Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

calling it right now

CR91

The Colts had Dorsett rated the highest, but had bigger needs at other positions.  I get that.  However, what if they would have let him go and the Patriots ended up taking him.   Then he goes on to to be a player with Wes Welker type production and Brady rides him to a few more wins over the Colts.  I can live with the pick.  Never want to feed the enemy.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts had Dorsett rated the highest, but had bigger needs at other positions.  I get that.  However, what if they would have let him go and the Patriots ended up taking him.   Then he goes on to to be a player with Wes Welker type production and Brady rides him to a few more wins over the Colts.  I can live with the pick.  Never want to feed the enemy.

I agree.

I think it's safe to say Dorsett will be a bigger asset to us down the road then Brown will be to the Patriots.

Interesting point. There reports that Houston was going to trade up with NE to take Dorsett. I do think they will use a ton of 3 WR sets and often 4 WR sets with the depth they have. I just hope we get over the hump this upcoming season. It's time for us.

There was actually a rumor that said the Texans were trading up to the Pats pick to get Dorsett.  Then the Colts picked Dorsett and the trade didn't occur.

Could you imagine the Texans have a Hilton of their own to go with Hopkins?  That would hurt when they finally get a QB.

The only problem I have with this draft is that it's the polar opposite approach that we took in free agency.  The consensus seems to be we took players that could outplay their draft position, but didn't fill an immediate need.  Why sign a bunch of veterans with a win now mentality, then draft guys that will barely see the field this year if those signings work out, especially when there were players on the board that could have filled significant needs for this upcoming year.  Don't get me wrong, I think we're farther away than an AFC Championship game appearance would suggest, and I prefer the draft strategy we used over the free agency strategy, but at least be consistent.  Are we going for it this year or not?

I agree. I called it schizophrenic behavior in another thread.

It won't matter if we have the Pats outmatched with our receivers. Dorsett won't see the field that much if the Pats are running out down our throat.

Also anyone who thinks Dorsett is going to be difference make against the Pats is severely underestimating BB.

It's not just about putting up points. You have to stop the opposing team from putting up points and controlling the clock.We dropped 34 on the Steelers and still lost. Part of that was Vontae being out, but Blount and Bell were also to blame.

I thought it was Roethlisberger and his 522 yards to blame... Not Bell and Blount and their 113 yards.

I thought it was Roethlisberger and his 522 yards to blame... Not Bell and Blount and their 113 yards.

And the reason for that was we had no corner depth.  3/4th of ourstarting cover guys was either out due to injury, or left because of it.  Ben was just doing what any good qb would do in the situation.  and when you are having success with the run,..play action deep passes happen.

I was not a fan of the Dorsett pick. Nothing against him, we just have issues stopping the run (which Pagano acknowledged) and Brown and Collins were sitting there waiting for the phone to ring. 

I'm hoping this ends up like Reggie Wayne (also not a well liked pick at the time) and he turns out to be stud. I also remember that when TY gets double teamed he vanishes from games. AJ won't be here forever, and we still don't know what we have in Moncreif and Carter. 

I'm coming around on the pick. Finally. 

Just send TY and Dorsett deep, AJ on a slant, and Gore out of the back field. Sit back and profit. 

Our biggest problem on defense when it came to those games we looked bad in was getting off of blocks. Guys were in the backfield and missing tackles. But again the biggest problem was being in position and then getting off of blocks to make the play.

Right on bro!

Brown was the right pick. Plain and simple.

There are alot of things we as fans are not privy to.  Maybe they thought he was not as much of a scheme fit, or something happened in his workouts they did not like, or something about his personality.  Grigson said he was further down their list than the #6 ranked WR. There has to be a reason for that we do not know about.

Offense was certainly a problem in the AFC title game, which is what everyone here seems to want to base the draft on.

Let's talk about that.  Yes, our running game was bad.  The route running of our WRs was awful.  They couldn't get open in the short and intermediate routes due to poor route running.

Poor route running is why I say Dorsett is a project player.  It took T.Y., 3 years to get it and even he backslid at times last year. IMO, it is going to take Dorsett about the same.  

