) CB will see the field on nickle packages. I believe he will be an upgrade in this defense

Significant Improvement Area - #3

RBs

Gore is 5 times the player Trent Richardson was. With even a slightly consistent and improved OL,

Gore will get more yards. Gore will also benefit from having an improved (and scary to defensive game planners) explosive WRs.  

In the playoffs, the safeties started to cheat up near the line. I HOPE they do that in the future.......

Can you imagine Herron with more open field?

Significant Improvement Area - #4

LBs

Last year we had no depth, and we had little pass rush.

Our best and most dominant defensive player, Mathis was out all year.

Him coming back, with the other changes, will have an amazing impact on this defense

(He gets the defensive team off the field with hurries and sacks)

I also think Newsome will be improved with an extra camp and off season conditioning.

(He was our only guy adding pressure in some games last year)

He was getting gassed, as he was the only guy we had, and he many times drew the double 

team.

Also, adding Cole to this group will also bring pressure that we didn't have last year.

And with quality depth.... these guys can rotate in and be more of a factor in the second half.

(vs. being worn down)

Lastly 

Nate Irving being added was important, as we didnt have any depth at ILB. 

Hopefully Freeman can get his game back together

Significant Improvement Area - #5

DL

Last year, the DL suffered. Jones was hurt much of the year.

I always liked Redding.... I liked his fire....  but his skillset had dropped significantly 

He just wasnt a good player anymore......

Having Langford, and now Anderson, beefs up this unit greatly, IMHO

Significant Improvement Area - 6#

Having Luck with another year under his belt is also key

As I said before, you cant count on rookies to produce, as well as team health.

However, with that said, at least on paper....... Grigs has done an EXCELLENT job

in improving an already good team

Even the most pessimistic fans have to see this ..... right?

I am excited for this year!

Go Colts!!!

I will be honest, at first I didnt like the Dorsett pick..... but its grown on me.

I have this gut feel that Anderson will be special in this league....

Anyone who does too much complaining about where this team is vs last year isnt really paying attention

(Or.... just likes to argue   :)  )

Outside of a clutch, 3rd down possession type WR, the offense looks to have it all.  Hopefully, Johnson can take on that role.  But you already had an elite passing game, which may have gotten better.  With no Richardson and the addition of Gore, I'm confident they can run the ball, as they have for the past two years when they handed it to anyone not named Richardson.  You have a good blocking back, and two good receiving RBs.  Then, if it all breaks down, Luck can run the ball.  Pass protection would be the only other issue, but a slightly shorter passing game and a few more dumpoffs to Gore and Boom might do wonders in that department. 

The defense?  I have no idea.  :)

But yes, overall I would say they are a better team.

Solid write up. I'm feeling pretty confident this season. I'm really curious to see how our O line shapes up this year. Mewhort should be much improved, the signing of Herramans should be impactful, and I can't wait to see what Grigs found with Ben Heenan. He seems like he was a big time contributor after being the number 1 overall pick in the CFL. He sounds strong and stout, and could even turn out to be a big contributor on our line. I'm just excited to see what we have in him. Pretty good writeups about him. We will have to wait and see how healthy Gosder is though.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/2/8/7975841/ben-heenan-in-depth-breakdown-colts

Really nice write up couldn't agree more. I have also been thinking the more I look at our UDFA pickups I am starting to think we are going to have some great competition in camp. I could easily see Sylvestre, Hodges, and Vitabile making strong pushes for the 53.

I agree! Now the wildcard will be this COACHING staff that I STILL have questions about. I look at the past Pat games and saw NO improvement in game planning against them. The truth of the matter is that the losses became WORSE every time the teams faced each other. I know some of the talent level was not the same but the Pats weren't handing down beatdowns like they did to the Colts on a consistent basis. Will Chuck and the staff MAXIMIZE the talent to cause matchup problems on a week to week basis ESPECIALLY against the elite teams of the nfl? In order to hoist that :lombardi:  you need special players as well as a coaching staff that can gel and manage stars or bring some level of expertise to be able to OUTCOACH the opposition via schemes or by attacking viewed weaknesses. Colt Nation will soon see one way or another because the bar has been raised as well as the talent level.

Yeah seriously. I don't get that at all.

We obviously disagree on Redding.

Which is fine....... (I am not the be all, end all NFL talent evaluator)

But, in my very humble opinion, he was getting pushed off the line more than previous years

He was owned most of the Pats game.

