Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this....after reading the ESPN article on how Belichick takes advantage of other GMs reaching in the draft every year, did we just see it again? We go for a WR that may or may not be needed...and he takes a player that will probably be their NT for the next 10 years, after we pass on him. He does this every year.

BB gets it, they took the guy I wanted in Brown.

They beat us with out revis before

That's because Reggie couldn't run anymore, before he hurt his knee. Dwayne Allen can't run period. And Fleener doesn't know where to run. And Brazil could run, but was too stoned to make the trip.

Seriously, a rookie DL in the first round is not going to change things over drafting a rookie DL in the second.

If we got Henry Anderson in the 2nd and a coverage safety in the 3rd, will you feel better?

Well....

Since I think Grigson more often then not has drafted for need instead of BPA,  I certainly think he drafted BPA with this pick.

I didn't see this coming at all....

He's a very good player....   but, as far as I know,  there's only one football to go around.....   and now we have a ton of fast, talented guys who all want that one football.    And one more coming whenever we draft a RB.

Okie-dokie...

Sure hope Grigs has something in mind for the defense.     That's the other players on the field when our offense is on the bench....    Just sayin....

No expectations. But there's no guarantee that a rookie DL is going to stop the run either. There will be fat guys available for the next 5 rounds. The 4.3 guys are gone by pick 32.

We already have TY, is he slow? Wr was a terrible choice in the first. Also, why did we sign Andre and Carter if we were gonna draft a wide out first? We can only play so many wrs...

Everyone is laughing at us again

Especially good ole Bill. Everything was perfectly set up for us... Brown, Kendricks, Collins all available and we take a player that won't see the field for two years

There is no other player like this kid in the draft. The speed is unmatched and he is a huge play maker. This opens up the middle of the field for AJ and our TEs. It's insurance against injuries and TY leaving us if he insists on some crazy mega deal. The value wasn't there for OL or lB imo...now we could have moved down but if we don't have a partner we don't have a partner...so we took the special player. We have a lot of weapons...perhaps more than even PEyton had....certainly deeper...just hope we get some guys to help us in the trenches.

So you think the so called experts out there know more than Girgs, Pagano and all the Colts Scouts??? Hahaha really??? Half the time the know less than the average fan!!! And how can you say there is No way Dorsett is the BPA to the Colts??? Did you see the board? Do you know how they grade and evaluate their talent??? If not than you quite frankly know nothing as it refers to who was the BPA on the Colts board. Are Grigs and staff always right? Heck no. But who is? It's about playing your chances, testing your scouting and evaluation and hoping the guy turns out.

Andre might be here 2 years and Duron is no guarantee. Plus there is the possibility we could loose Hilton. Our WR core has alot of questions still going into the future.

Let me put it another way. Has Grigson ever been right?

Do you seriously think Dorsett is a "can't miss talent"? At the bottom of the first round, as the sixth reciever picked this year? So what if Andre only lasts a couple of years. There are good, proven players available in FA each year, and there are still a good draft class next year.

If Dorsett is really "that good", why did he slide to 29? Why is Grigson the only one "who got it" with regards to Dorsett?

Perhaps he really is the Yoda of talent evaluations. The force wasn't there for a looooong time, but he found it in time to pick up Dorsett ahead of "everyone else". I'm betting The Hoodie is kicking himself right now because he got Brown and not Dorsett.

You're one of those guys on this board, who will defend any decision Grigson makes, no matter what.

This is EXACTLY how this board reacted when we drafted Hilton. EXACTLY. 

Lol at the whining......

I'm not in the freak out crowd but certainly would have preferred someone over 180 lbs.

How many blazing fast wr's did NE have when they won all their championships? Oh yeah...that's right. Miss was the only true top tier wr they had. They made it to 6 Super Bowls by building their teams from the trenches out. There is NO monster being built here.

If we go 3 wide you definitely can't roll safety help to TY...gotta stay in the middle of the field...and if Moncrif developes 4 wide will be scary. Gotta look at the positives...sure I want some help in the trenches on both sides but I think this kid has special talent and we can make the best of it.

