Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst 1st rounder selection

So who would your pick in the first have been ?  Without that info we won't be able to really rub your nose in some poop if Dorsett turns out to be great. So et's have it and we'll revisit next year.

I know this was directed at another poster .... I don't think Dorsett was the worst pick, and I think he will likely be a good player.  I was in even on board with a WR at some point in this draft; but I don't think it was the best move for us  ... I think we could have easily traded back into the top half of the second and got a good defensive player and 2-3 extra picks.  ... or maybe just grab D Randall which would have ended up allowing us to get Clemmings (or someone else) in the 4th ... or even stay with the Geathers pick if they were really high on him. it's not like two safeties would have been bad for us. 

I know this was directed at another poster .... I don't think Dorsett was the worst pick, and I think he will likely be a good player.  I was in even on board with a WR at some point in this draft; but I don't think it was the best move for us  ... I think we could have easily traded back into the top half of the second and got a good defensive player and 2-3 extra picks.  ... or maybe just grab D Randall which would have ended up allowing us to get Clemmings (or someone else) in the 4th ... or even stay with the Geathers pick if they were really high on him. it's not like two safeties would have been bad for us. 

Point is that poster is pretty much saying that this is a bad pick regardless of how Dorsett turns out. So how do we revisit this to see how valid his complaint is unless he tells us who w should have picked ? You are kind of on that same wave length by giving yourself pretty much every defensive player past pick 29. We can revisit by saying we should have taken Randell instead. That is legit. 

Here's the point of issue. Grigson says he has Dorsett rated around 15th and the player considered (Brown) to be the best defensive player rated as a 2nd rounder. You have to take Dorsett if that's what your board says. Or you ca trade down as you say .. but another team has to want that spot. It would have been Houston as they wanted Dorsett but they never would have traded with the Colts as they figured we would go defense.

Cincinatti taking Cedric Ogbuehi.  With all the directions they could have gone, they roll the dice on a possible 3rd rounder coming off an ACL.  To me that was foolish and unnecessary. 

At least Shaq Thompson is healthy.  I feel like Ozzy Newsome settled a little with Perriman but we'll see how that plays out.

Point is that poster is pretty much saying that this is a bad pick regardless of how Dorsett turns out. So how do we revisit this to see how valid his complaint is unless he tells us who w should have picked ? You are kind of on that same wave length by giving yourself pretty much every defensive player past pick 29. We can revisit by saying we should have taken Randell instead. That is legit.

Here's the point of issue. Grigson says he has Dorsett rated around 15th and the player considered (Brown) to be the best defensive player rated as a 2nd rounder. You have to take Dorsett if that's what your board says. Or you ca trade down as you say .. but another team has to want that spot. It would have been Houston as they wanted Dorsett but they never would have traded with the Colts as they figured we would go defense.

you say Grigs seen brown as a 2nd rounder but obviously the pats and Bill rated him in the 1st who's opinion would you trust more? The GM that has wasted all his 1st round picks but 1 or the coach GM with many SBs

you say Grigs seen brown as a 2nd rounder but obviously the pats and Bill rated him in the 1st who's opinion would you trust more? The GM that has wasted all his 1st round picks but 1 or the coach GM with many SBs

Grigs IMO is 0-1. I give him zero credit for Luck , give him a miss for Werner and he didn't have a #1 last year. That said , it's not enough of a sample to give him a far rating. BB is for sure a good coach and GM. He selected a DT last year in the first and he seemed so-so. Nobody is perfect ...

Also Grigson could have Brown rated around say.. 35th on his board . That really could be pretty close to where BB had him rated too. He did go at 1.32 which is one pick from the 2nd round. Thing is he had Dorsett at 15 so he took him. How smart was that ? Dunno but it really shouldn't be that hard to revisit and see how smart or stupid he was. 

Cincinatti taking Cedric Ogbuehi. With all the directions they could have gone, they roll the dice on a possible 3rd rounder coming off an ACL. To me that was foolish and unnecessary.

At least Shaq Thompson is healthy. I feel like Ozzy Newsome settled a little with Perriman but we'll see how that plays out.

