Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts Draft (Why A Loss Will Help)

Ok many of us on this board have debated the subject of winning or losing this game against the Jags. Me personally, would prefer to have the longevity of this team secure with talent and if we have to lose one more game to do that, then Im all for it.

With that said, if we get that valuable 1st overall pick, I really hope we entertain trade offers and if a team wows us with an offer, we gotta take it and reload with talent on this team since we are getting a little old in certain positions.

So without further delay, here is my draft...

-Indy trades the 1st overall pick to Cleveland for their two 1st round picks(7th and 23rd) and 2nd and 2013 1st and 2nd.

1st(via trade)- QB Robert Griffin III (I really think this guy could be special after learning from Peyton for 2 years. He seems like a smart kid who is more accurate than people think. Plus his athletic ability would be exciting to see in this stadium for many years.)

1st(via trade)- SS Mark Barron (Gives us the best SS in this draft class to put alongside Bethea and make a very good safety tandem.)

2nd- WR Kendall Wright (I can see Wayne getting a better deal from another team so we need an explosive WR to bring in. Plus Griffin would love seeing his old teammate in Indy.)

2nd(via trade)- CB Jayron Hosley (Gives us a talented CB to start alongside Powers and suddenly our DB core looks very good with the additions of Barron and Hosley)

3rd- NT Dontari Poe (A lot of people think he could go a lot earlier, but I see him still as a project. He was not as dominant as he should have been this year, and I could easily see him dropping to this spot.)

4th- OG Lonnie Edwards (We need another starter at OG.)

Rest of draft we go BPA.

If we trade the #1 pick, trade it to the Browns for their 2 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, 2013 and 2014 1st round picks and 2013 2nd round pick. I heard the Browns could give up 4 1st rounders for Luck. Seriously lol.

1 via trade - Morris Claiborne CB LSU

1 via trade - David DeCastro OG Stanford

2 - Mark Barron SS

2 via trade - Dontari Poe NT Memphis

3 - Tommy Streeter WR Miami

4 - Isaiah Pead RB Cincinnati

5- Ryan Miller OG Colorado

6- Case Keenum QB Houston

7- Brandon Mosley OT Auburn

Everyone assumes Cleveland will trade the picks. You dont think they have other plans? They need a QB and WR to compliment Greg Little. RG3 and Wright? Its in their best interest to keep the picks.

If we trade the pick, we will get 2 first rounders the next 2-3 years plus later round picks. But only 1 first round this year.

If we trade the #1 pick, trade it to the Browns for their 2 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, 2013 and 2014 1st round picks and 2013 2nd round pick. I heard the Browns could give up 4 1st rounders for Luck. Seriously lol.

2 - Mark Barron SS

Now I was critical of your other draft..but this is a good one! I would do the exact same but in the fourth round I would take Nigel Bradham WLB! I love the Keenum pick! I am not sure if some of you guys have seen some of my mocks, but Keenum would be an exceptional project the Colts could get late!

I would go a step further and trade down with Miami or Washington who would want Griffin! Get their first round and second round pick.. so mine would be:

Round One (10)- Zach Brown WLB

Round One (26)- Alfonzo Dennard CB

Round Two (33)- Brandon Thompson / Dontari Poe NT

Round Two (39)- Mark Barron SS

Round Two (42)- Kelechi Osemele G

Round Three (65)- Kevin Zeitler G

Round Four- Leonard Johnson CB

Round Five- Malik Jackson DE

Round Six- Ryan Broyles WR

Round Seven- Case Keenum QB

Ok many of us on this board have debated the subject of winning or losing this game against the Jags. Me personally, would prefer to have the longevity of this team secure with talent and if we have to lose one more game to do that, then Im all for it.

With that said, if we get that valuable 1st overall pick, I really hope we entertain trade offers and if a team wows us with an offer, we gotta take it and reload with talent on this team since we are getting a little old in certain positions.

-Indy trades the 1st overall pick to Cleveland for their two 1st round picks(7th and 23rd) and 2nd and 2013 1st and 2nd.

1st(via trade)- QB Robert Griffin III (I really think this guy could be special after learning from Peyton for 2 years. He seems like a smart kid who is more accurate than people think. Plus his athletic ability would be exciting to see in this stadium for many years.)

1st(via trade)- SS Mark Barron (Gives us the best SS in this draft class to put alongside Bethea and make a very good safety tandem.)

2nd- WR Kendall Wright (I can see Wayne getting a better deal from another team so we need an explosive WR to bring in. Plus Griffin would love seeing his old teammate in Indy.)

2nd(via trade)- CB Jayron Hosley (Gives us a talented CB to start alongside Powers and suddenly our DB core looks very good with the additions of Barron and Hosley)

3rd- NT Dontari Poe (A lot of people think he could go a lot earlier, but I see him still as a project. He was not as dominant as he should have been this year, and I could easily see him dropping to this spot.)

Rest of draft we go BPA.

Your first 4 picks are literally want I have been wanting and saying. If only we could get a third 2nd round pick, I would take Kelechi Osemele and I would call that draft.