Another 1st round project player or a 1st round KR/PR.  Your choice

Let's talk about that.  Yes, our running game was bad.  The route running of our WRs was awful.  They couldn't get open in the short and intermediate routes due to poor route running.

Poor route running is why I say Dorsett is a project player.  It took T.Y., 3 years to get it and even he backslid at times last year. IMO, it is going to take Dorsett about the same.  

Another 1st round project player or a 1st round KR/PR.  Your choice

Many star WRs need a few years to learn the nuances of NFL route running.  That said, I do not think Dorsett is a "project" player just because he has things to work on.  All rookies have things to work on.

Although some analysts questioned the Colts taking a WR in the 1st round, every analyst unequivocally agreed that Dorsett was a 1st-round talent.   You don't draft full-blown "projects" in the 1st.  Unless you're the Raiders. :)

Furthermore, unlike Hilton, Dorsett will play in the slot.  He will get the benefit of some simpler routes there.  DBs will fear getting blown by and their "deeper" positioning will allow Dorsett to work some inside quick slants and out-routes (the types of simple, quick-developing routes this offense sorely lacks). 

It will be nice in 3 years when Dorsett, Hilton, and Moncrief are in their prime.  We'll have an elite WR corps functioning at full speed and Andre Johnson may be gone/retired by then. 

I enjoyed the Grigson and Pagano post draft conference, but enjoyed Irsay's comments post-draft the most. The guys is always honest about his team while managing to not point fingers. He seems healthy and really bought into the same vision Grigson and Pagano have. His comments and optimism did well to get me excited to see our new team hit the field.

You mean like how they took Brown just a few picks after us?.... If we cant run the ball against them and he's a big reason why, it's the same issue... You can flip it either way though, what if Dorsett torches them for 100+ yards and 2TD when we meet them? 

I was initially just as confused and upset with the pick as anyone was on this forum, but I have since seen how it could be a potentially great value pick. Gotta love the Anderson pickup as well on the D-Line. If Anderson contributes half as well as we hope on run D and Dorsett can make plays, I would be happy enough that we skipped over Brown and Goldman etc.

I enjoyed the Grigson and Pagano post draft conference, but enjoyed Irsay's comments post-draft the most. The guys is always honest about his team while managing to not point fingers. He seems healthy and really bought into the same vision Grigson and Pagano have. His comments and optimism did well to get me excited to see our new team hit the field.

I feel the excitement each & every season & can't wait to see how all these off season moves play out this season more than most since 98 .

Its all about the vision .  We as fans can't see the forest for the trees but IMO Jim Irsay can ..

Many star WRs need a few years to learn the nuances of NFL route running.  That said, I do not think Dorsett is a "project" player just because he has things to work on.  All rookies have things to work on.

Although some analysts questioned the Colts taking a WR in the 1st round, every analyst unequivocally agreed that Dorsett was a 1st-round talent.   You don't draft full-blown "projects" in the 1st.  Unless you're the Raiders. :)

Furthermore, unlike Hilton, Dorsett will play in the slot.  He will get the benefit of some simpler routes there.  DBs will fear getting blown by and their "deeper" positioning will allow Dorsett to work some inside quick slants and out-routes (the types of simple, quick-developing routes this offense sorely lacks). 

It will be nice in 3 years when Dorsett, Hilton, and Moncrief are in their prime.  We'll have an elite WR corps functioning at full speed and Andre Johnson may be gone/retired by then. 

Analysts also said that DGB was a 1st rounder.

With that said, I'll take your word on it.

For the Patriots - not the Colts.

If Dorsett and Brown were both there at 32 the Patriots were taking Dorsett all day.

Brown was a good selection by the Pats given their needs, but he was an over-rated prospect (especially on this forum, apparently).  Heck, the Pats wanted to trade out of the 1st rather than take him, but lost their trade partner when we selected Houston's target.  Staying pat (pun intended) and selecting Brown was their Plan B (though Pat fans will try to spin it that BB nixed the trade b/c the Colts were stupid enough to pass on Brown).

