Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Phillip Dorsett 29 [Mega Merge]

Here's the thing, though: 31 other teams passed on Collins who I've seen go as high as top 15 in mock drafts.

Must have been a comfortable rock you've been under, lol.

[EDIT]

And we're probably talking Landon, not La'El. Lol. Oops.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Early on, to me, the only limit is whether the player makes the team. That rules out QB, K, P because there aren't enough roster spots. Other than that, I think you should take talent and fill holes later, particularly at spots where there will still be talent (DL, OL, S).

I can't imagine saying "ya know, we REALLY think player X is better, but we'll pass on the better player because he plays the wrong position."

Funny how everyone wants to draft the best player available as long as that player fills a need. Go figure....

I'm a person that tends to think you can't judge it til you see it on the field. That having been said this guy needs to produce NOW, right away. Like at least 800 yards his rookie year.

But yeah I'm starting to hop on the train to fire our front office staff and our coaching staff. They act like they are more interested in helping Luck set records then winning championships.

The Packers one of the best drafting teams in the game didn't have a problem going defense at their spot. So why didn't we? Is this guy really that much better of a player then those guys?

I feel sorry for the player but the fans arn't going to like him just because they know there is no chance he's going to help stop a Pats RB from ripping off 200 yards rushing.

I feel the same as you I have no problem at all with Dorsett it's just we have so many weapons already it was just a luxury pick we couldn't really afford to take

I feel like Dorsett will be really good for us in the long run, and will probably be a replacement for AJ in a few years. He apparently already had to respond about being called a horrible pick. Poor guy hasn't even gotten a chance to play yet. Hopefully he ends up being really good, which I think he will be.

I do wish we took a safety, Landon Collins was available. No way he's there in the second.

We never learn. This was just a silly pick. I don't care how good the kid turns out to be, it was a luxury pick. Grigson is tricking out the whip with shiny rims and gadgets in the interior when the car still doesn't even have a motor.

He doesn't really have a good feel for the pulse of the team and when BPA is appropriate. All GM's say they go BPA but few of them ever truly stick it. If Grigson truly felt this guy is that much better than everyone else still on the board at that time, we'd better see some immediate results. You don't make a luxury pick in the 1st round on a player at a position you're already stacked at unless that player has the potential to leap past all of them on the depth chart...We'll see

if grigson felt a second/third round pick was the BPA, id hate to see the rest of the draft. he has only had one good draft and that was his first year. 

I feel the same as you I have no problem at all with Dorsett it's just we have so many weapons already it was just a luxury pick we couldn't really afford to take

I agree. not with the holes on defense. unless Grigson has a few tricks up his sleeve, i can see by the end of the NFL draft that those holes on defense will still exist. 

I'll be honest:  When we first picked him, I was furious. Not so much because I don't like him.  Heck, I think he's the 3rd best receiver in this class (Obviously behind Cooper and White.)  I feel like we're more upset about who we passed on rather than who we picked.  Here's the thing, though:  31 other teams passed on Landon Collins who I've seen go as high as top 15 in mock drafts.  Goldman, I think, wouldn't have been great value at 29.  I also don't see how we could have taken Kendricks with our 1st rounder.  The only real issue I have with it is Brown.  I feel like he would have been a better option.  Or we could have traded down for one of the defensive players we all wanted.

Here's the thing, though.  All but ONE of the players we wanted (Brown) are still available.  I wouldn't be surprised at all for us to trade up and try to snag one of them.  Let's at least see how the rest of the draft pans out before we start calling for people to lose their jobs, alright?  

yeah i was the same way when i saw who we drafted. then i remembered grigson saying in an interview that he plans on making trades in the draft. hoping it starts tonight though. 

Tell me, how is Luck going to have time to throw to Dorsett with no o-line and Malcolm Brown burying him for a sack?

Bad pick for the Colts. Not a need at all.

Very uninformed post. Colts o-line was very good when healthy and after having gelled. Remember, outside of RT our o-line is very young. The continuity at the o-line happened at the end of the season after which they played quite well. So, the notion that our o-line couldnt protect Luck is nonsense. Now we've added a veteran in Herremans who'll upgrade the LG spot and provide insurance in case of injury, and we get GC back healthy. I see no reason why Luck wont torch defenses with Dorsett getting in on the action - and that includes a Patriot defense, specifically in the secondary who on papir looks worse than last year.

