Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. must really be in the Texans' head.

Dustin

I think the QB position is viewed a little differently since you normally play only 1 in a formation... geez... c'mon now .. let's not be silly. Anyway if you need further explanation , teams often employ 3 WR's in the same formation and teams cannot afford to spend like 35 -40 mill of cap money on the QB position , which is what you would be doing by pairing Luck with Winston.

LOL... hope that helps. Always did have fun posting with you.

I get that but come on, WR?? The Colts were in the conference title game and were clearly not able to compete on the lines. I have not understood what Grigson has been doing from FA right through the draft. The Colts are close, real close to being that team in the AFC but not with the lines. I guess we will see how things pan out with the linemen you did take. But the WR pick is unjustifiable IMO unless you think TY might be gone??

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't both games decided by one score last year with Luck only putting up 17 in the second game? I think O'Brien is doing a pretty good job but until he gets a legit QB who very well may be Mallett or Savage than the Colts will win the division. Don't think anyone is arguing that but to insinuate the Texans are basing their draft on the Colts and not trying to get better is just silly especially for a board like this that has some pretty savvy football minds.

Divisional games with good teams are often very toughly contested. You know that very well. Fact is the Colts won the division by 3 games when you consider the tie breaker they had clinched over the Texans by week 14. Plus the Colts had losses vs the two teams they earned by winning the division in 2013. NE and Denver. The Texans with their last place finish played Oakland and a Buff team ( playing Manual at the time) that resulted in two wins. So you might want to say that the Colts in the 14 common games they had that matched the same 14 games the Texans had in common finished a whopping 5 FIVE games ahead of them. 

Si .. no I don't feel these teams are close to being equal , but stranger things have happened. And other than teams in Luck's division trying to improve their pass rush and CB position.. no I don't think they base their drafts on what the Colts do. I also don't think many of our regular guys or girls are saying that. But I really didn't read through this whole thread so I could be mistaken there.

I think the QB position is viewed a little differently since you normally play only 1 in a formation... geez... c'mon now .. let's not be silly. Anyway if you need further explanation , teams often employ 3 WR's in the same formation and teams cannot afford to spend like 35 -40 mill of cap money on the QB position , which is what you would be doing by pairing Luck with Winston.

LOL... hope that helps. Always did have fun posting with you.

I wonder if people really think that "reasoning" is clever. If you can't understand what BPA means, then just say so. 

I get that but come on, WR?? The Colts were in the conference title game and were clearly not able to compete on the lines. I have not understood what Grigson has been doing from FA right through the draft. The Colts are close, real close to being that team in the AFC but not with the lines. I guess we will see how things pan out with the linemen you did take. But the WR pick is unjustifiable IMO unless you think TY might be gone??

If Dorsett is not a special WR you are right on this. Did you see the senior bowl drills on the film they showed draft day. He was literally making monkeys out of the DB's trying to cover him. I never watched Malcom Brown nor did I see the two safeties that went in the next 3-4 picks play. All I'm saying is Grigson had him 15 on the board and the defensive guys 33 and lower , IMO he made the correct choice.

Montcrief ... not a great route runner and catches with his body. 

Andre Johnson might be a 1 and done at his age.

Carter... failed in the NFL in his first try. He only received the following contract "According to Stampede Blue, who got their info from our friend Tom Pelissero, Carter's contract is a three-year pact worth $1.575 million. There is no signing bonus in the contract, and of his $435,000 base salary, only $25,000 is guaranteed.

Contrast that to the last CFL wide receiver that the Vikings brought in, when they signed Emmanuel Arceneaux to a contract early in 2011. Arceneaux's deal was also a three-year deal, but it was worth approximately $1.8 million, along with a signing bonus of $75,000."

Hilton.. yes he's good.

But if you really look at what's above , it's not as outrageous as it looks.

That actually sounds like a good plan. But Andre left Houston because he didn't want to be in a reduced role, so him splitting time on the field with a second year player might not sit well with him. There's only one ball to go around but I guess we'll see how it goes. I think the coaches brought Carter in to be more then just a practice squad receiver, so they will need to see if he is worth their time by letting him play I would think.

