Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

calling it right now

CR91

Last year the Colts had TY, veteran named Wayne, FA, who was on decline for two years, named Hicks, UDFA, who was kicked out of SEC program because of his character, named Rogers, and Moncrief. This group was not that impressive in february.

This year the Colts have Moncrief, veteran named TY, FA, who is on decline for two years, named Johnson, UDFA, who was kicked our of SEC program because of his character, named Carter. Yeah, let's pray for them to be good in february no matter what. Dorsett pick is a luxury. Who cares that TY, Allen, Fleener, Castonzo are FA after 2015...

I totally, totally agree with you we had those Colt defenders last year in those big games NE.Pitt.Dall. and they stunk. I hear and have been hearing Pagnano and Grigsom raving about that we have the guys already on our defense in place to fix stopping the run REALLY? I ask how so they certainly could n' t stop the run in those huge games last year and we didn't add any FAgents they are big enough names to make me feel good about our run defense especially when the playoffs start Or in the big games during the season. The NE games we got torched w the run and pass in the Dallas game same in the Pitt game with the pass over 600 something yards. How can anyone be naïve enough to think the Colts can compete against the elite teams NE, Pitt, Dallas ,even Miami Bills,Jets are going to be incredibly tough for us. Miami , Jets ,Bills are no cake walk and they have greatly improved from last season. I do not know why Colts front office didn't make a bigger push to sign H. Nagta Or Wilfork then I would of as least felt somewhat at ease w/ out run stopping somewhat. And the draft besides Henry Anderson did not /does not show much help..and besides Anderson is not going o step right in and be our answer immediately no. And we have to have a good record to have home field advantage hopefully thru out the playoffs because we are not going to win in NE in the cold.  And watch out for the Ravens also.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year the Colts had TY, veteran named Wayne, FA, who was on decline for two years, named Hicks, UDFA, who was kicked out of SEC program because of his character, named Rogers, and Moncrief. This group was not that impressive in february.

This year the Colts have Moncrief, veteran named TY, FA, who is on decline for two years, named Johnson, UDFA, who was kicked our of SEC program because of his character, named Carter. Yeah, let's pray for them to be good in february no matter what. Dorsett pick is a luxury. Who cares that TY, Allen, Fleener, Castonzo are FA after 2015...

Even given that...in my opinion, a receiver could have been taken at a lower round since it was a deep draft at that position this year.    I don't really see our wide receiver situation as dire as you do. Having a better running game will help our passing game as well.  I have more confidence in our offense than I do in our defense at this juncture.

I totally, totally agree with you we had those Colt defenders last year in those big games NE.Pitt.Dall. and they stunk. I hear and have been hearing Pagnano and Grigsom raving about that we have the guys already on our defense in place to fix stopping the run REALLY? I ask how so they certainly could n' t stop the run in those huge games last year and we didn't add any FAgents they are big enough names to make me feel good about our run defense especially when the playoffs start Or in the big games during the season. The NE games we got torched w the run and pass in the Dallas game same in the Pitt game with the pass over 600 something yards. How can anyone be naïve enough to think the Colts can compete against the elite teams NE, Pitt, Dallas ,even Miami Bills,Jets are going to be incredibly tough for us. Miami , Jets ,Bills are no cake walk and they have greatly improved from last season. I do not know why Colts front office didn't make a bigger push to sign H. Nagta Or Wilfork then I would of as least felt somewhat at ease w/ out run stopping somewhat. And the draft besides Henry Anderson did not /does not show much help..and besides Anderson is not going o step right in and be our answer immediately no. And we have to have a good record to have home field advantage hopefully thru out the playoffs because we are not going to win in NE in the cold.  And watch out for the Ravens also.

Sorry for misleading, but "Dorsett pick was a luxury" was a sarcasm. Actually, I really like this pick. Not because I am a "full throttle offense" fan. Just because the Colts prior the draft had too many holes on defense (2 ILB, DE, SS, CB) to fill with that 1st round pick. So it made a lot of sense to take our offense on higher level to compensate defense's weakness.

Even given that...in my opinion, a receiver could have been taken at a lower round since it was a deep draft at that position this year.    I don't really see our wide receiver situation as dire as you do. Having a better running game will help our passing game as well.  I have more confidence in our offense than I do in our defense at this juncture.

I suppose Grigson was well aware of our defense's weaknesses. But he supposed Anderson to fall into 3rd round and he was not a fan of Brown or Goldman. If Grigson has missed on Anderson, he would probably trade for DE prior the regular season. Heck, Grigson still can do it after watching his WRs in preseason games. TY for Mychal Kendricks, for example.

By the way, 2014 preseason the Colts started with 12 DLs: Nnamdi Obukwelu, Jeris Pendleton, Tyler Hoover (as a DE), Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala, Cory Redding, RJF, Arthur Jones, Josh Chapman, Gannon Conway, Brandon McKinney. Kelcy Quarles was added in september. In regular season the Colts kept 6 DLs: Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes, Cory Redding, Arthur Jones, RJF, Zach Kerr (7 after Kelcy Quarles arrival).

But now the Colts have only 9 DLs: Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, Arthur Jones, Josh Chapman, Kelcy Quarles, Henry Anderson, David Parry, Earl Okine, Kendall Langford. So 9 men for 7 spots. Not much competition. Maybe, Grigson has some trade in mind?