I agree. not with the holes on defense. unless Grigson has a few tricks up his sleeve, i can see by the end of the NFL draft that those holes on defense will still exist.

exactly people act like we are putting Dorsett down as a player when it's really nothing like that at all he just wasn't needed

He said he wasn't drafting players with "character issues" in the early rounds. Guess Collins is a bad guy to grigson despite him just drooling over Collins in his predraft interview the other day

:scorebad:

Just to return serve, there was likely a LOT of good defensive players on the board with good character... This just in, Pats just scored another TD on the ground. That game (or butt whoop-in) is still pretty fresh in my mind

Just saying... This draft choice was a luxury pick that will provide what a 3rd string WR, at best

Or you could look at it as Grigs did and say he is a highly rated player with all the tools to excel with elite speed and they couldn't really afford to pass on him.

I was really * last night but this pick is really growing on me today.

Now let's get some help on the other side of the ball from here on out!

Yes, but it would actually be the right move. Tevon Coleman at 61. Then one of the coverage safeties at 93. Then give up one 6th to trade up in round 4 to secure a #4 CB, get your one dimensional fat DT that everybody wants in round 5. Target ILB flyers with round 6 and 7s to back up Irving, Freeman, and DQ.

UDFA for the #5 CB.

Done.

Coleman will be long gone by then but I would be thrilled to get him. We will have to jump ahead of teams like Arizona, Dallas, perhaps Baltimore and Detroit....but thats only if he gets past Jets, Falcons, and Miami earlier in the rd.

I don't even get how this pick makes sense. Unless they're pretty much expecting to lose TY next year.

I say the same thing, but that doesn't even make sense!  The Colts are literally 1-3 good defensive players away from walking backwards into the Super Bowl.  You play to win NOW!  It's like knowing Hasselbeck will probably be gone in two years and Andrew Luck "could" get injured so we should probably get an insurance policy, and use the 2nd pick as a QB.  It just sounds dumb!

I would hate to lose TY, but even if we did, we still have AJ for another year, Moncrief will be in his 3rd season, Carter could be our 3rd WR AND we have another FA/Draft to choose from...

I'm guessing the staff doesn't think much of Carter, and didn't we just sign yet another WR, that was drafted 80 something overall?

There just absolutely no logic that came from that pick!

The answer is none of them did. Eddie Goldman and Malcom Brown would both have made everyone here giddy, but neither of them are "special" prospects, nor do I think either of them were BPA. Landon Collins would have checked off the biggest need on our roster, but he wasn't BPA and half the board would have melted down. Clemmings isn't really a top 40 player, despite playing a position of need, nor is he a great fit for our blocking scheme. I could go on.

At least Dorsett has elite potential. And I don't like the pick. I like the player, but I think we should have done something different.

Perfect world, we trade down. Problem is it's likely that the phone wasn't ringing, at least not with anything of reasonable value. Almost no one made any trades in the first round. So we could have moved back to, say #34 with the Bucs -- when Brown would have been gone, obviously -- and probably not have gotten fair value for #29. Goldman could go #33 (who knows?). I don't think the value was on the board, and while it's an assumption, I doubt there were any reasonable offers for our pick. So Grigson picked BPA.

There's only two players I really would have wanted at #29, and neither of them are good values (IMO). Kendricks and Phillips, both of whom are probably going to go in the 40-50 range. We can still get either of them, technically. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

You said that you didn't like the pick. But before that said the DTs weren't the right pick, and after that said a trade may not have been likely, and that while Kendricks and Phillipps you would have liked, they weren't good value.

It sounds like you actually do like the pick, considering that no pick is ever perfect and a GM has to make the best decision considering the circumstances at the time.

Maybe I could use some clarification.

having a high powered offense is great in Sept. Oct. and Nov.  But come December and January, that high powered offense can be shut down by bad weather as we have seen in the past with Marvin and Reggie.  So if NE or Denver gets home field through out the playoffs we can be in trouble again.  This is why this pick scares me.

You said that you didn't like the pick. But before that said the DTs weren't the right pick, and after that said a trade may not have been likely, and that while Kendricks and Phillipps you would have liked, they weren't good value.

It sounds like you actually do like the pick, considering that no pick is ever perfect and a GM has to make the best decision considering the circumstances at the time.