I think the NFL needs to see Carter in action, especially his work habits in person, for a year before they can rely upon him for anything.

I don't think Moncrief is ready for steady #2 work. I'm sure AJ will get most of the PT but surely needs to come out once in a while to keep him fresh for the whole season.

I wonder if people really think that "reasoning" is clever. If you can't understand what BPA means, then just say so. 

I think the dumbest thing Grigson did in this draft was chance losing Smith by moving up in the 4th round. Did you see Gruden's tape on J Smith ? Kid is a total stud , Gruden pretty much called him the best all around CB in the draft. Stats for 2015 were 2 completed pass in 11 attempts . Think maybe teams stayed away from him atet he dominated in his Jr year ? That's one pass per game. Plus he probably could have drafted the safety at 4.28. But he didn't know that...

He also killed it with Anderson in the 3rd and Robinson in the 6th. Way too early to tell but I think this was a great draft.

In 2014, Anderson had the most quarterback pressures of any interior defensive lineman in college football, according to Pro Football Focus. Anderson finished with top-four grades both against the run and against pass, and was an oft-mentioned sleeper in the pre-draft process.

If Dorsett is not a special WR you are right on this. Did you see the senior bowl drills on the film they showed draft day. He was literally making monkeys out of the DB's trying to cover him. I never watched Malcom Brown nor did I see the two safeties that went in the next 3-4 picks play. All I'm saying is Grigson had him 15 on the board and the defensive guys 33 and lower , IMO he made the correct choice.

Montcrief ... not a great route runner and catches with his body. 

Andre Johnson might be a 1 and done at his age.

Carter... failed in the NFL in his first try. He only received the following contract "According to Stampede Blue, who got their info from our friend Tom Pelissero, Carter's contract is a three-year pact worth $1.575 million. There is no signing bonus in the contract, and of his $435,000 base salary, only $25,000 is guaranteed.

Contrast that to the last CFL wide receiver that the Vikings brought in, when they signed Emmanuel Arceneaux to a contract early in 2011. Arceneaux's deal was also a three-year deal, but it was worth approximately $1.8 million, along with a signing bonus of $75,000."

Hilton.. yes he's good.

But if you really look at what's above , it's not as outrageous as it looks.

I am not saying Dorsett might not turn into a good to great player, but your offense was the highest scoring offense during much of last season and finished in the top 5 for points scored. It was not an issue with the team especially given you picked up AJ in FA along with Gore to help the run game. There were other defensive players besides Brown to be had and that really should have superseded Grigson's BPA at that spot IMO. But I guess we will see how it pans out but I get the sense that Grigs does not seem to see the issues with the lines that everyone else does. Again JMO.

I am not saying Dorsett might not turn into a good to great player, but your offense was the highest scoring offense during much of last season and finished in the top 5 for points scored. It was not an issue with the team especially given you picked up AJ in FA along with Gore to help the run game. There were other defensive players besides Brown to be had and that really should have superseded Grigson's BPA at that spot IMO. But I guess we will see how it pans out but I get the sense that Grigs does not seem to see the issues with the lines that everyone else does. Again JMO.

you are right When your offense is top in the league you have no reason to draft a WR in the 1st round

I think the dumbest thing Grigson did in this draft was chance losing Smith by moving up in the 4th round. Did you see Gruden's tape on J Smith ? Kid is a total stud , Gruden pretty much called him the best all around CB in the draft. Stats for 2015 were 2 completed pass in 11 attempts . Think maybe teams stayed away from him atet he dominated in his Jr year ? That's one pass per game. Plus he probably could have drafted the safety at 4.28. But he didn't know that...

He also killed it with Anderson in the 3rd and Robinson in the 6th. Way too early to tell but I think this was a great draft.

In 2014, Anderson had the most quarterback pressures of any interior defensive lineman in college football, according to Pro Football Focus. Anderson finished with top-four grades both against the run and against pass, and was an oft-mentioned sleeper in the pre-draft process.

