Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What pick do you want in round 1 one day before the draft?

The draft is almost here and I'm sure we all are excited for this fun time. We have a full slate of picks for the first time since 2012 and we have a chance to really build our team going forward (especially the defense). My Question to everyone here is, what pick do you want one day before the draft in round 1? There are a few rules to this question:

1.) You have to say who you want, not who you think we will get.

2.) The pick has to be semi-realistic at least (has a 50% chance or more of being there)

3.) If it's an unusual player or an unusual position, explain your reasoning.

My pick is Eddie Goldman at this point. He's a solid run stopper that would instantly improve our D-Line and I think he has at least a 50% chance of being there. My opinion is he is the right person to choose and he is the person I want to have for the future. If we don't take a D-Lineman in round 1, the options will significantly get worse in round 2. Goldman is my guy, and I want to secure him for the future.

What is your pick in round 1?

Eric Kendrick. Best coverage LB in the draft. Middle of field coverage was the main weakness of the defense last year. Kendricks turns that into a strength.

I agree here too....the team seems to be high on the DL (as most are young and still developing). Run D wasn't bad at all for the most part (aside from trying to figure out NEs blocking schemes). But top qbs ate up the middle of the field.

Which is also why I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts took Damarious Randall as well (depending on who is still available)...his strength was also a weakness too...a safety that can cover.

I know it doesn't answer the question as stated, but I wouldn't be dissapointed if the colts traded out of the first round, locking up an extra 2nd round pick. I do really like Randall. He is a ball hawk, but idk if the value is there at 29. However, I trust Grigson. If thats your guy, go get him.

It's so hard to say the good thing about this draft is a lot of skill positions should go early which we are pretty much set at. You would think like most teams BPA. But right now before the draft starts I would love to get Kevin Johnson or Marcus Peters at corner. With either I truly believe we have the best cb corp in the league by mid season.

I cant take it down to one guy really because there are a lot of guys that I think are likely to be available that warrant serious consideration.

All I would say is "DEFENSE". In my mind the 1st round pick has to be on the defensive side of the ball.  

A selection I would love to take at #29 are:

Eric Kendricks - Top overall ILB in the class. Excellent in coverage, instinctive vs the run. Excellent leader and terrific football character.

Jordan Phillips - Athletic NT who slightly reminds me of Dontari Poe with his size and athleticism. Excellent vs the run and can rush the passer.

Landon Collins - Top Safety in an admittedly weak class. Good run support player with coverage skills. Likely need to trade up for him. 

Marcus Peters - Tough man-to-man corner who could take over for Toler after the season. Talented kid who has one or two character issues.

Shane Ray - Suprising inclusion. But with his recent arrest, it isn't out of the realms of possibility that he could fall to us. Tenacious edge rusher with an endless motor and good size for OLB. If his interviews check out then I'd be okay with taking him.

It's hard to choose between Collins and Goldman for me. I think for now I'll saw Collins because I think we can get Jordan Phillips in the 2nd round possibly.

Colts could use a hard hitting guy who "sets the tone" for the defense. A truly nasty player. Haven't had one since Bob Sanders.

I dont want Ray, Gregory or Lael Collins at this point. I think they would qualify as "migraine" players, according to Grigson's reference towards character concerns. Anyone already in substance abuse program is probably a no-go.

I would really like to see a defensive lineman, offensive lineman or one of the two top safeties (Landon Collins or Damarious Randall).

I would pick NT Danny Shelton. Depending on who you ask, I would say there may be a 50% chance he is available. All the mocks have him in the top 15, but there have been a few reports suggesting he has been overrated through the draft process.

Mayock said a week or two ago that it wouldnt surprise him if Shelton fell out of the first. Another writer (cant remember who, all the draft articles have mushed my brain) claimed that no team in the top ten are considering him and the absolute earliest he will be off the board is 12 to Cleveland. If Cleveland doesnt bite, Shelton could fall out of the top twenty.

If Shelton is off the board, I would be happy with Eddie Goldman, Arik Armstead, Malcom Brown, or Jordan Phillips on D Line. I think Carl Davis is a second round guy at this point, too much of a reach.

On o-line I would be okay with Peat, Clemmings or any of the projected first rd talents other then Lael. Not that I think Lael is a bad player, just wouldnt like to see the phrase "murder investigation" associated with this team. Wouldnt mind Cameron Erving either, but it is unlikely he is our first pick.

If S, OL, DL are barren by the time we pick, backup plans would include Kevin Johnson, Jalen Collins and Stephone Anthony.