Again....... dont dislike the guy.........  he was a locker room, team leader

I think our rookie class is going to be pretty beastly. I think Dorsett, Smith, Anderson, and Geathers will all have an impact in their rookie year. Especially Dorsett, Smith, and Anderson. I think even Josh Robinson is going to be good. It wouldn't surprise me if he's our number 2 back by the end of the season. I might have my blue glasses on but I'm pretty jacked about this draft. Even if the 1st rounder could have been spent on D. 

This "Redding was bad last year" narrative is totally wrong. Guy was the best player in our front 7.

Who they replaced with Langford. Unless Anderson can start right away or see significant snaps early, we haven't improved in run D.

The secondary once again looks to be the best part of the defense. Lowery will be pretty bad but at least we have an insurance policy in Geathers.

The 2016 Colts can probably win the Superbowl. 2015 Colts look like a 10-6 team with a round 2 playoff exit.

Who they replaced with Langford. Unless Anderson can start right away or see significant snaps early, we haven't improved in run D.

The secondary once again looks to be the best part of the defense. Lowery will be pretty bad but at least we have an insurance policy in Geathers.

The 2016 Colts can probably win the Superbowl. 2015 Colts look like a 10-6 team with a round 2 playoff exit.

Just curious....... Why do you think Lowery will be pretty bad?

In comparison, I think PED man was one of the worst that has every played last year

We also have a rookie that may start as well as McDonald.......

All SHOULD be better......

Big picture here.  If Smith is as good as Pagano, Grigson and Smith himself think, we are gonna have 2 shutdown corners for years to come.  Make no mistake, our staff was bragging on him waaaay more than they were the Anderson pick, whom most of you think was our best pick. 

They are monumentally better on paper, however it just depends on how healthy the team is and how the players play. The offense should be the greatest show on turf v2.0 and the D will have Cole, Mathis, and additions to the DL and pretty much everywhere else.

WRs

On paper, this is the deepest WR group in the NFL.

We said this last year, too.  Then Wayne's return from injury didn't go as planned and Nicks was pretty ineffective.  Add in that Dorsett, Moncrief, and Carter all need reps to develop, meaning they'll have to split reps, and you have some question marks.  With that said, I'm not worried about our group of pass catchers.  This wasn't an area of weakness before, so significant improvement here doesn't fix where the team was lacking last year.

OL

Last year, we had a RT that was banged up from multiple injuries. He played MUCH better in the past.

If he comes back 100% its an improvement.

That's a big if.  His knee problems could be degenerative, which means his football career could be done.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a June 1 cut.

I believe he will be a huge factor for this team and this line. Especially if we stop dinking around at center.

This is a big issue and no one can predict this.  Shipley was playing decently well, then the coaches pull him for no reason.  Harrison plays slightly above average at best and they leave him in for a few games, despite missed blocks and botched snaps.  Then Holmes returns from injury and they play him, but Holmes' injury history doesn't paint an optimistic picture.

RBs

Gore is 5 times the player Trent Richardson was. With even a slightly consistent and improved OL,

Gore will get more yards. Gore will also benefit from having an improved (and scary to defensive game planners) explosive WRs.  

In the playoffs, the safeties started to cheat up near the line. I HOPE they do that in the future.......

Can you imagine Herron with more open field?

This is going under the assumption that Gore is still going to play really well.  By the time the season starts, he'll be 32, have nearly 2500 carries, and over 11 000 yards.  That's a lot of wear and tear for a physical runner.  I think he can still play well (especially if we have him split reps with Herron/Robinson), but I think we need to temper our expectations with him.

LBs

Last year we had no depth, and we had little pass rush.

Our best and most dominant defensive player, Mathis was out all year.

Him coming back, with the other changes, will have an amazing impact on this defense

(He gets the defensive team off the field with hurries and sacks)

That's highly unlikely, in my opinion.  Mathis' game was based on explosion and athletic ability.  A major injury like an Achilles tear can take away a lot of that explosion.  Add to that the fact that he'll be 34 when the season starts and I'm not expecting much from him.  8 sacks would be a highly successful season for him, in my opinion.

Also, adding Cole to this group will also bring pressure that we didn't have last year.

Trent Cole will be 33 in October.  I don't know how much to expect from him.  He's coming off a 6.5 sack year.

And with quality depth.... these guys can rotate in and be more of a factor in the second half.

(vs. being worn down)

We have quality depth at OLB?