I won't call it dumb because it worked. But I don't think he needed the higher 4th rounder to take Geathers, so I feel like he kind of wasted a great draft trade. I liked three or four safety prospects better than Geathers. But his tape against Houston was really good...

Could have been worse. I had a strong feeling that Grigson was going to draft Tevin Coleman, not D'Joun Smith. I'm glad he did what he did. Really glad. I was wondering if he could have moved up in the second for Jordan Phillips, but that would have cost us Anderson, at the very least. All told, the two third rounders are probably my favorite picks, and I'm coming around on Geathers and Robinson.

Dorsett is gonna be awesome, even though it's an unconventional pick for us. I know people don't get it, but when he's stressing secondaries and making it easier for us to convert against tough defensive teams, I think the light will start to come on. Strictly from a "grab a great prospect" standpoint, it's a great pick.

I won't call it dumb because it worked. But I don't think he needed the higher 4th rounder to take Geathers, so I feel like he kind of wasted a great draft trade. I liked three or four safety prospects better than Geathers. But his tape against Houston was really good...

Could have been worse. I had a strong feeling that Grigson was going to draft Tevin Coleman, not D'Joun Smith. I'm glad he did what he did. Really glad. I was wondering if he could have moved up in the second for Jordan Phillips, but that would have cost us Anderson, at the very least. All told, the two third rounders are probably my favorite picks, and I'm coming around on Geathers and Robinson.

Dorsett is gonna be awesome, even though it's an unconventional pick for us. I know people don't get it, but when he's stressing secondaries and making it easier for us to convert against tough defensive teams, I think the light will start to come on. Strictly from a "grab a great prospect" standpoint, it's a great pick.

I really didn't mean to say it was dumb . I just meant that it really could have backfired as they loved Smith and didn't use the 17 places in round 4. Im sure Grigson had players rated close to Smith or he would not have done it. Also easy to say he probably could have traded back down in round 4 and still had Geathers available at the bottom of the round but maybe he didn't fell that way or had no partner.

That actually sounds like a good plan. But Andre left Houston because he didn't want to be in a reduced role, so him splitting time on the field with a second year player might not sit well with him. There's only one ball to go around but I guess we'll see how it goes. I think the coaches brought Carter in to be more then just a practice squad receiver, so they will need to see if he is worth their time by letting him play I would think.

He left Houston on part because they were seeming him as an luxury when they were rebuilding and he had a high cap (i think he would stay if they maintained his salary), so he came to Indy because he thinks Indy is he best opportunity to him to win a Lombardy, so i quote him " I didn't come to Indy to be the big dog" , so he is willing to take less charge because he wants to win a Ring , so the Texans and Colts teams are on different parts right now, he came here to win , he was on Houston because he loved to play for that team(i think but i'm not sure).

But never mind he is gonna have a bigger role he is gonna be the 1 or 2nd WR i mean TY is gonna be double coverage all the season he AJ is gonna be a career year i'm calling right now!!!.

Wow. Aren't you always chiding folks for not overreacting to one game?

Yup, but we're playing extremes this weekend. That's the counter-extreme.

Edit: I'll also point out that our offense really didn't get close to scoring most of that game. So acting like we had a great offense that didn't need any help is just ridiculous. Our offense was just as bad as our defense in the AFCCG.

You guys crack me up. The Texans jumped for joy when the Colts selected a WR in round one instead of Dline. And I would think the Texans front with Watt, Clowney and Wilfork will be able to disrupt Luck enough so he does not have time to find all his weapons ...

Clowney?? he is coming from a bad knee surgery, Wilfork almost all the NE fans were saying that he wasn't the same, that he was old and stuff, many said that he is just average, the FREAKING MONSTER JJ WATT is the main threat to all the teams to play against the Texans, so Dline was a priority but we got 2 good DLimen(BB had in the sight Parry), and don't forget that NE lost their 2 CB and don't begin to say that BB is gonna replace them with UDFA/FA because you don't simply replace Darrelle Revis.