I dont want Ray, Gregory or Lael Collins at this point. I think they would qualify as "migraine" players, according to Grigson's reference towards character concerns. Anyone already in substance abuse program is probably a no-go.

I would really like to see a defensive lineman, offensive lineman or one of the two top safeties (Landon Collins or Damarious Randall).

I would pick NT Danny Shelton. Depending on who you ask, I would say there may be a 50% chance he is available. All the mocks have him in the top 15, but there have been a few reports suggesting he has been overrated through the draft process.

Mayock said a week or two ago that it wouldnt surprise him if Shelton fell out of the first. Another writer (cant remember who, all the draft articles have mushed my brain) claimed that no team in the top ten are considering him and the absolute earliest he will be off the board is 12 to Cleveland. If Cleveland doesnt bite, Shelton could fall out of the top twenty.

If Shelton is off the board, I would be happy with Eddie Goldman, Arik Armstead, Malcom Brown, or Jordan Phillips on D Line. I think Carl Davis is a second round guy at this point, too much of a reach.

On o-line I would be okay with Peat, Clemmings or any of the projected first rd talents other then Lael. Not that I think Lael is a bad player, just wouldnt like to see the phrase "murder investigation" associated with this team. Wouldnt mind Cameron Erving either, but it is unlikely he is our first pick.

If S, OL, DL are barren by the time we pick, backup plans would include Kevin Johnson, Jalen Collins and Stephone Anthony.

The problem with Shelton is that the Browns pick again at 19. They've been a team that everyone sees Shelton going to, and if they don't take him at 12 they could very well take him at 19

Eric Kendricks or Landon Collins. 

There may be more talented players available with major baggage (Ray, Peters, Gregory, etc) that aren't worth the risk.  Collins I like because he's more of a SS with box support.  There's also a good chance that Perryman, McKinney, or Stephone Anthony (and Paul Dawson + baggage) are there in the 2nd round, while there's a big perceived dropoff after Collins and Damarious Randall. 

Unless Collins is there in the 1st, I like the idea of trading down and double tapping the 2nd and 3rd rounds if we can.  It's a deep draft.

Landon Collins. Really I'd be ok with any offensive tackle (Flowers, Humphries, Peat), but I feel like Collins is this year's player that always gets overlooked despite oozing with talent and toughness. I'm not high on Jordan Phillips or Eddie Goldman at all. I would love to take a d-lineman here, but they're simply not good enough, and I don't believe they will ever turn out to be worth the pick.

RD1: Odighizuwa DE

RD2: Donavan Smith ROT

RD3: Henry Anderson DE

RD4: Buck Allen RB

RD5: Kurtis Drummond FS

RD6: Malcom Brown RB

RD6: Jordan Richards SS

RD7: Trenton Brown ROT

RD7: Jeffrey Whitikar DT

Switch one of those running backs with David Cobb and I'd be stoked with that draft

Denzyl Perryman

Old school LB, reminds me a little of Ray Lewis. He'd bring the tough hard-nosed mentality some of us wanted with Suh. Being from the U doesn't hurt either, especially considering our team is essentially miami U at this point lol

Wouldn't mind Damarius Randall either but prefer Tartt in the second.

Would love to have peters but im pretty sure he'll be gone before we pick

La'el Collins possibly as well if everything is cleared up with him and if we go O line

The problem with Shelton is that the Browns pick again at 19. They've been a team that everyone sees Shelton going to, and if they don't take him at 12 they could very well take him at 19

Maybe, or maybe they take a guy like Malcom at 19 or trade both picks for Mariota. Or maybe trade 19 for Bradford.

I dont know what percent chance it is that Shelton falls to us, but hes tge guy on the board that would improve our team the most. We need a true 3-4 nose tackle, and if we are close, in punchers range to get him, I think trading up to 19-28 range might be the right call.

We'll find out tomorrow night. I just hope we land a guy with a true first round grade, and not picking from leftovers at a position of need.

Sounds like the general consensus on here is Landon Collins, Eric Kendricks, or Marcus Peters. I'd want Peters most of all, but I think it's very unlikely we pick him or even get the chance to pick him.

If the Ravens pass on Peters, I'd say there's a good chance he'd be there.  I haven't heard great things about his ability to get along with players or staff, but I'm no expert either.  The thought of having a press corner like him opposite Vontae Davis is riveting.  In addition, you could opt to dump Greg Toler and his $5.5 million cap hit and put that cash into remaining free agents... or the impending 2012 class re-up contracts.