Also, why did we sign Andre and Carter if we were gonna draft a wide out first? We can only play so many wrs...

AJ and Moncrief will rotate on the outside. AJ is too old to play every down, and Moncrief too unpolished. Dorsett can play the slot, possibly Ty too. Carter is depth..that's it.

When TY Moncrief and Dorsett are on the field, teams won't have enough DBs to cover one on one. They will fear any one of them getting behind them..will give cushion, and open up the middle for the TEs or RBs.

A reliable receiver with speed was more of a need than anybody noticed this offseason, IMO.

Great pick by the Colts. The guy has super speed, super hands and body control.

It's true we got ran over by the Patriots but at the same time I don't remember many instances in which our receivers managed to get open in that last playoff game.

The problem of receivers getting open against the patriots is like fourth on the list. It's literally a pimple on an elephant's you know what.

Let me put it another way. Has Grigson ever been right?

Do you seriously think Dorsett is a "can't miss talent"? At the bottom of the first round, as the sixth reciever picked this year? So what if Andre only lasts a couple of years. There are good, proven players available in FA each year, and there are still a good draft class next year.

If Dorsett is really "that good", why did he slide to 29? Why is Grigson the only one "who got it" with regards to Dorsett?

Perhaps he really is the Yoda of talent evaluations. The force wasn't there for a looooong time, but he found it in time to pick up Dorsett ahead of "everyone else". I'm betting The Hoodie is kicking himself right now because he got Brown and not Dorsett.

You're one of those guys on this board, who will defend any decision Grigson makes, no matter what.

No I'm not. Im just saying Grigs did what he said he wass gonna, stick to the board... and there is no way you can say he didn't. You can wine and fuss all you want. Doesn't change a thing. And just because a bunch of other teams didn't take Dorsett at thier pick has no effect whether he was the BPA available to the Colts or not. Still plenty of good Defensive players available. Its not the end of the world.

I like the player just don't like the pick. This team is trying to win the SB. The offense was great last year without Dorsett. The defense was awful. Davis, Adams, and Redding were the only consistent players. Redding is gone and Adams is 33. We needed more defensive playmakers and both Gregory and Brown were on the board. 

I've been saying the Colts miss on draft night more than not on this board  for years. Donald Brown, Anthony Gonzalez, Jerry Hughes, the list goes on and on.

jery Hughes was a good pick. Just took a different team to realize his talent and exploit it. He would be the perfect guy for us if we still had him. Polish made a brilliant pick...he knew freeney was getting nicked up and him and mathis wouldn't be here forever or didn't have another contract in them with Peyton here. We have had some misses but so have every team.

How many blazing fast wr's did NE have when they won all their championships? Oh yeah...that's right. Miss was the only true top tier wr they had. They made it to 6 Super Bowls by building their teams from the trenches out. There is NO monster being built here.

NE won because they had a stacked salary cap D and a young Brady playing like a 10mm dollar QB but getting paid nothing. Basically, when a pro bowl QB is playing for free, you can pay a defense a lot of money.

IOW, if you don't have speedy receivers, you can win if you draft a pro bowl QB in the 6th round.

Their other championship was the result of bush league concealment of eligible receivers and having a TE nobody can seem to cover.

Gavin....

Those guys are late rounds guys.

You expect them to make a difference?     Certainly not their first year....   and likely not ever....

Come on now...    get serious.

Draft position don't dictate how good you will be in the NFL

For those crying over not taking Brown, the DT from Texas...

Earlier this week Bill Polian said Brown is a 1-gap DT,  and not a fit for a 2-gap scheme.

So,  I don't know that Brown would've been a good fit for the Colts.

But, I was banging the table for Goldman,  who Polian confirmed was a perfect fit for a 2-gap scheme.

I can live with more weapons and help for Luck....   but I would've preferred to trade down a bit, get another pick and then take more help...

But,  Dorsett must've been much, much higher on Grigson's board than I would've expected....

For what it's worth.....   these are Dorsett's ranking..