The Collts also have to not get gashed in the running game for people to praise Griggs for the Dorsett pick. That's the other side of the coin for that pick that can't be ignored. The opportunity cost for spending your first round pick on a position of strength was not adding a high caliber defensive player at a position of need. Dorsett could be T.Y. on steroids but if the Dline is still getting run over by teams like the Pats then some will still take issue with the pick. They wouldn't necessarily be wrong or bad fans for doing so either.

This

This

What opportunity cost is this dude talking about when we got a player in Anderson who is on par if not higher than Malcolm Brown? Please tell us in what ways is Malcolm Brown that much high caliber than Henry Anderson and please do it with Run defense stats.  Very few defensive lineman had more TFL than Henry Anderson and Anderson doesn't have to come into the league learning a bunch of new techniques and switching his game around like Brown will.  Stanford already employs many of the same techniques and run fits the Colts are currently using.  I don't see the point in continuously crying about run defense needs that were addressed in the draft.   We got the best of both worlds so it's   much ado about nothing.  The Pats first two picks were Malcolm Brown and Jordan Richards, do you really want to wager that they will be better than Phillip Dorsett and Henry Anderson?

The only problem I have with this draft is that it's the polar opposite approach that we took in free agency.  The consensus seems to be we took players that could outplay their draft position, but didn't fill an immediate need.  Why sign a bunch of veterans with a win now mentality, then draft guys that will barely see the field this year if those signings work out, especially when there were players on the board that could have filled significant needs for this upcoming year.  Don't get me wrong, I think we're farther away than an AFC Championship game appearance would suggest, and I prefer the draft strategy we used over the free agency strategy, but at least be consistent.  Are we going for it this year or not?

I'm sorry but you're entire premise doesn't make sense to me.  The strategy should be different for FA and the draft.  The draft is used to build your team long term, free agency, outside of one or two players every year, is used to fill holes for a season or two.

What opportunity cost is this dude talking about when we got a player in Anderson who is on par if not higher than Malcolm Brown? Please tell us in what ways is Malcolm Brown that much high caliber than Henry Anderson and please do it with Run defense stats.  Very few defensive lineman had more TFL than Henry Anderson and Anderson doesn't have to come into the league learning a bunch of new techniques and switching his game around like Brown will.  Stanford already employs many of the same techniques and run fits the Colts are currently using.  I don't see the point in continuously crying about run defense needs that were addressed in the draft.   We got the best of both worlds so it's   much ado about nothing.  The Pats first two picks were Malcolm Brown and Jordan Richards, do you really want to wager that they will be better than Phillip Dorsett and Henry Anderson?

I'll respond to you since I'm "that dude".  First...Henry Anderson is a DE.  Malcolm Brown is a DT.  The more applicable comparison would be the Stanford DT Parra who we drafted in the sixth round.  If you can't see the talent difference between Malcolm Brown and a 6th round DT then I don't know what to say to you.  I'll leave it to you or anyone else who wants to do all the run defense stat comparisons between Brown and Parra. I don't  have the time but would be interested if anyone cared to do it. 

Also there were other defensive positions that could have been taken in the first round at other positions not just Malcolm Brown. Colts had multiple needs along the defensive line and in the secondary.

I agree that Henry is a nice selection in the 3rd Round.  I'm not convinced right now that he is the answer to what ails our defensive line though.  He needs to bulk up some.  He was a very effective college player but I have to see how his game speed translates to the NFL.  I'm hoping he becomes the player we are hoping for but I'm a little cautious.

At the end of the day....it is what it is.  I'm not here to rehash all of this.  The Colts picked who they did and Griggson will be evaluated based on the choices he made for better or worse.  I'll be cheering for Phillip Dorsett when he steps on the field to show out like everyone else.  I'm just pointing out that  for the original poster to just assume that everyone will be singing Griggs' praises if Dorsett becomes a stud is only looking at one side of the equation.  If the defense still sucks some fans will still look at the pick as a lost opportunity to allocate better talent towards fixing what has become an recurring achilles heel for this franchise.  

