Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Falcons win the draft

Superman

Both will be busts imo.

We see it every draft, top prospects fizzle out and are out of the league or become journeyman back-ups within a few years. So to proclaim the Falcons (or any other team) as "winning" the draft due to the acquisition of top prospects is a dicey endeavor. 

No one is talking about the Jets' draft.  They got arguably the best player in Leonard Williams.  They got a very underrated receiver in Smith.  Then they get a really solid player in Mauldin.  That's 3 very good starters in your first 3 draft picks.

We all know its too early to tell but I could just as easily look at our draft and say imo we got the best corner in the draft (my favorite) and the second best wr in this class. I think Dorsett and Smith can be pro bowlers...and Anderson I think can be a starter quality player...that isn't anything to sneeze at imo....I think we did just as well as any other team...especially those drafting in the playoff positions.

No one is talking about the Jets' draft. They got arguably the best player in Leonard Williams. They got a very underrated receiver in Smith. Then they get a really solid player in Mauldin. That's 3 very good starters in your first 3 draft picks.

Many teams had pretty good drafts, the Jets included. There are some threads here about selecting best player available (BPA). Jets clearly went BPA, as DL was a position of strength for them. Their fans are pretty pumped up about Leonard Williams and the other players they drafted.

I am rooting a lot for Lorenzo Mauldin, who had to endure life in 16 different foster homes during his youth. He seems like a humble and upstanding young man who persevered through hardship and went on to earn his degree. He seems so thankful for the opportunity to play in the NFL. I wish him much success.

Jaguars had the best draft for me (minus the TJ Yeldon pick).

Even the Yeldon pick made sense if you listened to their GM explain the logic.  It sounds like they were prepared to trade back into the first round to get one of the top 2 backs in the draft, but both came off the board so quickly that they had to make a call.  They rated Yeldon as the 3rd best back in the draft, mostly because he was more of a 3 down back which is something the Jaguars didn't have on the roster coming into the draft. 

It seems like they got a lot of love from analysts grading the draft after the fact, and looking at the value they got for some of their mid round picks, it makes sense.