Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft SS Clayton Geathers [Merge]

Unless we get Hayes Pullard or Jay Ajayi in the fifth, this will be hands-down my favorite pick of the draft. We got a BEAST. Tone-setter with all the physical tools.

Calm me down a bit and sell me on this guy, why is he better than Derron Smith, I want to be extremely happy, I love the Safety position, now I want to love the player and I don't know much about him.

Calm me down a bit and sell me on this guy, why is he better than Derron Smith, I want to be extremely happy, I love the Safety position, now I want to love the player and I don't know much about him.

Different styles, but I would grade Geathers better physically. He is also better much against the run. In our scheme (where Pagano likes interchangeable safeties), Geathers is a great fit. Much more upside to his game. The only problems he has are coachable.

• All of Geathers issues are correctable

• Takes poor angles when coming down hill
  • Poor Tackler (Prefers to just hit way to much)

My concern about him besides the bulleted points above

• Limited plays on the ball given the number of games he played

Things I like about him

• Size and length
  • Dont shy away from contact

http://www.ucfknight...ers_587165.html

Here is his bio

Draft Projection - Round 7 or priority free agent....in the 4th?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/clayton-geathers?id=2552386

They throw a grade up way too early in the process, and then they refuse to change it. Ever. Fourth is the earliest I'd expect him to go, but he would never make it to our fifth. We probably could have traded back once, but there is no need to risk it here.

According to CBS sports, he has the potential to be Brian Dawkings.

Potential Brian Dawkings drafted in the 4th or potential Brian Dawkings drafted in the 7th?

Seems like many of the posters are hyper sensitive about not over drafting and looking for value pics...... unless we don't and then that's perfectly okay.

Draft Projection - Round 7 or priority free agent....in the 4th?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/clayton-geathers?id=2552386

And he's got a 4th round projection from both McShay and CBS Sports.

The Colts have been linked to the kid the entire draft process.    So, we've had our eye on him for a long, long time.     Clearly this is the guy we wanted.

• All of Geathers issues are correctable

• Takes poor angles when coming down hill
  • Poor Tackler (Prefers to just hit way to much)

My concern about him besides the bulleted points above

• Limited plays on the ball given the number of games he played

Things I like about him

• Size and length
  • Dont shy away from contact

http://www.ucfknight...ers_587165.html

Here is his bio

Poor tackling angles,goes for big hits rather than wrapping up. Hmm, that reminds me of somebody. Oh yeah, LaRon Landry.

I understand you wanting to select Derron Smith as I really like him too, but I think he would struggle big time in our scheme. He doesn't have to size to play SS. That is huge in our scheme as the safeties interchange at different times during the drive. He would struggle playing the 8th defender in the box defending the run and blitzing. The good thing about Clayton Geathers is he played in a system at UCF where he interchanged between FS and SS at different times so he is a perfect scheme fit plus he has a lot of potential to even get better. I think that is why Grigs went with him.