Had it been the same draft with a speedy WR in the 3rd, no one would have cared.  They still primarily drafted defense. 

Opinions on draft day...  Jerry Hughes was the most popular Colts draft pick of the past 15 years or so - universally praised - while the Reggie Wayne pick was one of the more hated.  The Werner pick was fairly popular as well, as was the Richardson trade.  You see where I'm going with this.  Who knows what will happen. 

You might be onto something. I'm going to start hating all of Grigson's first round picks from now on!

I'll respond to you since I'm "that dude".  First...Henry Anderson is a DE.  Malcolm Brown is a DT.  The more applicable comparison would be the Stanford DT Parra who we drafted in the sixth round.  If you can't see the talent difference between Malcolm Brown and a 6th round DT then I don't know what to say to you.  I'll leave it to you or anyone else who wants to do all the run defense stat comparisons between Brown and Parra. I don't  have the time but would be interested if anyone cared to do it. 

Also there were other defensive positions that could have been taken in the first round at other positions not just Malcolm Brown. Colts had multiple needs along the defensive line and in the secondary.

I agree that Henry is a nice selection in the 3rd Round.  I'm not convinced right now that he is the answer to what ails our defensive line though.  He needs to bulk up some.  He was a very effective college player but I have to see how his game speed translates to the NFL.  I'm hoping he becomes the player we are hoping for but I'm a little cautious.

At the end of the day....it is what it is.  I'm not here to rehash all of this.  The Colts picked who they did and Griggson will be evaluated based on the choices he made for better or worse.  I'll be cheering for Phillip Dorsett when he steps on the field to show out like everyone else.  I'm just pointing out that  for the original poster to just assume that everyone will be singing Griggs' praises if Dorsett becomes a stud is only looking at one side of the equation.  If the defense still sucks some fans will still look at the pick as a lost opportunity to allocate better talent towards fixing what has become an recurring achilles heel for this franchise.  

Of course you're not convinced when they didn't get the guy you wanted.  What else are you going to say?  Malcolm Brown likely would have played some DE in our scheme so Anderson can still be used as a comparison.

Either way we got Parry and Anderson so we addressed our needs.  You spoke of us missing out on Brown

in the 1st as missing out on elite talent when there was and is nothing to show he's any more elite than Anderson and his impact will most likely not be as great as Dorsetts will be for us.

I am one of those who have been sick & tired of watching my Colts get gashed by every team our running on offense needs to improve & stopping the run on D .

I will just say 1 pick at WR changes nothing we went after defense we signed defense now we need to see how it plays out , No one has crystal balls but I will just say - If our D don't stop the Run  Chuck Pagano & his DC need shipped out  .

We needed offensive line & defensive line we needed CB' & a safety  we got them in FA & the draft how has needs not been addressed ?

I am not 100 % happy that will come when my Colts take the field & show me they can stop the run .

Usually, how it works is the DC is gone with 1 more yr. on the hot seat for the head coach generally. I expect big strides this season & if INDY gets crushed in the playoffs again somebody on that staff better be dismissed immediately. We have the pieces now. Take INDY to the promiseland. No more excuses. Pedal to the medal baby.  

I know I'm demanding; So is Jimmy who wants a nice return on free agency acquistions & the moves we made in the draft. I like Chuck's regime, but the NFL is a results business & I'm not opposed to modifying the configuration on our sidelines at all. Not the entire staff just our DC if he can't make dramatic improvements in our pass rush capacity & secondary coverage. 

I was not a fan of the Dorsett pick. Nothing against him, we just have issues stopping the run (which Pagano acknowledged) and Brown and Collins were sitting there waiting for the phone to ring. 

I'm hoping this ends up like Reggie Wayne (also not a well liked pick at the time) and he turns out to be stud. I also remember that when TY gets double teamed he vanishes from games. AJ won't be here forever, and we still don't know what we have in Moncreif and Carter. 

I'm coming around on the pick. Finally. 

Just send TY and Dorsett deep, AJ on a slant, and Gore out of the back field. Sit back and profit. 

