Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Win Or Lose

Case

Win or Lose  

95 members have voted

1. 1. You want colts to lose to jags or go 3-13

• Beat jags go 3-13
    • Lose to jags/ get the first pick

How would getting Andrew Luck put us in the best position to win next season? I mean, he won't play, so that's $6 million flushing down the toilet, not helping the team. $24 million by the time he takes a snap (potentially).

Turn in your fan card.

The #1 pick doesn't have to be about Luck. You've made it obvious that you're against drafting Luck, but losing to the Jags and trading the #1 pick for a plethora of picks is a MUCH better option than getting the 3rd overall pick and drafting Claiborne. Winning isn't in the best interest of the future of the team. We're not going 0-16, I'm fine with losing next week.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't voted in this poll because I am torn. I can see both sides.

As a Colt's fan, I can't hope for a loss. But, I also realize that a win may take away that #1 pick (whether that means Luck, another player, or trading that pick).

I just paid a visit to a Jaguar's message board where the same discussion is taking place. Some Jaguar's fans are hoping that they lose (even advocating tanking) to hopefully prevent the Colts from getting that #1 pick. Other Jaguar's fans are saying that there is no way they could ever hope for their team to lose.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what any of the fans want. Neither team is going to view the message boards and say, "Hey, the fans want us to win/lose. So, that is what we will do." IMO, both teams should play to the best of their ability. Whatever the outcome is, it is.

I was originally torn, but bottom line I just want our colts to play & whatever happens happens. I don't think the world will end if we don't get luck or the 1st pick, though I understand the importance. GO COLTS ! :lombardi: :manning: :coltshelmet:

I agree

The first pick is supposed to go to the worst team.........and if that's not us........that's the way it is

1st pick would obviously make things easier.

If we don't get it, we don't get it

It is so ironic to me that all these division games were put at the end of the season in response to the colts resting the starters in 2009.......to give the Colts a reason to play competitive football

And now, here we are........discussing the merits of 'playing less than our best'........to increase our odds of the other great prize............1st draft pick

And now, here we are........discussing the merits of 'playing less than our best'........to increase our odds of the other great prize............1st draft pick

For the record, I'm not suggesting they tank it. I fully expect the team to give it their all and wouldn't dream of suggesting they do otherwise.

I just hoping they aren't successful because I think it's in their best interests not to.

This "turn in your fan card" garbage needs to stop right now. The people still posting on this board are probably the best fans the colts organization has. The fair weather fans have all purchased their rodgers jerseys and are waiting for the colts to be a 13-3 team again before they start rooting for the colts again.

Jaric has hit the nail on the head here -- while I'm not rooting for the Colts to tank (that would be an embarrassment to the entire franchise and wouldn't be worth any pick), as fans I think we have the right to root for the Colts to lose here. There is no question that the #1 pick has more tangible value than the #3 pick. Does 3-13 have more tangible value than 2-14? Probably not. heck, there's talk on the Jaguars message boards about THEM tanking to keep Luck out of the AFC South. This just goes to show that out biggest rivals know what's best for us -- and that's for us to lose and secure the #1 pick.

Edited by Maureen
Please do not link to other message boards

who every wants their team to lose needs to hand in their fan card...

you worry about the draft at draft time not during the season

may I add the last 16 first Rd QBs, 8 had good/decent years, the other 8 were flops....

There hasnt been a QB coming out of college with this kind of Rep since I can remember. Everyone, and I meen everyone believes this guy is going to be great. That dosnt make it so, but the odds are in our favor. I think Jacksonville lets us win because they dont want to face Luck for 14 years. I think you do whats best for your team. This game neens nothing to Indy unless the outcome takes us out of the draft for Luck. You tell us to hand in our fan card when Luck goes somewhere else and we go the next 10 years with guys like Painter. Finding Peyton was the Gem in the pile, Lets do it again.

This "turn in your fan card" garbage needs to stop right now. The people still posting on this board are probably the best fans the colts organization has. The fair weather fans have all purchased their rodgers jerseys and are waiting for the colts to be a 13-3 team again before they start rooting for the colts again.

Jaric has hit the nail on the head here -- while I'm not rooting for the Colts to tank (that would be an embarrassment to the entire franchise and wouldn't be worth any pick), as fans I think we have the right to root for the Colts to lose here. There is no question that the #1 pick has more tangible value than the #3 pick. Does 3-13 have more tangible value than 2-14? Probably not. heck, there's talk on the Jaguars message boards about THEM tanking to keep Luck out of the AFC South. This just goes to show that out biggest rivals know what's best for us -- and that's for us to lose and secure the #1 pick.

I just saw what you posted and I like it. I have thought about the Jags tanking it also. We love the Colts, thats why we are here. Ive been called every kind of fan known to God but have been watching them since 1967, Lets getR done and get Luck. All Hail Peyton. Thats also my dogs name Edited by Maureen
Quoted link to other message board

To want this team to win is so very short sighted.....

A win next Sunday changes NOTHING -- A loss and the #1 pick sets this team up to either take their next franchise QB or trade that pick for a load of picks to use next year and going forward.

To win and get a #3 pick....gets you a good college player and nothing else.

Anyone who wants this team to do well in 2012 and beyond really should be rooting for them to get the #1 pick next April.

So if next week's game were at LOC instead of at Jax, you would want the fans to boo when we score points? Should every Colt fan wear a Jax jersey?

Wow, i guess those crazy cheering fans Thursday night were all being short sighted? How dare they!!

Sorry, ust trying to understand how i am supposed to root "against" my team??

may I add the last 16 first Rd QBs, 8 had good/decent years, the other 8 were flops....

Lol turn in my fan card cause i want what's best for this organization that I have rooted for since 1991. My fan card lol. U seem to hold a Peyton manning fan card and just don't want him pushed out if Indy. Everybody on this forum is a colts fan and most likely like the other person said the colts best fans. Not every fan takes time out of there day to Join a forum dedicated to the colts. We r all colts fans and saying otherwise makes me question your fan card and wonder if it's a troll card.

I agree

The first pick is supposed to go to the worst team.........and if that's not us........that's the way it is

1st pick would obviously make things easier.

If we don't get it, we don't get it

It is so ironic to me that all these division games were put at the end of the season in response to the colts resting the starters in 2009.......to give the Colts a reason to play competitive football

Its ok to have the " i dont care" attidude but many of us do care and want the best for our team. The other comment about the "world not ending" is true also. But our team will CHANGE because of what happens next week. In the biggest way since we got Manning. There is no denying that, so I believe we have to get Luck because I remember after Unitus we didnt have a QB untill Jones, and it was a long search untill Manning. I believe If Luck turns out to be 60% of Manning it is worth the loss.

At this point FO has pretty much said they will use 1st pick and not trade... Well I think a Colts Fan card holder, wants a pick in the draft that could effect and help team for next 10 years, not a pick where the pick holds a clip board for 3 or 4 years and contributes for 6 years... 4 years from now

Unless... perish the thought.... the front office is lying thru their teeth about our draft strategy OR about the true picture of Peyton's medical outlook.

We do, after all, remember Polian's characterization of Marvin's injury.... he's day to day to week to week to week to month to ultimately..... "thanks for all you've done for us Marvin"

I'll believe nothing about this or any other draft 100% until Goodell's at the microphone in NY.

Colts fans really oughta know this by now.

So if next week's game were at LOC instead of at Jax, you would want the fans to boo when we score points? Should every Colt fan wear a Jax jersey?

Wow, i guess those crazy cheering fans Thursday night were all being short sighted? How dare they!!

All you need to do to understand is READ what people are saying. It might help your delema.

really...I hope your not as dense as you're coming across. Is it that difficult to undertand that getting the #1 pick is in the best interest of the franchise for 2012 and beyond?

I dont expect the fans at the game to boo "their" team....but I would at least hope that most are smart enough to realize that a win, is not in the best interest of the franchise at this point.

Whats best for the Colts organization is for the Colts to lose next week. I have no idea what the point in winning next week would do except hurt the Colts chances of getting the #1 pick. Everyone saying that Luck could be a flop, bust etc. using that same logic Manning could just as well play poorly next year. We don't know if Manning will return to the Manning of old.

And how many of the previous busts were touted as the best QB prospect since Elway and also were able to be tutored by one of the greatest QBs of all time? none.

Go back to 1997, Colts vs. Vikings. Colts win, they would get the #2 pick, Chargers would get the #1 overall pick. Now tell me, do you still root for the Colts knowing they would have potentially gotten Leaf instead of Manning? Rooting against your team for one game in return of a franchise caliber QB for the next decade is not a bad thing.

really...I hope your not as dense as you're coming across. Is it that difficult to undertand that getting the #1 pick is in the best interest of the franchise for 2012 and beyond?

I dont expect the fans at the game to boo "their" team....but I would at least hope that most are smart enough to realize that a win, is not in the best interest of the franchise at this point.

Not loving the personal attack - let's be civil, we both root for the same team.

How are fans supposed to act at the games? Do they sit on their hands when we score?

I agree more with the person that roots for Minny and Miami to win out. That way I'm not rooting against my guys.

I think the problem was a few(silenthill and jaric to name a few) came on here Thursday night and bashed the win and it made a few others quite mad. I understand the Colts can't really gain much from winning but lose more (ie draft pick). At game time, I would think we all root for the Colts, I know I jumped out of my chair after R. Wayne's TD catch and enjoyed the victory against Houston.

But there is one thing everyone must remember, these Colts players are still playing for the season, their job, which maybe for the Colts or another team that might need their service next year. Their going to go out and give it there all, so as a fan I will go out and give it my all to root for them. I will let the chips fall after next Sunday and go from there.

From

Said Orlovsky: "I can understand ... everyone saying, you know, 'Is it worth the win?,' everything like that, but to the 53 guys in the locker room, any time we step on the field, we're representing ourselves and our families -- we're playing for our jobs and our livelihoods -- and we're out there competing, we don't know any other way."

I voted lose and get the first pick. I am not affraid of saying that. It does not make me a bad fan at all, I am a die hard Colts fan and will always be. But if getting Luck will help our team for years to come, then I believe that step needs to be taken. 3-13 means nothing and this QB could be the future for our team. Some have not panned out for teams in the draft, but I believe this guy is different.

Whats best for the Colts organization is for the Colts to lose next week. I have no idea what the point in winning next week would do except hurt the Colts chances of getting the #1 pick. Everyone saying that Luck could be a flop, bust etc. using that same logic Manning could just as well play poorly next year. We don't know if Manning will return to the Manning of old.

And how many of the previous busts were touted as the best QB prospect since Elway and also were able to be tutored by one of the greatest QBs of all time? none.

Go back to 1997, Colts vs. Vikings. Colts win, they would get the #2 pick, Chargers would get the #1 overall pick. Now tell me, do you still root for the Colts knowing they would have potentially gotten Leaf instead of Manning? Rooting against your team for one game in return of a franchise caliber QB for the next decade is not a bad thing.

I could not agree with you more! Very well said!!

EXACTLY!

I think the problem was a few(silenthill and jaric to name a few) came on here Thursday night and bashed the win and it made a few others quite mad. I understand the Colts can't really gain much from winning but lose more (ie draft pick). At game time, I would think we all root for the Colts, I know I jumped out of my chair after R. Wayne's TD catch and enjoyed the victory against Houston.

But there is one thing everyone must remember, these Colts players are still playing for the season, their job, which maybe for the Colts or another team that might need their service next year. Their going to go out and give it there all, so as a fan I will go out and give it my all to root for them. I will let the chips fall after next Sunday and go from there.

From

Said Orlovsky: "I can understand ... everyone saying, you know, 'Is it worth the win?,' everything like that, but to the 53 guys in the locker room, any time we step on the field, we're representing ourselves and our families -- we're playing for our jobs and our livelihoods -- and we're out there competing, we don't know any other way."

I'm just happy to hear Orlovsky show some fire in his comments about these last few games.

I don't know what changed in the last 2 weeks but it would've been nice if more of the other 52 guys fought harder earlier in the season and maybe win 2 or 3 more games.... and in the process not plunge their fan base into this circular firing squad over who to draft or not draft with the 1st pick.

Anyway, I respect Orlovsky for acknowledging the disgust and frustration a lot of fans feel and not lashing out at them about it. He might not have the greatest QB skills we've ever seen.... but at least he's willing to take accountability.

Edited by Maureen
Remove crude comment

Prove it.

Lets see these posts I made Thursday night bashing the win. Point them out, because I'm calling ^cowpatties^ on this.

Yeah right.

What exactly does a win do next week? Makes us 3-13 instead of 2-14?

Do you think the Colts should win every pre season game they play too, or do you not care about that? Next weeks game might as well be pre season. Winning does absolutely nothing, except hurt our draft position.

I don't see how anyone who thinks a loss just might be in the best interest of this organizations future is not a real fan.

Its ok to have the " i dont care" attidude but many of us do care and want the best for our team. The other comment about the "world not ending" is true also. But our team will CHANGE because of what happens next week. In the biggest way since we got Manning. There is no denying that, so I believe we have to get Luck because I remember after Unitus we didnt have a QB untill Jones, and it was a long search untill Manning. I believe If Luck turns out to be 60% of Manning it is worth the loss.

I do care but, we play the hand we are dealt. That's all I'm saying

Lol turn in my fan card cause i want what's best for this organization that I have rooted for since 1991. My fan card lol. U seem to hold a Peyton manning fan card and just don't want him pushed out if Indy. Everybody on this forum is a colts fan and most likely like the other person said the colts best fans. Not every fan takes time out of there day to Join a forum dedicated to the colts. We r all colts fans and saying otherwise makes me question your fan card and wonder if it's a troll card.

Yes we are all fans

Talk of turning in your fan card needs to stop. It's inflammatory. them's fighten words for sure

Let me see.

Caldwell plays to win, but.....

Painter plays to win, but...

Hughes plays to win, but...

We have kept them all season. Let 'em play vs Jax so we can really see if we've done the right thing. And I'm sure there are others that need some more seasoning and/or evaluation. Especially under real live "play to win regular season game", not just meaningless game, as preseason is. Right?

Every Colts fan that understands anything about the big picture, the draft, and the importance of a franchise QB (which after this year should be all of them but isn't) wants the Colts to lose Sunday. They just don't want to want that for fear of having their fandom questioned. So a lot of people will bleat the idealistic "root for your team in all circumstances" company line. I don't even understand it, rooting for a loss this one week is rooting for the best interest of the franchise. I don't even know how anyone could question that. But at any rate, I will be rooting against the Colts this Sunday. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I take comfort in knowing that win or lose this Sunday, I'll be back to rooting for the Colts as hard as anyone week 1 next season

Every Colts fan that understands anything about the big picture, the draft, and the importance of a franchise QB (which after this year should be all of them but isn't) wants the Colts to lose Sunday. They just don't want to want that for fear of having their fandom questioned. So a lot of people will bleat the idealistic "root for your team in all circumstances" company line. I don't even understand it, rooting for a loss this one week is rooting for the best interest of the franchise. I don't even know how anyone could question that. But at any rate, I will be rooting against the Colts this Sunday. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I take comfort in knowing that win or lose this Sunday, I'll be back to rooting for the Colts as hard as anyone week 1 next season

Well put