If Manning is healthy why don't we wait until 2013 and draft qb in the first? We can still sign orvlavsky to be a backup and maybe draft a developmental qb in the 6th or 7th round.

Because, what are the Colts chances of drafting a QB as highly rated as Luck once Manning is back and the Colts are picking at the bottom of the draft?

Because, what are the Colts chances of drafting a QB as highly rated as Luck once Manning is back and the Colts are picking at the bottom of the draft?

Actually quiet strong if they tade down this year.. have two frist round picks next year..thats serious ammo...not to mention one of those picks could be a top 10 pick..

Actually quiet strong if they tade down this year.. have two frist round picks next year..thats serious ammo...not to mention one of those picks could be a top 10 pick..

Exactly. But one step further: use the early 2nd or 3rd rd pick for a raw qb. In my (latest, lol) fantasy scenario--we get 2 #1s, 2 2s and 2 3s in '13 &'14. I know I'm late to the discussion & full of re-iterated thoughts, but can we please get Dez to replace reggie over RG3? I LOVE Rg's game, and learning from 18 for FIVE yrs would do him good, but seriously if Peyton is 90% & up come march we do not need a qb. And if he does go down next yr, manning forbid, then we'll just have 2 top 10 picks anyway. I'm sure its been said but this guy is completely unique in every way. There is no precedent for this. The guy knows more about every team in the NFL than 90% of the members of that team. Having said that, I want the Colts ALL-IN, as they say, and ready for some super bowl runs. We're 4 players away from competing with ANYONE. Isnt it funny how Brees, Brady & Rodgers have Colts-like teams. The analyst make me nauseous saying, "oh we havent seen anything like this, the offense has to out-score the other team because the have the 'suspect' D. I want to believe that Bill is just hyping up Luck for a mega-picks trade. The greatest stand-alone modern-era QB (multi-ring QBs have the luxury of having a "lights-out D", which is why implanted hairs hasn't wrapped up a 4th. Sorry I'm a noob & Im sick of the analysts essentially acting like a kid on a team built around Peyton is gonna do didly-squat for 5yrs. Yeah. He's gonna run that Colts O that peyton designed against the Steelers & Pats & Ravens. (I know, PEYTON barely ran his O against those Ds on a given day lol) I just hate the farve/ARodge comparison. We're talking about a guy who was an INT machine and was beat down. How many qbs have taken as few sacks peyton has? The guy is a genius who fires the ball out textbook 99% of the time against the blitz. If Trent Dilfer or __, ___, and ___ can win as game managers, what could 18 do as a 40yr old vet who knows everything the coaches on both sides know? Id take that over a gunslinger any day provided I was a draft genius who wins 10 games a yr every yr like Poli does. How come the Pats didnt fall to pieces if Brady was better than manning? I say get a defense coach, turn the O over to 18 & his choosing, and let him groom a kid from the 2014 draft. If not, then dont be surprised if he flips to Dallas. Ok I was being a tad hyperbolic, but if I wasnt hung over frm thr egg nog Id continue on...and yes a loss would be ideal. That way Luck can be traded to MIA for their entire next 3 drafts & he can learn the ropes playing Jets & Pats 2x a yr.

Actually quiet strong if they trade down this year.. have two frist round picks next year..thats serious ammo...not to mention one of those picks could be a top 10 pick..

:wall:

How many years have the Dolphins picked in the top-10 since Marino?

How many times have the Broncos picked in the top-10 since Elway?

How long did the Lions dwell in mediocrity (despite early draft picks each year)until finally getting Stafford?

If it was that easy, all teams would have a franchise QB

:wall:

How many years have the Dolphins picked in the top-10 since Marino?

How many times have the Broncos picked in the top-10 since Elway?

How long did the Lions dwell in mediocrity (despite early draft picks each year)until finally getting Stafford?

If it was that easy, all teams would have a franchise QB

So you are then saying that Luck is a proven commodity? He has taken snaps and played in the NFL? I am saying talent exists outside of Luck... typically teams won't draft a QB because they like what they have, Denver had Cutler... Detroit didn't go after a QB or Miami really.. teams pass on prospects who turn out to be great QB's so what is your point in saying that? So you another one saying Luck is on Mannings level and he can take the Colts right back to the playoffs? Did you forget about all the holes on this team?