Lastly 

Nate Irving being added was important, as we didnt have any depth at ILB. 

He can be a really good player IF he comes back with the form he had before his ACL tear.  He might not be fully ready this year, but he could make a pretty strong contribution next year.

Hopefully Freeman can get his game back together

Another if.  IF Freeman can get his game back together...

DL

Last year, the DL suffered. Jones was hurt much of the year.

I always liked Redding.... I liked his fire....  but his skillset had dropped significantly 

He just wasnt a good player anymore......

He actually was one of our best front 7 player.

However, with that said, at least on paper....... Grigs has done an EXCELLENT job

in improving an already good team

We've improved, but have we improved our weaknesses?  Have we improved our team enough to get past the Pats?  Do we have enough talent on the team to beat every other AFC team?

I don't mean to be that guy, but....

Just my opinions

Just curious....... Why do you think Lowery will be pretty bad?

In comparison, I think PED man was one of the worst that has every played last year

We also have a rookie that may start as well as McDonald.......

All SHOULD be better......

He wasn't good in Atlanta. He's better than Landry but that's not saying much. Probably just Sergio Brown 2.0

Just my opinions

Such a pessimist. You essentially said you don't project any current players to get better, while saying everyone brought in will be significantly worse.

Just my opinions

For a moderator on a Colts fan board..... you may be a bit too pessimistic

For fairness sake, lets say I am overly optimistic, and lets say, for a Colts fan, (if

you are one) you are a bit pessimistic

I have pointed out 6 areas of improvement

(I truly doubt EVERY negative thing you have to say is going to happen)

Lets say its only 3 areas of improvement.

This was a very good team last year.

We won 2 playoff games

Our biggest rival in the AFC lost some key players, and their QB is one year older

The 3 things COULD be enough to get us into the SB

Now.......... If we would just GAMEPLAN a bit better.......... and adjust DURING the game........

This could be a SB team for a few years in a row......

I agree , most of the losses had a lot to do with horrible play calling and the wrong people in the game,EXample why would a good coach leave trent in the game? I kinda wonder if this draft is the same type of situation, we as fans can see where the problems lie  and the management cant. As a person pags might be great as a coach he doesnt seem to have it all together' same with griggs and pep.

I mean, your first point that the WRs won't be better is just awful. Moncrief won't improve and AJ isn't better than Nicks + Dorsett? Really just a terrible assessment.

Right.

How can you be that negative about our WR corps, and at the same time be critical of the Dorsett pick solely because it didn't address a perceived need? In fact, the setbacks our receivers suffered last season highlight why adding young playmakers should improve our team. 

He wasn't good in Atlanta. He's better than Landry but that's not saying much. Probably just Sergio Brown 2.0

I say he was an average Safety in Atlanta

Not All Pro

Not Pro Bowl

Not Great

But an AVERAGE NFL safety

Landry was well below average last year

To me, again..... not an expert..... just an old dude behind a computer screen, who watches alot of football

Would rather have a great Safety..... one wasnt available

I will take average everyday over PEDMAN

Its an area of improvement..........  even if its marginal

I agree! Now the wildcard will be this COACHING staff that I STILL have questions about. I look at the past Pat games and saw NO improvement in game planning against them. The truth of the matter is that the losses became WORSE every time the teams faced each other. I know some of the talent level was not the same but the Pats weren't handing down beatdowns like they did to the Colts on a consistent basis. Will Chuck and the staff MAXIMIZE the talent to cause matchup problems on a week to week basis ESPECIALLY against the elite teams of the nfl? In order to hoist that :lombardi:  you need special players as well as a coaching staff that can gel and manage stars or bring some level of expertise to be able to OUTCOACH the opposition via schemes or by attacking viewed weaknesses. Colt Nation will soon see one way or another because the bar has been raised as well as the talent level.

Much better said than my pitiful attempt to say the same thing.

We're one of the 3-4 favorites right now, but I think if we had made a couple different moves we'd be the hands down favorites to win the Super Bowl. We could've signed Terrence Knighton for dirt cheap, or maybe traded for Ngata. And we could've signed a safety like Searcy.

The 2015 Colts are...............................   better than the 2014 Colts.

The question for the next four months is.........    How much better?

The answer won't come until September-January.....

Then hopefully,  we're playing in February!        :thmup:

I mean, your first point that the WRs won't be better is just awful. Moncrief won't improve and AJ isn't better than Nicks + Dorsett? Really just a terrible assessment.