I really didn't mean to say it was dumb . I just meant that it really could have backfired as they loved Smith and didn't use the 17 places in round 4. Im sure Grigson had players rated close to Smith or he would not have done it. Also easy to say he probably could have traded back down in round 4 and still had Geathers available at the bottom of the round but maybe he didn't fell that way or had no partner.

I don't know anyone's board, of course. I think the Pats overdrafted the Stanford safety by three rounds. So I can say that I think Geathers was a 5th or 6th rounder, but that doesn't mean he still would have been there. There are about 30 picks in the top four rounds that I found really surprising.

Same logic applies to the Smith pick. And the Packers and Pats took DBs between #61 and #65; they easily could have been eyeing Smith. It was dangerous, but trading down always is. Still, Washington and NYJ moved back from their picks before #70, so there was lots of room for movement. And that's something Grigson said in his Day 2 presser; they had a lot of opportunities to move around, and there were lots of good players in those two rounds. 

That's a war room I wish I had been in. Seattle and Minnesota were busy, too.

When you only score 7 points in the AFCCG, you need all the offensive help you can get.

See how that works?

ok well let me put it this way. You don't draft a WR in the first when one of the deepest positons in the draft is WR. And your offense is top 5 in the league ll season.

ok well let me put it this way. You don't draft a WR in the first when one of the deepest positons in the draft is WR. And your offense is top 5 in the league ll season.

Yeah, put it that way if you want. It's still wrong. One thing really has nothing to do with the other.

I don't know anyone's board, of course. I think the Pats overdrafted the Stanford safety by three rounds. So I can say that I think Geathers was a 5th or 6th rounder, but that doesn't mean he still would have been there. There are about 30 picks in the top four rounds that I found really surprising.

Same logic applies to the Smith pick. And the Packers and Pats took DBs between #61 and #65; they easily could have been eyeing Smith. It was dangerous, but trading down always is. Still, Washington and NYJ moved back from their picks before #70, so there was lots of room for movement. And that's something Grigson said in his Day 2 presser; they had a lot of opportunities to move around, and there were lots of good players in those two rounds. 

That's a war room I wish I had been in. Seattle and Minnesota were busy, too.

I agree that round 2 and 3 were no doubt the strong point of this draft.

I also think the first round was very strange. About 20 players with first round grades. Fowler , Cooper and Williams Imo were studs. The two top picks were very risky QB's... again my opinion but I think Winston could easily be a bust and Mariotta has average arm strength and played out of a spread offense. Never had to throw balls in a tight window. But I like him better than Winston and I think he will be good to very good. 

I wonder if Cris and Duron are regretting the decision to sign with the Colts. He did not sign to be on the practice squad.

How do you like your draft?

I think the NFL needs to see Carter in action, especially his work habits in person, for a year before they can rely upon him for anything.

I don't think Moncrief is ready for steady #2 work. I'm sure AJ will get most of the PT but surely needs to come out once in a while to keep him fresh for the whole season.

Yeah but Carter actually needs to play in order for teams to gauge anything on him. I too think Andre will get the most time, but between all these receivers, someone isn't going to get the production they might desire.

He left Houston on part because they were seeming him as an luxury when they were rebuilding and he had a high cap (i think he would stay if they maintained his salary), so he came to Indy because he thinks Indy is he best opportunity to him to win a Lombardy, so i quote him " I didn't come to Indy to be the big dog" , so he is willing to take less charge because he wants to win a Ring , so the Texans and Colts teams are on different parts right now, he came here to win , he was on Houston because he loved to play for that team(i think but i'm not sure).

But never mind he is gonna have a bigger role he is gonna be the 1 or 2nd WR i mean TY is gonna be double coverage all the season he AJ is gonna be a career year i'm calling right now!!!.

I don't see a career year happening for AJ at this point but he could very well have a big year.

I wonder if Cris and Duron are regretting the decision to sign with the Colts. He did not sign to be on the practice squad.

They very well could be, no one in the league expected them to go wideout number one. I'm sure Favre wasn't happy when Rodgers went in the first but I digress.

