Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In Defense Of Our First Round Pick

Yes, just like you I was shocked we went with a WR. But I'm going to share with you the line of logic that brought me from "what are they doing" to some optimism about the pick:

• They overlooked several good players at positions of need. Yes, this is what made the pick so confusing in the first place with Eric Kendricks, Malcolm Brown, Jordan Phillips, Grady Jarrett, Henry Anderson, Landon Collins, Damarious Randall, T.J. Clemmings, and Jake Fisher (who I was pulling for personally) among others to take Dorsett. The front office knows what our needs are. They're not stupid. To me, this pick says that they think they got an absolute game changer at WR that they just couldn't pass up.
  • We had the most drops in the NFL by far last year. That shouldn't be a problem this year adding sure handed guys like Andre Johnson and now Dorsett. 
  • Our #1 receiver is in a contract year and our #2 receiver will be 34 this season. I'd say even if we were already set at this position this year, this pick gives us more flexibility moving forward.
  • There are still 6 more rounds left. Just as there were a lot of good players who fell out of round 1, we're not doomed when it comes to adding more players. If our scouting team knows what they're doing we will be okay.

Yes, just like you I was shocked we went with a WR. But I'm going to share with you the line of logic that brought me from "what are they doing" to some optimism about the pick:

• They overlooked several good players at positions of need. Yes, this is what made the pick so confusing in the first place with Eric Kendricks, Malcolm Brown, Jordan Phillips, Grady Jarrett, Henry Anderson, Landon Collins, Damarious Randall, T.J. Clemmings, and Jake Fisher (who I was pulling for personally) among others to take Dorsett. The front office knows what our needs are. They're not stupid. To me, this pick says that they think they got an absolute game changer at WR that they just couldn't pass up.
  • We had the most drops in the NFL by far last year. That shouldn't be a problem this year adding sure handed guys like Andre Johnson and now Dorsett. 
  • Our #1 receiver is in a contract year and our #2 receiver will be 34 this season. I'd say even if we were already set at this position this year, this pick gives us more flexibility moving forward.
  • There are still 6 more rounds left. Just as there were a lot of good players who fell out of round 1, we're not doomed when it comes to adding more players. If our scouting team knows what they're doing we will be okay.

All correct!