I hear ya man. If Grigs & Pags had sold me on Dorsett like my friend krunk did as a special teams ace in the punt return hole, I would have felt better. However, I felt like Grigs thought of Dorsett as a WR weapon which troubled me given or surplus there at that position & our inability to stop the ground game. I felt better once we got Anderson from Stanford though which calmed me down thankfully later on. 

Of course you're not convinced when they didn't get the guy you wanted.  What else are you going to say?  Malcolm Brown likely would have played some DE in our scheme so Anderson can still be used as a comparison.

Either way we got Parry and Anderson so we addressed our needs.  You spoke of us missing out on Brown

in the 1st as missing out on elite talent when there was and is nothing to show he's any more elite than Anderson and his impact will most likely not be as great as Dorsetts will be for us.

At this point it's rather pointless for us to go back and forth because neither of us can predict the future.  This  draft pick will have to be revisited and evaluated in retrospect a few years from now.  Obviously we don't know how any draftee's career will ultimately play out.   Injuries and other factors could come into play.   

However, generally speaking prospects that are given a higher draft grade are usually given that grade for a reason.   Taking a high grade offensive player at a position of strength when there were high grade players on the defensive side of the ball where we have struggled is not a decision that I liked at the time Dorsett's name was announced.  He was a luxory in my eyes...the WR from William & Mary could probably fill the same role in our offense at a lower draft slot.  Also if Griggs felt that Dorsett was the best player available and "it wasn't even close", he could have traded down and acquired more picks instead of just taking the BPA at a position that we were already stacked at. 

Addressing existing defensive needs with our lower round picks is doing the bare minimum to fix the problem.  With the exception of Werner, Griggs seldom uses high draft picks on the defensive side.  While the offense is  continually stockpiled with young talent, our defense is relegated to be filled with aging vet retreads and a few lower round draft selections. The Colts average age on defense is the oldest in the league.

This doesn't mean that I don't like Dorsett or will not be rooting hard for him to do well.  I just didn't agree with the Colts prioritization of their needs.  At the end of the day Griggs is paid to make these decisions and I'm not.  But I will always have my own opinions as a fan.   I'm not going to back off of my stance just because Dorsett lights it up next year.  But if that happens AND our defense shows marked improvement then I will happily give Griggs his due.  But both must happen for me to reach that point.

I'll respond to you since I'm "that dude". First...Henry Anderson is a DE. Malcolm Brown is a DT. The more applicable comparison would be the Stanford DT Parra who we drafted in the sixth round. If you can't see the talent difference between Malcolm Brown and a 6th round DT then I don't know what to say to you. I'll leave it to you or anyone else who wants to do all the run defense stat comparisons between Brown and Parra. I don't have the time but would be interested if anyone cared to do it.

I agree that Henry is a nice selection in the 3rd Round. I'm not convinced right now that he is the answer to what ails our defensive line though. He needs to bulk up some. He was a very effective college player but I have to see how his game speed translates to the NFL. I'm hoping he becomes the player we are hoping for but I'm a little cautious.

At the end of the day....it is what it is. I'm not here to rehash all of this. The Colts picked who they did and Griggson will be evaluated based on the choices he made for better or worse. I'll be cheering for Phillip Dorsett when he steps on the field to show out like everyone else. I'm just pointing out that for the original poster to just assume that everyone will be singing Griggs' praises if Dorsett becomes a stud is only looking at one side of the equation. If the defense still sucks some fans will still look at the pick as a lost opportunity to allocate better talent towards fixing what has become an recurring achilles heel for this franchise.

The Colts have lost DE in Redding. The Colts have DT in Jones. The Colts have drafted DE in Anderson, who is better than Brown. Why compare Brown to Parry? Compare Brown to Jones. If you don't think WR is a need because of TY and Moncrief, why should I think DT is a need, when the Colts have Jones and Kerr as a DTs?

The Colts have lost DE in Redding. The Colts have DT in Jones. The Colts have drafted DE in Anderson, who is better than Brown. Why compare Brown to Parry? Compare Brown to Jones. If you don't think WR is a need because of TY and Moncrief, why should I think DT is a need, when the Colts have Jones and Kerr as a DTs?