I actually really liked our draft. I liked the trading up bc in my opinion this draft wasn't an overall very deep one, and Smith was aggressive in going out and getting impact players. I heard we wanted Lockett which would have been great but Strong in the third is a steal. Did you like the Vikes selections?

whatever you wanna think to justify taking a WR in the first

Out of all the mocks posted here, I don't remember a single poster mocking a receiver in the first. He's a good player but yeah, I'm with you and AM on it being a questionable pick.

I agree that round 2 and 3 were no doubt the strong point of this draft.

I also think the first round was very strange. About 20 players with first round grades. Fowler , Cooper and Williams Imo were studs. The two top picks were very risky QB's... again my opinion but I think Winston could easily be a bust and Mariotta has average arm strength and played out of a spread offense. Never had to throw balls in a tight window. But I like him better than Winston and I think he will be good to very good. 

Agreed.

Out of all the mocks posted here, I don't remember a single poster mocking a receiver in the first. He's a good player but yeah, I'm with you and AM on it being a questionable pick.

it was stupid and most here prolly know it but they wanna complain about people complaint about the pick cause I guess were supposed to love everything Grigson does no matter how dumb it is

it was stupid and most here prolly know it but they wanna complain about people complaint about the pick cause I guess were supposed to love everything Grigson does no matter how dumb it is

Yeah, every fanbase has those types. Fan is short for fanatical, though, so don't be too surprised.

That has to be one of the worst sentences ever composed.

They very well could be, no one in the league expected them to go wideout number one. I'm sure Favre wasn't happy when Rodgers went in the first but I digress.

I actually really liked our draft. I liked the trading up bc in my opinion this draft wasn't an overall very deep one, and Smith was aggressive in going out and getting impact players. I heard we wanted Lockett which would have been great but Strong in the third is a steal. Did you like the Vikes selections?

I do. I really like Kendricks and where we got him. I think we will come to like Trae Waynes too when Zimmer corrects some of his flaws (prone to grabbing and getting penalties). I was hoping to get more weapons for Teddy but we chose to focus on defense. Hopefully Clemmings can step in at LT when we decide to let Matt Kalil walk.

I like your pick of Strong. A lot of Colts fans do too.

Did you have to write that? You know what he means.

BTW, how is Syndergaard? Is he still on your team? I have to get that in whenever I quote you.

I gave it careful consideration before making that comment. I just couldn't help it . Go back and read that atrocity again...

We traded him in our one league and still have in the other. He is just starting to pitch now as he developed some soreness in spring training. I'm beginning to think he's one of those guys with great stuff that just get hit more than they should. 

Chris and Duron have to be sick they didn't sign with your Vikings. They offered him a contract... no? The Colts signing Johnson and now drafting Dorsett has pushed him fro 3rd to 5th on the depth chart. That's not counting signing Vincent Brown who could very well make more sense than Carter as the no 5 WR.

But I doubt he would end up on the practice squad as I think at least one team would offer him a spot on the 53. 

But me and the others that hated this pick can't?

Who said you can't say what you think about the pick? Stop acting so persecuted. You want to talk about how much you disliked the pick, but you don't want anyone to talk about how much they disagree with you? 

Chris and Duron have to be sick they didn't sign with your Vikings. They offered him a contract... no? The Colts signing Johnson and now drafting Dorsett has pushed him fro 3rd to 5th on the depth chart. That's not counting signing Vincent Brown who could very well make more sense than Carter as the no 5 WR.

But I doubt he would end up on the practice squad as I think at least one team would offer him a spot on the 53. 

I don't think he was ever 3rd on the depth chart. I guess technically, because we hadn't started working on the roster yet, but everything the Colts have said publicly about Carter has been very measured and reserved. Lots of 'he's being given a chance, he has to prove himself, nothing is guaranteed.' They've said they're glad they got him, but they haven't acted like they're particularly excited about getting him. And everything he's said has been about how grateful he is to be with a good team and a good QB, and how he knows this is his last chance, etc. He didn't even get a considerable guarantee. I would think that they were very straight with him about what their plans were.