Exactly. But one step further: use the early 2nd or 3rd rd pick for a raw qb. In my (latest, lol) fantasy scenario--we get 2 #1s, 2 2s and 2 3s in '13 &'14. I know I'm late to the discussion & full of re-iterated thoughts, but can we please get Dez to replace reggie over RG3? I LOVE Rg's game, and learning from 18 for FIVE yrs would do him good, but seriously if Peyton is 90% & up come march we do not need a qb. And if he does go down next yr, manning forbid, then we'll just have 2 top 10 picks anyway. I'm sure its been said but this guy is completely unique in every way. There is no precedent for this. The guy knows more about every team in the NFL than 90% of the members of that team. Having said that, I want the Colts ALL-IN, as they say, and ready for some super bowl runs. We're 4 players away from competing with ANYONE. Isnt it funny how Brees, Brady & Rodgers have Colts-like teams. The analyst make me nauseous saying, "oh we havent seen anything like this, the offense has to out-score the other team because the have the 'suspect' D. I want to believe that Bill is just hyping up Luck for a mega-picks trade. The greatest stand-alone modern-era QB (multi-ring QBs have the luxury of having a "lights-out D", which is why implanted hairs hasn't wrapped up a 4th. Sorry I'm a noob & Im sick of the analysts essentially acting like a kid on a team built around Peyton is gonna do didly-squat for 5yrs. Yeah. He's gonna run that Colts O that peyton designed against the Steelers & Pats & Ravens. (I know, PEYTON barely ran his O against those Ds on a given day lol) I just hate the farve/ARodge comparison. We're talking about a guy who was an INT machine and was beat down. How many qbs have taken as few sacks peyton has? The guy is a genius who fires the ball out textbook 99% of the time against the blitz. If Trent Dilfer or __, ___, and ___ can win as game managers, what could 18 do as a 40yr old vet who knows everything the coaches on both sides know? Id take that over a gunslinger any day provided I was a draft genius who wins 10 games a yr every yr like Poli does. How come the Pats didnt fall to pieces if Brady was better than manning? I say get a defense coach, turn the O over to 18 & his choosing, and let him groom a kid from the 2014 draft. If not, then dont be surprised if he flips to Dallas. Ok I was being a tad hyperbolic, but if I wasnt hung over frm thr egg nog Id continue on...and yes a loss would be ideal. That way Luck can be traded to MIA for their entire next 3 drafts & he can learn the ropes playing Jets & Pats 2x a yr.

I like the way you think..Welcome!

2 - Mark Barron SS

If we could get 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks, my draft would go:

1. Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

1. Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson

2. Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa State or Cordy Glenn, OG/OT Georgia

2. Mark Barron, SS Alabama

3. Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M

4. Sean Spence, OLB Miami

6. Chris Rainer, RB/WR Florida

I'm not sure about the later round prospects, and I didn't add in any compensational picks either.

I'm not sure about the later round prospects, and I didn't add in any compensational picks either.

What is Sean Spence game like? I think the Will LB is essential to make the Tampa 2 defense work, look at Brooks, oversized, physical, defensive back type. I would prefer Brown, David, or Bradham...and then Spence, if Bradham was gone in the fourth, and the Colts didn't get a Will LB.

Now I was critical of your other draft..but this is a good one! I would do the exact same but in the fourth round I would take Nigel Bradham WLB! I love the Keenum pick! I am not sure if some of you guys have seen some of my mocks, but Keenum would be an exceptional project the Colts could get late!

the longshot pick of the Houston QB is interestiing,...

It ackowleges the fact that we're draft a QB to start in 2014 or 2015 not now...

We're drafting a project

the longshot pick of the Houston QB is interestiing,...

It ackowleges the fact that we're draft a QB to start in 2014 or 2015 not now...

We're drafting a project

Yes! And he has significant upside coming from a high octane offense, and the chip on his shoulder from being a late draft pick will be fuel to the fire!

What is Sean Spence game like? I think the Will LB is essential to make the Tampa 2 defense work, look at Brooks, oversized, physical, defensive back type. I would prefer Brown, David, or Bradham...and then Spence, if Bradham was gone in the fourth, and the Colts didn't get a Will LB.

From what I have seen and read of Sean Spence, he is an athletic and fast WLB, which is ideal. He's 6'0" 220 lbs. which is kind of small, but with improved DT play, that shouldn't matter as much. He doesn't have to start though, just provide quality depth and good special teams play.

And don't get to caught up in the type of defense we run. Tampa 2 or 4-3 under whatever, I just go with a versatile 4-3 that has lots of options and formations.

From what I have seen and read of Sean Spence, he is an athletic and fast WLB, which is ideal. He's 6'0" 220 lbs. which is kind of small, but with improved DT play, that shouldn't matter as much. He doesn't have to start though, just provide quality depth and special teams play.

And don't get to caught up in the type of defense we run. Tampa 2 or 4-3 under whatever, I just go with a versatile 4-3 that has lots of options and formations.

2 - Mark Barron SS

I love these picks, and I think if Case Keenum is available then he is a great developmental prospect. Another possible QB prospect at this level is

should Keenum not be available. Wilson will slip due to his height but he has everything else in spades: pocket poise, accuracy, arm strength, and athleticism. I would be happy with both and this draft as a whole.

Okay I think I can finish it. #6 should be Chris Rainey.

5. Michael Egnew, TE Missouri

7. Yeah, I don't know...

Rest of draft we go BPA.

If we dont go for Luck, we should definitely NOT go for RG3. He is too risky for picking so high, so some desperate team (that ignores nfl history) will select him in the 1st round, (he is 2nd round value). If RG3 is there in the 3rd round then we can risk it on him.. (be like the equivelant of a late 2nd round pick), but like i said, he will not be there, because some foolish team is going to take him in the 1st round and he will be a bust.