He was never a 3rd rounder, he was top 10 before the ACL injury

Huge Colts fan here but I have to say Dorsett just because of what else we needed. The only thing more perfect that our class is if we took Malcolm Brown at 29 the traded up in the second round and taken Landon Collins and then an OL with our 3rd pick. With this said I do think our team is improved but the scenario I mentioned would have put us in even better position I believe. I still have faith though.

no problem I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about it I just won't ever like that pick and it's nothing against Dorsett

You sound a bit like this guy from Drafttek. He likes Dorsett but thought the Colts had greater needs to address. He wrote:

"With a tremendous, no.....wait..........dare I say DESPERATE need of defensive playmakers, Indy's vaunted front office goes with the mighty selection of the wide receiver from Miami, Phillip Dorsett. I can't begin to fathom the thinking that went into this selection, but I'm sure GM Ryan Grigson and Coach Chuck Pagano believe Dorsett can also play NT, defend passes from the safety position and occassionally run the ball back on kickoffs. Unbelievable.

Grade: F (And that's no reflection on Dorsett)"

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

Panthers Shaq Thompson.  I like him as a player, but if they got him as a lb, he's going to get pushed around too easily cause of his size.  If they got him as a safety, they should have grabbed Randal or Collins instead.

When Colts first selected Dorsett, I thought we made the worst pick.  Then I thought about it and figured if they added run stoppers in the front 7, Selecting Dorsett makes tons of since, being they now have the best "shoot-out" team in the NFL.  And in Parry and Anderson, they got 2 VERY good Scheme fit run stoppers who can penetrate.  So if this was Grigsons plan the entire time, he was brilliant IMO.

Edited by 21isSuperman

He was never a 3rd rounder, he was top 10 before the ACL injury

Htown you're correct. My point was that the injury downgraded him to at least round 2 and they could have taken a safer, healthy pick at another position and still possibly gotten him in the 2nd or 3rd.  Look at how far TJ Clemmings fell and he was widely regarded as a 1st rounder too.  Just my perspective on draft strategy vs. risk.

You sound a bit like this guy from Drafttek. He likes Dorsett but thought the Colts had greater needs to address. He wrote:

"With a tremendous, no.....wait..........dare I say DESPERATE need of defensive playmakers, Indy's vaunted front office goes with the mighty selection of the wide receiver from Miami, Phillip Dorsett. I can't begin to fathom the thinking that went into this selection, but I'm sure GM Ryan Grigson and Coach Chuck Pagano believe Dorsett can also play NT, defend passes from the safety position and occassionally run the ball back on kickoffs. Unbelievable.

Grade: F (And that's no reflection on Dorsett)"

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

That is exactly how I feel! We could have got Kendricks since everyone here seems to hate Brown for some stupid reason. Could have got Smith in the 2nd still and Anderson in the 3rd still then just get Terry willams to play NT. There's a good chance we could have got everyone we got still if we just changed our 1st to Kendricks.

Bill has made a lot of bad picks. He is not one of the best in the draft, at all. And I don't see how Brown fits the system.

That is exactly how I feel! We could have got Kendricks since everyone here seems to hate Brown for some stupid reason. Could have got Smith in the 2nd still and Anderson in the 3rd still then just get Terry willams to play NT. There's a good chance we could have got everyone we got still if we just changed our 1st to Kendricks.

You sound so frustrated. I get you.

Looking long term, your GM went for BPA. There is much that fans are not privy to which influence decisions. There is a blog post on this site that gives a plausible explanation for the Dorsett selection. Given that the Colts will soon be investing a lot of money to retain Luck, they may not be able to re-sign TY at the amount he believes he is worth. If you must let him walk, you will not miss a beat with Dorsett. Some of the best teams (Ravens, Pats) let some talented players leave via free agenscy and replace them with younger guys. They get compensatory picks in return.

You sound so frustrated. I get you.

Looking long term, your GM went for BPA. There is much that fans are not privy to which influence decisions. There is a blog post on this site that gives a plausible explanation for the Dorsett selection. Given that the Colts will soon be investing a lot of money to retain Luck, they may not be able to re-sign TY at the amount he believes he is worth. If you must let him walk, you will not miss a beat with Dorsett. Some of the best teams (Ravens, Pats) let some talented players leave via free agenscy and replace them with younger guys. They get compensatory picks in return.

I just think we will still be able to resign TY