By the way, 2014 preseason the Colts started with 12 DLs: Nnamdi Obukwelu, Jeris Pendleton, Tyler Hoover (as a DE), Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala, Cory Redding, RJF, Arthur Jones, Josh Chapman, Gannon Conway, Brandon McKinney. Kelcy Quarles was added in september. In regular season the Colts kept 6 DLs: Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes, Cory Redding, Arthur Jones, RJF, Zach Kerr (7 after Kelcy Quarles arrival).

But now the Colts have only 9 DLs: Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, Arthur Jones, Josh Chapman, Kelcy Quarles, Henry Anderson, David Parry, Earl Okine, Kendall Langford. So 9 men for 7 spots. Not much competition. Maybe, Grigson has some trade in mind?

Trade is always a possibility but I wouldn't feel good at all about trading any of them right now...especially T.Y.  I think that Griggson feels that our WR's including Dorsett gives us such a strength going into this season (from a match up perspective) that it would be counter productive to try to trade one this year.  I'm actually excited about our offense this year with Dorsett's addition to our core group of receivers...believe it or not.  Regardless of how I feel about how the Colts prioritized their needs, I believe that Dorsett will make an impact this year if he gets enough targets.

However, it is a good point that you make about the limited number of D Lineman going into camp.  Perhaps Griggs is factoring in the possibility of another signing or two after teams start making roster cuts.  That could potentially make me feel a little better about things depending on who we add.

Ok about the D-line situation.;  Anderson and Parry were only named the positions they are because they had to be named something.  Both moved all over the line in all the positions every game.  In a 3-4 scheme, Brown would play the same position as Anderson.  Anderson having the better run stopping stat's and better qb rushes, sack stats.

Kerr was a rookie last year and did not play a whole lot due to fatigue.  He was brilliant when he was fresh though.  When he got tired is when he struggled. He has worked hard on his eating habbits and heath to improve on this area for him .

Langford is a beast in the 3-4 scheme.  Go watch tape of when he played that scheme with the Dolphins.  He will fit in quite well.  

I am not as high on Art Jones as alot of other people are.  He has had times of good play, but many times it looked like he was disappointing to me. I expect Anderson to take his starting spot sooner more than later.

Parry is the ???? to me.  His motor, aggressiveness, and explosion are not the issue, they are nearly impeccable.  It is his size.  Quite small and undersized as a NT in a 3-4 scheme.   His effort however could make up for it, we will have to watch and see.

Overall though, I feel our line will be strides better than last year. 

I thought it was Roethlisberger and his 522 yards to blame... Not Bell and Blount and their 113 yards.

Well it was kind of both really. It was that we could not put any pressure on Big Ben whatsoever. I mean their OL killed our DL. We just couldn't get close to him. He had all day leading to the 500plus yardage. Then we couldn't stop the run game either. This year We'll have a much better pass rush that's a given, and honestly our run D should be better as well assuming Anderson is solid and one of Kerr, Hughes, or Chapman really break out.

Well it was kind of both really. It was that we could not put any pressure on Big Ben whatsoever. I mean their OL killed our DL. We just couldn't get close to him. He had all day leading to the 500plus yardage. Then we couldn't stop the run game either. This year We'll have a much better pass rush that's a given, and honestly our run D should be better as well assuming Anderson is solid and one of Kerr, Hughes, or Chapman really break out.

It was not just the fact we could not get to the qb. We also have starting pass defenders out due to injury that game...including Vonte Davis going out in the first quarter.   This is why getting Smith was so important.  Behind out starter, we really had no quality to speak of.

I am one of those who have been sick & tired of watching my Colts get gashed by every team our running on offense needs to improve & stopping the run on D .

I will just say 1 pick at WR changes nothing we went after defense we signed defense now we need to see how it plays out , No one has crystal balls but I will just say - If our D don't stop the Run Chuck Pagano & his DC need shipped out .

We needed offensive line & defensive line we needed CB' & a safety we got them in FA & the draft how has needs not been addressed ?

I am not 100 % happy that will come when my Colts take the field & show me they can stop the run .

We would need a DC. Pagans has brought us the best secondary we have seen in a while from CB. We have the talent. It's just hard to find the right coach. Same as player.

:neener: Its funny how I mocked a wr going to the Colts in the 1st round and even Dorsett a couple times

Why ? did'nt you get the memo ?  am & many Colts fans had us picking Brown :banana:  I like the pick & think those who complained will realize later they were wrong when the D improves ,

Ok about the D-line situation.;  Anderson and Parry were only named the positions they are because they had to be named something.  Both moved all over the line in all the positions every game.  In a 3-4 scheme, Brown would play the same position as Anderson.  Anderson having the better run stopping stat's and better qb rushes, sack stats.

Kerr was a rookie last year and did not play a whole lot due to fatigue.  He was brilliant when he was fresh though.  When he got tired is when he struggled. He has worked hard on his eating habbits and heath to improve on this area for him .

Langford is a beast in the 3-4 scheme.  Go watch tape of when he played that scheme with the Dolphins.  He will fit in quite well.  

I am not as high on Art Jones as alot of other people are.  He has had times of good play, but many times it looked like he was disappointing to me. I expect Anderson to take his starting spot sooner more than later.

Parry is the ???? to me.  His motor, aggressiveness, and explosion are not the issue, they are nearly impeccable.  It is his size.  Quite small and undersized as a NT in a 3-4 scheme.   His effort however could make up for it, we will have to watch and see.

Overall though, I feel our line will be strides better than last year. 

Parry makes up for his size with excellent technique and hand play.  Plays with real good leverage.  He's very similar to Kelly Gregg who used to play NT for the Ravens. Gregg was a real good run stuffer.  Parry is not one dimensional either so he's got some pass rushing abilities.