Ever heard of the phrase wish in one hand and crap in the other?  Sometimes your best option isn't the preferred one, because no preferred option exists.  Take BPA in a position where no one wnats to trade with you and you don't necessarily need the position, or draft need and take a hit on value.  You have to do something, unless you just want to wait long enough until your time runs up and draft a spot later in the draft without getting anything in return.  

With all the complaining going on, it's clear that people wished the Colts did something different.  What I don't really get is that it seems like the great majority of posters on here never stopped to think, "Man, maybe the Colts wished they could have done something differently, too."  But I digress...

I'm making a lot of assumptions. I'm assuming that there were no reasonable offers for #29 (but there's a report that the Texans wanted to get back in the first for Dorsett, even though it's unlikely that we'd have traded with a divisional opponent). I'm assuming that Kendricks and Phillips and Collins aren't all taken in the top 8 in the second round. And I'm assuming that my evaluation of guys like Goldman and Brown are in alignment with the staff's evaluation of them.

If those assumptions hold true, then I get the pick. It's logical, it makes sense, and it's in keeping with a BPA mentality. And it doesn't hurt that I think Dorsett is gonna be gooooooood.

But it's not what I wanted. I wanted us to dupe someone into giving us a pick between 37-45 and another between 100-110, and then we could stand their with our arms out ready to catch a highly rated defensive guy that was falling down the board. Value + a good player at a position of primary need. In other words, a rare Triple Crown draft pick at the end of the first round. A lot of people see that as Brown or Goldman; I could have talked myself into either of them, but I don't think they really check off that "special potential" box.

It was hard for me to get excited about anyone that was projected to be there at #29, especially based on our needs.

Ever heard of the phrase wish in one hand and crap in the other?  Sometimes your best option isn't the preferred one, because no preferred option exists.  Take BPA in a position where no one wnats to trade with you and you don't necessarily need the position, or draft need and take a hit on value.  You have to do something, unless you just want to wait long enough until your time runs up and draft a spot later in the draft without getting anything in return.  

With all the complaining going on, it's clear that people wished the Colts did something different.  What I don't really get is that it seems like the great majority of posters on here never stopped to think, "Man, maybe the Colts wished they could have done something differently, too."  But I digress...

You mean like he held his nose when he made the pick? (the player that is not the nose) BTW, I think the pick was in like in 2 seconds. I don't think they were waiting for offers.

You mean like he held his nose when he made the pick? (the player that is not the nose) BTW, I think the pick was in like in 2 seconds. I don't think they were waiting for offers.

Well, they had 28 picks before theirs to see if they could get any trades.  And it was longer than 2 seconds.  I seem to recall that there was at least a commercial break between when the Bengals made their selection and when the Colts made theirs.  I was several whiskies into the night, so it could have been longer or shorter, lol.

EDIT: Meant Lions, lol.  Getting my cats mixed up.  Maybe I did have too much whiskey lol.

I'm making a lot of assumptions. I'm assuming that there were no reasonable offers for #29 (but there's a report that the Texans wanted to get back in the first for Dorsett, even though it's unlikely that we'd have traded with a divisional opponent). I'm assuming that Kendricks and Phillips and Collins aren't all taken in the top 8 in the second round. And I'm assuming that my evaluation of guys like Goldman and Brown are in alignment with the staff's evaluation of them.

If those assumptions hold true, then I get the pick. It's logical, it makes sense, and it's in keeping with a BPA mentality. And it doesn't hurt that I think Dorsett is gonna be gooooooood.

But it's not what I wanted. I wanted us to dupe someone into giving us a pick between 37-45 and another between 100-110, and then we could stand their with our arms out ready to catch a highly rated defensive guy that was falling down the board. Value + a good player at a position of primary need. In other words, a rare Triple Crown draft pick at the end of the first round. A lot of people see that as Brown or Goldman; I could have talked myself into either of them, but I don't think they really check off that "special potential" box.

It was hard for me to get excited about anyone that was projected to be there at #29, especially based on our needs.

I understand.

I actually mocked us taking Dorsett ( I should have posted it cuz I would've looked smart <mainly lucky>) I too, basically wanted to trade down since I did not feel that 29 was a good spot to be in this draft. Then I heard about Dorsett rising, heard about his special speed and hands, and thought we could trade with someone wanting to get that guy before round 2. (And it seems that actually happened if your Houston rumor..trading with someone else likely...is true).