Jones and Kerr were our DTs last year when our defense was gashed by New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh. Yet they will man the middle again for us this year.  I'm concerned by that.  I was hoping for more of an upgrade there than simply adding a 6th round prospect in Parra to the equation.  Colts lost Redding and RJF.  Anderson will replace one and Langford was brought in to replace the other.  Probably a wash at best. At least Anderson can be moved around a bit but he needs to bulk up more for the NFL and likely isn't a better option at DT than who we already have.  Also rookies usually take some time to adjust and make an impact as evidenced by Werner and his struggles.  Langford is a support role type of player who is more effective on a strong defensive front.  He is decent but not really anything to get too excited about.

Our wide receivers were perhaps our strongest offensive unit as evidenced by Luck's passing yardage and the offense's overall prolific nature.  Yes...they struggled in the AFC Championship game so I can  understand wanting to add another weapon to stretch the field.  However the draft was pretty deep at receiver and I feel that could have been accomplished with a lower round draft pick.

When critics, media types or analysts assess the Colts and their prospects for winning a Super Bowl, you always hear about their inability to stop the run as the primary concern.  Pagano himself has said they will either find a way to stop the run or someone else will. Tell me when you ever heard them express concern over our plethera of  receiving options.  Traditionally, we have been very strong at that position.  When you couple in our two tight ends (Fleener & Allen) plus Doyle, Luck had no shortage of passing options.

Really, it just boils down to beating the pats.  If we beat the pats, it doesn't matter if they run for 400 yds.  The pats were the only team to run over us, and they did it TWICE, but everyone focuses on our run defense because of those two games.

The Steelers threw the ball all over the yard on us.  The Cowboys actually used a nice balanced attack.  We did a good job of stopping both the run and the pass throughout the year, it was just those two games against the pats that has everyone freaking out.

If Dorsett helps our offense put up points quickly, and forces the other team to start passing more to catch up, we will most likely win, and the Dorsett pick is brilliant.  If our offense starts slow, and we have to play catchup while the other team starts running the ball down our throats, people will get out their torches and pitchforks and make their way to Grigsons' house in angry mob fashion.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Jones and Kerr were our DTs last year when our defense was gashed by New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh. Yet they will man the middle again for us this year. I'm concerned by that. I was hoping for more of an upgrade there than simply adding a 6th round prospect in Parra to the equation. Colts lost Redding and RJF. Anderson will replace one and Langford was brought in to replace the other. Probably a wash at best. At least Anderson can be moved around a bit but he needs to bulk up more for the NFL and likely isn't a better option at DT than who we already have. Also rookies usually take some time to adjust and make an impact as evidenced by Werner and his struggles. Langford is a support role type of player who is more effective on a strong defensive front. He is decent but not really anything to get too excited about.

Our wide receivers were perhaps our strongest offensive unit as evidenced by Luck's passing yardage and the offense's overall prolific nature. Yes...they struggled in the AFC Championship game so I can understand wanting to add another weapon to stretch the field. However the draft was pretty deep at receiver and I feel that could have been accomplished with a lower round draft pick.

When critics, media types or analysts assess the Colts and their prospects for winning a Super Bowl, you always hear about their inability to stop the run as the primary concern. Pagano himself has said they will either find a way to stop the run or someone else will. Tell me when you ever heard them express concern over our plethera of receiving options. Traditionally, we have been very strong at that position. When you couple in our two tight ends (Fleener & Allen) plus Doyle, Luck had no shortage of passing options.

Last year the Colts had TY, veteran named Wayne, FA, who was on decline for two years, named Hicks, UDFA, who was kicked out of SEC program because of his character, named Rogers, and Moncrief. This group was not that impressive in february.

This year the Colts have Moncrief, veteran named TY, FA, who is on decline for two years, named Johnson, UDFA, who was kicked our of SEC program because of his character, named Carter. Yeah, let's pray for them to be good in february no matter what. Dorsett pick is a luxury. Who cares that TY, Allen, Fleener, Castonzo are FA after 2015...