Sorry,  I'm out of likes, otherwise,  you'd get one...   or two...   or three...

Just wanted to give you a shout-out and a  :thmup:  for your posts in this thread....

Arthur Jones healthy.    Langford, Anderson and Parry.     Younger DL's should all improve.

Nobody was excited about Adams when he was brought in....   he turned out alright...   give Lowery a shot.

I don't recall you being this negative before....   not sure what happened? 

All the Colts have done is get better every year.     We'll be better this year too...

Such a pessimist. You essentially said you don't project any current players to get better, while saying everyone brought in will be significantly worse.

Not true.  I never said Moncrief won't improve, nor did I say anything about Johnson not being better than anyone else.  I said Dorsett, Moncrief, and Carter all need reps to develop.  If 2 guys split the reps, they develop more quickly than if 3 guys split them.  I said they'll be slower to develop.  I also said I'm not worried about our pass catchers.  I don't know how you make the connection from that to me saying our WRs won't be better.

The things I said about Cherilus, while speculation since nothing definitive has come out about his knee problems being degenerative and him being a June 1 cut, are very possible.

The thing I said about continually changing players at C was something even you stated..."if we stop dinking around at center".  I made no assessment of any players there.

In regards to Gore, I said I think he can still play well, but that he has a lot of tread on his tires.  Again, I'm not saying we haven't improved.  I'm just saying we need to be wary of expectations.  This isn't the Frank Gore of 4 years ago.

Anything I said about Mathis is true.  He is 34, coming off a major injury, and Achilles injuries take away a lot of explosion.  Trent Cole will be 33 early in the season and is coming off a 6.5 sack season; both statements are true.  I'm not saying those guys can't play, but I'm saying we should temper expectations.  I'm not expecting 10+ sacks from Mathis or Cole.

In regards to the linebackers, I again said if.  I never said they definitively will or won't be good players.  You said if they can return to form and I agreed, stating that it's a big IF.

As for my last questions, I posed them to anyone who cared to answer.

For a moderator on a Colts fan board..... you may be a bit too pessimistic

For fairness sake, lets say I am overly optimistic, and lets say, for a Colts fan, (if

you are one) you are a bit pessimistic

I have pointed out 6 areas of improvement

(I truly doubt EVERY negative thing you have to say is going to happen)

Lets say its only 3 areas of improvement.

This was a very good team last year.

We won 2 playoff games

Our biggest rival in the AFC lost some key players, and their QB is one year older

The 3 things COULD be enough to get us into the SB

So just because I disagree with what the front office has done, that stops me from being a Colts fan?

Yes, this was a very good team last year....so were several other teams.  Very good doesn't win Super Bowls. 

We won 2 playoff games (albeit against Andy Dalton and an injured Peyton Manning, but we won them nonetheless)....so did the Pats.  In fact, the Pats won 4.

Our rival lost several players....yes, all teams do.  But they also added some key players.  Their QB is another year older, but he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.  Given their complete dominance over our defense, I think they've figured out Manusky's scheme.

I am not saying we won't be competitive.  I just don't think the front office has done enough to address all of our needs.  The moves we've made so far this offseason have been good, but they haven't blown my socks off.

Right.

How can you be that negative about our WR corps, and at the same time be critical of the Dorsett pick solely because it didn't address a perceived need? In fact, the setbacks our receivers suffered last season highlight why adding young playmakers should improve our team. 

I said I'm not worried about our pass catchers.  I'm not saying they aren't talented or they won't contribute or they'll be a weakness or detriment.  I do think adding another guy to the group might hinder the development of the other young receivers (however slightly that may be), but I'm not saying our WR group is a weakness.  We have lots of talent there.

The 2015 team is better on paper so far (there are still a few months of offseason left), but that doesn't mean we've improved to the top of the AFC, in my opinion

So just because I disagree with what the front office has done, that stops me from being a Colts fan?

Yes, this was a very good team last year....so were several other teams.  Very good doesn't win Super Bowls. 

We won 2 playoff games (albeit against Andy Dalton and an injured Peyton Manning, but we won them nonetheless)....so did the Pats.  In fact, the Pats won 4.

I have no idea if you are a Colts fan or not.    I dont know if they pay moderators

You just come off as REALLY negative..... every possible improvement....... and you poo poo or down play it......