Then I got to thinking about our O, wanting Lockett in the second, and the nonspeciality of the defensive players, and just mocked Dorsett to us.

BTW, the same philosophy applies to round 2. My mock has Coleman to us in round 2 after Dorsett in round 1 because Coleman offers special speed, and has complete skills, who falls simply because he plays RB. No other player really stands out.

We'll see.

I wasn't in front of the TV, but I thought they took their entire time on the clock...

Early on, to me, the only limit is whether the player makes the team. That rules out QB, K, P because there aren't enough roster spots. Other than that, I think you should take talent and fill holes later, particularly at spots where there will still be talent (DL, OL, S).

I can't imagine saying "ya know, we REALLY think player X is better, but we'll pass on the better player because he plays the wrong position."

Yeah, I understand.  I guess it's just different ways of approaching the draft

I wasn't in front of the TV, but I thought they took their entire time on the clock...

Yeah I don't know. But ESPN/Goodell was behind all night. I think the little box saying "pick is in" flipped pretty quickly, then Berman and Co talked about the last pick and TV also went to commercial. But I could be remembering that wrong.

I like the Dorsett pick. He's pretty much TY Hilton 2.0. 

I have no problem with the Colts going BPA. They clearly meant it and weren't kidding. 

Apologies, no idea how that happened and I don't know how to delete them or if I can...  :thmdown:

Anyway what I was trying to say is hate on the run defense all you want, but versus New England our receivers were JUST AS BAD. Moncrief and Carter are far from sure things and so that means we have Johnson and Hilton at the receiver spot who we can count on. Getting Dorsett wasn't a bad pick in my opinion. 

If anybody in our secondary gets hurt we are in trouble.  Safety has been a concern for this team for years.  You have the highest rated S in Collins sitting there and you select a WR which is something that has already been addressed in FA.  We could've taken the NT from Texas that NE took to try and replace Wilfork, to try and help our run defense that has been hurting us for years now, but no we took another WR.  

When you look at the drubbing that NE gave us in the AFCCG, I would say YES we have sooo many holes that need addressed before we can knock them off to reach a SB.

Getting drubbed that badly by New England has just as much to do with scheme as it does talent. New England wasn't 38 points or whatever it was better talent wise than we were, the key to beating them isn't just upgrade the personnel we have on defense... 

Can't get on twitter at work, but Josh Wilson tweeted the Sports 610 in Houston reported that the Texans tried to trade back into the first round to select Phillip Dorsett.

We never learn. This was just a silly pick. I don't care how good the kid turns out to be, it was a luxury pick. Grigson is tricking out the whip with shiny rims and gadgets in the interior when the car still doesn't even have a motor.

He doesn't really have a good feel for the pulse of the team and when BPA is appropriate. All GM's say they go BPA but few of them ever truly stick it. If Grigson truly felt this guy is that much better than everyone else still on the board at that time, we'd better see some immediate results. You don't make a luxury pick in the 1st round on a player at a position you're already stacked at unless that player has the potential to leap past all of them on the depth chart...We'll see

According to your logic though, Polian should have passed on Reggie Wayne when the Colts already had Marvin Harrison.  How did giving Manning another weapon turn out?

Our "whip" of an offense was completely shut down by NE.  Hilton was doubled.  As a consequence, he was pretty much eliminated from the game plan.  After Hilton, no one else could get open, including Moncrief.

Prior to the pick, our WR depth was solid but Dorsett could be a game changer because of his speed and ball skills. 

Hilton is great.  We know that.  Moncrief had a pretty decent rookie campaign.  The future looks bright for him but he was shut down in the AFC title game.  Andre Johnson is only going to be around for a few years, at best.

Carter?  May not make the final roster. 

Our best player is our QB.  Why not surround him with as many weapons as possible?

Selecting a DT there instead was not going to turn around our entire team.  The Colts have an entire draft to address concerns.  As it stands now, we've added a very good CB and a solid 3-4 DE.

If the WR pick was spent on a 3rd round talent, I would've been upset.  But we got a guy that 1) had a very productive college career; 2) had 0 character issues; 3) has 4.27 speed (he is now one of the fastest players in the NFL and the fastest on our team).