Kiper 18    Called him one of his favorite WR's in this draft.  

McShay  27

Mayock   34

CBS Sports  32

Jeremiah     47

Gil Brandt   40

We already have TY, is he slow? Wr was a terrible choice in the first. Also, why did we sign Andre and Carter if we were gonna draft a wide out first? We can only play so many wrs...

we signed carter before we even knew AJ would be available and Carter is a marginal talent...may not even make the team. Only on this board was he being considered possibly playing right away. He is a project and likely to see the practice squad. You don't sign a guy out of the CFL and pencil him right into the lineup....can it happen sure but you don't build your team and make decisions based off a cfl FA being your answer.

Draft position don't dictate how good you will be in the NFL

It's doesn't dictate,  but it's somewhat predictive...

There are more success stories in higher rounds than later rounds, and you know it....

The chances of hitting on later rounds picks are much smaller,  and when you do hit on them,  they typically don't produce as much as higher round picks.     It's that way in all sports.  

It's not a hard and fast rule,  but generally speaking,  that's how it works....

Earlier this week Bill Polian said Brown is a 1-gap DT, and not a fit for a 2-gap scheme.

So, I don't know that Brown would've been a good fit for the Colts.

But, I was banging the table for Goldman, who Polian confirmed was a perfect fit for a 2-gap scheme.

I can live with more weapons and help for Luck.... but I would've preferred to trade down a bit, get another pick and then take more help...

But, Dorsett must've been much, much higher on Grigson's board than I would've expected....

For what it's worth..... these are Dorsett's ranking..

Kiper 18 Called him one of his favorite WR's in this draft.

McShay 27

Mayock 34

CBS Sports 32

Jeremiah 47

Gil Brandt 40

Yeah from what I watched of Brown when it came to taking on double teams, he got ate up alot. He's a good penatrator and effective getting prssure and stopping the run that way. But when it comes to controlling double teams and taking space...not the best. At least from what I saw.

And Goldman was my hope too....Im hoping he slides in round 2.

In all seriousness if it s Dorsett that's going to give defenses hell trying to contain Hilton and Dorsett, Not my first choice but I really like the pick if true

It's true and gutsy Grig's don't care he stuck to his board. Dorsett ran a 4.27 and 4.29 at his pro day. We wanted playmakers we got one.

will guarantee he goes in the top 40 this year. In fact, I will be surprised if he doesn't go in the first. Elite speed and separation player." - NFC executive

I don't mind the pick we didn't reach for a S. I was hoping for Malcom Brown but there's a reason he fell like he did.

We aren't as stacked at WR as everyone acts like we are. No one could get seperation vs NE.

TY is a franchise guy. After that AJ is an aging possession WR at this point. Moncrief appears to be up and coming. That's it Carter has never played in the league Brown is a back up. Whalen isn't a NFL WR.

You say you want your first rounder to be a guy that will make an impact this year. Dorsett will. We will still grab a S and a CB some help on both lines. There aren't a lot of guys that run 4.29.

For all the blame the D takes for the AFCCG We scored 7 points. Gavin you are right TY and Dorsett will give teams nightmares.

Earlier this week Bill Polian said Brown is a 1-gap DT,  and not a fit for a 2-gap scheme.

So,  I don't know that Brown would've been a good fit for the Colts.

But, I was banging the table for Goldman,  who Polian confirmed was a perfect fit for a 2-gap scheme.

I can live with more weapons and help for Luck....   but I would've preferred to trade down a bit, get another pick and then take more help...

But,  Dorsett must've been much, much higher on Grigson's board than I would've expected....

For what it's worth.....   these are Dorsett's ranking..

Kiper 18    Called him one of his favorite WR's in this draft.  

McShay  27

Mayock   34

CBS Sports  32

Jeremiah     47

Gil Brandt   40

as we have seen over and over...these draft gurus are about as accurate as you or me....I take their reviews worth a grain of salt.....I think the guys that we would have valued on OL and DL were off the board and those on it were 2nd Ed value....so we took the guy with the first rd talent and the best chance to turn into a special talent.