Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. must really be in the Texans' head.

Dustin

I do. I really like Kendricks and where we got him. I think we will come to like Trae Waynes too when Zimmer corrects some of his flaws (prone to grabbing and getting penalties). I was hoping to get more weapons for Teddy but we chose to focus on defense. Hopefully Clemmings can step in at LT when we decide to let Matt Kalil walk.

I like your pick of Strong. A lot of Colts fans do too.

You guys got the best DB in the Draft, I liked that too, and I know a lot of us Texans wanted Kendricks over McKinney. Solid draft for both our teams :)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris and Duron have to be sick they didn't sign with your Vikings. They offered him a contract... no? The Colts signing Johnson and now drafting Dorsett has pushed him fro 3rd to 5th on the depth chart. That's not counting signing Vincent Brown who could very well make more sense than Carter as the no 5 WR.

But I doubt he would end up on the practice squad as I think at least one team would offer him a spot on the 53.

I did not want the Vikings to sign him. I wrote that in one or two of the many Duron Carter threads here. We have too many average receivers like him. I preferred keeping what we have rather than adding him. I would have liked getting one of the top 5-6 receivers in this draft, but we chose not to draft one early. We drafted Stefon Diggs from Maryland in the 5th. We also signed a few UDFA receivers. One from BYU seems promising.

Yup, but we're playing extremes this weekend. That's the counter-extreme.

Edit: I'll also point out that our offense really didn't get close to scoring most of that game. So acting like we had a great offense that didn't need any help is just ridiculous. Our offense was just as bad as our defense in the AFCCG.

lol. If we really want to dissect the title game, the team was completely outcoached. That was most glaring more so than the personnel.

You guys got the best DB in the Draft, I liked that too, and I know a lot of us Texans wanted Kendricks over McKinney. Solid draft for both our teams :)

Many of our fans wanted Marcus Peters. However, he comes with baggage. There was no way we were drafting him, especially in the first round.

I think a lot of teams drafted well. I think the much maligned Jets did very well. Their fans love someone you know, GM Mike Maccagnan. Who is the player that the Texans sent to the Jets in the draft day trade?

I won't call it dumb because it worked. But I don't think he needed the higher 4th rounder to take Geathers, so I feel like he kind of wasted a great draft trade. I liked three or four safety prospects better than Geathers. But his tape against Houston was really good...

Could have been worse. I had a strong feeling that Grigson was going to draft Tevin Coleman, not D'Joun Smith. I'm glad he did what he did. Really glad. I was wondering if he could have moved up in the second for Jordan Phillips, but that would have cost us Anderson, at the very least. All told, the two third rounders are probably my favorite picks, and I'm coming around on Geathers and Robinson.

Dorsett is gonna be awesome, even though it's an unconventional pick for us. I know people don't get it, but when he's stressing secondaries and making it easier for us to convert against tough defensive teams, I think the light will start to come on. Strictly from a "grab a great prospect" standpoint, it's a great pick.

My feelings exactly. I think he wasted the trade on Geathers, but I think Pagano sees something in him that maybe we don't. I also think he did not need to trade up for Parry. Robinson has great balance and looks something what TR was supposed to be, and actually has vision and hits the hole with speed. unlike TR.

I think the Anderson pick makes the Dorsett pick really shine.

I don't think he was ever 3rd on the depth chart. I guess technically, because we hadn't started working on the roster yet, but everything the Colts have said publicly about Carter has been very measured and reserved. Lots of 'he's being given a chance, he has to prove himself, nothing is guaranteed.' They've said they're glad they got him, but they haven't acted like they're particularly excited about getting him. And everything he's said has been about how grateful he is to be with a good team and a good QB, and how he knows this is his last chance, etc. He didn't even get a considerable guarantee. I would think that they were very straight with him about what their plans were.

There was some stuff from I think Lacorta (?) that said the Colts viewed him as a stating WR but that's just talking head chatter I guess. Could be very true it went down much like you say above. In any event , if all three of the young guys turn out to be quality WR's , it will work itself out. Things like that always do in the NFL.