I think you would be the ONLY person on this forum that hasn't seen at least a little improvement

A little improvement in certain areas can make a LOT of difference

A little more pass rush..... can equate to more 3 and outs

A little better running attack.... we get the first down vs missing it

A little more offensive firepower, keeps the drives alive and the defense "fresher"

But...... maybe you will be right and none of these will matter.....

We will agree to disagree.....

Have a good and positive day

I said I'm not worried about our pass catchers.  I'm not saying they aren't talented or they won't contribute or they'll be a weakness or detriment.  I do think adding another guy to the group might hinder the development of the other young receivers (however slightly that may be), but I'm not saying our WR group is a weakness.  We have lots of talent there.

The 2015 team is better on paper so far (there are still a few months of offseason left), but that doesn't mean we've improved to the top of the AFC, in my opinion

'We don't need a receiver, why did we draft one?!?'

'We have some question marks at receiver.' 

I don't know how to reconcile those two comments. 

You see having options as a detriment to development. The staff sees it as intense competition, which should yield better players throughout the receiver corps. We definitely didn't need another receiver, but it definitely doesn't make anyone we already had any worse. I would like to see this kind of competition throughout the roster, personally. Offseason logjams are actually a good thing for a team like ours.

I have no idea if you are a Colts fan or not.    I dont know if they pay moderators

You just come off as REALLY negative..... every possible improvement....... and you poo poo or down play it......

I think you would be the ONLY person on this forum that hasn't seen at least a little improvement

A little improvement in certain areas can make a LOT of difference

A little more pass rush..... can equate to more 3 and outs

A little better running attack.... we get the first down vs missing it

A little more offensive firepower, keeps the drives alive and the defense "fresher"

But...... maybe you will be right and none of these will matter.....

We will agree to disagree.....

Have a good and positive day

I disagree with 21 on this issue, very much. I guarantee you he is very much a Colts fan.

I don't think we need to start questioning each other's fandom because we don't agree on the status or direction of the team. That's not productive at all.

I disagree with 21 on this issue, very much. I guarantee you he is very much a Colts fan.

I don't think we need to start questioning each other's fandom because we don't agree on the status or direction of the team. That's not productive at all.

Maybe I am being too negative....... 

I just think that there have been strides made here.... 

Throwing a wet sock on EVERY comment doesnt seem to be the best approach........

Arthur Jones healthy. Langford, Anderson and Parry. Younger DL's should all improve.

Nobody was excited about Adams when he was brought in.... he turned out alright... give Lowery a shot.

I don't recall you being this negative before.... not sure what happened?

All the Colts have done is get better every year. We'll be better this year too...

I've seen enough in the Grigson era to have my reservations. All in all a fantastic draft save for that 1st round pick, and we have some pieces for the future but defensively we haven't improved enough.

Offensively we should be more dangerous than before though. I just don't think we did enough on the other side of the ball in FA to elevate or D. I would see the D will either be about the same or slightly worse than our 2014 D.

Now in 2016 after another solid draft and our rookies getting a year of experience, the Colts are something to really fear. It's just that I feel that Grigson had a chance to close the gap with the 1st round pick this year and he didn't.

Call me crazy but I think if you take Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman round 1, the Colts are a Superbowl contender.

I've seen enough in the Grigson era to have my reservations. All in all a fantastic draft save for that 1st round pick, and we have some pieces for the future but defensively we haven't improved enough.

Offensively we should be more dangerous than before though. I just don't think we did enough on the other side of the ball in FA to elevate or D. I would see the D will either be about the same or slightly worse than our 2014 D.

Now in 2016 after another solid draft and our rookies getting a year of experience, the Colts are something to really fear. It's just that I feel that Grigson had a chance to close the gap with the 1st round pick this year and he didn't.

Call me crazy but I think if you take Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman round 1, the Colts are a Superbowl contender.

I would've taken Goldman.....   but as I said sometime Thursday night,  Grigson said Dorsett was far higher on the board than anyone else,  so I'm not going to slam the guy for doing exactly what he said he'd do if the opportunity presented itself.   Turns out,  it did.

It's not like Dorsett was 19th,  and the next best guy was 20 or 21.     That was a considerable gap to whoever was next.   And while the comment was made that Brown was a "2nd round pick"  for all we know,  he might've been 33.   

In his media availability,  Irsay talks about trying to create a mismatch...   our 3rd WR with the opponents 3rd cornerback.   If we have the favorable match-up,  and clearly we now think we do against anyone,   then we have a tremendous weapon/advantage.

Just some food for thought.     Better days ahead!         :thmup: