Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Landon Collins/Damarious Randall Smokescreen?

As demonstrated by recent information leaks by teams looking to manipulate draft stock, I find the late ranking upgrade of Damarious Randall interesting and useful for a number of reasons.  You wonder what has come to light that wasn't on tape and common knowledge already.  Chucky's little ESPN Special with Mel Kiper tried to paint Collins as a possible one trick pony of a box SS, a dying NFL breed.  Granted, he's been caught on tape looking bewildered in coverage in some big situations.  But the talent and work ethic are there and if there's something we need, it's an enforcer that can cover but also rattle a RB's teeth coming through the hole.  We've got to stop the run.

I've been keeping a close eye on many websites, namely Walter Football, and I commend the Colts organization for being very tight-lipped about draft intentions, rumors, etc.  That being said, it's intriguing that after only a couple generalized tidbits from Mike Wells over the past few months, there wasn't any major chatter until the past 24 hours when it was quoted that "I was told there’s a high percentage chance the Indianapolis Colts will select Damarious Randall if he’s still on the board at 29." - Tony Pauline (Walter Football - NFL Rumors 4/29). 

With the exception of the Steelers, who may roll the dice on a fallen Edge like Gregory or Ray, the Eagles are the other logical suitor for Collins.  They lost out on the McCourty sweepstakes and would likely love to get their guy right away to complete that backfield.  All Byron Jones' aside, I could definitely see Chip Kelly pulling the trigger on the familiar Pac-12 Randall, possibly pushing Collins right down to us at 29.  We may never see the "guy pulling all the levers behind the curtain," but I think after being quiet for so long, Indy's last minute rumor of liking Randall could be a brilliant ploy to force the action on him and bring Collins right down to us. 

Let's hope if that does happen, he turns out to be the guy we hope he is!  For the record, I'm not married to the idea of Collins as our 1st rounder just to fill a need, but I do find this quite entertaining. 

All thoughts and comments welcome.  Only 18 hours and 30 minutes to the draft, but hey... who's counting?!!!

As demonstrated by recent information leaks by teams looking to manipulate draft stock, I find the late ranking upgrade of Damarious Randall interesting and useful for a number of reasons.  You wonder what has come to light that wasn't on tape and common knowledge already.  Chucky's little ESPN Special with Mel Kiper tried to paint Collins as a possible one trick pony of a box SS, a dying NFL breed.  Granted, he's been caught on tape looking bewildered in coverage in some big situations.  But the talent and work ethic are there and if there's something we need, it's an enforcer that can cover but also rattle a RB's teeth coming through the hole.  We've got to stop the run.

I've been keeping a close eye on many websites, namely Walter Football, and I commend the Colts organization for being very tight-lipped about draft intentions, rumors, etc.  That being said, it's intriguing that after only a couple generalized tidbits from Mike Wells over the past few months, there wasn't any major chatter until the past 24 hours when it was quoted that "I was told there’s a high percentage chance the Indianapolis Colts will select Damarious Randall if he’s still on the board at 29." - Tony Pauline (Walter Football - NFL Rumors 4/29). 

With the exception of the Steelers, who may roll the dice on a fallen Edge like Gregory or Ray, the Eagles are the other logical suitor for Collins.  They lost out on the McCourty sweepstakes and would likely love to get their guy right away to complete that backfield.  All Byron Jones' aside, I could definitely see Chip Kelly pulling the trigger on the familiar Pac-12 Randall, possibly pushing Collins right down to us at 29.  We may never see the "guy pulling all the levers behind the curtain," but I think after being quiet for so long, Indy's last minute rumor of liking Randall could be a brilliant ploy to force the action on him and bring Collins right down to us. 

Let's hope if that does happen, he turns out to be the guy we hope he is!  For the record, I'm not married to the idea of Collins as our 1st rounder just to fill a need, but I do find this quite entertaining. 

All thoughts and comments welcome.  Only 18 hours and 30 minutes to the draft, but hey... who's counting?!!!

i am...I don't have a problem

This kinda reminds me of the eagles and marcus smith last year. They reached on him, and he was one of the worst, if not the worst pick in the 1st round in the 2014 draft. I kinda feel like if we choose Randall, we will get 0 production out of him like the eagles got out of Marcus Smith last year. No proof behind it, just a similar reach situation and a gut feeling.

I don't see Chip Kelley going S in round 1. He'd be reaching. If he wants a S, he'd be smart to trade back. Otherwise, they will go WR.

I posted yesterday that a surprise pick for our Colts could be Cameron Erving the versatile OL from FSU. Not a name I've heard a lot about until just the last few days. Don't be surprised.....

Whoever said SS are a dying breed hasn't been watching a lot of football. Having that middle field of the field enforcer is still valuable. The difference that Cam Chancellor makes on his defense is un-mistakable.

The signing of Landry showed that Pagano still believes in that philosophy as well. Landry was supposed to be the enforcer but it never worked out that way. So when your have a guy like Collins, I think there is definitely a lot of interest there. I don't think it's smokescreen at all. I wouldn't be supposed if we even traded up to get Collins.

I also think the interest in Damarius Randall is legit because he has easily fixable flaws. Wouldn't be supposed to see Grigson draft both Collins and Randall. You don't work out like 5 safeties for no reasons.

I think Randall was always the #1 FS in the draft just not the top overall safety which is SS Landon Collins. Guess it's all about preference, do you want the box safety or the cover safety.

I also think teams Gms and scouts had Randall this high the whole time it's just the media heads finally caught up to it

I think Randall was always the #1 FS in the draft just not the top overall safety which is SS Landon Collins. Guess it's all about preference, do you want the box safety or the cover safety.

I also think teams GMs and scouts had Randall this high the whole time it's just the media heads finally caught up to it

Charles Davis said something to that effect on the last episode of path to the draft. That often times when you hear that a certain player is rising up boards, it's really just everyone else catching up to the scouting (the actual team scouts) community.

I think it was in reference to Byron Jones at the time, because everyone was just saying he shot up boards after the combine.

Whoever said SS are a dying breed hasn't been watching a lot of football. Having that middle field of the field enforcer is still valuable. The difference that Cam Chancellor makes on his defense is un-mistakable.

The signing of Landry showed that Pagano still believes in that philosophy as well. Landry was supposed to be the enforcer but it never worked out that way. So when your have a guy like Collins, I think there is definitely a lot of interest there. I don't think it's smokescreen at all. I wouldn't be supposed if we even traded up to get Collins.

I also think the interest in Damarius Randall is legit because he has easily fixable flaws. Wouldn't be supposed to see Grigson draft both Collins and Randall. You don't work out like 5 safeties for no reasons.

Opposed

The smokescreen element of the first round is pretty funny.  There's a real CIA/KGB element to the whole thing, which makes me wonder how much of a science NFL front offices make of it.  I mean, most organizations end up with unintentional leaks.  Like a scout says something off-hand to a prospect's father, who mentions it to a beat reporter, who tweets it to the world.  So, to counteract that, do most organizations try to replicate the process ten times over with false rumors through similar channels?  It would be fascinating to hear what really happens, but we never really will. 

Don`t see him filling a need. our Safeties need to be interchangeable. Not Landry like. Ugh!

As far as Chip Kelly and the Eagles go, I'm pretty much completely sold that they're going to package 2 picks and Fletcher Cox, potentially even DeMarco Murray, to move up to #2 and take Mariota.

Colts-wise, I really want Landon Collins. Simple. If they're not able to get him, it won't be the end of the world by any means, but our safety depth is questionable at best, and he could start immediately.

Archived