Weren't both games decided by one score last year with Luck only putting up 17 in the second game? I think O'Brien is doing a pretty good job but until he gets a legit QB who very well may be Mallett or Savage than the Colts will win the division. Don't think anyone is arguing that but to insinuate the Texans are basing their draft on the Colts and not trying to get better is just silly especially for a board like this that has some pretty savvy football minds.

Nobody is saying that they didn't draft him to get better.  But to think that the Colts didn't influence the pick is foolish.  The best team in the division has a very good, small/fast receiver that tears them up.  They picked someone that matches up well with him.  If the Colts best receiver was a big/strong guy, they likely would have opted for someone bigger and more physical if the talent was close.  

If you don't think the Jets make moves to beat the Pats, or the Texans aren't influenced by the Colts, you're sadly mistaken.

Many of our fans wanted Marcus Peters. However, he comes with baggage. There was no way we were drafting him, especially in the first round.

I think a lot of teams drafted well. I think the much maligned Jets did very well. Their fans love someone you know, GM Mike Maccagnan. Who is the player that the Texans sent to the Jets in the draft day trade?

Yeah, I didn't see him going in the first either. The guy has knuckleheadaphobia and might not have learned his lesson yet, but he has a good coach over him in Kansas City. As far as the Jets go, we sent them Devier Posey. Jaelen Strong is an immediate upgrade.

Who said you can't say what you think about the pick? Stop acting so persecuted. You want to talk about how much you disliked the pick, but you don't want anyone to talk about how much they disagree with you?

I'm just saying I don't like it. I'm not trying to make anyone take my side. I just don't like it I will hope for him to be good but I won't ever like the pick no matter what he turns out to be. I've said many times I have no problem with Dorsett as a player I wish him the best it's not his fault Grigson drafted him.

I'm just hoping we don't let TY walk when his contract is up because of Dorsett.

I don't beleive that will happen when 1 of them are on rookie contract pay grade.  But it's possible down the road, If Dorsett becomes as big, or bigger star the T.Y.  Then when he gets the big payday, one of them could be let go, moved, etc... 

Chad (Ocho Cinco) Johnson/T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Larry Fitzgerald/Anquan Boldin.  TJ and Boldin eventually moved to to other teams.  No team can have superstars at every position.  I saw a study that says 2/3 of a teams roster turn over every three years.  Draftng BPA is the viable standard for long term viability of a franchise.  Most teams do this now in the NFL.  Some don't .  Mike Smith of Falcons is a draft by need guy.  I think Grigson is the former.

Oh, and QB's are essentially immune to the system  You either have a franchise QB, or you are looking for one.  If a potential franchise QB falls to a team needing one, they may pass.  But do want to point out Ted Thompson did not pass on Aaron Rodgers, even though they already had a durable Brett Favre for another 3 or more years.  BPA... and they took it.  Worked out for them as well, I'd say.  I think Dorsett will too.

I don't beleive that will happen when 1 of them are on rookie contract pay grade.  But it's possible down the road, If Dorsett becomes as big, or bigger star the T.Y.  Then when he gets the big payday, one of them could be let go, moved, etc... 

Chad (Ocho Cinco) Johnson/T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Larry Fitzgerald/Anquan Boldin.  TJ and Boldin eventually moved to to other teams.  No team can have superstars at every position.  I saw a study that says 2/3 of a teams roster turn over every three years.  Draftng BPA is the viable standard for long term viability of a franchise.  Most teams do this now in the NFL.  Some don't .  Mike Smith of Falcons is a draft by need guy.  I think Grigson is the former.

Oh, and QB's are essentially immune to the system  You either have a franchise QB, or you are looking for one.  If a potential franchise QB falls to a team needing one, they may pass.  But do want to point out Ted Thompson did not pass on Aaron Rodgers, even though they already had a durable Brett Favre for another 3 or more years.  BPA... and they took it.  Worked out for them as well, I'd say.  I think Dorsett will too.

I agree. I just mean I hope we can re-sign Hilton to a contract and have them play together for at least a few years. I just hope Hilton doesn't leave Indy after this season is up.

Qbs are not immune to the system as you pointed out with Rodgers and also Brady. The Pats had three QBs on the 2000 roster, franchise starter Bledsoe, a million dollar back-up in Huard and were developing Michael Bishop. QB was not a need at all for that team and Bill said as much when he has talked about the 2000 draft but his team had a lot of value placed on Brady and figured he would be gone by round 3 or 4 so when he was there at 6 they felt they had to take him because of the value.

I think smart GMs understand when there is a value pick or BPA to be made during a draft but overall the draft is there for teams to fill needs. That is job number one. There is no need to draft at positions of strength based solely on BPA if you have glaring needs elsewhere and players available to fill those needs.

Draft a cornerback in round 1 and then try to trade back into the first for a T.Y. carbon copy?

Yeah, he's gettin' to them.

You should go read some of the comments on thier forum, especially under the Colts thread they have there. It's comical, some of their fans are far more delusional in their comments than seen even here.

Qbs are not immune to the system as you pointed out with Rodgers and also Brady. The Pats had three QBs on the 2000 roster, franchise starter Bledsoe, a million dollar back-up in Huard and were developing Michael Bishop. QB was not a need at all for that team and Bill said as much when he has talked about the 2000 draft but his team had a lot of value placed on Brady and figured he would be gone by round 3 or 4 so when he was there at 6 they felt they had to take him because of the value.

I think smart GMs understand when there is a value pick or BPA to be made during a draft but overall the draft is there for teams to fill needs. That is job number one.

***   There is no need to draft at positions of strength based solely on BPA if you have glaring needs elsewhere and players available to fill those needs.  ***

Yes, you do draft best talent you can, especially if that player is graded at or better than the pick slot they're being chosen in.  Even if it is not a perceived position of need. You do not  reach deep down the board for a second round grade player for your first round pick because he fills a need and is available.

Grigson says Dorsett was way higher on his big board than Brown.  That board was constructed with the full agreement of Grigson, Pagano, coaching, and scouting staff after many meetings discussing players and ranking sessions.  Once constructed, you stay true to it. If not, why did you and scouting staff even go through all the hard work evaluatiing?

Yes, you do draft best talent you can, especially if that player is graded at or better than the pick slot they're being chosen in.  Even if it is not a perceived position of need. You do not  reach deep down the board for a second round grade player for your first round pick because he fills a need and is available.

Grigson says Dorsett was way higher on his big board than Brown.  That board was constructed with the full agreement of Grigson, Pagano, coaching, and scouting staff after many meetings discussing players and ranking sessions.  Once constructed, you stay true to it. If not, why did you and scouting staff even go through all the hard work evaluatiing?

I suppose there is two schools of thought on this. You can draft BPA and then have s surplus of players at one position and not fill your most pertinent needs. I think as with everything there is a balance. The draft is primarily there to help teams fill needs. That is its purpose. That being said, as you say, if there is a player you feel is a stand out talent then of course you take him. I think with Dorsett the Colts seem to be the only team that him number one on their BPA board which either means Grigson perhaps sees something no else does or he is off on this pick. We will find out soon enough. The other thing here is Dorsett is very similar to TY so the selection seems curious at best as basically you got a receiver who is similar to one you already have so even though his value may be great, you have to question the fit on this one to some extent. So as I said, there are a lot of factors just beyond saying he was the BPA so we took him.

I suppose there is two schools of thought on this. You can draft BPA and then have s surplus of players at one position and not fill your most pertinent needs. I think as with everything there is a balance. The draft is primarily there to help teams fill needs. That is its purpose. That being said, as you say, if there is a player you feel is a stand out talent then of course you take him. I think with Dorsett the Colts seem to be the only team that him number one on their BPA board which either means Grigson perhaps sees something no else does or he is off on this pick. We will find out soon enough. The other thing here is Dorsett is very similar to TY so the selection seems curious at best as basically you got a receiver who is similar to one you already have so even though his value may be great, you have to question the fit on this one to some extent. So as I said, there are a lot of factors just beyond saying he was the BPA so we took him.

The draft is also there to draft good players. Dorsett will be a great asset for the Colts. He will be our kick/punt returner and play in the slot. TY likes to play the outside. The rest of the draft other than a late round running back was all on defense. I'm hoping DE Henry Anderson from Stanford will be able to hop in the line this season. D'Joun Smith should be able to help out Darius Butler right away as well. So overall, I like the Dorsett pick a little more than I did before. You also have to remember the Colts signed many in free agency too.

I suppose there is two schools of thought on this. You can draft BPA and then have s surplus of players at one position and not fill your most pertinent needs. I think as with everything there is a balance. The draft is primarily there to help teams fill needs. That is its purpose. That being said, as you say, if there is a player you feel is a stand out talent then of course you take him. I think with Dorsett the Colts seem to be the only team that him number one on their BPA board which either means Grigson perhaps sees something no else does or he is off on this pick. We will find out soon enough.

Interesting point at first glance, but here's a question for you.  Who scouted and decided they had to trade back up to take TY Hilton at #92 overall in 3rd round in 2012?  Two years later, who scouted and decided to take Donte Moncrief #90 overall in the third round?  Now the same guys that scouted and ultimately drafted those two potential superstars did NOT wait until round three to pick their next wide receiver in a draft, but at the top of round 1!!  And be giddy about it! So it appears to be evident he sees something extra that he had to get him now, rather than try to see if he slides like TY and Moncrief did.

I'm sure everyone in the room saw the board, how far down the list everyone else available was in comparison, and nobody in the room could suggest deviating from the board was a good idea.  So my question, do they think Dorsett will be better than the other two at some point down the road?   They invested like it will be so.

The other thing here is Dorsett is very similar to TY so the selection seems curious at best as basically you got a receiver who is similar to one you already have so even though his value may be great, you have to question the fit on this one to some extent. So as I said, there are a lot of factors just beyond saying he was the BPA so we took him.

Yes, they seem similar- T.Y. and Dorsett.  But neither are close to being like Andre Johnson, Moncrief, or especially Carter.

Player                    Height               Weight                    40 yd

Hilton                       5'9"                    178                      4.34 

Dorsett                    5'10"                  185                      4.29  / 4.27 

Moncrief                  6'2"                    221                      4.40

Johnson                  6'3"                    230                      doesn't matter -vet

Carter                     6'5"                    205                      4.58

So we already had 3 receivers not like TY.  Why not get another small burner?  The tall guys are on the team already.  Now teams that want' to blanket Hilton and place a safety over the top now has to also account for Dorsett.  You got two shutdown corners with safety help?  Now AJ or Fleener/Allen have room to roam free.  Now BB has to devise a new way to take both Hilton and Dorsett out of the game withou lettin Johnson / Allen / Fleener run amuck on them.. Ad in Frank Gore without a stacked box...

I'm excited about Dorsett.  Can't wait to see what we have with Dorsett, Hilton, Moncrief over the next few years.

The draft is primarily there to help teams fill needs. That is its purpose. 

No it isn't, and from its inception, that was never the purpose. The draft is a way to add talent. In a perfect world, you add talent at positions of need, but we all know the world isn't perfect. 

Some people think you should pass on a better player in order to address a perceived need, and I think that's backward (and based on general comments, so do most NFL GMs). Good drafting relies on good scouting, months and months of it, with film work, interviews, investigations, etc. Once you've established as a staff that "Player A is much better than Player Z," you don't take Player Z because he fits a need, not if there's a significant difference in talent. Otherwise, why spend all that time scouting and setting up a draft board?

Of course, specific situations will affect your drafting, so please don't use the incredibly trite "what if a QB is BPA?" junk that people keep throwing out there. But as a matter of principle, you stick to your scouting.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "the Colts seem to be the only ones that had him number one on their BPA board." Wouldn't that mean that only Seattle could have viewed M Brown (the Pat's huge steal at #31 ) as a first rounder ? Don't misunderstand as I know my statement is as ridiculous as can be but it's pretty close to what you have regarding Dorsett. 

No it isn't, and from it's inception, that was never the purpose. The draft is a way to add talent. In a perfect world, you add talent at positions of need, but we all know the world isn't perfect. 

Some people think you should pass on a better player in order to address a perceived need, and I think that's backward (and based on general comments, so do most NFL GMs). Good drafting relies on good scouting, months and months of it, with film work, interviews, investigations, etc. Once you've established as a staff that "Player A is much better than Player Z," you don't take Player Z because he fits a need, not if there's a significant difference in talent. Otherwise, why spend all that time scouting and setting up a draft board?

Of course, specific situations will affect your drafting, so please don't use the incredibly trite "what if a QB is BPA?" junk that people keep throwing out there. But as a matter of principle, you stick to your scouting.

It's essentially been PROVEN that teams that draft players on need over talent are cellar dwellers. There is not one GM that will admit to doing that but usually it's pretty obvious when it happens and it almost always ends up in a failed draft. 

I don't understand what you mean when you say "the Colts seem to be the only ones that had him number one on their BPA board." Wouldn't that mean that only Seattle could have viewed M Brown (the Pat's huge steal at #31 ) as a first rounder ? Don't misunderstand as I know my statement is as ridiculous as can be but it's pretty close to what you have regarding Dorsett. 

The part you keep missing is the Pats took a player to fill one of their biggest needs while the Colts took a player that was a strength on their team.

No it isn't, and from it's inception, that was never the purpose. The draft is a way to add talent. In a perfect world, you add talent at positions of need, but we all know the world isn't perfect. 

It's not that world isn't perfect, good GMs do just that - add talent at positions of need.

It's not that world isn't perfect, good GMs do just that - add talent at positions of need.

I'm sorry, I need to know, are we only talking about the first round? Are we like everyone else on the Internet who thinks the only thing that matters is what happens on Thursday?

Because the Colts did add talent at positions of need. They just didn't do it in order of greatest need. And no team does. It's impossible. 

I'm sorry, I need to know, are we only talking about the first round? Are we like everyone else on the Internet who thinks the only thing that matters is what happens on Thursday?

Because the Colts did add talent at positions of need. They just didn't do it in order of greatest need. And no team does. It's impossible. 

Yes, I have only been talking about the first round which is the round that the best talent is available to fill the most pressing needs.

The part you keep missing is the Pats took a player to fill one of their biggest needs while the Colts took a player that was a strength on their team.

Considering the Pattys shut T.Y down it certainly was not a strength in the A.F.C Championship ,

Strength will be another speed WR our receiving corp regardless of how it looks on paper we  needed Dorsett he & T.Y & Dante Moncrief & Andre Johnson with our TE's & a improved run game will maximize Andrew Lucks options as long as the O=line has improved this year will be awesome .

The Colts also filled needs on both sides of the ball it does'nt matter in what order . Theres 2 ways to do everything while the Colts & Patriots ways are different paths both led to the AFC Championship Game . So IMO the biggest need is to WIN & this pick will help in that endeavor . Maybe our next game should be played with frisbees no air needed . haha

Oh, and how about the Pats taking a QB in the 2nd round being "genius," yet at the same time, teams should only draft for need in the first round...?

Yeah .. that makes perfect sense. Like when they took Mallet in the 3rd round 4 years ago and were going to trade him for a "bounty of draft picks." I guess they would say JG is the QB of the future providing Brady only plays 3 years. But maybe the Colts don't want to pay TY 10 mill per starting in 2016 ? So would that count the same as the Pats drafting the QB ? Prob. not...

The Texans took a CB... so? 

Is it supposed to be a negative thing to try to strengthen your team in areas where division rivals are strong? The Colts have won the AFC South each year since Luck joined the league. For the teams trying to knock them off the top of the heap, it's all about matching up well with your primary competition. It's why the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins all usually have decent defenses at worst. 

Yeah .. that makes perfect sense. Like when they took Mallet in the 3rd round 4 years ago and were going to trade him for a "bounty of draft picks." I guess they would say JG is the QB of the future providing Brady only plays 3 years. But maybe the Colts don't want to pay TY 10 mill per starting in 2016 ? So would that count the same as the Pats drafting the QB ? Prob. not...

I don't have a problem with them taking the QB. It's just ironic -- something that comes up often with AM -- that the Pats taking a QB in the second round is okay, even though there's pretty much zero chance he'll do anything to help them in the immediate future, but the Colts taking a receiver in the first round considered a miss. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that -- barring an injury to Brady -- Dorsett will do more for the Colts during his rookie contract than JG will for the Pats.

But the JG pick was heralded by AM as "forward thinking." Yeah, okay...

I don't have a problem with them taking the QB. It's just ironic -- something that comes up often with AM -- that the Pats taking a QB in the second round is okay, even though there's pretty much zero chance he'll do anything to help them in the immediate future, but the Colts taking a receiver in the first round considered a miss. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that -- barring an injury to Brady -- Dorsett will do more for the Colts during his rookie contract than JG will for the Pats.

I had no problem with either of the last two QB's that were BTW.. both drafted in high rounds. I was just commenting on the "genius" of those picks. With Mallett , they stole him in the 3rd .. "should have gone early 2nd." Then the talk was how he was going to develop under BB and Brady and how they were going to trade him after year 2 or 3 for a "large profit." But anyway.. I thought both picks were OK .. not great and not bad and probably about right where both QB's should have been selected. 

lol. You guys are too much. Brady was 37 last year so taking a QB in the second round given they had no other young QBs in development makes perfect sense as they have ear marked him as Brady's replacement. As much as Brady appears to be immortal coming off his fourth title, his window is closing fast.

I will say this though, this could be the proverbial straw for Grison losing his job given he has already wasted two first round picks. Especially if Malcolm Brown goes on to wreak havoc in the Colts backfield not allowing Luck to find his shiny targets ...

Considering the Pattys shut T.Y down it certainly was not a strength in the A.F.C Championship ,

Strength will be another speed WR our receiving corp regardless of how it looks on paper we  needed Dorsett he & T.Y & Dante Moncrief & Andre Johnson with our TE's & a improved run game will maximize Andrew Lucks options as long as the O=line has improved this year will be awesome .

The Colts also filled needs on both sides of the ball it does'nt matter in what order . Theres 2 ways to do everything while the Colts & Patriots ways are different paths both led to the AFC Championship Game . So IMO the biggest need is to WIN & this pick will help in that endeavor . Maybe our next game should be played with frisbees no air needed . haha

Forget Frisbees, let's go with a bar soap given your TE Allen said the Pats could have beaten you with that last game. :thmup:

lol. You guys are too much. Brady was 37 last year so taking a QB in the second round given they had no other young QBs in development makes perfect sense as they have ear marked him as Brady's replacement. As much as Brady appears to be immortal coming off his fourth title, his window is closing fast.

I will say this though, this could be the proverbial straw for Grison losing his job given he has already wasted two first round picks. Especially if Malcolm Brown goes on to wreak havoc in the Colts backfield not allowing Luck to find his shiny targets ...

You said: The part you keep missing is the Pats took a player to fill one of their biggest needs

So that's of primary importance in the first round, but not the second round? There are ten players in the next 30 picks after JG that would have benefited the Pats more than JG, and those players will do more for their teams than JG will ever do for the Pats. They could have drafted a young, developmental QB later in the draft. They could have signed a young QB.

This whole 'need trumps all' approach to analyzing a draft is, well, wrong. Everyone does it, and it's still wrong. It's as wrong in the first round as it is in the second and beyond. And there's no way to reconcile calling the JG pick "forward thinking" while at the same time banging the table for 'need trumps all.' It's two-faced, at best, and entirely devoid of real analysis. That's not what the draft is for, and it's not how good teams draft.

As for Grigson's job, I'm not worried about that at all. And I get the feeling that no one is worried about Malcom Brown. But good luck with that...